• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

ZelDan

Smash Master
Aight, so there's a theory about Waluigi being the fp7 because July 20th is Waluigi's 20th anniversary and there's rumors about direct that day.
Any thoughts?
Anniversaries almost never amount to anything for Smash, so I highly doubt it will this time.

Kalaam

Smash Ace
Aight, so there's a theory about Waluigi being the fp7 because July 20th is Waluigi's 20th anniversary and there's rumors about direct that day.
Any thoughts?
Unlikely. They don't plan release or reveal of character dates to the exact day. It would mean that they planned Waluigi as FP7 back in october, and to reveal him on the 20th of July, without any delay.
That's about as consistent as the FP 7 on the seventh month for the 77th character is Geno theory.

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, everything taken into consideration, I feel it's pretty obvious that the pre-COVID plans were for E3 June presentation to have announced Min Min and FP7. Consider Sakurai always has done multiple fighter reveals at E3, even for the first pass, and respects it enough to show up in person/hold tournaments. Honestly, Min-Min's info was released in such a weird and awkward way that I would probably guess E3 was canceled if I JUST had the information about her release.

That means specific date theories kinda go out the window, as this info SHOULD have dropped the second week of June. Also consider all the stuff in this rumored direct is probably going to be stuff that was well prepared for that date and has been just sitting (or getting a quick second bit of polish with the added time).

What's pretty clear is that when E3 got canceled, seemingly every single video game company had the same conversation, said oh god whew we don't have to rush, then broke up their info and scheduled a lot of it for 4-6 weeks later. Maybe E3 should have always been 3rd week of July, heh.

The only question in my mind is if they'll really do the double Golden Sun mega drop. I feel pretty confident they'll announce GS Switch in the next direct, but would they really do the Smash reveal too? Obviously, we're all hoping, but it could be FP8 or FP9 and in a later direct. Also, would Nintendo release GS Switch in 2020? Bravely Default 2 is coming out and although it is 3rd party, Nintendo has been very chummy with Square and probably wouldn't want to challenge the JRPG space.

I think it probably depends on where Camelot is at and what the scope of GS Switch is. But if they were trying to get some type of gameplay/cinematic trailer ready for June 9th, I can see it happening sooner rather than later.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Yeah, everything taken into consideration, I feel it's pretty obvious that the pre-COVID plans were for E3 June presentation to have announced Min Min and FP7. Consider Sakurai always has done multiple fighter reveals at E3, even for the first pass, and respects it enough to show up in person/hold tournaments. Honestly, Min-Min's info was released in such a weird and awkward way that I would probably guess E3 was canceled if I JUST had the information about her release.

That means specific date theories kinda go out the window, as this info SHOULD have dropped the second week of June. Also consider all the stuff in this rumored direct is probably going to be stuff that was well prepared for that date and has been just sitting (or getting a quick second bit of polish with the added time).

What's pretty clear is that when E3 got canceled, seemingly every single video game company had the same conversation, said oh god whew we don't have to rush, then broke up their info and scheduled a lot of it for 4-6 weeks later. Maybe E3 should have always been 3rd week of July, heh.

The only question in my mind is if they'll really do the double Golden Sun mega drop. I feel pretty confident they'll announce GS Switch in the next direct, but would they really do the Smash reveal too? Obviously, we're all hoping, but it could be FP8 or FP9 and in a later direct. Also, would Nintendo release GS Switch in 2020? Bravely Default 2 is coming out and although it is 3rd party, Nintendo has been very chummy with Square and probably wouldn't want to challenge the JRPG space.

I think it probably depends on where Camelot is at and what the scope of GS Switch is. But if they were trying to get some type of gameplay/cinematic trailer ready for June 9th, I can see it happening sooner rather than later.
What would happen if Seth or any BD rep became playable? Will it affect Isaac's chances?

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
What would happen if Seth or any BD rep became playable? Will it affect Isaac's chances?
It would be like Hero but like a thousand times worse. Another JRPG character NOT owned by Nintendo, about a thousand times less popular worldwide.

I can't realistically imagine that Squenix and Sakurai would make this happen over Geno or Sora or Laura Croft or even Octopath unless it were a big $$$ promo deal.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
If anniversary dates held any water, we'd have gotten Min Min's reveal a week earlier.
Pretty freaking much. I dunno why people keep making prophecies that anniversaries matter at all, lol. It's been years and years of seeing it not matter at all, Nintendo isn't gonna time a reveal for something like that, specially less in this current situation.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Meanwhile, all our speculation suggests that Isaac has a great chance to show up as a fighter BECAUSE of Golden Sun returning. It’s not guaranteed, but the possibility is there. It would be a smart business move for Nintendo and very profitable. Especially since they know Isaac is a highly demanded character and Camelot is more than likely working on a new Golden Sun game since Dec 2017.

Remember, Nintendo is a business first. All these theories on a lot of characters that have “coincidences” happen and the like are just that; coincidences. Meanwhile, Isaac has a business standpoint that Nintendo would easily use to promote the new GS game. It’s profitable! That is, if they’re not dumb. But I guess we’ll see soon enough.

Kalaam

Smash Ace
Remember that *nobody* speculated characters right based on coincidences, ever. And more often than not, characters added in DLC promote something when possible.
Joker, Hero, Byleth, Corrin, Bayonetta...

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Remember that *nobody* speculated characters right based on coincidences, ever. And more often than not, characters added in DLC promote something when possible.
Joker, Hero, Byleth, Corrin, Bayonetta...
The FE ones do, and maybe Hero's default being Luminary - the rest is reading into it too much.

Kalaam

Smash Ace
The FE ones do, and maybe Hero's default being Luminary - the rest is reading into it too much.
For Joker maybe, since he didn't come out on Switch.
Didn't Bayo 2 came out fairly recently or was soon to come out ?

What I'm getting at is: if a character brings promotional material with his inclusion, it's a point that goes toward him getting added. It's an added value for Nintendo. A character wouldn't be solely decided on that, but it can help make a choice between two characters.
Isaac combines characteristics from different type of DLCs: old fan request (ridley, k.rool, Banjo) and potential promotional material (GS trademark).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
For Joker maybe, since he didn't come out on Switch.
Didn't Bayo 2 came out fairly recently or was soon to come out ?
Bayo came out like two years after her game, and last. If she was promotional, it would've made more sense to strike much closer to the iron being hot, and not faff around parading her as the ballot winner. I do legitimately think she was added because Nintendo tried to anticipate ballot results prior to releasing the ballot.

What I'm getting at is: if a character brings promotional material with his inclusion, it's a point that goes toward him getting added. It's an added value for Nintendo. A character wouldn't be solely decided on that, but it can help make a choice between two characters.
Isaac combines characteristics from different type of DLCs: old fan request (ridley, k.rool, Banjo) and potential promotional material (GS trademark).
If a character can be added for promotional purposes, that certainly doesn't hinder their case, but it happens infrequently enough that if it is a positive, it's only incrementally beneficial to any series that isn't FE or Pokemon. Because the chances are still quite slim.

Though I suppose that's all Isaac really has right now.

Last edited:

Kalaam

Smash Ace
Bayo came out like two years after her game, and last. If she was promotional, it would've made more sense to strike much closer to the iron being hot, and not faff around parading her as the ballot winner. I do legitimately think she was added because Nintendo tried to anticipate ballot results prior to releasing the ballot.

If a character can be added for promotional purposes, that certainly doesn't hinder their case, but it happens infrequently enough that if it is a positive, it's only incrementally beneficial to any series that isn't FE or Pokemon. Because the chances are still quite slim.

Though I suppose that's all Isaac really has right now.
No need to be that dismissive about it either. I just said that Isaac had more than that going on.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
No need to be that dismissive about it either. I just said that Isaac had more than that going on.
I know he's got popularity, but he's had popularity for a while. At this point the make or break for getting included is based on promotion (which itself is contingent on several other factors).

Kalaam

Smash Ace
I know he's got popularity, but he's had popularity for a while. At this point the make or break for getting included is based on promotion (which itself is contingent on several other factors).
You could have said the same for Ridley, K.Rool, Banjo...
You're on a **support** thread. If you're here to say that Isaac chances are low, you may have taken a wrong turn.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Nah Bayo was personally funded by Nintendo and they clearly used Smash to expand brand awareness for her. She's just as shill as the rest.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
It's this and priority, I feel. Promotional value elevates him for Nintendo's consideration, and where he sits on Sakurai's interest scale determines when he gets done.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You could have said the same for Ridley, K.Rool, Banjo...
And if they had received a role other than playable despite their popularity and then later received a new game, I would.

You're on a **support** thread. If you're here to say that Isaac chances are low, you may have taken a wrong turn.
It's a discussion thread. I wrote the OP. A "support thread" is tantamount to an echo chamber, and echo chambers aren't particularly useful for anything past hearing what people want to hear.

If someone made a new thread to speak less than positively on Isaac, it would get locked, and they would get redirected here. Because this is where people talk about Isaac. For good, for bad, and everything in between.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
So we will probably know if Golden Sun is coming back in a week's time. Fun stuff.
I'm not gonna bank on next direct being the time. There's a chance but all I know is that it exists, if it got delayed then it might get shown later ( I would hope for it go be shown as soon as possible even regardless of possible delays of course). But yeah, I wouldn't go expecting it to be in this specific direct, but we are definitely getting closer to seeing it as soon as they are ready to show it. My NoA guy shut down Golf being in development at all back in late 2019 and recently Nate also said Golf never had a chance. Tennis was the last game and they never make 2 games for the same sport in a row, so it's definitely not that either (plus the team for Tennis is no more). So the math is really simple in the end of the day, unless they pull a weird curve ball with Shining force ( they won't, lol ).
This, plus the new trademark situation + Camelot having taken their longest to even just reveal their next game in their history of releases… yeah, it's coming, whenever it finally can. I would dare to say if it wasn't for the pandemic and games getting affected in development, it would have probably been shown at E3.

Last edited:

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
I'm not gonna bank on next direct being the time. There's a chance but all I know is that it exists, if it got delayed then it might get shown later ( I would hope for it go be shown as soon as possible even regardless of possible delays of course). But yeah, I wouldn't go expecting it to be in this specific direct, but we are definitely getting closer to seeing it as soon as they are ready to show it. My NoA guy shut down Golf being in development at all back in late 2019 and recently Nate also said Golf never had a chance. Tennis was the last game and they never make 2 games for the same sport in a row, so it's definitely not that either (plus the team for Tennis is no more). So the math is really simple in the end of the day, unless they pull a weird curve ball with Shining force ( they won't, lol ).
This, plus the new trademark situation + Camelot having taken their longest to even just reveal their next game in their history of releases… yeah, it's coming, whenever it finally can. I would dare to say if it wasn't for the pandemic and games getting affected in development, it would have probably been shown at E3.
I just can't imagine them delaying the announcement any further. The only possible thing that would cause that is if it's scheduled to release after summer 2021, which would make the game MASSIVE in scope, like Xenoblade Chronicles 2-sized. Even then, a tease or intro cinematic trailer+gameplay could very well be shown in this direct. Dark Dawn was shown over a year earlier, with defined gameplay, though admittedly that was a different marketing strategy than we've seen with Switch-era Nintendo.

I think it's much more likely it's shown off in a July Direct, that it's on the scale of Dark Dawn and Octopath Traveler, no/limited voice acting, isometric camera, probably remake of TBS and TLA, and it's dropping somewhere between October and December 2020.

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
As much as I hate to admit it, I suspect Camelot is working on a new Mario Strikers game, and not something Golden Sun related. If the rumors of a Mario-centric direct are true, we'll likely see some short clips of the game to announce it next week.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
As much as I hate to admit it, I suspect Camelot is working on a new Mario Strikers game, and not something Golden Sun related. If the rumors of a Mario-centric direct are true, we'll likely see some short clips of the game to announce it next week.
They are solely the golf and tennis guys when it comes to Mario sports. Mario Sports Superstars was a collaboration between Camelot and Namco, and guess which sports were the only ones Camelot did?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
This is a possibility to take into account, but Mario Strikers to me is too... Western in design for a sequel to be a Camelot joint. Seems like something they'd leave for the talented people at Next Level.

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
I’m not gonna say I expect it for this coming direct but when you put it into perspective...it’s hard to think it wouldn’t be in this direct, assuming Camelot is working on a new Golden Sun.

Correct me if I’m wrong but the only games we know for a fact Nintendo is working on are:
Metroid Prime 4 (which I highly doubt will come out soon since they had to restart production)
Breath of the Wild 2 (has there ever been a brand new non spinoff Zelda game that wasn’t delayed?)
Bayonetta 3
Pokémon Snap 2

I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t see anything from those games so the question is...what other first party games are they announcing for this year? This just feels like the best time to announce a new Golden Sun if it’s happening.

Kalaam

Smash Ace
You forgot Pikmin 3 also.
But yeah that's about it for 1st party games.
That's not a lot. Most of those are BIG, of course (I mean a mainline Zelda game and Metroid Prime by themselves) but still, that's not a lot of games.
Also no RPG, only Shooter, Adventure/OpenWorld (supposedly), Action, Pacifist Shooter.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Camelot is the Mario Tennis and Golf guys, Next Level Games are the devs behind the Mario Strikers games and they completed Luigi's Mansion 3 last year. If anyone was going to be making it it would be them. Also at this point a Mario centric direct feels far fetched since there already has been some tent pole Mario announcements made already like the Mario Maker 2 update, Paper Mario and Lego Mario

Kalaam

Smash Ace
Tbh that sounds more like a sudden "what if everything went wrong" than a suspicion based on any evidence. You're just scared of being disappointed and are trying to rationalize it, it's ok. You can be reasonably confident for Golden Sun and still have reserves

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I could see Pikmin 4 being the big announcement for the next direct. I know it's been supposedly on the way for what feels like an eternity now but even so I think it's the most likely franchise not already on the Switch to get announced next.

I could also see a teaser trailer for Bayonetta 3 too. Probably nothing on Metroid Prime 4.....though an update on Breath of the Wild 2 could happen I think.

The thing is, there aren't that many big Nintendo IPs that haven't appeared on the Switch at least once by now. So the question is will the emphasis be on double dipping with these IPs with more games or will they start looking towards smaller IPs. I feel like the possibility of new Kirby and Yoshi games being announced is always there though. Same goes for Fire Emblem, though I would expect the follow up to Three Houses to come closer to the end of the Switches life.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Big doubt there. If you look at the time difference between Super Mario Strikers and Mario Strikers Charged, even if Camelot for some reason did take up NLG's job on it, it still wouldn't take this long just to announce it.

The Mario Direct was rumored late last year, and at this point is very unlikely to happen. We got the LEGO Mario announcement, we got the Paper Mario reveal and the release is imminent, etc. Any remaining announcements will just be in a general direct.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Pretty much yeah I doubt there will be a focused Mario direct/presentation lol

ZelDan

Smash Master
Assuming some of the Mario rumors are true (HD remakes of 3D games, Mario kart 9, maybe other stuff I'm forgetting), i could see some or all of it being present. I'm guessing, or would like to think, there will be much more than just Mario though.

Last edited:

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
Assuming some of the Mario rumors are true (HD remakes of 3D games, Mario kart 9, maybe other stuff I'm forgetting), i could see some or all of it being present. I'm guessing, or would like to think, there will be much more than just Mario though.
I'm betting the 64/Sunshine/Galaxy remasters will be this year along with 3D World Deluxe, but MK9 and other games have probably been pushed back.

amageish

Smash Master
I’m not gonna say I expect it for this coming direct but when you put it into perspective...it’s hard to think it wouldn’t be in this direct, assuming Camelot is working on a new Golden Sun.

Correct me if I’m wrong but the only games we know for a fact Nintendo is working on are:
Metroid Prime 4 (which I highly doubt will come out soon since they had to restart production)
Breath of the Wild 2 (has there ever been a brand new non spinoff Zelda game that wasn’t delayed?)
Bayonetta 3
Pokémon Snap 2

I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t see anything from those games so the question is...what other first party games are they announcing for this year? This just feels like the best time to announce a new Golden Sun if it’s happening.
In Japan, Famicom Detective's remake is confirmed to be a 2020 release (with no exact date announced), but that has like a 0.001% chance of being released worldwide. Otherwise, yeah, Nintendo has a surprising lack of games in 2020... Here's hoping Golden Sun comes in to the fill the gaps.

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
They are solely the golf and tennis guys when it comes to Mario sports. Mario Sports Superstars was a collaboration between Camelot and Namco, and guess which sports were the only ones Camelot did?
Camelot is the Mario Tennis and Golf guys, Next Level Games are the devs behind the Mario Strikers games and they completed Luigi's Mansion 3 last year. If anyone was going to be making it it would be them. Also at this point a Mario centric direct feels far fetched since there already has been some tent pole Mario announcements made already like the Mario Maker 2 update, Paper Mario and Lego Mario
Ah, right. For some reason I was thinking Camelot was all three sports: tennis, golf, and football/soccer. I revise my prediction and think they're working on a Mario Golf Game for the switch.

I do hope I'm wrong, but despite the copyright updates I'm not sure they are actually working on a new Golden Sun or a remake.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Us: "Phew, with Mario Golf seemingly not happening and the Switch already getting a Mario Tennis and Camelot not doing any other sports stuff, we must be in the clear and FINALLY are going to have Golden Sun revived!

Nintendo during July 20th direct: "We are happy to annouce Camelot's new project......SUPER MARIO CROQUET!"

Us:

Last edited:
Top Bottom