• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

ZelDan

Smash Master
I don't know, it could just be me, but while Felix being a semiclone or echo would be awesome, the idea of him being an alt for Isaac doesn't really do anything for me. If Isaac had an alt I'd rather they use adult Isaac or give young Isaac the attire of his older self or whatever.

Of course I sure as hell wouldn't complain if we got Isaac with Felix as an alt. Seeing Isaac as playable at all at this point would be amazing.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
I feel like if this was the base game, we'd have seen Felix as an Echo, but an alt is the best they can do for DLC so he could end up as Isaac's swap. I wouldn't have a problem with it, it allows for all 8 GBA party members to be represented without worrying about the colors for Mia and Piers looking too similar on Isaac. Hopefully next game they can get it done (and possibly get an amiibo of Felix made).

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I've posted this earlier in the general newcomer thread, but if you listen closely/dig through the files, you can notice that the FP2 crowd cheers aren't localized, while FP1's were. No one cared because Min Min didn't sound off, but Steve and co.'s cheers can sound rather Engrishy. How would they handle Isaac/Felix, who would have a bigger problem considering they're named Robin and Garcia in Japan?

LinkStrife

Smash Cadet
I've posted this earlier in the general newcomer thread, but if you listen closely/dig through the files, you can notice that the FP2 crowd cheers aren't localized, while FP1's were. No one cared because Min Min didn't sound off, but Steve and co.'s cheers can sound rather Engrishy. How would they handle Isaac/Felix, who would have a bigger problem considering they're named Robin and Garcia in Japan?
Also, Isaac is Hans in Spain. Felix is the same.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Meanwhile in Korean only Isaac is localized as Robin
Everyone else's name is written in English

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Isaac can fit neatly into pretty much any of the scenarios implied by Voice Theory, since he could potentially come by himself (one voice) or with some number of alts carrying different voices (Felix, Matthew, Adult Isaac).
Overall, probably not worth looking at too closely until we get down to the final one or two fighters in the pass.

LegendOfDragoon

Smash Journeyman
This really isn't that unlikely. If the supposed golden sun remake is real, I can see them announcing it and showing off that you will have two parties with two main characters in the game.

Then having both of them in smash together would sell the idea even more. Plus it would also be very easy to implement as they could easily share the same move set, model, and animations based on their gameplay and art..

Plus wouldn't this be a neat way to represent all GS1 and GS2 characters in smash:

I would be shocked if this isn't what happens.
That would honestly be perfect except I would have loved playing Isaac with the Jenna colors all day every day. If it happens like this, I would probably play default Isaac.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Worst case scenario they can use Robin's English chant for the Japanese version and record only Isaac chants for every other version.

amageish

Smash Master
Felix getting in as well would be amazing, though I don't think we can get much info out of the voice theory pragmatically. Obviously not every character could have a unique alt with unique voices, but I imagine a whole lot of them could if Sakurai and the team were feeling generous...

Worst case scenario they can use Robin's English chant for the Japanese version and record only Isaac chants for every other version.
That is... remarkably clever use of a localization change. Points!

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
I'm pretty sure they didn't localize either of them because their names are just the same, so it wasn't worth the extra localizing costs.

For Isaac they would definitely localize

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Yeah Min Min talks Chinese in all versions and Steve doesn't have a voice plus when it comes to names it's the same in all regions so that wasn't needed for those characters to begin with. With Isaac they'll definitely cater to his other names being Robin, Hans and Vlad (and potentially with Felix too with Garcia and Pavel)

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
This is unrelated to the crowd cheers, but I was talking with a teacher of mine yesterday and I mentioned how Golden Sun had a chance of returning. He was interested since he's also a fan of the series (apparently he played through the entirety of the first game on a single 16-hour round trip) and he asked me how I would feel if they added Mia to Smash instead of Isaac. I said I'd be confused, but happy it's something new regardless. Then we started joking about adding GS skins to current characters, like Garet to Ike and Mia to Zelda.

As for the cheers, there's no way they wouldn't localize them. It's not like Steve where is name is the same in all languages, it's completely different names for four languages.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
In general I don't feel technicalities like that is anything to worry about. If we were to hear that 100 stages would need to be reworked for a character to be playable in Smash, we likely would thought no way was that happening. After Steve, it seems like if something needs to be done to accommodate the character then it will be done. Of course give or take them wanting said character in the first place.

Last edited:

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
This is unrelated to the crowd cheers, but I was talking with a teacher of mine yesterday and I mentioned how Golden Sun had a chance of returning. He was interested since he's also a fan of the series (apparently he played through the entirety of the first game on a single 16-hour round trip) and he asked me how I would feel if they added Mia to Smash instead of Isaac. I said I'd be confused, but happy it's something new regardless. Then we started joking about adding GS skins to current characters, like Garet to Ike and Mia to Zelda.

As for the cheers, there's no way they wouldn't localize them. It's not like Steve where is name is the same in all languages, it's completely different names for four languages.
Honestly I'd be down for Mia or Jenna, since we'd inevitably get an extraordinarily unique moveset from that, but Isaac's still our best bet by a long shot

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Just summing up my thoughts in this thread. Still bugs me to this day. lol

It’s crazy how many names Isaac has around the world. And they all sound cool! That’ll be fun to tinker with in the language settings for him. Haha.

Gioka

Smash Journeyman

It’s crazy how many names Isaac has around the world. And they all sound cool! That’ll be fun to tinker with in the language settings for him. Haha.
I wholeheartedly agree. It is weird. I don't want to get my hopes too out there, but aside from that, there is also no way Nintendo hasn't noticed everything going around the Smash and Golden Sun fandoms for the past 2 years.

By the way guys, friendly reminder to vote for Isaac here! https://www.globalsmashroster.com/ It kinda got biased by the TF2 sub reddit I believe, but still fun to support Isaac (and/or Felix)

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
I wholeheartedly agree. It is weird. I don't want to get my hopes too out there, but aside from that, there is also no way Nintendo hasn't noticed everything going around the Smash and Golden Sun fandoms for the past 2 years.

By the way guys, friendly reminder to vote for Isaac here! https://www.globalsmashroster.com/ It kinda got biased by the TF2 sub reddit I believe, but still fun to support Isaac (and/or Felix)
I'm just happy because I added Tetra a while back after being surprised she wasn't already listed, and she's up to 140 votes now. As for Isaac, seeing him behind meme characters like an Among Us crewmate and half the classes from TF2 is a little awkward, but I suppose nearly 500 votes for a character from a long-dormant series isn't half bad.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

I'm personally not interested in this poll, given how clearly lopsided it is. As much as I support Reimu, there is no way that she's more popular than Shadow, Sora, Dante, 2B, and the like. And bloody Klonoa ranking higher than Rex? Kinda biased is an understatement.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
I heard that the Global Smash Roster is fully rigged, so it doesn’t surprise me that Henry, Red (Among Us) and more are high up there. Kind of sad really. The poll I’ll always pay attention to is the Smash Ballot Exit Poll because at least THAT one is the most accurate.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I heard that the Global Smash Roster is fully rigged, so it doesn’t surprise me that Henry, Red (Among Us) and more are high up there. Kind of sad really. The poll I’ll always pay attention to is the Smash Ballot Exit Poll because at least THAT one is the most accurate.
I'm not sure if it's rigged so much as it's only a small fraction of the overall fanbase. I don't fully trust polls because of that; Even with the Source Gaming Poll, I only use that as a somewhat vague approximation, (So, for example, I only count Crash as one of the top ten rather than the most requested character)

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman

The only difference is that GS had songs in the base game. But they had their hands tied, I guess.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Honestly at this point if there's new polls I just really don't trust them, since it's not valuable data they're collecting; just opinions.

The exit poll was a collection of characters that people ACTUALLY VOTED FOR on the ballot, which is why it was so accurate. All it did was attempt to collect the votes of the people that actually voted on the ballot and used those results to approximate what actually happened.

amageish

Smash Master
Honestly at this point if there's new polls I just really don't trust them, since it's not valuable data they're collecting; just opinions.

The exit poll was a collection of characters that people ACTUALLY VOTED FOR on the ballot, which is why it was so accurate. All it did was attempt to collect the votes of the people that actually voted on the ballot and used those results to approximate what actually happened.
Are you implying that Sakurai isn't sitting around going "Wait, a fan website says people want Henry Stickman? Quick! Cancel all my plans for the DLC! Get out of the contracts! We need to make this happen!"?

I'm shocked.

but, yes, any characters who get in and do well are current polls while having lacked presence in the ballot era probably get in due to the factors that make people want them in the first place (ex/ good games, long legacy, relevancy, popularity amongst the wider gaming community) and not due to those fans themselves...

LegendOfDragoon

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if it's rigged so much as it's only a small fraction of the overall fanbase. I don't fully trust polls because of that; Even with the Source Gaming Poll, I only use that as a somewhat vague approximation, (So, for example, I only count Crash as one of the top ten rather than the most requested character)
The source gaming one is the only one that comes close to being sociologically sound.

There would only be two ways to get a better understanding of patterns within the smash community. Either a curated sample size, where participants are selected to carefully match a studied set of demographics within the smash community or just an insanely large sample size with proofs against a single individual participating multiple times.

Neither are particularly feasible anytime soon, imo

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
The only difference is that GS had songs in the base game. But they had their hands tied, I guess.
That’s why I said “New Songs”. Which is interesting when you consider that those two GS songs we got were all that Smash 4 had for GS content and Sakurai said in an interview somewhere that Smash 4 was used as a basis for Ultimate.
What I don’t understand is why we didn’t get at least one new song if they were gonna bother giving us all this GS content at all? They could have at least gave us a rip of any song like Isaac’s Battle Theme and called it good. Or even asked Motoi Sakuraba to do a remix of any GS song since he was/is composing for Smash. I don’t know, man. If they could rip multiple songs from a GBA game from a third party and not their own, that’s just weird.
Maybe we’re getting the new remastered/remixed songs from Sakuraba later because he’s composing for the new GS game and don’t want to spoil anything. Idk.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
There's no way to know for certain the results of the Ballot without being Nintendo, but the massive aggregate poll that was made is really the only one I trust. Even then, we'll never know exactly how accurate it is, but it's a decent source because of how large the sample size is.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
There's no way to know for certain the results of the Ballot without being Nintendo, but the massive aggregate poll that was made is really the only one I trust. Even then, we'll never know exactly how accurate it is, but it's a decent source because of how large the sample size is.
I'm fairly certain it's at LEAST 90% accurate, if not entirely accurate. Every character with a sizable placement in the top 20 got representation in at least some way.
1603327825846.png

This quote heavily indicates the accuracy.

Last edited:

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
That quote really proves Isaac's consistency, at the very least. I remember voting for him in the ballot, when I wasn't really involved in the Smash Community, but I did see posts with people mentioning him and I was like "Yay, somebody likes Isaac from that RPG I played in Spanish when I was younger."

LinkStrife

Smash Cadet
That quote really proves Isaac's consistency, at the very least. I remember voting for him in the ballot, when I wasn't really involved in the Smash Community, but I did see posts with people mentioning him and I was like "Yay, somebody likes Isaac from that RPG I played in Spanish when I was younger."
Speaking of which, Billybae10K Billybae10K , when do you believe will you be able to upload the next part of the "Rate Their Chances" series? I really want to hear your thoughts on Isaac. This GS-Hype train has me excited since I saw your Golden Sun video a few days back.

LegendOfDragoon

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of which, Billybae10K Billybae10K , when do you believe will you be able to upload the next part of the "Rate Their Chances" series? I really want to hear your thoughts on Isaac. This GS-Hype train has me excited since I saw your Golden Sun video a few days back.
I'm just happy to see so many people with the flame still burning. Even if the trademark situations end up being routine maintenance All this speculation has been a ton of fun, and even just talking about Isaac will make him more attractive for Smash and Nintendo's future!

LinkStrife

Smash Cadet
I'm just happy to see so many people with the flame still burning. Even if the trademark situations end up being routine maintenance All this speculation has been a ton of fun, and even just talking about Isaac will make him more attractive for Smash and Nintendo's future!
Yesterday I entered Golden Sun Realm after so many years, and I remembered the excitement I had while waiting for a sequel for Dark Dawn.

These past few days made even more excited that before. Now there's actual evidence for a remaster/remake of one of my favorites games of all time (alongside Ocarina of Time, Chrono Trigger and Sonic 3 & Knuckles), and a huge possibility of seeing one one of the main faces of that franchise.

Those past years had been really hard for Golden Sun, but now seems to be the perfect moment to be a fan of the franchise, and I can't wait to see what the future has in store for all of us.

EDIT: It has been very emotional to see how many people share this love for Golden Sun. In just a few days I met so many amazing people that shares this passion for these games and, I have to say, it has been an incredible experience.

Last edited:

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
There's a chance it could be out today, but the video's currently sitting at around 50 minutes long, so it's been taking a lot of work on my end to edit up. It'll be up when it's up, pretty much.

Top Bottom