• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
So I'm trying to cover all the bases in my letter: remakes, Golden Sun 4, Smash DLC, Mario Tennis Aces cameo etc. anything that'll get Isaac and Golden Sun back into the spotlight for the current Nintendo audiences. I wonder if Nintendo's shock was cause they brought the original Golden Sun back after so many years for the Wii U virtual console back in 2014 to secretly gauge interest but the sales weren't too good. It did seem kind of random at the time, I don't know if Camelot or the Takahashi brothers ever commented on the return either. And why bring back Isaac's game a few months before Smash 4 and still remove his assist anyways.

Though I really wish Camelot had a twitter or if they do, I wonder how much more it'd help our case if they were more active into putting Golden Sun out there and would tweet things like, 'It's been a while since the last Golden Sun, wonder what the gangs up to?' or 'New Smash game? I'd know who'd make a perfect candidate! *insert gif of Isaac*'

Frosty Pops

Smash Journeyman
You know I should do honest character intros for the assists who would have been better as characters. I am sure the assist trophy coalition would like that.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So I'm trying to cover all the bases in my letter: remakes, Golden Sun 4, Smash DLC, Mario Tennis Aces cameo etc. anything that'll get Isaac and Golden Sun back into the spotlight for the current Nintendo audiences. I wonder if Nintendo's shock was cause they brought the original Golden Sun back after so many years for the Wii U virtual console back in 2014 to secretly gauge interest but the sales weren't too good. It did seem kind of random at the time, I don't know if Camelot or the Takahashi brothers ever commented on the return either. And why bring back Isaac's game a few months before Smash 4 and still remove his assist anyways.

Though I really wish Camelot had a twitter or if they do, I wonder how much more it'd help our case if they were more active into putting Golden Sun out there and would tweet things like, 'It's been a while since the last Golden Sun, wonder what the gangs up to?' or 'New Smash game? I'd know who'd make a perfect candidate! *insert gif of Isaac*'
You know things look bad for you as a company when you don't even have a Twitter account. Seriously, I tried to look it up, but can't find any.

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace

You know things look bad for you as a company when you don't even have a Twitter account. Seriously, I tried to look it up, but can't find any.
Camelot doesn’t have a Twitter, but one of the Takahashi bros does. He rarely uses it tho, it seems, and even then only seems to retweet Nintendo announcements.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The 2012-2018 period for Camelot in a nutshell:

I could understand if they're passionate for sports, but they clearly fell into a rut pretty hard. It'd do them some good to make anything different from a sports game at this point, never mind Golden Sun, even if MT Aces is a net improvement over Ultra Smash. Even a small game to sell on the e-shop for quick money would do.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Camelot doesn’t have a Twitter, but one of the Takahashi bros does. He rarely uses it tho, it seems, and even then only seems to retweet Nintendo announcements.
I wonder if he looks at his @'s though? I know there's a language barrier but even fan art of Golden Sun could help to show the interest still. Asisde from that, I do hope Camelot and the Takahashi brothers hear about the letter campaign in some way. Things like Golden Sunday and trademark making GS trend, I wonder if they've heard about any of these things.

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
I wonder if he looks at his @'s though? I know there's a language barrier but even fan art of Golden Sun could help to show the interest still. Asisde from that, I do hope Camelot and the Takahashi brothers hear about the letter campaign in some way. Things like Golden Sunday and trademark making GS trend, I wonder if they've heard about any of these things.
Well Twitter has some kind of translation system built in. It’s not perfect, but it gets the job done. If he does look at his @s then he definitely knows something is up. A lot of people tweeted at him during Golden Sunday so I’m sure he knows.

Beyond that it’s a toss up. He doesn’t use his twitter for personal use and hasn’t even retweeted anything since December.

Undella2

Smash Journeyman
I'm sending my letter tomorrow to the Nintendo office in Washington State.

I say things along the line of "there are many passionate Golden Sun fans who wish to see the series used more" throughout it.

Last edited:

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
You know, I thought of something regarding the Upgrade Assists movement...

For it to have the most effect, it would have to reach Japan, right? Are there much people there who would understand enough English to know what it is?
Obviously Nintendo would notice more if it does reach Japan, but we can really only do that by reaching an international audience, which only happens through continually reaching new heights on the Internet. Not to mention, if we get big enough over here, NoA or NoE may notice and communicate to NoJ, but I wouldn't be surprised if NoJ has translators on hand for stuff like this. It's really a matter of growing, because if we get big enough, there's no way Nintendo could not know about the movement.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Obviously Nintendo would notice more if it does reach Japan, but we can really only do that by reaching an international audience, which only happens through continually reaching new heights on the Internet. Not to mention, if we get big enough over here, NoA or NoE may notice and communicate to NoJ, but I wouldn't be surprised if NoJ has translators on hand for stuff like this. It's really a matter of growing, because if we get big enough, there's no way Nintendo could not know about the movement.
Had we been doing this constantly since Dark Dawn’s release, things would be far different. I hope we never make that same mistake again and go quiet again.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Um, does anyone know when this letter thing is supposed to happen?

I started losing track.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I wonder how much more it'd help our case if they were more active into putting Golden Sun out there and would tweet things like, 'It's been a while since the last Golden Sun, wonder what the gangs up to?' or 'New Smash game? I'd know who'd make a perfect candidate! *insert gif of Isaac*'
They're, uh, probably not legally allowed to do so, being owned by Nintendo and saying things like that could be considered leading on fans/false advertising. I mean, considering that Smash fans took a cool screenshot, misspeak from a PR guy, an item that looks like a generic sprout, and some ****ing chairs as hints, we would probably end up taking that as basically a confirmation.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
They're, uh, probably not legally allowed to do so, being owned by Nintendo and saying things like that could be considered leading on fans/false advertising. I mean, considering that Smash fans took a cool screenshot, misspeak from a PR guy, an item that looks like a generic sprout, and some ****ing chairs as hints, we would probably end up taking that as basically a confirmation.
But the 'OMG confirmed!' for every little thing is the best part of the Smash speculation hype cycle!

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
I've always enjoyed the fervor around Smash speculation, it's what makes it so much fun. It can get a little nasty at times (post-Isabelle comes to mind), but overall the fanbase is a joy to be a part of. We're a passionately dedicated fanbase, and while sometimes that becomes a problem, usually it's just fun to make constant speculation.

Nossnitro102

Smash Journeyman
"Is our position good"
I dunno, sort the speculation forum by views, pages or posts and tell me.
Okay okay jeez. No need to be sarcastic.
Think about the general people though too. Most still don't really pay attention to these things. Though we do have more than we did before.

I just think we aren't there yet. But I also don't think we're that much farther.
I really do hope we receive some more curveballs for the rest of this cycle.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
Okay okay jeez. No need to be sarcastic.
Think about the general people though too. Most still don't really pay attention to these things. Though we do have more than we did before.

I just think we aren't there yet. But I also don't think we're that much farther.
I really do hope we receive some more curveballs for the rest of this cycle.
Well, we're the biggest supporter group in the "hardcore" fanbase (or maybe Banjo, but I think it's us), so we've got that going for us. I still honestly think Isaac as a fighter pass character is far more likely than most people think, so maybe he'll be the big "curveball" we get, like Cloud last time. If not, we just have to remain loud and proud of who we want for Smash. Like it or not, Ridley and K Rool got in because their fanbases were loudest, not necessarily the biggest (even though they probably were). If we can follow in their footsteps, then Isaac will join sooner, rather than later.

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the nice wishes guys

They could also just reue his Smash art like Cloud and Pokémon Trainer do, but yeah a potential remake/Golden Sun 4 design does work too
Wouldn't be surprised if Isaac's fighter spirit is just his smash render, like cloud or robin. Really spirits are a non-issue.
I don't think you're understanding me, having the Smash render as the Fighter Spirit would imply it's the Isaac from GS1 which the primary spirit already is, which is a problem if the Spirits = Deconfirmation rule was really made by the developers.

The cases you mention with Smash renders do not have the same characters as equippable spirits, instead it's because of the lack of (Robins not having full body art, WFT) or not having access to the official artwork (Cloud, and PT for some reason) of the character.

Pennate

Smash Cadet
Hey, what would you guys think about organizing a community fanart collection to promote the Assist Alliance movement? Art projects excel at turning heads, and we need a lot of attention to give this group a chance at success. Maybe we could enlist some other fanbases and create some crossover pieces; it would be simple enough to draw a few AT's interacting with existing Smash fighters and/or other AT's, and it would allow us to spread support for Isaac to more circles than Golden Sun and Smash.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Hey, what would you guys think about organizing a community fanart collection to promote the Assist Alliance movement? Art projects excel at turning heads, and we need a lot of attention to give this group a chance at success. Maybe we could enlist some other fanbases and create some crossover pieces; it would be simple enough to draw a few AT's interacting with existing Smash fighters and/or other AT's, and it would allow us to spread support for Isaac to more circles than Golden Sun and Smash.
Bomberman is one of the few things I can draw.

D

Deleted member

I’m all for it. I think I’ll start a new comic series for that. Also assist alliance made this and I gotta say it’s what we’re gunning for right now.
relevant but replace the cat with waluigi/isaac/shadow/midna/bomberman/shovel knight/whatever

Tetiro

Smash Ace
I have been out of the loop for a while. What exactly is the #AssistAlliance doing, and what is their plan?
Basically it's the groups that support characters who have been deconfirmed by AT finally deciding to put differences aside and support one another.

Something I wished the Smash community did a while ago but finally is happening

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Basically it's the groups that support characters who have been deconfirmed by AT finally deciding to put differences aside and support one another.

I'll be honest, I don't really think the Assist Alliance is the way to go. On the surface it seems like it would be a natural extension of what we're already trying to do, promote Isaac's popularity. Why do it individually when we can all do it together? The problem becomes that we completely change the message we're sending with the Assist Alliance compared to just promoting Isaac.

When we're promoting Isaac the message we're sending is that Isaac is more popular than they realize despite his absence and they should reconsider him. The message the Assist Alliance is sending is basically, we want more DLC and it should come from an Assist Trophy because they are popular. The problem is that Nintendo knows they are popular characters or they wouldn't have put them in as ATs, so then the message becomes we want more DLC which I'm sure Nintendo is also aware of. So basically the whole movement is just to tell Nintendo things they already know.

I think that the general idea of the people who support AT characters supporting each other is great but honestly I don't think the Assist Alliance is the best thing for us to be focusing on right now. But maybe its just me.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
I think that the general idea of the people who support AT characters supporting each other is great but honestly I don't think the Assist Alliance is the best thing for us to be focusing on right now. But maybe its just me.
I would say more: it may be detrimental to us.

I'm sorry if it could feel selfish, but it is: I don't care for other AT characters.

I can understand that other people may like them, and maybe I'm biased myself even when I try to stay objective when saying that, but compared to the majority of other AT, Isaac, IMO, stands aside by having two strong advantages : an unrepresented serie and a lot of possibilities for an innovative moveset... (that's the case for others, I know)

People like to say there's no such thing as "slots" in Smash roster, but it's wrong. We are in competition with other AT in that regard. Joining our effort will blend us into the mass, it will dilute Isaac in the big group of AT characters.

Now that that Assist Alliance exists, it's too late: we now must stay one of the most visible within it. But I would say we shouldn't overdo it, and focus on our own agenda.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868

I'm sorry if it could feel selfish, but it is: I don't care for other AT characters.

I can understand that other people may like them, and maybe I'm biased myself even when I try to stay objective when saying that, but compared to the majority of other AT, Isaac, IMO, stands aside by having two strong advantages : an unrepresented serie and a lot of possibilities for an innovative moveset... (that's the case for others, I know)

People like to say there's no such thing as "slots" in Smash roster, but it's wrong. We are in competition with other AT in that regard. Joining our effort will blend us into the mass, it will dilute Isaac in the big group of AT characters.

Now that that Assist Alliance exists, it's too late: we now must stay one of the most visible within it. But I would say we shouldn't overdo it, and focus on our own agenda.
There are four Assist Trophy characters I seriously care about — Bomberman, Krystal, Isaac, and Shadow. The rest would probably get a “oh, neat, congratulations to their fans” from me.

Kalaam

Smash Ace
I was bored last night so I thought extensively about an isaac/felix moveset.
Also thought of the costumes, so let's start with that.
Best case scenario, Isaac's 4 first costumes are just colors for him and his team, then we have Matthew and his as an alt. (like Cloud's alt, Ike's alt, Mario's alt, Bowser Junior's alt, Bayo's alt etc etc)
For Felix, same deal expect his alt is just him with his mask on and taking colors of the first bad guys (so him, Saturos, Menardi and Alex).
Ok that's it for costumes.
Now Isaac's moveset. It all depends on one thing, does he has his sword out or does he keep it sheated like Shulk ? Would mostly be visual flavor i think.
Since we never saw isaac with his sword out on an official artwork, I'll use what we saw him use canonicly in game: longswords. That's what he has in DD and his signature weapon is a longsword. Probably won't be as big as buster sword etc, but we can assume it would be equivalent to the master sword, but used with both hands.

Jab: Downward slash, followed by an upward one placing him in his cast stance, third part is quake or vine, working similar to Robin's wind, but slowly pushing the opponent away rather than upward. In an angle i'd say.

S-Tilt: His sword strike from DD, a wide downward strike in front of him.
D-Tilt: Ground, buried opponent around Isaac. If his sword stays sheated most of the time, could make him take his pose from the boxart
U-Tilt: Upward slash.

S-Smash: Ragnarok. Same concept as Bayonetta's Smashes. Transmutation circle behind his shoulder as his strikes.
D-Smash: Quake. Stone pillars launching straight up.
U-Smash: Spire Growing around him before bursting at the tip of his sword. Would have the same functionning as Roy's U-Smash.

Dash Attack: His classic attack animation, jumping forward while striking.

N-Air: (if sword sheathed) Pommel strike forward and kick backward. (if sword in hand) a spin on himself holding it with two hands (the critical spin attack from DD)
U-Air: Scoop, can juggle
F-Air: Forward stab with multiple hits (centurio critical hit from DD)
B-Air: Slap
D-Air: Meteor Strike (angled forward)

Grab: Catch Can tather recovery
Pummel: exactly what Master hand does when grabbing you, they like using it for isaac hands so why not continue?
Up Throw: Lift
Back Throw: Pull (from DD)
Forward Throw: Force
Down Throw: Pound

Special: I guess Move. Shields from projectiles and doesn't do any damages, but stays on field long enough for Isaac to iniatiate movement after casting it.
U-Special: Retreat, works like most teleportation moves (zelda, mewtwo)
Side Special: Bamboo spear. Long range stab. Sweetspot at the tip. Kinda similar to Corrin's side B, maybe without the grab effect, though it could work.
Down Special: Reveal/Mind Read. Read through the opponent's mind to counter their attack ! (kidding kidding) Gaia (chargeable) Explosion around isaac, doesn't do much damage by itself but lifts the targets upward with several hits.

FS: Judgement. Area in front of isaac catches opponents, starts cutscenes and the big explosion takes place in that area and expands a bit.

That's it for Isaac ! Next up is Felix, as an echo i won't have to cover as much stuff.
Main difference would be that his sword has smaller reach and he uses it with one hand, but strikes harder on most attacks, sometimes because of multi hit. But since he has less reach and would have more recovery on his attacks he is easier to punish.

Jab: Similar to link's exept the third his is using thorns for a similar effect to isaac's jab.

S-Tilt: Upward slash in from of him.
D-Tilt: Petra, in front of him only, paralyses for a few frames.

S-Smash: Odyssey. Two smaller swords hit succesively, holding the target in place before Felix charges through them for the final hit, makes him travel some distance so if dodged could be very easy to punish.
U-Smash: Thorns, same as Isaac it's just visual flare.

Grab: Same, but cannot tether.

Special: Move is the same.
Up Special: Sand. Similar to lucario's recovery, but makes him immune to physical attacks and allow to pass through opponents. If he lands on the ground he recovers immediatly. If he's in the air he is vulnerable while reforming himself (you can still hover slightly for the few frames it takes).
Side Special: Like Isaac's but with thorns instead, smaller reach but multi hit (kinda like a drill) and higher damage, without sweet spot.

FS: Catastrophe. Jenna appears further and summon's a transmutation circle with Felix, functions like Judgment. But does electric damages rather than energy.

Pfew, i think that's it for now. Thanks for ready folks.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
yeah the assists in general are all over the spectrum for me

some, like Isaac and Lyn, are among my top requests for Smash

some, like Waluigi, Skull Kid, and Takamaru I would like a lot and think have good merits, but they aren't quite as high as my top requests

some, like Krystal, I'd be fine with but I'm not really pushing for them

some, like Chain Chomp or Thwomp, I really don't want

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
So I've done this in a few other threads so I thought I'd do it here too, what do you guys think about a Golden Sun Warriors?

Okay so I think one of the first things we would have to figure out would be what the "gimmick" of our Warriors game is, something that comes from the source game that defines the series. Zelda had items that you could use to "solve" puzzles and hit boss weaknesses and Fire Emblem had the weapon triangle and support conversations. The djinn could possibly work here but I'm not really sure how it would work, I don't think they would function like items and they couldn't change the character's class unless it didn't effect their moveset at all, which would be weird. I suppose another option would be psynergy to function similar to items in Hyrule Warriors.

As for characters you're usually looking at about 20ish unique fighting styles in the base game, Fire Emblem had more characters but some shared fighting styles and Zelda had fewer characters with some having multiple fighting styles. Personally I'd prefer if they didn't share or double dip, giving us the same number of characters as fighting styles. I'll have to think on a list for them and what weapons they'd use and post it later.

Kalaam

Smash Ace
I brought the golden sun warriors idea before, everything is kinda easy to find.
For the mechanic you can keep puzzle solving, but using psynergy instead of items. Maybe reactivating alchemic machines on the map etc.
Djinns would be like the fairies in Hyrule Warriors, giving you boosts and with active abilities (tho' you'd have several djinns with 1 ability rather than 1 fairy with several abilities). Wether or not they would change your character class would be to define. Because that would create a looooot of work to make tons of different movesets.

For characters we can safely go: Isaac, Garet, Ivan, Mia, Felix, Jenna, Sheba, Piers, Saturos, Menardi, Alex, Agatio, Karst. If we stay on the first games. Gives us 13 characters. We could push to include DD characters like Matthew, Sveta, Amiti, Blados and Chalis.

As for weapon I'd say they are half of the moveset. Each character has access to different type of weapons and share some of the moves between each other, but the heavy attacks would be psynergies. (so some would combo better out of certain weapons for example?). Then, wether or not djinns change your class and psynergies it up for debate. It would require lots of work.

The lighthouses makes for perfect points of interrests/bases to attack/defend. Giving boosts to whoever control them etc.

The concept writes itself really.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Not a fan of Warrioirs-esque games and Golden Sun doesn't change that. Not even Zelda did and that's my favorite franchise of all time.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
I'd be so down for a Golden Sun Warriors. I loved both Hyrule and FE Warriors, and I think a GS Warriors could do wonders for the series. Not likely, but a pipe dream nonetheless.

Arsenal234

Smash Apprentice

I should have been more specific. I know it is a group of people who support assist trophy characters, but are they signing a petition or writing letters to Nintendo or something? What is their plan for getting these characters into the game?

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
I should have been more specific. I know it is a group of people who support assist trophy characters, but are they signing a petition or writing letters to Nintendo or something? What is their plan for getting these characters into the game?
ATM it’s just a means to build bridges between fandoms and keep supporting these characters being in Smash in the future.

AFAIK there are no big plans to push for these characters to be implemented into Ultimate. Mainly because (especially since Sakurai said to not bother him or the team with that kind of thing) it would come off as whiny.

IMO I say it’s a nice way to keep these characters in the spotlight for the years to come and to keep fanbases from yelling at each other. We’re all in the same boat, might as well make friends. But I don’t think it should be used to aggressively push for these characters to be retroactively made into fighters in Ultimate. The moment that happens, I might back out.

I want Isaac in Smash. But it is what it is. Maybe in Smash 6.

This does help us a bit. Because of the Alliance, it’s made people who didnt know much about Isaac or Golden Sun, understand and respect us a bit more. Some have even gone as far as planning to play the games now after talking to Isaac supporters. That’s always a big W for Golden Sun.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Just passing. I'm not really a supporter: I started playing the first Golden Sun on GBA six years ago, and I could never finish it, for real life reasons. But I wanted to say that reading you guys, so passionate despite there being so little hope, convinced me to go back to it. I'm in no condition to play video games now, but Golden Sun first on the name is on my 'to play' list, along with only a few ones.

Last edited:

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
I'd love a Golden Sun Warriors. It'd be fun if Golden Sun can experiment with different gameplay styles outside of the main series
ATM it’s just a means to build bridges between fandoms and keep supporting these characters being in Smash in the future.

AFAIK there are no big plans to push for these characters to be implemented into Ultimate. Mainly because (especially since Sakurai said to not bother him or the team with that kind of thing) it would come off as whiny.

IMO I say it’s a nice way to keep these characters in the spotlight for the years to come and to keep fanbases from yelling at each other. We’re all in the same boat, might as well make friends. But I don’t think it should be used to aggressively push for these characters to be retroactively made into fighters in Ultimate. The moment that happens, I might back out.

I want Isaac in Smash. But it is what it is. Maybe in Smash 6.

This does help us a bit. Because of the Alliance, it’s made people who didnt know much about Isaac or Golden Sun, understand and respect us a bit more. Some have even gone as far as planning to play the games now after talking to Isaac supporters. That’s always a big W for Golden Sun.
Exactly this. Assist Alliance isn't our main focus but it's something nice we contribute to which can even expand our fandom and keep relations with other fanbases strong

Last edited:

Tetiro

Smash Ace
The key to getting Isaac and Golden Sun where they should be is positive movements. Regardless of whether or not they directly show it will help.

For example, my Isaac cosplay at MCM will no doubt be noticed by Nintendo and Golden Sun fans. It will make awareness. And it might even make more people do GS Cosplays. In turn improving our cause.

The Assist Alliance is a positive thing as it makes Isaac more aware and shows more positivity in support to our champion and other fandom's champions too. We might even get more numbers.

If we keep going down positive paths like the Letters to Nintendo, Cosplays, Assist Alliance, Golden Sundays etc etc. We will succeed. So as long as it feels productive and positive, we should do it.

We keep on going lads! January has been a great month so far! I see Isaac stuff every day. Keep it up!

(Also update on the cosplay. I found the right needles and faux suede to do Isaac's gloves, boots and straps. It's a rough leather akin to the gloves. Oh and I bought the wig head and clamp needed to start work on the wig!)

Top Bottom