• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink

Cadillac

Smash Seeker

Re:Mind finally got released on the Xbox One this week and it’s great. Though, I have to ask. If Isaac had a keyblade, what would it look like? Would it have a Golden Sun keychain? Would there be the 4 elements around it?
Maybe a four leaf clover keychain with each leaf based on the elements?

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
I watched the Alpharad Plus episode on the GBA's Mario Golf game and I was actually surprised at how Golden Sun-like it was. The spritework, dialogue sounds, and even the dialogue itself felt so familiar, even though I've never played a Mario Golf game, much less the GBA one. I think this goes to show just how distinct Camelot's style RPG is. It's such a shame we don't get to really experience it anymore.
They are on the same engine after all.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion

Re:Mind finally got released on the Xbox One this week and it’s great. Though, I have to ask. If Isaac had a keyblade, what would it look like? Would it have a Golden Sun keychain? Would there be the 4 elements around it?
If it's Isaac personal keyblade then earth element, and yeah I could see a golden sun keychain, or an earth djinn at least.

By the way guys, off topic but something interesting, Sakurai came out to clarify what the stage was in his last tweeted picture. This is just to show you all how much he or his team are paying attention to what fans say and think around his tweets or in the community in general. If this wasn't proof enough of their attention to us, I don't know what else would be, lol.

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman

How about a keychain of the big hand used for Psynergy like Move?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Would it have a Golden Sun keychain?
I say have a Flint one.

On a side note, I'd like to know what the hardest screenshot of yours to make was, dealing with the limited animations and behavior of the Isaac AT.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
At this point, Isaac’s chances rely entirely on whether a Golden Sun is being made. It’s his trump card, the thing that separates him from others. His “get out of assist trophy hell free” card, if you will. I stand by my opinion that we’re either gonna get nothing or everything. I can’t see Isaac happening without Golden Sun and I can’t see them not making the leap on Isaac if Golden Sun happens.

On the note of speed, I think Isaac might be weird and have relatively fast running speed but slow attacks. It’s odd because it’s not that Isaac is slow, it’s that his form of attacking is slow. Earth magic is almost never associated with speed, after all.
I agree with you on those things. Mostly all of it. Yeah Isaac won't happen without a new Golden Sun, but, I could see a new (or remake of) Golden Sun happening without Isaac in Smash perse. It's still a popular franchise after all, and Smash DID acknowledge it greatly this time.

I don't think Isaac will be as fast as most of the Fire Emblem crew, but probably a little faster than say, Ike and Hero. I think he'll be most similar in stats to Link honestly.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
I agree with you on those things. Mostly all of it. Yeah Isaac won't happen without a new Golden Sun, but, I could see a new (or remake of) Golden Sun happening without Isaac in Smash perse. It's still a popular franchise after all, and Smash DID acknowledge it greatly this time.

I don't think Isaac will be as fast as most of the Fire Emblem crew, but probably a little faster than say, Ike and Hero. I think he'll be most similar in stats to Link honestly.
Hero is pretty fast on ground(30th) but stale on the air. Link's run speed is on the lower rank(67th) so I think Isaac would be faster than Link. Maybe right below Hero, which makes him slightly quicker than Pit.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
At PAX East this weekend and happy to have a Golden Sun pin on my bag this year. Fingers crossed this will be our year!

Last edited:

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
I say have a Flint one.

On a side note, I'd like to know what the hardest screenshot of yours to make was, dealing with the limited animations and behavior of the Isaac AT.
Oh man, that’s a hard one. Most of my snapshots of AT Isaac have been difficult but very satisfying when I pull them off. Probably the harder ones are when I have to control multiple characters at once to get the right shot.
Though, if I have to choose one, it would have to be my Jojo meme shot with Simon. That took me HOURS to get it down. I posted it on Golden Sun ****posts Twitter as I felt that’s where it belongs. Still very proud of that one! I’d link it here, but can’t for reasons.

ArkSPiTFirE

Smash Journeyman
I'm no good at determining the finer details like size and weight, but in terms of playstyle I can picture Isaac as a fairly grounded character, pun intended. In that his jump distance won't be that high, kinda like Byleth. I don't think he'll be as slow as Byleth overall though, even if his spells take some time to come out, he could have some faster and comboing normals to make up for it. His aerials would probably be a bit rubbish, it's not like he has any in his game to pull from except for maybe Planet Diver. Saying that, even with a poor jump distance I think he could still recover well if he can Grip to the edge.

I like the idea of some of his ground spells coming from the stage, even if he's in the air, kinda like with Gaia in SSF2. The one I can think of that might not is Spire, and of course his recovery. I used to think he would just have a simple teleport, but there's a few others I've considered.

- Retreat (The basic teleport, it's what his Assist Trophy can do, so it makes sense. Basically a Palutena recovery)
- Growth (A vine tether recovery. Basically Ivysaur. I think we've got plenty of those now though)
- Scoop (Like the SSF2 version, a psynergy hand throws him up)
- Venus (The effect a single Venus summon makes reminds me of Robin's Elwind. It could propel him up while damaging below)
- Planet Diver (Instead of an aerial it could be and up/down recover like Climhazard and Aether. You'd shoot up then bring someone back down with a meteor effect)

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
I'm no good at determining the finer details like size and weight, but in terms of playstyle I can picture Isaac as a fairly grounded character, pun intended. In that his jump distance won't be that high, kinda like Byleth. I don't think he'll be as slow as Byleth overall though, even if his spells take some time to come out, he could have some faster and comboing normals to make up for it. His aerials would probably be a bit rubbish, it's not like he has any in his game to pull from except for maybe Planet Diver. Saying that, even with a poor jump distance I think he could still recover well if he can Grip to the edge.

I like the idea of some of his ground spells coming from the stage, even if he's in the air, kinda like with Gaia in SSF2. The one I can think of that might not is Spire, and of course his recovery. I used to think he would just have a simple teleport, but there's a few others I've considered.

- Retreat (The basic teleport, it's what his Assist Trophy can do, so it makes sense. Basically a Palutena recovery)
- Growth (A vine tether recovery. Basically Ivysaur. I think we've got plenty of those now though)
- Scoop (Like the SSF2 version, a psynergy hand throws him up)
- Venus (The effect a single Venus summon makes reminds me of Robin's Elwind. It could propel him up while damaging below)
- Planet Diver (Instead of an aerial it could be and up/down recover like Climhazard and Aether. You'd shoot up then bring someone back down with a meteor effect)
Or he can use Teleport, which is a teleport recovery.

Kalaam

Smash Ace
I'd see Spire as the recovery, working similarly to Robin's. Conjuring a stone that he uses as a step to jump further, maybe using two of those and launching them straigth down.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
I don't like Isaac using swords in movesets, but I really like the SSF2 USmash animation.
It looks powerful and awesome.

Kalaam

Smash Ace
I think removing the sword from his moveset is doing a disservice to the character and the serie.
Isaac is not Toph, and he isn't a pure mage either. He has a sword and uses it. It would be dumb to try to hide it just to evade "criticism" from a bunch of trolls who can't tell that there is as many different designs and ways to use a sword that there is of using your fists.
And we have a bunch of brawlers in that game.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I think removing the sword from his moveset is doing a disservice to the character and the serie.
Isaac is not Toph, and he isn't a pure mage either. He has a sword and uses it. It would be dumb to try to hide it just to evade "criticism" from a bunch of trolls who can't tell that there is as many different designs and ways to use a sword that there is of using your fists.
Byleth's trailer was meant to show off that they're not just a swordsman. Doesn't stop Marth clone accusations. So yeah, don't be afraid of a little sword action in Isaac's moveset.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
Hey Isaac bros! Been a long time, but I'm still hoping deep down that he makes the upgrade from Assist Trophy to full fledged Earth Psynergy Warrior!

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Yeah, I think using sword is necessary. But instead of constantly holding his sword, make him a 'unsheath and slash' type of fighter, like how Shulk has his sword on his back when idle. And like I said above, I hope his up smash animation is similar to his SSF2 animation.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Yeah isaac using the sword for jabs at least is good enough, then you can glorify his moveset with psynergy stuff overall. There's no need to get rid of the sword entirely by any means.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Oh hey, the Camelot Bros are being rated in the Rate Their Chances thread.

It's a bunch of "0% promoting an AT would cause Nintendo to erase itself from history" isn't it?

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Let me guess, Rate their Chances thread is probably saying the same old thing about Isaac being irrelevant and assist trophies being a waste of resources to promote. Were just going to get the same song and dance between supporters and deniers until a new game is announced anyway. They'll be blown away all the more if he actually comes

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Let me guess, Rate their Chances thread is probably saying the same old thing about Isaac being irrelevant and assist trophies being a waste of resources to promote. Were just going to get the same song and dance between supporters and deniers until a new game is announced anyway. They'll be blown away all the more if he actually comes
Minus the irrelevant one, there was someone saying AT promotion is just a waste of money.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
DLC characters are literally being paid for. Bruh that makes absolute no sense
Don't you know that not spending money licensing a third-party is a waste of money? I have contacted all 17+ million people who've bought Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and 99% say they will boycott any first-party character.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Ok, who do y'all think is more likely, Waluigi or Isaac?

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
With some type of GS coming eventually, Isaac is more likely. He also happens to be the game character of his franchise, while Waluigi isn't. Not saying we are tied to just main characters, but so far, that's what we are getting, the faces of the franchises. Also there is no sign of anything Golf coming, unlike GS with its new trademark. That's not to say both can't happen tho… lol

Last edited:

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Hmmm... Honestly, both have a good shot. More so Isaac because of what he can bring to Smash, can be used to promote a new GS game, and more. Then again, that might be my bias talking. lol

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Screenshot_20200301-165557_DraStic.jpg

Just beat DD.
Also I showed Matthew and Sveta on the Sanctum to my brother, and he said "How are they not dating?"

Kalaam

Smash Ace
Who knows, maybe in GS4 you'll be able to get an ending where Matthew marries her and become king. Or she leaves the kingdom, make it a republic, and goes away with him.

I think Isaac is more likely because he'd be a shill pick. Other that that I think Waluigi also has his chances, whichever comes would be nice since it'd bolster the hype for the other one.

ArkSPiTFirE

Smash Journeyman
Also I posted in the Rate their chances thread. It's funny how some raised the same points I made (regarding AT disappointment, potential new game) but then say that it wouldn't make a difference regardless, but also brush over the lack of stage and spirit board potential for Waluigi.

Goes to show how hard it is to influence opinions on here.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Well, they aren't going for the most mainstream things, but that can be attributed to lower costs, something that's inevitable with any first-party. Waluigi's main issue rather than whether or not he's cheaper to license will instead be filling up an entire challenger pack.

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
Hey guys, could someone just once again explain the deal with the copyright/trademark that means new content has to be coming to Golden Sun? I want to include it in a video, but I don't know how to explain it myself and I can't remember how far back that discussion was on the thread so I'd appreciate the help ^^

Last edited:

Kalaam

Smash Ace
Hey guys, could someone just once again explain the deal with the copyright/trademark that means new content has to be coming to Golden Sun? I want to include it in a video, but I don't know how to explain it myself and I can't remember how far back that discussion was on the thread so I'd appreciate the help ^^
*crackes fingers*

Alright boyo, buckle up.

Basically, as proved by the Dark Dawn renewal that happened a month ago, the trademark issued last november is a new one unrelated to any of the other three games.
As you can see on that website ( https://www.j-platpat.inpit.go.jp/ ) there is 5 Golden Sun trademarks by Nintendo.
We are likely in a situation similar to the 2009 trademark, which was deposited before Dark Dawn announcement (under the title "Golden Sun").

A trademark with only the title of the serie, but with updated categories. 2009 had the 9, 16, 28, 38, 41 and 42 categories while the first trademark (for the GBA games) had only 9 and 28.
And sure enough, the year after that, once Dark Dawn was officialized and given its name: updated trademark with the same categories and the full name. (btw the Dark Dawn trademark that got renewed has only the category 9 left now).

The 2019 trademark has taken about a year to be issued fully, with a few months waiting in "open for opposition" (meaning that if Nintendo didn't show a proof of use for this trademark, anyone could dispute it, ANYTHING can be enough, even a few concept arts.). It has the 09 category, the same as every Single Player Switch games.

Since Camelot hasn't showed any sign of activity for a bit over 2 years now, same with the Nintendo support team (which I forgot the name) of that worked with them for all of their project, it is relatively safe to assume that they are working on a rather big project. The longer we wait, the more likely it is to be a golden sun game since, as Takahashi said himself "making rpgs takes a lot of time".

Fun note: Since it seems that Dark Dawn only got the 09 category, it *could* mean we could get a port at some point. It is likely a normal update of the trademark, since this year would have been the last year for Dark Dawn's trademark. But they now have the possibility of doing it. Which would be a fun bonus on top of a GS remake, a simpler HD remaster with upscaled textures for DD. (and if we get crazy, maybe an added "password" in it to transfer bonuses in GS 4 when it comes out)

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
Kalaam made a brilliant summary of the whole thing, but I have a few things to add on:
1. The trademark is in English but was filed for in Japan, instead of the Japanese name「黄金の太陽」(Ōgon no Taiyou, literally translates to "Golden Sun"), but the point is it's a brand new trademark, not a renewal.
2. Camelot's last released game was Mario Tennis Aces, which released in Summer 2018, but has received small updates for about a year, with new characters being added over time. However, that doesn't require the whole team, only a few developers, so the main Camelot team has been quiet for about a year and a half.
2a. Camelot is helped by Nintendo EPD2, iirc.
3. Not only has Takahashi said that he wants to make RPGs, but he's also said that his part as director of Aces ended in December 2017, leaving him and his brother over two years to plan a new game, with them probably making the pitch to Nintendo in early 2018, as development of Aces ended, leading to the trademark being filed in August 2018.

Top Bottom