• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Some people are speculating that, despise Isaac beeing on the grinch leak, and the banner, he is an assist?
That's a joke. Why would they put an assist in the banner with ONLY PLAYABLE CHARACTERS?

Yeah, there is Mr.Saturn , but he's more of a mascot character, and is here to showcase what's special with Olimar and the pikmins.

Anyway, the direct is soon. I'm hoping that Isaac is in, because he deserve it.:drohyou:

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
I can almost see everyone in chat rooms chanting "Isaac! Isaac! Isaac!" Right before and right when the Direct starts. Thursday is going to be insane!

Famikom

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 0121 6087 2055
I do wonder. I certainly hope there's at least Dixie Kong in...

Perhaps there'll be Skull Kid as well? Bandanna Dee? I'm sure there's more I'm missing...

I lowkey hope we get Lip as a big surprise...
Rayman, Lloyd, Bandana Dee, Shantae...
you two. i trust you. you bear good taste and wisdom in spades.

I mean when I said most I meant just that-- many of the characters with huge support bases are supposedly in. but the addition of the leaked characters + possibly some of the glaring omissions mentioned above.... Sakurai must be giving us a "too good to be true x2" roster

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
unno. what could be better than our boy, geno, and flipping banjo?
I mean I can think of characters that would make the roster "better" for me. (and for others)

Don't get me wrong, I'm over the moon at potentially getting Isaac AND Banjo & Kazooie....but I don't think it's really true that the roster couldn't be "better". I mean think about some characters that people love (think about ones that were popular in the reddit poll) that aren't confirmed or in the grinch leak....would the game be worse off if they were included?

For example the base roster would be "better" if it also had Dixie Kong and Bandana Dee, two large remaining fanbases in the Smash community. I don't even particularly care for those characters but I'd still say the base roster would be better for having them.

To be fair this is going off the idea that Mystic's "better" roster still has the Grinch leak characters or at least the Isaac, Banjo & Kazooie, Geno trio. (I'd find it hard to imagine that anyone would say something like the real roster is better if it didn't at least include those three)

Last edited:

AlliwantisIsaac

Smash Cadet
This is it!! The one to end all leaks! If the grinch leaks prooves to be fake i will applaud the person/people behind it (and be a little disappointed...) and if it prooves real, i will never trust anyone with "insider" knowledge unless they have solid evidence to back up their words.

That said, i wish us all luck on the upcoming direct. May the sun shine once again!

DCavalier

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cavalierredeyes
Switch FC
SW 5638 2481 3507
Some people are speculating that, despise Isaac beeing on the grinch leak, and the banner, he is an assist?
That's a joke. Why would they put an assist in the banner with ONLY PLAYABLE CHARACTERS?

Yeah, there is Mr.Saturn , but he's more of a mascot character, and is here to showcase what's special with Olimar and the pikmins.

Anyway, the direct is soon. I'm hoping that Isaac is in, because he deserve it.:drohyou:
I know that it has been mentioned before but what if Saturn is placeholder for other character with the same proportions.
After Grinch characters the next in line for me is Bandana Dee, him replacing Saturn would awesome and would kill the "There could be items or ATs in the banner".

Since E3 I thought the banner was supposed to showcase all the playable characters that are in the game, so the idea that NPCs could also be in it kind of defeats the banner purpose, atleast for me.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
image.png
What a freaking coincidence!!!

I had this thought about how Ken and Shadow are perfect for this roster. If you're having Echo fighters, you have to have the first original echo (Ken). And you can't have the "Ultimate" game without the ultimate life form (Shadow). It's poetic, I think.

ZelDan

Smash Master
"The actual roster will be a lot better than the leak we got."

What is this implying?
That caught my attention too. What would be better than the Grinch Leak?

For me, what would make it even better is if we got Elma and Dixie Kong instead of Chorus Kids and Mach Rider. If that happened they'd probably have to send an ambulance to my home since I'd be suffering from hype overdose.

Famikom

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 0121 6087 2055
Ken, Incineroar, Pink Gold Incineroar.
*November 1st, 2018, [10:00am EST]. Sakurai appears superimposed on an ominous black background*

"Hello everyone. Welcome to the final video presentation for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. There's around a month until the game's release, and I have been informed that the final roster has accidentally been revealed much earlier than intended. For this reason, all 70+ fighters have been replaced with Incineroar and various Incineroar Echo fighters you'll surely enjoy. That is all the news I have for you today, so for the next 39 minutes please enjoy this video of me laughing."

*direct ends with a final message from Sakurai*

"Oh, and before I forget-- never ask me for anything ever again."

TheSpaceKing12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
Reset eras current final roster
-Isaac
-Geno
-Ken
-Incinroar
-Skull Kid / Elma, either or.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
you two. i trust you. you bear good taste and wisdom in spades.
Heheh, thanks? It's nice to find other JPN-Only Character lovers~! Who's your other faves aside from Lip and Takamaru?

I used to run the support thread for Lip and Lloyd Irving back in Sm4sh-days due being huge fans of both, and also supported Takamaru as much back, right when Ultimate got shown back in March. Sadly he's still Assist on the way, and I had been feeling less confident on Lip over time too, hence less activity on her thread.

You should go check the current Lip-thread out too, BTW. N N. Onymous is running the new one quite adamantly. Good taste on him as well.

For me, what would make it even better is if we got Elma and Dixie Kong instead of Chorus Kids and Mach Rider. If that happened they'd probably have to send an ambulance to my home since I'd be suffering from hype overdose.
I'd be okay keeping Chorus Kids on my end - but again, IDK if I want anyone swapped out or cut, a lot others would dig these characters meanwhile. I just hope we get as many choices to roll with as we can...

Last edited:

Gurein

Smash Apprentice
Alright everyone. If Isaac is revealed what would be the one detail to make you shed a tear? If "The Golden Sun rises" track plays I'd personally lose it.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
It's gonna be 10:00 for me... I'm at work... I guess I'll have to watch it during my lunch break... which starts at 11:35...

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Alright everyone. If Isaac is revealed what would be the one detail to make you shed a tear? If "The Golden Sun rises" track plays I'd personally lose it.
His look, honestly. I want him to look better than my render no matter what, and better than the smashified ones obviously

SundaeS

Smash Cadet
The time is finally here and I feel like all that waiting has left me unprepared. GO ISAAC!!! it's so early in the morning for me too.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I haven't played the games for a long while (since just replaying first), but... I really hope we also see Isaac's other party members somewhere, maybe assisting Isaac on his Final Smash in glorious HD.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Probably if I hear the sound that plays when Isaac casts psynergy in the overworld.

That and obviously the trailer music.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I was actually thinking I'd listen to that song if Isaac gets revealed. Even before Smash Ultimate speculation was a thing that song always gets me in the feels considering how amazing a journey the first 2 GS games are and that song really fits the mood at the end.

Last edited:

spaceperson741

Smash Cadet
You know, I don't think any of these leaks have ruined anything even if true. The fans are so divisive on whether or not a given leak is true, they really haven't had much of an effect.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
I just realized, the direct doesn't even need to talk about most of the characters if the grinch is real, because they're having a livestream immediatly after where they can talk about them.

possibly spread this info around because it makes a lot of sense when you think about it, when has a smash direct ever had a treehouse stream after besides e3?

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Something I was thinking about in regards to the insiders and the supposed assist trophies that are part of the grinch leak.

What's stopping this from being another gematsu type situation? That is to say Chrom and Chorus Kids were planned to be playable at one point early in development for Smash 4 but later on they were scrapped.

So what's stopping these characters being planned as assist trophies early on but then have them promoted to playable during development?

I feel like the only reason any of the insiders have for being so sure of themselves is if they've personally seen gameplay footage.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I just realised, the direct doesn't even need to talk about most of the characters if the grinch is real, because they're having a livestream immediatly after where they can talk about them
Noted before indeed... maybe the thing about Mystic saying the "roster" we're getting better than Grinch Leak, might pertain to that?

Famikom

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 0121 6087 2055
Heheh, thanks? It's nice to find other JPN-Only Character lovers~! Who's your other faves aside from Lip and Takamaru?

I used to run the support thread for Lip and Lloyd Irving back in Sm4sh-days due being huge fans of both, and also supported Takamaru as much back, right when Ultimate got shown back in March. Sadly he's still Assist on the way, and I had been feeling less confident on Lip over time too, hence less activity on her thread.

You should go check the current Lip-thread out too, BTW. N N. Onymous is running the new one quite adamantly. Good taste on him as well.

the Japan-only folks seriously deserve lots of love! aside from Takamaru and Lip, I've always been interested in the idea of Ayumi Tachibana being in Smash, and Sukapon has also been on my radar for quite a long time :p

it was so sad to see Takamaru get snowglobed again-- and pretty much immediately at that... I haven't totally given up on Lip but i'm definitely less confident in her than I was back in say August. she'd be the perfect puzzle-game rep, and there are already several references to Panel de Pon in Smash so why not promote her to playable, dammit? (*`益´*)૭

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Something I was thinking about in regards to the insiders and the supposed assist trophies that are part of the grinch leak.

What's stopping this from being another gematsu type situation? That is to say Chrom and Chorus Kids were planned to be playable at one point early in development for Smash 4 but later on they were scrapped.

So what's stopping these characters being planned as assist trophies early on but then have them promoted to playable during development?

I feel like the only reason any of the insiders have for being so sure of themselves is if they've personally seen gameplay footage.
IDK entirely man. As far as I know, Assist Trophies getting promoted only happens between games - and it's bit unrealistic to see Sakurai wanting to work on unique characters out of what would have been Assists before, especially if it'd make the development cycle and resources much harder to monitor around.

On that end, I find it whack to think that insiders would mistake Assist as playable characters, since... welll

There's character mugshots for a reason. They could just look at those at the bottom screen to see who are being played as or not - especially over trying to eye in characters as they'd get smaller and harder to make out the more bigger stages get. :drshrug:

Last edited:

Coofle DeDoofle

Smash Apprentice
Reset eras current final roster
-Isaac
-Geno
-Ken
-Incinroar
-Skull Kid / Elma, either or.
I'd be cool with that, if true. Personally, I'd go with Elma being playable because Skull Kid could easily be a boss.

If that's the case, here's how I can see the Direct playing out...
  • Isaac reveal trailer
  • Further explanation on Isaac and other Golden Sun content
  • Ken (and maybe Shadow if we're lucky) is introduced as the last Echo Fighter in the base game
  • Details on trophies, challenges, and other collectibles.
  • Incineroar reveal trailer
  • List of remaining Pokemon, items, and Assist Trophies
  • Info on all returning game modes, including what we'll get in the Stadium
  • Elma reveal trailer
  • Sakurai further explains Elma's moveset and her mechanic of weapon swapping
  • THE BIG REVEAL OF THE SO-CALLED SPIRITS MODE (Skull Kid possibly a boss)
  • Geno reveal trailer to top it all off

However, if the Grinch leak is real, HERE'S how I can see the Direct playing out...
  • Double reveal of Isaac and Geno (I say this because they're both RPG characters)
  • Further explanation on Isaac and other Golden Sun content
  • Ken and Shadow is introduced as the last Echo Fighter in the base game
  • Details on trophies, challenges, and other collectibles.
  • Mach Rider reveal trailer
  • List of remaining items, Pokemon, and Assist Trophies
  • Info on all returning game modes, including what we'll get in the Stadium
  • Chorus Kids reveal trailer
  • THE BIG REVEAL OF THE SO-CALLED SPIRITS MODE (Skull Kid still possibly a boss)
  • Banjo-Kazooie reveal trailer to top it all off
Seems like a lot for both scenarios, but let's not forget that this Direct is a whopping 40 minutes.

Last edited:

ProperlyBasic

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone, I've been lurking for many years and have been campaigning to have Isaac in smash since before Brawl. Put me as a supporter. True Blue Warrior True Blue Warrior

Made an account to let you know that it's been one heck of a ride this time around and I have benefitted greatly from reading your posts and analyses. It's been comforting to see other people just as enthusiastic about Golden Sun and Isaac as I am.

Based on the combined probabilities of everything in the leak, I heavily lean toward team real. But regardless of the outcome, it's been an honor to hope, dream, mourn, vote, and stand with you (even from the shadows) for the past decade.

AlliwantisIsaac

Smash Cadet
If he has grip psynergy as his grab, i'm gonna lose it! That and judgement as final smash.
Edit: Odyssey would be nice too.

Last edited:

Delta64

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm.....
ESRB Leak started appearing August 19, 2014 - Shulk reveal August 29, 2014. 10 days apart

Grinch/Banner Leak appeared October 24, 2018 - Smash direct November 1, 2018. 8 days apart

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
Assuming the Grinch leak is fake for a moment and what the insiders say about assist trophies is true....

https://twitter.com/MysticDistance/status/1057348382505779200?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1057348382505779200&ref_url=https://s9e.github.io/iframe/twitter.min.html#1057348382505779200

I wonder if we might be sleeping on Shadow returning as an assist trophy. Mystic never mentioned him when talking about characters he was sure about being in.
it would be one big tease, just as bad if Isaac was revealed as an assist, why wait for so long to show off an assist people wanted playable like that?

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
it would be one big tease, just as bad if Isaac was revealed as an assist, why wait for so long to show off an assist people wanted playable like that?
I'm just wondering who would make sense as assist trophies (there's supposedly at least two of them).

Mystic said he's confident in Ken, Incineroar, Isaac and Geno.

Obviously Banjo & Kazooie aren't assist trophies.

That leaves Shadow, Mach Rider and Chorus Kids as the remaining candidates.

(assuming Mystics sources are correct)

Top Bottom