• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Relevancy arguments should have died when K. Rool or Banjo and Kazooie were added, at the absolute latest.

Silo777

Smash Journeyman
Relevancy arguments should have died when K. Rool or Banjo and Kazooie were added, at the absolute latest.
The community will continue to move the goalpost arbitrarily no matter what. Even with BK and K Rool in, people now say that it doesn’t affect third parties or characters from existing franchises in Smash. Relevancy is not a criteria that must be checked, at most it’s an influencing factor.

At the end of the day Nintendo will do what they want. I doubt they’ll let silly stuff like this affect who they want in the game. That goes for any fan rule out there.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Naysayers barely have anything to go for these days, they either deny the current reality and come back to old bs that makes no sense anymore these days, or they make up something new and even more ridiculous, lol. Can't wait to see an upgrade be their doomsday haha.

On another hand… I made a mock-up thing for a Golden Sun Collector edition for the Nintendo Switch! Hope you all like and get even more hyped for the future :)
You can also find it posted also on my twitter and at r/goldensun

Edit: I don't own any of the elements in it, I just did the editing of the whole thing together lol.

Mock Up.png

Last edited:

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
Naysayers barely have anything to go for these days, they either deny the current reality and come back to old bs that makes no sense anymore these days, or they make up something new and even more ridiculous, lol. Can't wait to see an upgrade be their doomsday haha.

On another hand… I made a mock-up thing for a Golden Sun Collector edition for the Nintendo Switch! Hope you all like and get even more hyped for the future :)
View attachment 268688
Oh my god that soundtrack alone would be enough for me to pre-order this the instant it went up.

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman

View attachment 268688
Europe is where GS was big sp they would keep this Set to themselves just like with Xenoblade DE.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

View attachment 268688
Dang that looks super legit. You could pretend this is a leak and I'd believe you.

Really liking the styling of the I & II, dunno why that specifically.

Silo777

Smash Journeyman

View attachment 268688
That looks...amazing! I especially love what you did with combining the two logos, it’s so simple yet sends the message that this is both games combined easily.

Last edited:

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink

View attachment 268688
This would be the dream! I would love to actually get official GS merch one day.

Just some fun snapshots here. Nothing too special.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Dang that looks super legit. You could pretend this is a leak and I'd believe you.

Really liking the styling of the I & II, dunno why that specifically.
That looks...amazing! I especially love what you did with combining the two logos, it’s so simple yet sends the message that this is both games combined easily.
Oh I definitely don't take credit for the logo idea, I found this on google images ( I tried looking for the actual original source but couldn't find it honestly) and I thought it was a great idea for a box cover so I used it for the mock-up lol
wcdqu8lmhzn31.jpg

The only thing. I could possibly take credit for is the editing of the whole mock up but I really don't own any of the elements in it.

Last edited:

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
Playing the new indie game One Step from Eden and I died on the final boss just one step from Eden very tragic, but I also tweeted the developer to confirm this, but it's pretty damn obvious. He has some references to stuff, Smash included (wobbling, lol) but he also had one reference which I haven't seen anyone bring up yet. I think you may be familiar.

utFHmS.gif

And ya the game is a Mega Man Battle Network roguelike for $20 on the Switch big worth 100%.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Playing the new indie game One Step from Eden and I died on the final boss just one step from Eden very tragic, but I also tweeted the developer to confirm this, but it's pretty damn obvious. He has some references to stuff, Smash included (wobbling, lol) but he also had one reference which I haven't seen anyone bring up yet. I think you may be familiar.

View attachment 268708

And ya the game is a Mega Man Battle Network roguelike for $20 on the Switch big worth 100%.
Yep that's for sure a Golden Sun reference, I don't remember any other game having a red sword of light exploding when it makes contact with the enemy called Ragnarok haha

Last edited:

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Ok, someone on Youtube commented Sakurai said ATs deconfirm as DLC. As proof, they brought up this:
Screenshot_20200409-140329_Chrome.jpg

This was the Smash Dojo back in Brawl.
Also, they said there was a Miiverse post saying ATs deconfirm. I'm gonna go through the pages in Smashwiki, but can someone else also check? If you find it, please provide me the link or image. Ignoring it won't do.

Smash Lord
Ok, someone on Youtube commented Sakurai said ATs deconfirm as DLC. As proof, they brought up this:View attachment 268721
Also, they said there was a Miiverse post saying ATs deconfirm. I'm gonna go through the pages in Smashwiki, but can someone else also check? If you find it, please provide me the link or image. Ignoring it won't do.
That post was made at the time of Brawl when DLC wasn't in the cards so it doesn't really apply to our current scenario now.

Smash Lord
Alright, thanks. What about the Miiverse?
Same kind of case, he became an assist trophy and wasn't a playable character in the game. These examples don't all of a sudden make it impossible for them to reconsider some slots for Ultimate Fighter's Pass Volume 2 especially when we are further down the DLC pipeline. While it is less likely than characters who aren't assist trophies it wasn't completely denied like some people try to frame it as

Silo777

Smash Journeyman
Ok, someone on Youtube commented Sakurai said ATs deconfirm as DLC. As proof, they brought up this:View attachment 268721
Yeah, that’s like pulling up a tweet from over 10 years ago and trying to apply it to a current situation. Things change with time, and Smash is no different especially now that it has two separate waves of DLC. ATs almost definitely deconfirm for base which is what Sakurai is talking about here, but with DLC decided after the game has been released it’s a completely different situation. Brawl released in 2008, and DLC in general was only barely a thing at that point, much less for Nintendo who hasn’t even really truly grasped the concept until the recent years. So yeah, at the time I’m sure he knew that there was no way Waluigi could join in Brawl later on.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I imagine the computers that the workers use at home won't be as safe as the ones in the buildings. Someone skilled enough might steal the files the devs send each other.
I could actually see some hackers hacking into their computers to steal the files and leak them on the Internet for fame. But than the Nintenjas would be on their *** like how they were with the *************leaker on leaking Smash 4's full base roster in the ESRB leak. I honestly hope nothing get's leaked though.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Alright, thanks. What about the Miiverse?
E8C95CF6-21A4-4401-8895-45502D44593A.jpeg

This is the Miiverse post they’re referring to. Though, personally, I think Sakurai was just poking fun here at the time. But like everyone said here, it doesn’t really matter anymore. Remember also that Sakurai said during Smash 4 that he could not get Ridley to work as a fighter and kept him as a boss. That obviously changed in Ultimate. Same can happen for AT/Spirit/Etc. Promotions via DLC.

Also to add, Smash 4 DLC was, more or less, a test/prototype on how they would do DLC for future installments (Ultimate). So, things are much different (and better) than last time.

Plus, if they did focus on promoting characters, their budget wouldn’t be hindered much. Easy money really.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
The community will continue to move the goalpost arbitrarily no matter what. Even with BK and K Rool in, people now say that it doesn’t affect third parties or characters from existing franchises in Smash. Relevancy is not a criteria that must be checked, at most it’s an influencing factor.

At the end of the day Nintendo will do what they want. I doubt they’ll let silly stuff like this affect who they want in the game. That goes for any fan rule out there.
I do think an Arms rep being the first fighter for this pass makes it pretty clear that the Smash community doesn't know what it's talking about when it comes to predictions or what is likely to happen. The only time we seem to get predictions right these days is if they were already leaked beforehand. People seem to think we predicted Hero, but that only happened because there were leaks about Erdrick putting the idea into our heads in the first place. Without leaks (accidental or otherwise) we'd be getting blindsided left and right.

Smash speculators are basically like a headless chicken.....if the headless chicken also had five legs and was drunk and on drugs.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Trolls: Said character can't be added due to them being unrelevant.

Sakurai adds Simon, Richter, Dark Samus, K. Rool, Banjo & Kazooie, and Terry to Ultimate's roster and the trolls still say it.

Trolls: Only important 1st party and 3rd party protagonist characters plus co-protagonist and antagonist 1st party characters can get into the roster.

Sakurai adds Piranha Plant a average Mario enemy and they still repeat themselves.

When will the fools give up on themselves pretending to be right when they're dead wrong. Delusional they're until the end.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Trolls: Said character can't be added due to them being unrelevant.

Sakurai adds Simon, Richter, Dark Samus, K. Rool, Banjo & Kazooie, and Terry to Ultimate's roster and the trolls still say it.

Trolls: Only important 1st party and 3rd party protagonist characters plus co-protagonist and antagonist 1st party characters can get into the roster.

Sakurai adds Piranha Plant a average Mario enemy and they still repeat themselves.

When will the fools give up on themselves pretending to be right when they're dead wrong. Delusional they're until the end.
Once we get an upgrade they will start ripping off their heads' hair, lol. Can't wait to see what other stupid thing they are gonna come up with then :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Once we get an upgrade they will start ripping off their heads' hair, lol. Can't wait to see what other stupid thing they are come up with then :rolleyes:
Let me think of something: Only immensely popular ATs get promoted.
Then Sakurai breaks it by adding the Sable Prince.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Once we get an upgrade they will start ripping off their heads' hair, lol. Can't wait to see what other stupid thing they are gonna come up with then :rolleyes:
There are already people who think Spring Man will just be a special case.

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525

Edit: I don't own any of the elements in it, I just did the editing of the whole thing together lol.

View attachment 268688
This easily made my day a thousand times better. Almost brought me to tears with the idea of a soundtrack CD

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
This easily made my day a thousand times better. Almost brought me to tears with the idea of a soundtrack CD
Imagine the album having both the original AND remastered versions of the songs. That would be amazing!

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
They where always relevant...

In our hearts.

In all seriousness, I can see the reaction to Banjo and Kazooie in particular being a major component of how they selected FP2 characters. If nostalgia sold, that's a really strong argument for characters like Isaac. If Joker in particular had better sales and/or social media presence (Byleth being revealed/released after presumptive character selection), then maybe they index more towards newer games/characters. Hard to say for sure without knowing their sales predictions/results and market research, but I like to believe that B&K did quite well for themselves.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
In all seriousness, I can see the reaction to Banjo and Kazooie in particular being a major component of how they selected FP2 characters. If nostalgia sold, that's a really strong argument for characters like Isaac. If Joker in particular had better sales and/or social media presence (Byleth being revealed/released after presumptive character selection), then maybe they index more towards newer games/characters. Hard to say for sure without knowing their sales predictions/results and market research, but I like to believe that B&K did quite well for themselves.
And what about Hero, who has both nostalgia and recency appeal?

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
And what about Hero, who has both nostalgia and recency appeal?
In terms of relevancy, the only potentially useful data is if they track specific outfit usage, and even that is a stretch in terms of actually being meaningful data. As you say, they have both notalgia and recency appeal, so you can't assume that his success or lack thereof is meaningful on that axis. If anything, Hero's only potentially useful data point is whether international customers are interested in Japan-focused characters, in which case they may well look at B&K's response in Japan for the opposite view. It's all speculation of course, but those feel like the kind of things they might look at when trying to decide what characters are worth developing for FP2.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
To be honest, that's not an unfair idea. We really don't know what's happening. I'd just call that closer to keeping expectations in check.

But I'm glad if it does since it massively opens up speculation with far less naysayers in general, so it's worth it for that alone.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am sure they did. I also think the whole Kremling Kampaign did a lot for fans for Rare rallying together as well. Anyways I totally agree that it's good for Isaac's chances.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
To be honest, that's not an unfair idea. We really don't know what's happening. I'd just call that closer to keeping expectations in check.
It could be that....or it could just be coming from people who's most wanted fighters wouldn't benefit from there being a conga line of assist trophy promotions showing up for this fighter pass.

I don't know how we're supposed to keep expectations in check when we don't really know what to expect to begin with. Which check should we be keeping in check with?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It could be that....or it could just be coming from people who's most wanted fighters wouldn't benefit from there being a conga line of assist trophy promotions showing up for this fighter pass.

I don't know how we're supposed to keep expectations in check when we don't really know what to expect to begin with. Which check should we be keeping in check with?
Simple. Even if one does get a promotion, it doesn't mean we're going to get tons of them either. There's only 6 characters. Though I think some declaring it hard impossible that Spring Man could even get a promotion are being a bit silly. It's clearly not, as they advertised him as possible. But I understand not finding it that likely too. Some believe the current roles has a lot of merit to it, and that's a fair opinion.

"Anything can happen" isn't the entire takeaway so much for them as "this is cool, maybe things aren't as bleak as we thought and our character might still make it this game~". I guess it's more people have a bit of pessimism, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It makes it all the sweeter if your awesome want gets in. And if they don't, at least you already were prepared for the unfortunate outcome.

I admit it's kind of hard to explain. The problem is "keep expectations in check" feels a lot more subjective than it should be. Especially when it just means "it's not always going to work out for you so be prepared", more or less.

Kalaam

Smash Ace
I don't really see why there wouldn't be more than 1 promotion either.
You could have used the same argument about 3rd parties too. "There is only 5 spots, don't expect more than 1 third party, they have to keep space for nintendo characters"

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Simple. Even if one does get a promotion, it doesn't mean we're going to get tons of them either. There's only 6 characters. Though I think some declaring it hard impossible that Spring Man could even get a promotion are being a bit silly. It's clearly not, as they advertised him as possible. But I understand not finding it that likely too. Some believe the current roles has a lot of merit to it, and that's a fair opinion.

"Anything can happen" isn't the entire takeaway so much for them as "this is cool, maybe things aren't as bleak as we thought and our character might still make it this game~". I guess it's more people have a bit of pessimism, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It makes it all the sweeter if your awesome want gets in. And if they don't, at least you already were prepared for the unfortunate outcome.

I admit it's kind of hard to explain. The problem is "keep expectations in check" feels a lot more subjective than it should be. Especially when it just means "it's not always going to work out for you so be prepared", more or less.
I feel like "we got one assist trophy promotion, we could get more" is a more reasonable assumption than "we just got an assist trophy promotion, which is probably the only one" though. Basically one is saying "this happened it could happen again" and the other is saying "This happened so it won't happen again". The former just seems more logical to me.

Of course since it's Smash Bros nothing is guaranteed to turn out the way you expect.

I think my speculation style these days is kinda chaotic neutral. The only thing I expect is to look like a fool if I decide to expect anything.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I feel like "we got one assist trophy promotion, we could get more" is a more reasonable assumption than "we just got an assist trophy promotion, which is probably the only one" though. Basically one is saying "this happened it could happen again" and the other is saying "This happened so it won't happen again". The former just seems more logical to me.

Of course since it's Smash Bros nothing is guaranteed to turn out the way you expect.

I think my speculation style these days is kinda chaotic neutral. The only thing I expect is to look like a fool if I decide to expect anything.
I didn't say we couldn't get anyone one. I said the idea we'd get a "ton" of them is treated as unlikely. We have six slots left. Something like 2-3 seems far more plausible than 4-6 overall.

That's what I mean.

I think at least 2 at this point feels very likely.

But as I noted, some are more pessimistic than others. I wouldn't say either are more logical approaches anyway. They both are very reasonable as it's just optimism VS pessimism at this point.

Top Bottom