• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
That's it. Cadence DLC, SMT, and two random games. Note that there were two others games in the japanese Direct.

Let's back to waiting again, but I believe there will be way stronger things at a later date, looking at the disappointement of insiders who were expecting big surprises.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
I'm popping off because of SMTV but the rest was kinda rough. Still liked it, I expect this "Partner Showcase" to happen monthly given the branding of "July 2020" and the announcement of more in the future. Still expecting a full general Nintendo Direct in August.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Nocturne HD was neat. Didn't feel like we really learned much more about Shin Megami Tensei V aside from that it's releasing next year.

I think knowing it was a mini direct helped me keep my expectations in check. Even so I thought they would gone through the games quicker and had more of them.

Also it's kinda funny to me that when people saw it was 10 minutes they were let down.....and then in the end it wasn't even 10 minutes.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
At this point I don't think I'd expect much from these Nintendo direct minis, especially not in terms of Smash.

If anything they'll just drop a Smash direct/trailer independent of these mini directs in the next month or so.

Pwnapplez

Smash Ace
Nintendo fans and their expectations in a post Covid-19 world....
image0-2.jpg

Was this direct necessary? No. Did people blow this out of proportion? Yeah buddy.

Smash news will come, new games will come, but people patience is a virtue.

ZelDan

Smash Master
As I said in the general newcomer specualtion thread, I get why people are frustrated right now with Nintendo, but it feels like they are aiming it at the wrong things, those being Kelios and SMTV.

Sentinel07

Smash Apprentice
You know, I had low expectations for the Direct Mini, but finally getting to see Shin Megami Tensei 5 made me so happy! :D

And simultaneous worldwide release? Atlus is finally learning after how annoyingly long we had to wait for Persona 5 to make it over.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
You know, I had low expectations for the Direct Mini, but finally getting to see Shin Megami Tensei 5 made me so happy! :D

And simultaneous worldwide release? Atlus is finally learning after how annoyingly long we had to wait for Persona 5 to make it over.
This should truly have been just an Atlus direct lol

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
Shin Megami Tensei Direct (Featuring John Cena from WWE)
Wasn't the original meme about "ft. Dante from Devil May Cry" from Shin Megami Tensei in the first place? Oh how the turntables.

Well leakers are saying there's more to come fairly soon/stuff was left out of this direct. So back on that waiting grind.

Not sure what to think about Atelier Ryza and the other game being cut other than NOA thinks Americans like wrestling and guns more than things we actually like.

You know what? I do know what to think. I might buy that first Ryza game. That's what I think.

Last edited:

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
Atelier Ryza 2 trailer. This appears.
View attachment 279456
I definitely wouldn’t look too deep into that, it’s just a scene from the game. People need to understand the Smash symbol as well as the letters with a wax seal are incredibly common things in pop culture. This reminds me of that Shantae game trailer last year that showed her waking up and the sunlight shining through her window creates the Smash symbol but so far it meant nothing. So don’t put any stock into that scene.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink

One day, Golden Sun & F-Zero (and many more) will return and it will be awesome! Got one (or two?) more good pic of these two that I’ll post later this week.

Smash news will come, new games will come, but people patience is a virtue.
You’re absolutely right! The year isn’t over yet. There’s still something coming. We just have to be patient. :)

Sentinel07

Smash Apprentice

One day, Golden Sun & F-Zero (and many more) will return and it will be awesome! Got one (or two?) more good pic of these two that I’ll post later this week.

You’re absolutely right! The year isn’t over yet. There’s still something coming. We just have to be patient. :)
We'll just have to see if that report that said Nintendo will have a true summer direct at some point (either August or September) will be true or not.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion

I really like that first picture

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
I have returned to this thread tell you that I value the character designs of Camelot very highly.

Is the guy that did all the GS characters and Waluigi's design still working for Camelot? Was he in the Aces credits? I miss him.

oh no he was not oh god oh no

1595394736547.png

It's very distracting design. Would not recommend Atelier Ryza's story either. Weak worldbuilding. Man, why can't every JPRG start off with an eruption destroying a town.

I know that leak turned out to be fake, and it was clearly fake from the outset but I was hoping I could get on board with someone like Ryza in Smash. Instead it seems like a crisis adverted.

Speaking of good JPRGs tho, I just now also played through the opening three hours of Tales of Berseria. It is _quite_ good. I will now be upset if Lloyd does get in over Velvet, and this is from someone who has completed Tales of Symphonia. Generic protagonist sword guy or demon-eating, revenge-driven, wraith barely in control of her emotions? C'mon, Namco.

Not really super related to anything, but I didn't really have anyone else to share this with and used Ryza vs. Sheba/Mia's designs today to explain pandering to people.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
I have returned to this thread tell you that I value the character designs of Camelot very highly.

Is the guy that did all the GS characters and Waluigi's design still working for Camelot? Was he in the Aces credits? I miss him.

View attachment 279671

It's very distracting design. Would not recommend Atelier Ryza's story either. Weak worldbuilding. Man, why can't every JPRG start off with an eruption destroying a town.

I know that leak turned out to be fake, and it was clearly fake from the outset but I was hoping I could get on board with someone like Ryza in Smash. Instead it seems like a crisis adverted.

Speaking of good JPRGs tho, I just now also played through the opening three hours of Tales of Berseria. It is _quite_ good. I will now be upset if Lloyd does get in over Velvet, and this is from someone who has completed Tales of Symphonia. Generic protagonist sword guy or demon-eating, revenge-driven, wraith barely in control of her emotions? C'mon, Namco.

Not really super related to anything, but I didn't really have anyone else to share this with and used Ryza vs. Sheba/Mia's designs today to explain pandering to people.
hands off our thick thighs waifu bro leave her alone

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman

View attachment 279671

I just think that Atelier wasn't for you, it's not meant to be a high stakes, heavily story driven game. And honestly, complaining about her design and then immediately praising Velvet is a tad bit silly.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Opinions aside, support threads shouldn't be places where we **** on other characters.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Yeah, ****ing on other characters doesn't do anything to prop up Isaac and only makes us look bad.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Isaacbros and Lloydbros have been allies for ages now, and this shall not be the day that sacred bond is broken!

ArkSPiTFirE

Smash Journeyman
From the 2018 Smash Ultimate Reddit Poll (where Isaac came 2nd). Never forget.

"89% of participants that always voted for Lloyd also always voted for Isaac except for their match up, 68% of participants that always voted for Isaac also always voted for Lloyd except for their match up."

"The least botted characters (relative to genuine votes received) were Isaac and Lloyd."

Our pure boys are in this together.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
From the 2018 Smash Ultimate Reddit Poll (where Isaac came 2nd). Never forget.

"89% of participants that always voted for Lloyd also always voted for Isaac except for their match up, 68% of participants that always voted for Isaac also always voted for Lloyd except for their match up."

"The least botted characters (relative to genuine votes received) were Isaac and Lloyd."

Our pure boys are in this together.
If that's that I hope they both get in
Would prefer Yuri a bit more but Lloyd is still cool

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
Huh, honestly surprised at that reaction. I enjoyed Tales of Symphonia (and now Berseria) immensely, totally support Tales getting into Smash, but I never once played as Lloyd if another option was available. Even in 2003, I thought he was a dumb design and was always playing as Zelos, Raine, ect. That official quote about if a Tales rep were to get in, it would be Lloyd still disheartens me because it just seems like the Tales of series has so many better, more interesting options, even limiting to just protagonists. Even what little I played of Yuri's and Luke's games made me like them more.

Reminds me of politics. Even if you don't like the person your party nominated, you still get behind them because its your best shot at having your party elected. Min-min was great in bucking that trend (Springman and Lloyd are similar here).

I just think that Atelier wasn't for you, it's not meant to be a high stakes, heavily story driven game. And honestly, complaining about her design and then immediately praising Velvet is a tad bit silly.
Fair enough. Actually, it feels tonally like Stardew Valley/Animal Crossing. Probably why I'm not into it. That and there's no reason other than pandering for this main character to look like 2B x Pyra if it's not going to matter at all to the story or worldbuilding. At least Berseria already made a plot point of Velvet being tomboyish and bad with social things and that driving suitors away.

Last edited:

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Had a dream that Angry Joe was doing a game giveaway to a fan and it was between a Golden Sun switch bundle going to a guy who's been a big fan forever and the other was the newest Mario game going to some streamer. Anyways Angry Joe announced the results and chose Mario.

Me and other GS fans walk past him without looking him in the eye and then continued to give him the silent treatment and decided we could try to raise the money to get the game and Switch on our own. But for some reason we were only putting in pennies and five cents lol. Then Angry Joe makes this video about how Golden Sun fans are crazy and he's getting attacked for not choosing it and yada yada. In the comments he's corrected by fans saying we're not attacking you and doing our own thing.

Angry Joe also magically knows where I work and followed me wondering what's the big deal so I tell him the GS guy would have been way more excited and appreciative over the gift vs the Mario streamer. I show him that the Mario streamer has moved on to another game.

Later on in the day my boss says Angry Joe wants to see me and he jumps out behind his car dressed in a full Isaac costume and I just start jumping and screaming and he's like, we're going to go pay that GS guy a visit. We magically teleport to the top of a mountain and the GS guy is outside his house (which my dream made look like Isaac, come on lol).

But it was so cute, he was super happy and invited us inside, which was pretty small and he had three younger siblings and we played Golden Sun, but it looked like Super Smash Bros for some reason lol.

ArkSPiTFirE

Smash Journeyman
Had a dream that Angry Joe was doing a game giveaway to a fan and it was between a Golden Sun switch bundle going to a guy who's been a big fan forever and the other was the newest Mario game going to some streamer. Anyways Angry Joe announced the results and chose Mario.

Me and other GS fans walk past him without looking him in the eye and then continued to give him the silent treatment and decided we could try to raise the money to get the game and Switch on our own. But for some reason we were only putting in pennies and five cents lol. Then Angry Joe makes this video about how Golden Sun fans are crazy and he's getting attacked for not choosing it and yada yada. In the comments he's corrected by fans saying we're not attacking you and doing our own thing.

Angry Joe also magically knows where I work and followed me wondering what's the big deal so I tell him the GS guy would have been way more excited and appreciative over the gift vs the Mario streamer. I show him that the Mario streamer has moved on to another game.

Later on in the day my boss says Angry Joe wants to see me and he jumps out behind his car dressed in a full Isaac costume and I just start jumping and screaming and he's like, we're going to go pay that GS guy a visit. We magically teleport to the top of a mountain and the GS guy is outside his house (which my dream made look like Isaac, come on lol).

But it was so cute, he was super happy and invited us inside, which was pretty small and he had three younger siblings and we played Golden Sun, but it looked like Super Smash Bros for some reason lol.
...What did I just read?

Nazyrus

Smash Champion

...What did I just read?
And I thought my dreams were wild, lol

ZelDan

Smash Master
I doubt FlawedAI FlawedAI and Isaac: Venus Adept Isaac: Venus Adept remember this but they actually liked a post from two years ago of mine where I mentioned how my Isaac dreams are never the cool and extravagant smash trailers. Just the weird stuff like the above lol.
I'd say magically teleporting to a mountain with an Isaac House with Angry Joe in an Isaac costume is alot more extravagant than any Smash trailer could be.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

This is high level Psynergy, I wish I could remember my dreams in such detail.

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
The long wait for Smash news is driving me slightly crazy. Been watching random videos from Comic-Con@Home today (really missing San Diego Comic-Con, which I would have been at right now if not for the pandemic), and this announcement for a new season of the cartoon Mao Mao really caught me off-guard.
I’m usually quite patient when it comes to getting gaming news from Nintendo, but even I feel starved for info now. Especially since e3 was cancelled.

The one positive thing to remember is that Nintendo should be holding an investors meeting sometime in August, and I highly doubt they go to that meeting without some games scheduled for release in the second half of this year. So I feel it’s safe to assume we will be getting a big direct or at the very least some shadow dropped trailers in the next few weeks.

Top Bottom