• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
It's interesting. On the one hand I do find it hard to imagine even more sword wielders being in the final three slots. But seeing Sephiroth changed my perception cause I had written him off as not even being in consideration with Hero's addition and thinking Cloud will be the sole FF7 rep. It made me think, wow it really is more about the character itself. Imagine Sephiroth's name coming up and it was like, 'No can do. We already added a Square character in the first pass. Plus a rep from FF7 again? And he's a sword wielder? Yeah, next!'

It goes back to characters getting in on their own merits. Lloyd won't not be added cause he's another sword wielder or it being a choice between Isaac and Waluigi because there can only be one assist promotion. I won't even be quick to say there won't be another Square Enix character in the final three slots just cause of Sephiroth. It doesn't seem like these things matter too much in the grand scheme of things which makes it way more exciting waiting for these final characters.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
If memory serves, this is what Sakurai said when announcing the Fighter Pass 2.
But... the second fighters pass wasn't announced with Banjo... it was announced with Terry

I've been the one repeating it over and over again. Sakurai said this about pass 2 during the banjo presentation. More dlc characters in development was a thing already announced, which is what he is exactly talking about in that part, which obviously refers to pass 2.

Minute 24:22 when he says it (he starts the topic about 23:50 or so)

And yes, by that time pass 2 was already decided.
I guess I stand correct. I swore we found out about the second pass during Terry.

Regardless.... it seems a stretch to say it meas anything. He says we are getting more characters- and of course every character is a delight to some fans.

He also described 'more game universes.' Which is true. Yet... we've had two repeats.

Last edited:

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
But... the second fighters pass wasn't announced with Banjo... it was announced with Terry

I guess I stand correct. I swore we found out about the second pass during Terry.

Regardless.... it seems a stretch to say it meas anything. He says we are getting more characters- and of course every character is a delight to some fans.

He also described 'more game universes.' Which is true. Yet... we've had two repeats.
We did find out about the second pass with Terry. The Banjo presentation came right after the Direct that announced Banjo's release date and the Terry reveal + pass 2 reveal.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
That's exactly why Isaac, IMO, is still well in the race. Except us, a lot of people don't see him coming. He is a dark horse, but would perfectly fit.
Isaac’s reveal will be a grand one because no one else, except us who have been paying attention to the strange coincidences/happening around Isaac & GS, will expect it.

Every time I try to see other characters chances/theories/etc., they just fall apart. Isaac’s, however, just keeps getting stacked more and more over time with no signs of collapsing. It’s the weirdest thing. Yes, that may be my bias talking, but you can’t deny that these things weirdly go in favor for Isaac. In the end, either he is in, or this was all a sick joke from the universe. But fortunately, one thing is for sure happening that we can rejoice about soon and it’s that Golden Sun IS returning! ☀

Last edited:

Monue

Smash Apprentice
It's interesting. On the one hand I do find it hard to imagine even more sword wielders being in the final three slots. But seeing Sephiroth changed my perception cause I had written him off as not even being in consideration with Hero's addition and thinking Cloud will be the sole FF7 rep. It made me think, wow it really is more about the character itself. Imagine Sephiroth's name coming up and it was like, 'No can do. We already added a Square character in the first pass. Plus a rep from FF7 again? And he's a sword wielder? Yeah, next!'

It goes back to characters getting in on their own merits. Lloyd won't not be added cause he's another sword wielder or it being a choice between Isaac and Waluigi because there can only be one assist promotion. I won't even be quick to say there won't be another Square Enix character in the final three slots just cause of Sephiroth. It doesn't seem like these things matter too much in the grand scheme of things which makes it way more exciting waiting for these final characters.
That's been my take for awhile now as well. Everyone clings to these rules, and everyone bases their speculation around assumptions and things the developers have never expressly stated. This pass has been three nearly complete surprises, minus a few points for Steve who saw a lot of traction in the last year or two.

Like I've said before, Nintendo is going to do whatever they want to do. They're not filling slots. They're not trying to rep every other big company or franchise. They're not following any rules. This pass doesn't have a theme. There are no guarantees. Can it make money/is it monetarily worth doing, and is it possible to do are likely all they're concerned with. I would argue even fan demand is ancillary to those two points, and not the main focus at all.

Even then, I'd say Min-Min was pushing things. I can't imagine she saw huge monetary turnout for individual purchases the way Banjo, Hero, and Sephiroth almost certainly did/will - she wasn't pushing Fighter's Pass 2 like Joker did for the first one. I mean she's great don't get me wrong, but come on. Which is fine, a small time Nintendo character getting a slot is fabulous! They made some money I'm sure, she's fun, they were able to do it. Greenlight, love it.

Nintendo is just going to do what they want. I don't know if the fan base is capable of accurately predicting their actions, for better or worse. Just throw a dart at wall and see who it lands on, man. I'm 50/50 on Isaac, frankly - I mean I can justify his inclusion myself, especially if he's getting remakes, but I can justify a lot of characters on similar premises. These last three could be anyone, really!

Last edited:

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
everyone bases their speculation around assumptions and things the developers have never expressly stated.
And that's why all I pay attention to is **** Sakurai himself says about development and planning and stuff within base game. It's served me pretty well; I guessed based on the amiibo tweet screw up that FP8 was about to be revealed before 2021, just based on the timing for a presentation being made, and to find I was actually right when so many others predict **** vainly was so invigorating.

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
I really do not believe the Monster Hunter would be dlc. Of course, anything can happen, but since the goal is to represent the game he is from, you cannot do it better than with the Rathalos bossfight. Monster Hunter games' main focus are the monsters, and Rathalos displays almost all the mechanics you can use against them. Stunning by hitting the head, staggering by dealing enough damage, flashbanging him to make it stop flying, using a pitfall to make it vulnerable, cutting its tail... This is how you play Monster Hunter. You cannot have Monster Hunter mechanics without a Monster to hunt.
This is like saying Pokémon shouldn’t be playable because the goal is to represent the game they are from, and you can not do it better than the Pokeball item mechanic where you call out a Pokémon to battle for you.

See what I’m saying? That argument is kinda ridiculous.

Also, we can’t have it both ways. What I mean is, we all want Isaac playable and we try our hardest to believe we see possible hints. Right now many are clinging to the idea of FP2 filling in content they didn’t have enough time to put in the base game such as: Arms content, Steve being on the waiting list for 5 years and now FF7 getting more content. So we look at Golden Sun not getting any new songs...so maybe GS will finally get the added content it deserves. And of course I’m right there hoping the same thing, BUT look at Monster Hunter’s addition into Smash.

Monster Hunter has Rathalos as a boss along with it’s theme song. Which is good but there is a glaring issue...where are the Monster Hunter spirits??? Guess what spirits it has...just Rathalos’s boss spirit. You know what that reminds me of? FF7 only having Cloud’s fighter spirits and now that is most likely being fixed with Sephiroth’s inclusion.

Monster Hunter has 2 exclusive games coming to Switch and Monster Hunter World (2018) is Capcom’s best selling game of all time! And the only reason the number 2 game is even close is due to the constant rereleases of Street Fighter 2. What I’m saying is, if you think Nintendo reached out to Capcom for dlc and they didn’t have a playable Monster Hunter at the top of the list or at least in serious contention for the spot...then you’re being silly!

The only thing that kills the idea of Monster Hunter is if we get a spirit event when MH Rise releases. I say this because if memory serves me right, the last time they skipped a spirit event for an exclusive Switch game (Fire Emblem: Three Houses), we ended up getting Byleth. If Rise gets a spirit event...then most likely no MH, but if it doesn’t...then we all know who’s gonna be one of the remaining 3 dlc.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah it's not Rathalos or a Hunter. Rathalos is already in the game, it's Rathalos and a hunter or Rathalos by itself. And the more content a series has, the better represented it is, so long as they do it faithfully. Which I'm going to give Sakurai the benefit of the doubt on nearly 90 characters in...

I don't particularly care about MH, but it does seem one of the more plausible additions.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
This is like saying Pokémon shouldn’t be playable because the goal is to represent the game they are from, and you can not do it better than the Pokeball item mechanic where you call out a Pokémon to battle for you.

See what I’m saying? That argument is kinda ridiculous.

Also, we can’t have it both ways. What I mean is, we all want Isaac playable and we try our hardest to believe we see possible hints. Right now many are clinging to the idea of FP2 filling in content they didn’t have enough time to put in the base game such as: Arms content, Steve being on the waiting list for 5 years and now FF7 getting more content. So we look at Golden Sun not getting any new songs...so maybe GS will finally get the added content it deserves. And of course I’m right there hoping the same thing, BUT look at Monster Hunter’s addition into Smash.

Monster Hunter has Rathalos as a boss along with it’s theme song. Which is good but there is a glaring issue...where are the Monster Hunter spirits??? Guess what spirits it has...just Rathalos’s boss spirit. You know what that reminds me of? FF7 only having Cloud’s fighter spirits and now that is most likely being fixed with Sephiroth’s inclusion.

Monster Hunter has 2 exclusive games coming to Switch and Monster Hunter World (2018) is Capcom’s best selling game of all time! And the only reason the number 2 game is even close is due to the constant rereleases of Street Fighter 2. What I’m saying is, if you think Nintendo reached out to Capcom for dlc and they didn’t have a playable Monster Hunter at the top of the list or at least in serious contention for the spot...then you’re being silly!

The only thing that kills the idea of Monster Hunter is if we get a spirit event when MH Rise releases. I say this because if memory serves me right, the last time they skipped a spirit event for an exclusive Switch game (Fire Emblem: Three Houses), we ended up getting Byleth. If Rise gets a spirit event...then most likely no MH, but if it doesn’t...then we all know who’s gonna be one of the remaining 3 dlc.
Well, Luigi's Mansion 3 didn't have any Spirit event, which leads some to believe that King Boo could become playable.

Last edited:

Kalaam

Smash Ace
Pokemon Trainer represents the serie better than any pokemon character.
And he doesn't fight by himself.

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
Well, Luigi's Mansion 3 didn't have any Spirit event, which leads some to believe that King Boo could become playable.
LM3 never got a spirit event??? That’s really weird, and could mean something.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Not really. Smash promoted LM3 by showing off the name, appearance, and abilities of the Poltergust first.

amageish

Smash Master
Spirit events with new spirits are honestly less common then the community may make you think... We had a bunch of them in Jan-March this year, but now haven't had one since August. It's also fairly random what exclusives do/don't get them - Daemon X Machina got one and that's a third-party game since ported to PC, but things like Luigi's Mansion 3, Yoshi's Crafted World, and most collab-y games (ex/ Cadence of Hyrule, Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon DX, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore, etc.) were skipped over.

So, like, not having a spirit event is a good sign I guess, but it's not an uncommon good sign.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Sephiroth knew Isaac would thwart his plans, so he secretly sent him to the realm of angels so he can’t bring in the Golden Sun. (Only played Bayonetta once so forgive me if that’s wrong)

It feels great to be hyped for a character again! Sephiroth won’t be able to reach the intense hype that Isaac will bring for me, but I’ll take this for now. I can’t wait for Thursday!!!

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
The biggest question mark I still have is the matter of a third pass. Before Sephiroth I was 100% confident that this would be it for DLC. Now I'm increasingly not sure. If Sephiroth makes anywhere close to the amount of money that I suspect he will I could easily see a third pass happen. While personally I'm unsure of our chances in this pass, if there is a third (and most likely, final) pass I like our odds of making that.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The biggest question mark I still have is the matter of a third pass. Before Sephiroth I was 100% confident that this would be it for DLC. Now I'm increasingly not sure. If Sephiroth makes anywhere close to the amount of money that I suspect he will I could easily see a third pass happen. While personally I'm unsure of our chances in this pass, if there is a third (and most likely, final) pass I like our odds of making that.
Well, Nintendo's decision to "stop active development" or whatever it was that Sakurai said came with the knowledge of the entirety of pass 2, including Steve and Sephiroth and whoever is to follow. They may not have had the sales data of the characters, but they've had all past sales data and knowledge that they were big additions, and could do some educated extrapolations.

A third fighter pass isn't completely off the table, but I'd say the odds are still very much against it.

Monue

Smash Apprentice
Geno's out! One less contender!
I dunno, like others I feel bad for the Geno fans, and frankly Geno being de-confirmed with a Mii costume doesn't bode well for Isaac, who does have both a Mii Costume and an Assist to contend with.

Now, I don't believe in fan rules, and I've clearly supported the idea that neither of these things de-confirm Isaac for the second pass; I still firmly believe that Nintendo will do what Nintendo wants to do - howeverrrrr, I also can absolutely see Nintendo just choosing to pass Isaac over since we've already got some representation. They may very well have not even given him a second thought, and it doesn't help that Geno, who has a huge, vocal, and rabid fan base in the Smash community, got passed over. Bigger, louder, and more ravenous than even we Isaac fans.

Honestly this hurts Isaac's chances in my opinion. I totally hope I'm wrong, I guess we'll see!

zferolie

Smash Hero
I feel awful for the Geno fans - I thought they'd at least get a Premium costume, but it was literally the same one from 4. I haven't been to the Geno thread yet, but I'll offer my condolences when I can.
Its upgraded Texture wise and seems to have more realistic cloth stuff, but yeah, its just an uprezed/updated Smash 4 costume. At this rate I feel nintendo and square don't give a damn about Geno or Mario RPG, and I feel bad for those fans.

Honestly I don't think any Mii costumes from Smash 4 or this game are gonna get updated sadly. It hurts Lloyd the most for sure. And as much as I would love some golden sun stuff, I feel Nintendo in general dislikes any of their RPG series right now....

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero

I don't think another sword wielder is impossible....but I think if we get another character who wields a sword and it's not Isaac I think I'd be ready to accept defeat...at least for Smash Ultimate. I can't see the pass having more than two sword wielders. (Does Steve count? I keep forgetting he's "technically" a sword wielder....)

Geno's out! One less contender!
In one sense how unpredictable these characters have been give me some hope for Isaac (paired with the Golden Sun game rumours) but on the other hand seeing a character like Geno who had a strong fanbase for Smash getting smacked down like that makes me feel nervous and less confident for Isaac. It feels like we can't really rely on fan demand....and in a lot of ways that always felt like Isaacs greatest strength.

On the other other hand, I wonder if maybe Square wasn't happy with the idea of being represented by Geno. He may be a beloved character but to Square Enix he's probably not much more than a one off character from a franchise they haven't touched in decades.

As for a third fighter pass, personally I think one final "bonus" character similar to Piranha Plant could happen. It's very much a Sakurai thing to do to be right at the end and go "Well actually....". I'm not really expecting a third fighter pass. (but it's Smash so I don't think anything can be confidently ruled out either)

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I haven't been to the Geno thread yet, but I'll offer my condolences when I can.
I bet it's too much of a warzone for me to bother.

Also, you think Sephiroth's down smash having a hitbox on the debris could work for Venus Psynergy?

Monue

Smash Apprentice
In one sense how unpredictable these characters have been give me some hope for Isaac (paired with the Golden Sun game rumours) but on the other hand seeing a character like Geno who had a strong fanbase for Smash getting smacked down like that makes me feel nervous and less confident for Isaac.
This is definitely the takeaway with this pass so far, and this in-depth Sephiroth video in particular. The pass could be anyone, but it isn't necessarily going to be anyone long-time fans have been asking for. Strange and frightening times for Isaac fans.

zferolie

Smash Hero
This is definitely the takeaway with this pass so far, and this in-depth Sephiroth video in particular. The pass could be anyone, but it isn't necessarily going to be anyone long-time fans have been asking for. Strange and frightening times for Isaac fans.
Honestly, our best expectation is to expect the unexpected. If they haven't been offically deconfirmed, they can feasibly be a part of smash. And fan love or relevance means nothing either.

Kalaam

Smash Ace
I bet it's too much of a warzone for me to bother.

Also, you think Sephiroth's down smash having a hitbox on the debris could work for Venus Psynergy?
Honestly the past 2 dlcs added a lot of things that could benefit Isaac:
  • Dynamic obstacle/item creation on terrain (Steve)
  • Debris property on attacks based on ground hits (Sephiroth)
  • Stage telling a story (Sephiroth, could be the lighthouses and the golden sun)
  • Costume dependent Final Smash (a Felix costume could get another summon, or Isaac's FS could change depending on his current djinn setup)

ZelDan

Smash Master
I dunno, like others I feel bad for the Geno fans, and frankly Geno being de-confirmed with a Mii costume doesn't bode well for Isaac, who does have both a Mii Costume and an Assist to contend with.

Now, I don't believe in fan rules, and I've clearly supported the idea that neither of these things de-confirm Isaac for the second pass; I still firmly believe that Nintendo will do what Nintendo wants to do - howeverrrrr, I also can absolutely see Nintendo just choosing to pass Isaac over since we've already got some representation. They may very well have not even given him a second thought, and it doesn't help that Geno, who has a huge, vocal, and rabid fan base in the Smash community, got passed over. Bigger, louder, and more ravenous than even we Isaac fans.

Honestly this hurts Isaac's chances in my opinion. I totally hope I'm wrong, I guess we'll see!
I doubt that Geno's Smash 4 costume has any real affect or really says anything about Isaac's chances.

Remember that Geno's ownership situation is much more complicated than Isaac's, with Isaac being a first party character owned by Ninendo and Geno being stuck in an awkward split bewteen Nintendo and SE. and I would guess this ownership issue could be why Geno has difficulty getting anything beyond a non-deluxe costume or spirit.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace

On the flip side, Geno had to go through Square, who weren't willing to play ball. Isaac is a first-party character who has new content coming eventually. The characters are in similar, but ultimately different situations and I don't think what happened to one affects the chances of the other.

Monue

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, our best expectation is to expect the unexpected. If they haven't been offically deconfirmed, they can feasibly be a part of smash. And fan love or relevance means nothing either.
While I agree, one thing Sakurai has clearly stated has been that Assist Trophies and Mii Costumes are compensation for not getting a full fighter - that statement made before pass two could be seen as the nail in the coffin fans aren't willing to acknowledge. Except for Spirits, who are no longer a hard de-confirm, we don't know for sure yet that that statement has changed this round. You are right though, we should expect the unexpected, this pass certainly has been that so far.

I doubt that Geno's Smash 4 costume has any real affect or really says anything about Isaac's chances.

Remember that Geno's ownership situation is much more complicated than Isaac's, with Isaac being a first party character owned by Ninendo and Geno being stuck in an awkward split bewteen Nintendo and SE. and I would guess this ownership issue could be why Geno has difficulty getting anything beyond a non-deluxe costume or spirit.
On the flip side, Geno had to go through Square, who weren't willing to play ball. Isaac is a first-party character who has new content coming eventually. The characters are in similar, but ultimately different situations and I don't think what happened to one affects the chances of the other.
Very true. It's certainly something to hold on to, coupled with the fact that we've gotten more than one genuine surprise this pass. I'm still supportive, and I'm hoping for the best. Isaac does have several things going for him, but there are clear obstacles, and I worry the mountain he has to climb has grown more steep after today.

Last edited:

StrawHatX

Smash Lord

We have no way to know for sure, but yeah I’m sure Geno’s “situation” was always going to screw him. He’s a Mario character owned by Square. That’s the worst thing lol.

Nintendo has so many other Mario characters they could use that doesn’t require them to go through a third party, and Geno probably wouldn’t be on Square’s Top Ten characters they’d want in Smash.

Monue

Smash Apprentice
It's wild to me how, despite all of us being joined together beneath the banner of Smash, how different fans of certain characters can be.

The raw, unbridled passion of Geno fans leaves me awestruck. I say this with all due respect and well-intentions. I wasn't around for when Isaac was revealed as an Assist, were things as crazy here as things are for Geno fans now? It's always been relatively chill among the Isaac fans in my experience.

Edit: I'm a little jealous if I'm being honest. I know they have historically had a bad reputation in the community, warranted or not, but I've always found myself drawn to honest passion. Such willingness to give oneself over to their feelings, desires, hopes, and faith.

I'd definitely end up a Sith lmao.

Last edited:

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
Honestly the past 2 dlcs added a lot of things that could benefit Isaac:
  • Dynamic obstacle/item creation on terrain (Steve)
  • Debris property on attacks based on ground hits (Sephiroth)
  • Stage telling a story (Sephiroth, could be the lighthouses and the golden sun)
  • Costume dependent Final Smash (a Felix costume could get another summon, or Isaac's FS could change depending on his current djinn setup)
Sakurai really did forget about Orbital Gate Assault from SSB4, it also had story elements tied in.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
It's wild to me how, despite all of us being joined together beneath the banner of Smash, how different fans of certain characters can be.

The raw, unbridled passion of Geno fans leaves me awestruck. I say this with all due respect and well-intentions. I wasn't around for when Isaac was revealed as an Assist, were things as crazy here as things are for Geno fans now? It's always been relatively chill among the Isaac fans in my experience.
I threw in the towel when Isaac’s AT was revealed right before launch. It was the ultimate gut punch to wait that long to reveal him. I was seriously pissed. It’s not Sakurai’s fault, but I was angry at myself for believing after so long it might finally happen.

But a lot of people in this thread have been holding out hope and continuing to support him and it’s really admirable. I still support Isaac and I’m always hopeful it could happen, but I don’t personally think he’s coming. I’d love to be wrong though.

At the end of the day I just want the series to come back and I’m hoping the rumors of it returning are true. Isaac is still my most wanted no matter what, but since I believe his chances are done I’m just enjoying the ride now. I’d love to see Crash or Rex show up. Even Eggman would be pretty hype.

Top Bottom