• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
JRPGs continuing to dominate on the Switch is always a good thing to see. If they play their cards right with GS on Switch I think it's going to be a successful revival

Kisae

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darkkisae
That is very cool to see that JRPGS are doing very good on Switch. This could really contribuate to a GS sucessful revival

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I want to ask you guys a question; what would you prefer, a new Golden Sun game or Isaac as a playable character in Smash? If you could choose only one option which one it would be?

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I'm honestly tired of ports and remasters on the Switch. I want new entries in my favorite Nintendo franchises.
Sadly that was always going to be the case, we were warned about it early this year by Era insiders and Jeff alltogether, that ports and HDs would be nintendo's main goal in 2020. Who knows tho, maybe there will be something new

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
I want to ask you guys a question; what would you prefer, a new Golden Sun game or Isaac as a playable character in Smash? If you could choose only one option which one it would be?
Honestly, Isaac in Smash.

I feel Golden Sun 4 would just confuse new plays as it would carry on from Dark Dawn most likely. A remake of the first 2 games is more likely to give the series a future. And Xenoblade Chronicles DE having strong sales shows being a remake doesn't hurt.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I may not know too much about the series, but I feel like Isaac's leaning to heavily into the geomancer aspect here. He should be using his sword in a couple more attacks than just his jab and dash attack. At the very least, he should have some more strikes in his tilts and most of his aerials, because A: The tilts are the quick, weak strikes, and B: Isaac's still pretty young and inexperienced, so as a Venus Adept, he'd logically be out of his element in the air. He'd be awkwardly flailing downwards, with the Psynergy confined to the input closest to the ground, his down air. His up air would be a silly clunk with the hilt, just to emphasize how bad he is in the air.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
I may not know too much about the series, but I feel like Isaac's leaning to heavily into the geomancer aspect here. He should be using his sword in a couple more attacks than just his jab and dash attack. At the very least, he should have some more strikes in his tilts and most of his aerials, because A: The tilts are the quick, weak strikes, and B: Isaac's still pretty young and inexperienced, so as a Venus Adept, he'd logically be out of his element in the air. He'd be awkwardly flailing downwards, with the Psynergy confined to the input closest to the ground, his down air. His up air would be a silly clunk with the hilt, just to emphasize how bad he is in the air.
I think him being weaker in the air would make more sense, I'll think about it.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
We had this question recently, and as before I think it's Isaac in Smash. Smash is liable to get a lot more interest to the series than a new Golden Sun would (as weird as that is to say), and thus is liable to get us a new game anyway. Going the other way, a new Golden Sun would be nice, of course, but depending on how successful it is we still may not get that goal of Smash representation. Thus, I think the better odds are choosing Smash in the short term.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Adding Isaac to Smash would drum up interest for Golden Sun, as games like Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus have proven, so Isaac in Smash should go first to build a foundation for a revival. Horse before the cart, as they say.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I'm fine with ports/remasters if they are for games I haven't played. I'd love remasters for Mario Sunshine, Fire Emblem 4 and 6, Pokemon gens 4 and 5 for this reason.

Of course I'm down with remasters of games I have already played if they add some meaningful new content.

Last edited:

Kisae

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darkkisae
I personally would go to a new GS Game. Being a port,remake,reboot or wathever.

Sure getting Isaac in Smash would be ice on the cake and give GS lot of exposure, But idk for the moment i would gladly prefer a new entry to the GS saga by ane mean.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'm fine with ports/remasters if they are for games I haven't played. I'd love remasters for Mario Sunshine, Fire Emblem 4 and/or 6, Pokemon gens 4 and 5 for this reason.

Of course I'm down with remasters of games I have already played if they add some meaningful new content.
Agree. if you haven't played them, they're still new, right?

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
I would go with Smash too.

• Smash made wonders for Kid Icarus, Fire Emblem and Xenoblade exposure. It would also for Golden Sun.
  • Having, at last, Isaac in this pantheon that is Smash would makes him enter in gaming history. More than now I mean. That is a recognition.
  • If I really want to play GS, I can play the GBA game. It even would probably give me more nostalgia than a remake (even if I would love one, look at Xenoblade).
  • I annoy my friends every week with "Isaac in Smash" when we are playing SSBU. And they are laughing at me. He needs to happen.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Honestly the game. I can deal better with no smash fighter than having an unfinished / abandoned series not getting more games after 10 years.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I don't really feel like a Golden Sun remaster or new game (but especially a remaster/remake) would do that much for Isaac's chances of getting into Smash one day. I think it could help for sure....in the right circumstances. As in the timing would have to be perfect, if Isaac isn't in this second fighter pass then getting a new Golden Sun game a year after the fighter pass ends isn't necessarily going to do anything for us when the next Smash game rolls around. (which could be more than 5 years away at that point)

Arguably unless this remaster/new game sells more than 1 million copies it probably isn't going to be enough to put Isaac on the roster by itself. I think even with a new game Golden Sun would still be considered a very niche franchise.

On the other hand I feel like Isaac getting into Smash could definitely help make a new Golden Sun game more likely to happen. (if it isn't already happening) I get the impression that Isaac in Smash first and then a new Golden Sun game is the best way to get both to happen. (the other way around to me seems less reliable)

(To be fair, I think fan demand will have played a massive role if Isaac is a part of this fighter pass....I'm just for this post assuming that the only thing that matters for a characters inclusion is how big/noteworthy the franchise is.)

So to answer the question in an earlier post, I think I'd choose Isaac in Smash over a new game. If only because I think that's the best chance of getting both options eventually.

Edit: On another note, I was just looking in the Geno thread and famanonice was saying something about Golden Sun possibly being one of the 4 indie games being rumoured right now. Has anyone else heard anything about this? I mean I know there are rumours about a Golden Sun game being developed but I hadn't heard anything about it being developed by an indie team....who would even be in charge of that? (and would they be working with Camelot?)

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Not sure if this question was answered yet, but Nazyrus Nazyrus , regarding the Golden Sun remake you've been hearing about, you think it's just going to be a remake including the first GBA game or both GBA titles since they were originally meant to be one story?

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Not sure if this question was answered yet, but Nazyrus Nazyrus , regarding the Golden Sun remake you've been hearing about, you think it's just going to be a remake including the first GBA game or both GBA titles since they were originally meant to be one story?
My guess is both as one now yeah, there is no reason to cut it in 2 parts anymore

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
I'd choose Smash cause the nature of it in general just helps characters to stay relevant, popular, and immortalized in a fandom even if they have not seen a game entry in years like Captain Falcon. It also helps boost the popularity of characters immensely without having to put in crazy effort, and again I don't know what kind of fan demand sign the Takahashi Brothers are looking for to continue on with the Golden Sun series but Smash would help to bring in that wider audience.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
For me that depends. If by Smash we mean Ultimate then in Smash for sure. If it's another Smash title then well probably I want a new game more.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
One cool idea I had was Isaac's down air acting as a downwards tether, meant to keep him on the ground rather than get back on the stage. As a young Venus Adept, my moveset for him is mostly grounded, so his aerials would be kinda awkward. The idea is that it's kind of a panicked "I need to get back on the ground" reaction.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink

The pose reminds me of that meme where Pepe is about to punch you. Don’t know what the meme is called though. lol

I’d rather have Isaac in Smash first because as everyone has said, it immobilizes Isaac (and Golden Sun) as a legacy icon of Nintendo’s. Keeps people in the know that Isaac exists and Golden Sun and eventually introduces more people into the series. Drums up more demand for GS to return in the long run. And if a game doesn’t happen, then at least we have Isaac in the biggest “Hall of Fame” of VG history.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
Edit: On another note, I was just looking in the Geno thread and famanonice was saying something about Golden Sun possibly being one of the 4 indie games being rumoured right now. Has anyone else heard anything about this? I mean I know there are rumours about a Golden Sun game being developed but I hadn't heard anything about it being developed by an indie team....who would even be in charge of that? (and would they be working with Camelot?)
For people who would like to see:
https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior.446378/page-3158#post-24046596

SharkLord

Smash Hero
This would be great if true, but I'm taking this with a grain of salt. Fatman has admitted many times that most of what he's doing is speculation and guesswork based on his limited insider info, and apparently his track record isn't that great. Of course, we could get lucky, but I'm cautious about this. Not gonna jump the gun just yet.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Don't even bother listening to fatman, it's just a waste of time. There's plenty other reason to expect Golden Sun even disregarding him

amageish

Smash Master
I swear some rumours nowadays feel like Nintendo devs played musical chairs to decide who gets what IP (see, Next Level Games gave Strikers to Camelot, while Camelot gave Golden Sun to an indie dev)...

Overall though, this idea kind of goes against what Nintendo has said about Cadence of Hyrule as a collab. They commented that it was like Hyrule Warriors - a collaboration with people great at making a type of game Nintendo doesn't make themselves. I imagine any future indie games will be in the same vision as that, giving indie studios producing unique types of games Nintendo IPs/worlds to play with, not just "Nintendo JRPG, but by an indie studio."

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Fatman, Indie, and Golden Sun aren’t really things that go well together. I think everyone is aware that SOMETHING Golden Sun is happening but, I wouldn’t lean on Fat for this. All in all the dude might have stuff but I’ve realized after a while that he jumps the gun on stuff pretty often.

He may have heard something about an indie direct and also heard something about GS and just assumed they were together for some reason. You never know.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Just to set the record straight here and keep misinformation from spreading fat never said anything about golden sun in relation to indies. All he did was back up Nazyrus's claims when he came in to talk about his golden sun info.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
I do believe that Golden Sun is Camelot's next project but as an indie project I don't think so. My bets are still on GS 1 and 2 remakes and a new game if that release is successful

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
Just to set the record straight here and keep misinformation from spreading fat never said anything about golden sun in relation to indies. All he did was back up Nazyrus's claims when he came in to talk about his golden sun info.
This. I read that post and the Indie portion is clearly a completely separate portion from the Golden Sun segment before it, which mainly just backed up what Nazyrus has been saying for the past year.

Whether you trust Fat or not is an entirely different topic, but let's not get the information in that post twisted.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
I do believe that Golden Sun is Camelot's next project but as an indie project I don't think so. My bets are still on GS 1 and 2 remakes and a new game if that release is successful
I hope Golden Sun doesn't return, only to disappear again. With it being a continuous story, a sequel needs to be immediate and it's already made to boot so it'd seem odd that there's not a follow up. If the Takahashi Brothers finally return to Golden Sun, I hope it's with the intention to finish the story in it's entirety, in consistent releases, to keep the audience hyped and engaged and see it treated like a flagship Nintendo IP. That'd be the dream at least.

Last edited:

Kalaam

Smash Ace
I hope they return with the intention to make it a long lasting saga. With its main plot, and side stories. Maybe even future plots taking place generations after the first one. Or generations prior.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Personally the only way I could really understand an indie team working on a Golden Sun game would be if they were working on a remake/remaster of the original two games while Camelot worked on Golden Sun 4.

Otherwise I don't see why Camelot wouldn't be in charge.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
JRPGs continuing to dominate on the Switch is always a good thing to see. If they play their cards right with GS on Switch I think it's going to be a successful revival
Well, the game is awesome. So I'm happy it did good. Very grateful it came out on Switch, as I always wanted to play it.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Golden sun coming has no relation to that 3 games rumor fatman is talking about.

First: the only time my NoA source heard for sure that gs is coming, was this April.

Second: the 3 game rumor is from last year and wasnt even considered trusted by my source, and the reason you never saw sabi or me even talk about it back then is because we respected NoA's wish of not spreading rumors they deemed not believable at all to begin with. That is why NoA's track record was perfect and that is why sabi leaking nintendo stuff back then ended in c&d, he was always right on what came from his mouth. NoA said their trust on the rumor didn't even surpass 25% of being real, lol. From time to time NoA would tell us a rumor that they didnt trust or wasnt sure of, just to discuss among us in the private group, and the reason NoA got mad back then and kicked some people from the private group was because such worthless rumors started getting out of the private group when they said to never do that, lol.

So yeah lets not mix my info from this year with a last year false rumor that wasnt worth spreading to begin with, even if it included gs as well.

Let's put it this way: fake banjo rumors will always remain fake because of where they came from or who made them. Shinobi and Sabi being right about Banjo a day or two before reveal doesn't make the rest of fake rumors out there suddendly real as well, that's not how it works.

This rumor of 3 games wasn't a trustworthy source to my NoA guy whatsoever, but the one from this April is someone NoA told me TWICE they 100% trust in. So whoever came with the 3 games rumor to NoA last year is not the same person from April of this year.

Last edited:

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
I'm just happy to see people linking their sources, reliable or not. Honestly wasn't aware there were actual rumors about Golden Sun being a thing: seemed like it was just a lot of speculation from fellow GS fans based on things like the trademarks and Camelot's unusually long period without a release. Could all still be nothing, of course, but nice to have something to be hopeful for, especially with Isaac in Smash still feeling like a pipe dream at this point.

Top Bottom