• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Tetiro

Smash Ace
That Direct was exactly what we needed instead of what we wanted. It cemented 2019 as a good year for Nintendo gamers. But also gave us updates. More importantly, it got more of the announcements out the way leaving the rest of the year to focus on new stuff.

I do have concerns. Right now in Nintendo's 1st Party Line-Up, April and May stick out like sore thumbs with no titles at all (minus Box-Boy as a digital). It is very concerning. Hopefully they can shadow drop something!

Now, for some comfort talk.

Guys, Golden Sun was very unlikely to have happened last night. And this is regardless of "sales, fandom etc". It hasn't even been a year since the release of Mario Tennis Aces (8 months to be exact). And if we use the 1-2 year gap between games, that means at the earliest a game would release is June this year. Which as you saw has been reserved for Mario Maker.

It is more likely we will see something released in between December 2019 and June 2020 as that is 1.5 to 2 years (using the worst average on my statistics as a minimum). And that's fine. Last thing you want is a rushed game. In fact, if they revealed GS today I'd be very worried about its quality due to the lack of time.

Instead, we should take this as a sigh of relief as it means whatever the next Camelot game is, Mario Golf or Golden Sun. It's going to get the development time it deserves.

Patience Earth Adepts. Patience. We'll find out in time!

Kalaam

Smash Ace
Hopefully this means GS remake wouldn't end up stuck on the 3DS.
Given that it is a 3DS engine ported on switch in a rush, I think it's safe to assume it won't.
Camelot already has an engine for the switch, with rather advanced physic and all. And nothing for the 3DS.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Hopefully this means GS remake wouldn't end up stuck on the 3DS.
It's honestly looking like they're done with major support on the 3DS which is understandable seeing how even first party games have been recently struggling sales wise and seeing how the presence of 3DS games in directs has been dropping over time now being flat out absent in this direct. I have a theory that some 3DS projects are being moved to the Switch seeing how the Link's Awakening remake was heavily rumored to be for the 3DS yet it ended up becoming a Switch title. Maybe a potential new Golden Sun was a 3DS title at first and is being moved to the Switch, time will tell and we just need to keep the demand going of course

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Yeah two positives for GS after that were the lack of any other Camelot game and the feeling that we can now be almost certain that a new GS wouldn't be on 3DS.
There was a lot of JRPG stuff shown, which is kinda good in that it shows Nintendo's support for the genre but also means there isn't a huge vacuum there that GS could fill (although I don't think this would be a deterrent for Camelot or Nintendo if they really wanted to do GS).

D

Deleted member

Well, I wasn't amazed with the direct, but I sure am happy Verge got ****ed yesterday.

Revenge for him being a **** (IIRC) about Isaac being an assist :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
Well, I wasn't amazed with the direct, but I sure am happy Verge got ****ed yesterday.

Revenge for him being a **** (IIRC) about Isaac being an assist :laugh:
Thanks to the Grinch, there was loads of hostility in terms of unfakeable Grinch vs good records leakers. While most leakers said they believe Grinch is false due to AT being in there and no Incineroar, Verge dropped the Isaac bombshell and posted a smug John Cena gif along it.

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
If I can take anything from this direct is the presence of JRPG on it, seems like a lot of them are making it into the Switch and seeing how heavily third party those were, it may good things for GS and for all of us, I bet Nintendo wouldn't want out of the money if the JRPG keep performing well on the Switch.
Also as some have previously pointed, looks like if GS anything was started as something for 3DS, Nintendo is moving them on to the Switch, let's hope rumors about the remake are true.

By the way! I modified the pin design and was wondering, if you like it, would any of you be interested on pre-ordering one? That way I can fund the production~

Attachments

D

Deleted member

I find it funny too how the potential first party game reveals are more hype than any potential third party game reveals.

For Nintendo, you have Pikmin, F-Zero, Mother, Golden Sun, Mario RPGs, and even people just want Luigi's Mansion 3 and Animal Crossing news. There aren't any of these kinds of desired announcements for third party games, to my knowledge.

This is why I wanted one of these games to be revealed in the direct. It's why it was pretty bland IMO (except for Verge getting destroyed of course).

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
For Nintendo, you have Pikmin, F-Zero, Mother, Golden Sun, Mario RPGs, and even people just want Luigi's Mansion 3 and Animal Crossing news. There aren't any of these kinds of desired announcements for third party games, to my knowledge.
yeah, the only 3rd-party announcement I see people hoping for is Banjo-Kazooie.

maybe some people want Cuphead on Switch (I'd like that too), but that's even less-likely than Banjo.

I loved the Deltarune on Switch announcement though.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

yeah, the only announcement I see people hoping for is Banjo-Kazooie.

I loved the Deltarune on Switch announcement though.
And, technically, even then, Banjo-Kazooie was a Nintendo game first before Microsoft bought it and made Nuts and Bolts garbage. I think they will be part of wave 1 DLC though.

Was Deltarune for Switch heavily rumored and hyped up for it's potential reveal Switch tho? I still think the first party game reveals are more hype than the third party game reveals

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Was Deltarune for Switch heavily rumored and hyped up for it's potential Switch tho? I still think the first party game reveals are more hype than the third party game reveals
No, it wasn't.

It's actually kinda funny; Toby originally wasn't sure what consoles it would be on since he said it wasn't close to being finished.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
My takeaways from yesterday are that the Switch is turning into a very strong JRPG console, and that Nintendo is still interested in major remakes like Link's Awakening. Realistically it is too soon after Mario Tennis Aces for a Golden Sun remake from Camelot to have been anything more than a "we're working on it" announcement, and honestly, it's the kind of game I wouldn't expect Nintendo to announce until it at minimum has footage they can show. I'm optimistic that we could get something Golden Sun on Switch, but I fully expect to have to wait a while to get it.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
My takeaways from yesterday are that the Switch is turning into a very strong JRPG console, and that Nintendo is still interested in major remakes like Link's Awakening. Realistically it is too soon after Mario Tennis Aces for a Golden Sun remake from Camelot to have been anything more than a "we're working on it" announcement, and honestly, it's the kind of game I wouldn't expect Nintendo to announce until it at minimum has footage they can show. I'm optimistic that we could get something Golden Sun on Switch, but I fully expect to have to wait a while to get it.
Honestly, I'm not so sure. I think that early development wasn't handled by Camelot (probably Monolith) and they finished up XB2 in late 2017, so they could've had several months to work on GS (aside from a probably smaller team working on Torna). It's entirely possible we still see Golden Sun this year, and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see it at E3, as a major announcement.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
In light of the direct, I still stand by my earlier statement of never feeling that Nintendo is the reason for the Golden Sun limbo, just the Takahashi brothers. Since the Golden Sun port was dropped back in 2014 and it doesn't seem like this garnered any interviews/comments from the Takahashi brothers. It feels more so a port Nintendo decided to do, rather than the Takahashi brothers wanting to see if the demand is still there.

I know we ultimately wrote the letters to Nintendo and at one point they did ask the Takahashi to make the third GS game, so it seems like that could be the case again. But back then, the Takahashi brothers talked more openly about the possibility of another game, with Nintendo asking them being the final nail in the coffin. This time, radio silence. At most just the little nods and hints from Aces that they still think about it.

Even with Nintendo being woke about Golden Sun, I don't know, seems kind of hard getting past the creators not feeling they're up for the challenge in that they can do right by fans to produce a worthy game (especially since Dark Dawn gets a ton of hate). Would Nintendo just hand Golden Sun over to someone else or is it just more realistic that they'd respect the creators (consider the series a triology) and just move on with other rpgs? At the end of the day, I'll still get excited for directs and expect a Golden Sun announcement, but I still have that nightmare scenario in the back of my head that nothing's been doing, whether that's remakes or GS4.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
By the way! I modified the pin design and was wondering, if you like it, would any of you be interested on pre-ordering one? That way I can fund the production~
I would prefer, and maybe buy, a pin with only the sun part, or at least without the spells icons.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
No mention of a new Mario Golf game is definitely a plus for Golden Sun. I wouldn’t expect an announcement in a Direct anyways. Think it’s more likely to be an E3 thing.

I thought the Direct overall was okay. Excited for Mario Maker 2, Zelda: LA remake, FE, and even that new Astral Chain game looks cool. Platinum makes good games so excited for that. And I really enjoyed the Yoshi demo. It’s pretty cute and relaxing. I might even get the Captain Toad game since I haven’t gotten it yet.

Anyone know if FF9 is worth it? Never played a FF game before. I know I’ll definitely pick up 7 when it comes out.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Honestly, I'm not so sure. I think that early development wasn't handled by Camelot (probably Monolith) and they finished up XB2 in late 2017, so they could've had several months to work on GS (aside from a probably smaller team working on Torna). It's entirely possible we still see Golden Sun this year, and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see it at E3, as a major announcement.
Monolith has its own IPs and assists with large scale projects like Mario and Zelda. They are no likelier to be making GS than HAL would be making Yoshi or DK.

No mention of a new Mario Golf game is definitely a plus for Golden Sun. I wouldn’t expect an announcement in a Direct anyways. Think it’s more likely to be an E3 thing.
Why not, they announce things like Zelda and Smash Bros. in Directs...

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Monolith has its own IPs and assists with large scale projects like Mario and Zelda. They are no likelier to be making GS than HAL would be making Yoshi or DK.

Why not, they announce things like Zelda and Smash Bros. in Directs...
Because unlike those titles they probably wouldn’t think Golden Sun is big enough to warrant a Direct reveal? Wasn’t Dark Dawn also released at E3, and that’s before GS went into this dark hiatus.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Because unlike those titles they probably wouldn’t think Golden Sun is big enough to warrant a Direct reveal? Wasn’t Dark Dawn also released at E3, and that’s before GS went into this dark hiatus.
That was also before Nintendo started doing Directs.

As it is now, the line between Directs and E3 is starting to blur, and while E3 still has a bit of an edge for the bigger deal, it probably just all comes down to timing and scheduling. This Direct announced Zelda, but it also announced BoxBoy. The rules aren't that rigid.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
That was also before Nintendo started doing Directs.

As it is now, the line between Directs and E3 is starting to blur, and while E3 still has a bit of an edge for the bigger deal, it probably just all comes down to timing and scheduling. This Direct announced Zelda, but it also announced BoxBoy. The rules aren't that rigid.
That’s true. I didn’t think about that. Either way I’m hopeful for something at E3, but not expecting it. At this point even getting the first two games on the Switch would make me happy.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
If BoxBoy can get a direct reveal anything can

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
I would prefer, and maybe buy, a pin with only the sun part, or at least without the spells icons.
I understand that, I will see if it is possible to make both designs, I feel more comfortable with the added spells because I kinda fear Nintendo for unmodified things ahaha, anyways here is the corrected design, changed mercury and jupiter

Attachments

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That’s true. I didn’t think about that. Either way I’m hopeful for something at E3, but not expecting it. At this point even getting the first two games on the Switch would make me happy.
I just hope it’s not too long before the GBA shows up on the Switch. But who knows, we don’t even have SNES.

If BoxBoy can get a direct reveal anything can
Direct reveals aren’t that special... the only alternatives are E3 and, very occasionally, the Game Awards.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I thought the Direct overall was okay. Excited for Mario Maker 2, Zelda: LA remake, FE, and even that new Astral Chain game looks cool. Platinum makes good games so excited for that. And I really enjoyed the Yoshi demo. It’s pretty cute and relaxing. I might even get the Captain Toad game since I haven’t gotten it yet.

Anyone know if FF9 is worth it? Never played a FF game before. I know I’ll definitely pick up 7 when it comes out.
FF9 is great. Definitely a dark horse candidate for best Final Fantasy game.

You should play 7, that’s just history, but if after it you wanna pick up another one you can’t go wrong with 9.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
I'm currently upgrading my statistics coding to the very best it can be. Not only will it tell us the Year Gap Avg, it will also give us a set of realistic release dates (Earliest, Average and Latest).

I do need to test it though so bear with me!

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
I understand that, I will see if it is possible to make both designs, I feel more comfortable with the added spells because I kinda fear Nintendo for unmodified things ahaha, anyways here is the corrected design, changed mercury and jupiter
Actually, the sun design that is used everywhere for Smash content is not made by Nintendo but by a fan.

Smash Lord
TFW Shugo Takahashi (one of the co-creators of Golden Sun) likes my tweet. (I was just saying "good luck" to him in Japanese for a Dice GOTY Sports Award video he posted but the fact that he did is exciting)
1550288212722.png

D

Deleted member

With Super Mario Maker 2 should come more Mystery Mushroom costumes (although a few will definitely be removed, so so long, Shaun the Sheep). Here's to hoping SMM 2 gives ATs costumes.

ZelDan

Smash Master
With Super Mario Maker 2 should come more Mystery Mushroom costumes (although a few will definitely be removed, so so long, Shaun the Sheep). Here's to hoping SMM 2 gives ATs costumes.
I really hope they don't cut Mercedes Benz. Mercedes Benz = best character.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Cosplay Update!

The Pyjama Project is finished! It only took 1 day longer than planned and today I started working on Isaac fulltime meaning the Road to MCM has begun! Today's update, I finished the trousers with a nice yellow elastic to compliment them. They are super comfortable and fit very well to give the leggings feel. I have also dubbed the officially the Holy Trousers

20190217_124345.JPG

Up next is the under-tunic. The torso is made of two items of clothing. A jacket and under-tunic. I'll be using Boning for the first time which is scary but exciting. Wish me luck adepts!

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
So I wake up this morning, hop on my phone's news feed, and see a rumor article by Nintendo Everything talking about Nintendo reviving a 'dead and buried' game. But then I read this part:

“Let me hint at something, I guess. This is a thing that I’m going to write up at some point as soon as I get some more sources on it. But there’s a game that’s thought to be dead that Nintendo’s reviving, and it’s not one that people would expect. It was very much a title that was dead and buried – very officially cancelled.”

Here comes the wording. This makes me think that Golden Sun wouldn't qualify since it wasn't technically cancelled right? Dark Dawn came out so long after the first two Golden Sun games so kind of hard to think that a Golden Sun was in development but got cancelled due to long development time (though I could see it getting cancelled if the brothers feel it not being up to the quality they want and I don't know if Nintendo goes around announcing cancelled games anyways so who knows).

This article is dated for today, so I guess it wasn't something that had to do with the recent direct, or I'd totally think it was Rune Factory 5. The company that made the game went bankrupt and it was thought that it'd never see a sequel. It also says it's something that no one would expect so Eternal Darkness payoff? lol. Though this coupled with that one tweet about Nintendo having a title that 'fans would be delighted to know' certainly makes this rumor interesting. Unless that said title was already announced in the February direct.

https://nintendoeverything.com/rumo...ad-and-buried-game-kingdom-hearts-switch-talk

Last edited:

Smash Lord
So I wake up this morning, hop on my phone's news feed, and see a rumor article by Nintendo Everything talking about Nintendo reviving a 'dead and buried' game. But then I read this part:

“Let me hint at something, I guess. This is a thing that I’m going to write up at some point as soon as I get some more sources on it. But there’s a game that’s thought to be dead that Nintendo’s reviving, and it’s not one that people would expect. It was very much a title that was dead and buried – very officially cancelled.”

Here comes the wording. This makes me think that Golden Sun wouldn't qualify since it wasn't technically cancelled right? Dark Dawn came out so long after the first two Golden Sun games so kind of hard to think that a Golden Sun was in development but got cancelled due to long development time (though I could see it getting cancelled if the brothers feel it not being up to the quality they want and I don't know if Nintendo goes around announcing cancelled games anyways so who knows).

This article is dated for today, so I guess it wasn't something that had to do with the recent direct, or I'd totally think it was Rune Factory 5. The company that made the game went bankrupt and it was thought that it'd never see a sequel. It also says it's something that no one would expect so Eternal Darkness payoff? lol. Though this coupled with that one tweet about Nintendo having a title that 'fans would be delighted to know' certainly makes this rumor interesting. Unless that said title was already announced in the February direct.

https://nintendoeverything.com/rumo...ad-and-buried-game-kingdom-hearts-switch-talk
I mean both of those statements could be completely unrelated for all we know. One of them was from a Nintendo meeting and another one is a rumor from an insider. The rumor about the cancelled game being revived isn't necessarily meant to be a dormant IP as it's mentioning a specific game, heck it could be just a cancelled Mario, Zelda or Kirby game for all we know. If it's a Golden Sun game it should be a game in development that was cancelled behind the scenes but eh I doubt it. Anyway Golden Sun could still be on it's and I have a good feeling it may be coming in the next few years but I personally feel like these are unrelated.

Last edited:
Top Bottom