• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
So I'm already back at Altin Mine in my second playthrough of Golden Sun. Even picked up a couple of Djiin I missed on my first playthrough.

I know I didn't really go too in depth on what I like about the game yet but I definitely think this game got a lot of mileage out of the GBA sound-wise. It sounds borderline SNES quality. Saturos' battle theme is great and it's a crime that has no remix in Smash lol.

The Djiin system is also really cool and I like how you can have them all set and ready to go ahead of time at the cost of your total hp and spell selection. My first playthrough had everyone but Ivan running hybrid classes so on this go I'm going full mono class for everyone.

Also does a summon do more damage if it's used by the characters who specializes in their element? I felt like it did but I never tested it out enough to be sure.

Last edited:

Kalaam

Smash Ace
Also does a summon do more damage if it's used by the characters who specializes in their element? I felt like it did but I never tested it out enough to be sure.
Yes they do, that's also why using several summons of the same element in a row with the same character increases their power (since each one gives a boost in elemental power, to 200 max).

ArkSPiTFirE

Smash Journeyman
It's mad that it's June already. I haven't really let the long delay bother me, since I kinda expected to have to wait this long. But now they'll be revealing the ARMS characer this month, i'm a bit anxious. I don't think we'll see anything Golden Sun related still, since if an HD Golden Sun is in development I can see it taking up to four years. Just thinking about all the little bounces and emotes the original sprites do that now have to be fully animated, it all takes time.

I'd love a teaser though. Give me a Metroid Prime 4 level png, I don't care. Imagine if we got Spring Man as the Arms fighter (even if its shared between costumes) and then we got the barest of teasers? Isaac could jump right to the top of speculation, or at least get people talking about him.

My gut still says Min Min though, she seems like a more whole character. I like Spring Man only because he's the face of the series, and because he's an assist trophy. If they put in Min Min and just explain she was a fan favourite in the Arms community, then that doesn't affect Isaac's chances at all; in fact it still helps a lot because Min Min is a spirit.

Last edited:

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
I'd like Twintelle or Min-Min, personally.

I honestly think Nintendo is holding off on all the stuff planned at the start of 2020 to be revealed at E3 due to COVID delays and the protests against racism and police brutality. I mean, that's not a hot take, it's fairly obvious, just thinking there's more out there, undoubtedly. Just waiting for the right time for it to see the light of day.

I came across this today. Nothing staggering, just more confirmation that in 2001 and 2005 the Takahashis had RPG's on the brain...

Last edited:

SirCamp

Smash Ace
It doesn't really mean anything but this got posted in the newcomer speculation thread. Might as well get some votes in for Isaac!

There's a guy attempting to make the biggest fan ballot for Ultimate. He's halfway to his goal and he just posted the midway results. If you haven't voted yet then I recommend you do.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
By saying we must specifiy which Isaac and not take Isaac from Golden Sun by default, it will hinder his ability to score high.

Look at this, we saw a lot of weird picks for a long time, but who the f is Professor K? (edit: ok, Jet Set Radio character)

Last edited:

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
Well, this week would've been when we were reacting to Nintendo's E3 presentation and the new ARMS character. Hopefully we get something soon, like the ARMS Sakurai presentation we presumably would've gotten around this time anyway.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Well, this week would've been when we were reacting to Nintendo's E3 presentation and the new ARMS character. Hopefully we get something soon, like the ARMS Sakurai presentation we presumably would've gotten around this time anyway.
Which would basically be Spring Man.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
I completely forgot about that broken bridge that gets fixed later on in my first playthrough. That's how you get back to the early game areas quickly. Anyway I'm not going to be able to save Hammet just yet until I get that invisibility orb thing from Babi I'm guessing.

Kisae

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darkkisae
Wow didn't noticed that Alex Kidd got a new game announcement

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Finally rescued Hammet this time. Pretty satisfying to finally do that lol.

Also had an even easier time with Colosso since I had more Djiins and a healing spell. Didn't even bother going for any of the chest pickups.

Last edited:

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
Also had an even easier time with Colosso since I had more Djiins and a healing spell. Didn't even bother going for any of the chest pickups.
Aww man, that is still by far one of the coolest things I think I've ever seen in an RPG. I think it's also the first moment that Golden Sun felt like something magical. It's such a change of pace that is integrated so well into the story that it always impresses the hell out of me that it even came to be. It feels like something that a good Dungeon Master would cook up for a tabletop game. It feels like something out of a well-written episode of The Last Airbender.

I always love it when games do stuff you don't expect or change up the status quo.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Do Sabi and Vergeben talk with each other? I saw over in the Waluigi thread that apparently Sabi said that Vergeben said that Arms character was Springman with character alts. Has everyone already heard this and I'm just late to the table?

I mean it seems a little dicey when we get into "he said she said" but it still sounds interesting.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Aww man, that is still by far one of the coolest things I think I've ever seen in an RPG. I think it's also the first moment that Golden Sun felt like something magical. It's such a change of pace that is integrated so well into the story that it always impresses the hell out of me that it even came to be. It feels like something that a good Dungeon Master would cook up for a tabletop game. It feels like something out of a well-written episode of The Last Airbender.

I always love it when games do stuff you don't expect or change up the status quo.
Well I got all the chests on my first playthrough and on that run I had half the health I have on this run and my Djiin selection left Issac with no healing spells lol. So really my only goal was just getting the better weapon/armor at the end lol

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Do Sabi and Vergeben talk with each other? I saw over in the Waluigi thread that apparently Sabi said that Vergeben said that Arms character was Springman with character alts. Has everyone already heard this and I'm just late to the table?

I mean it seems a little dicey when we get into "he said she said" but it still sounds interesting.
At some point they did talk but rn I think they've cut ties. Sabi's probably lied about Vergeben saying stuff more times than they've told the truth about it.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
That totally kills the "your dead series is too old to get a new game" argument at least.
It's amazing how much micromanaging goes on in regards to Smash. There's rules about every little thing cause the fandom likes to police who's appropriate for Smash. It's like the argument how Isaac MUST have a new game to get into Smash and if he needs Smash to accomplish that then no dice. We must manage to revive this series out of sheer will lol.

Then Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition came out and there was as article where the developers even comment how yeah Smash helped lol. They say people liked the character, it brought more awareness to the series, MORE fans, they've now added a casual mode to accommodate said new fans. It seems kind of obvious that was the case but the fandom likes to make you think otherwise as people are vying for their own specific fave to get in.

This is why a part of me favors Isaac being in Smash over just a new game. I feel like Smash could make Golden Sun 4 more of a possibility. Isaac could get a remaster without Smash, but I feel like that would be it, Nintendo throwing out a HD remaster of an old IP and that's that for the foreseeable future, it won't necessarily lead to another new game especially without the Smash popularity boost to bring in newer fans. And that popularity boost could make Nintendo see Golden Sun as a brand they want to continue like with Xenoblade.

While the dream is to have it all, I'm also totally prepared to take the remaster and go lol.

Last edited:

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
I don't understand why franchises like Bubsy get's brought back from the dead before franchises like Banjo-Kazooie or Golden Sun. I swear this industry is freaking bizarre at times.
I'm not sure about Banjo-Kazooie but the developers of Golden Sun left a message and put a halt to the series on their own, opting to continue if there was enough fan demand. Kind of like how the developer of F-Zero doesn't want to bring the series back without adding something innovative to the gameplay. Though not sure if something else besides that is working against it.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
It's amazing how much micromanaging goes on in regards to Smash. There's rules about every little thing cause the fandom likes to police who's appropriate for Smash. It's like the argument how Isaac MUST have a new game to get into Smash and if he needs Smash to accomplish that then no dice. We must manage to revive this series out of sheer will lol.
“Undeserving” characters have made it in and they’ll continue to do so.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I'm not sure about Banjo-Kazooie but the developers of Golden Sun left a message and put a halt to the series on their own, opting to continue if there was enough fan demand. Kind of like how the developer of F-Zero doesn't want to bring the series back without adding something innovative to the gameplay. Though not sure if something else besides that is working against it.
The irony is that the creator already met the things he wanted in order to make a new one, which just adds to what we know already about a game coming of some sort :p it's no coincidence haha.

This was literally 10 years before the switch, ironic how he gave them the switch concept idea… lol
20191023_082757.jpg

D

Deleted member

Glad to see the support for Isaac as strong as ever.

Keep it up glad too see the Golden boy on top as always.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Glad to see the support for Isaac as strong as ever.

Keep it up glad too see the Golden boy on top as always.
Yeah buddy! I refuse to give up on our Golden Boy. He WILL get in the roster one day. I can’t wait to see that happen. Also for Golden Sun to return. It would be glorious!

I bet the Smash Ball contains the Golden Sun’s Power for Isaac.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I just wanna say that even if I think Isaac isn't happening this go around.

I'll always support him and he's still one of my most wanted Nintendo newcomers.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
I beat Deadbeard. Never got to fight him on my first playthrough since I never got the time stop spell. I hated those stupid statues so much lol. Gonna be heading to the final boss again next.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Today on the optimism train, Nintendo is finally reviving Pokemon Snap more than twenty years later. Not to say it was a complete surprise (it's Pokemon after all), but it's good to see Nintendo isn't afraid to revive old games if the fan demand is there.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I dunno if it's even considered a remake or a new game, or a bit of both, seems like an expanded remake but that it's basically just a new game almost, lol. Either way, Jeff grubb, emily and other insiders continue to be right on Nintendo focusing to bring HD ports and old games and what not in 2020

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I wonder if Isaac would use a hybrid design in the hypothetical scenario where he is DLC.:ultkrool::ultridley: are examples of characters whose designs differed between Ultimate and their non-playable roles in the previous Smash game.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I wonder if Isaac would use a hybrid design in the hypothetical scenario where he is DLC.:ultkrool::ultridley: are examples of characters whose designs differed between Ultimate and their non-playable roles in the previous Smash game.
I was thinking half of Isaac's alts could maybe have him in his adult version's clothing.

Or just outright have Adult Isaac as half of his alts I guess. I'd prefer what I brought up above though tbh.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
I wouldn't mind a Smash-unique design like Roy has. That one fake leak with him in both the scarf and trench coat looked pretty good to me. If they were to only pick one though, I'd much rather have the more recognizable young Isaac design. (How much do you want to bet people would still get him and Matthew confused?)

ZelDan

Smash Master
I wouldn't mind a Smash-unique design like Roy has. That one fake leak with him in both the scarf and trench coat looked pretty good to me. If they were to only pick one though, I'd much rather have the more recognizable young Isaac design. (How much do you want to bet people would still get him and Matthew confused?)
Forgot about the whole Isaac/Matthew confusion.

I'm more curious to see how many people will STILL be unable to spell Isaac's name right despite having it stare right back at them on the Character select screen.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Forgot about the whole Isaac/Matthew confusion.

I'm more curious to see how many people will STILL be unable to spell Isaac's name right despite having it stare right back at them on the Character select screen.
I've seen lots of people spelling Isaac 'Issac'.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I've seen lots of people spelling Isaac 'Issac'.
yeah exactly.

Like, even if someone's not a Golden Sun fan, haven't they ever heard of or seen The binding of Isaac? Or played Dead Space> Or heard of Isaac newton? Or heard about Isaac from the bible?

SPEN18

Smash Champion
probably a lot of the instances of "Issac" are just typos (or at least one would like to think)

SirCamp

Smash Ace
I know I've typed Issac before on accident, despite definitely knowing the correct spelling.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Reminder, people in other countries might misspell his name since Isaac is called Isaac in the English versions only. In Japan and Korea his name is Robin.

Last edited:
Top Bottom