• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Speaking of the Ballot, while we now know that Sora was the overall winner, has Nintendo seen fit to release the full polling results as well? Because I am incredibly interested in seeing what sort of data that poll yielded, not just in regards to Isaac, but other characters as well.
Honestly, given the Smash fanbase, I can't help but think that mystery is best left unanswered...

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Speaking of the Ballot, while we now know that Sora was the overall winner, has Nintendo seen fit to release the full polling results as well? Because I am incredibly interested in seeing what sort of data that poll yielded, not just in regards to Isaac, but other characters as well.
I'd be fascinated to see the results as well, but for the same reason they didn't disclose Sora up until now, they're not going to disclose the rest. The Smash fanbase rightfully can't be trusted to not go insane with the information and start bothering the devs of the characters like it's up to them.

Look at the fact that the Brawl poll was sixteen years ago and those results were never released, nor will they ever be. Same kind of deal here, sadly.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Haven’t been active on this thread in a loooong time. After Isaac’s assist reveal for the base game I kind of accepted his role in Ultimate. He was still my #1 most wanted fighter, but I was mostly content with his existence as an assist and Mii costume. Would have loved to have seen him as DLC, but it was pretty clear that the promotional 1st party/major 3rd party direction of the DLC didn’t bode well for Isaac.

That said, the announcement of Sora definitely rekindled some of my optimism for Isaac’s chances. A lot of people were worried that Ultimate was gonna end on a dud (Cinderace, Euden, etc.), but having it end with the absolute most requested ballot character says a lot. The additions of characters like Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo, and even the addition of Isaac’s assist already proved that Sakurai was reacting to the fans requests. But Sora really drove that point home.

I don’t know when the next Smash game will be, or what kind of game it will be, but I do feel confident that we will continue to see big fan requests. The response to Sora, and characters like K. Rool before him have been absolutely insane. And Isaac has been topping fan polls for over a decade now, and continues to be a very loud request among fans. If a new GS game comes out at any point between now and the next Smash game (which seems pretty possible given that Nintendo decided to take a chance on Advance Wars + the fact Camelot’s usual projects are out of the way), I’m confident that we’ll be seeing Isaac as a playable fighter. And even if we don’t see a new GS game, I still feel that he’s on the table - K. Rool and Banjo show that it’s definitely possible.

Sorry if this feels like a weird time to be optimistic, but I’m just so happy with the direction Sakurai decided to take Ultimate. I hope that Nintendo sees that this is what Smash is all about.

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
I doubt they'd ever release the results, as much as I'd want to see it. In any case, I feel like it is too early anyways. There's still plenty of big name characters that haven't gotten in yet and releasing the results now would be too soon, in my opinion.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
I didn't watch the whole presentation, but I have a question. Sora was presented as the absolute ballot winner? Didn't they say the same about Bayonetta back then?...

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
We at least do have a general idea with who was the most popular on the ballot. There were various polls taken in the ballot period and while I do believe the general positions of the characters isn't accurate. we can gauge which candidates were the most discussed at least. Sora was one of the most frequent third party characters that shown on those polls and we can see that reflected with what was officially revealed. Characters like Isaac, Shovel Knight and Bomberman who were common poll toppers for example received solid consolidation prizes in Ultimate which I believe is intended as a nod that we were heard but couldn't quite make the cut.

Isaac especially probably got the biggest nods out of all the potential candidates, he not only returned as an assist trophy but his moveset and movement capability was expanded, the first and currently only of it's kind (besides Shadow's chaos control having that one extra freeze ability) and he was the only cut Brawl assist trophy besides Gray Fox to make his return. There's also Golden Sun having eight spirits, only coming after Rhythm Heaven having the most spirits out of every non playable franchise alongside being the only one that has every class of spirits being accounted for. There's no doubt all this came from Isaac's strong presence in the ballot. Also the Mii costume is a pretty notable piece of representation. It easily puts him in a strong position for the next game to some degree which would be only further rocket-boosted by a new Golden Sun game with successful sales.

I didn't watch the whole presentation, but I have a question. Sora was presented as the absolute ballot winner? Didn't they say the same about Bayonetta back then?...
They said Bayonetta was first amongst "realisable" character so pretty much whatever characters they were able to feasibly get the license to at that time so you can put a character owned by Disney as a character that wasn't realisable at that point in time

Lenidem

Smash Lord
We at least do have a general idea with who was the most popular on the ballot. There were various polls taken in the ballot period and while I do believe the general positions of the characters isn't accurate. we can gauge which candidates were the most discussed at least. Sora was one of the most frequent third party characters that shown on those polls and we can see that reflected with what was officially revealed. Characters like Isaac, Shovel Knight and Bomberman who were common poll toppers for example received solid consolidation prizes in Ultimate which I believe is intended as a nod that we were heard but couldn't quite make the cut.

Isaac especially probably got the biggest nods out of all the potential candidates, he not only returned as an assist trophy but his moveset and movement capability was expanded, the first and currently only of it's kind (besides Shadow's chaos control having that one extra freeze ability) and he was the only cut Brawl assist trophy besides Gray Fox to make his return. There's also Golden Sun having eight spirits, only coming after Rhythm Heaven having the most spirits out of every non playable franchise alongside being the only one that has every class of spirits being accounted for. There's no doubt all this came from Isaac's strong presence in the ballot. Also the Mii costume is a pretty notable piece of representation. It easily puts him in a strong position for the next game to some degree which would be only further rocket-boosted by a new Golden Sun game with successful sales.

They said Bayonetta was first amongst "realisable" character so pretty much whatever characters they were able to feasibly get the license to at that time so you can put a character owned by Disney as a character that wasn't realisable at that point in time
I see. Thanks.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink

Everything can be solved...if you have the right psynergy. lol

https://smashboards.com/threads/sma...urnament-qualifying-round-voting-open.515530/
We now have a thread asking to vote for the most requested first party character going into the next game. Vote for Isaac if ya'll haven't already =)
Voted for my Golden Boy! Honestly, Isaac definitely feels like one of THE top contenders for 1st party newcomers for the next Smash game. They've already added the long requested ones like Ridley, K. Rool and more. Now, we have to make sure that momemtum that we have built up since Ultimate released (or even since the Ballot) keeps going and when that new GS game finally gets out, we can really do some good for the series! Let's never make the same mistake again during Dark Dawn's release and actually push for the success for GS.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
https://smashboards.com/threads/sma...urnament-qualifying-round-voting-open.515530/
We now have a thread asking to vote for the most requested first party character going into the next game. Vote for Isaac if ya'll haven't already =)
Honestly, this is a great reminder of how many wonderful candidates there still are for Nintendo characters for Smash. I voted for like a dozen characters (Isaac first among them of course), and that list still left out some quality choices like an Octoling echo, the Breath of the Wild Champions, and any number of options from Pokemon. Assuming the next Smash is something of a reboot for the franchise, I can't imagine how difficult it is to choose which characters are included, even if third-parties are left out entirely.

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
After Advance Wars, I also like to think that Golden Sun could get a new game and not necessarily be developed by Camelot. Because I feel the best route to take for Nintendo is to remake the first two games, the base is already there, you could have another company develop it if Camelot is unaivalable for the time being (because of Golf), especially considering the fact that we are already seeing the results of the trademarks registered around the same time the new GS one was, like N64 controller (2017), Advance Wars (2018), Wrecking Crew(2018). And I have no doubt that we will also be seeing Style Savvy soon-ish (maybe next year?) so... Here is hoping. There was also the Grezzo "medieval" game, we still don't know what that was about, do we?

Voted! So many good options there

Smash Lord
In case you guys didn't see the latest announcement on the newcomer speculation hub the newcomer speculation threads are going to close in ten days on October 21st. It's going to be emotional seeing this thread locked after over 1000 pages and over four years of speculation. If you guys still want to keep up with all the latest Golden Sun developments you can check out whatever shows up on r/GoldenSun, follow the IsaacAdepts Twitter account or join the Angara Continent server which you can get the link for if you DM me.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Honestly, this is a great reminder of how many wonderful candidates there still are for Nintendo characters for Smash. I voted for like a dozen characters (Isaac first among them of course), and that list still left out some quality choices like an Octoling echo, the Breath of the Wild Champions, and any number of options from Pokemon. Assuming the next Smash is something of a reboot for the franchise, I can't imagine how difficult it is to choose which characters are included, even if third-parties are left out entirely.
I hope Nintendo is ready to embrace the idea of the Switch's successor not outselling the Switch. They didn't have any of their consoles outsell the NES until the Wii, the GBA never did original GB numbers, and the same is true for the 3DS's sales versus the DS. And let's not talk about the Wii U.

Because that might be something that helps Smash 6 focus more on first parties.

Last edited:

isaac3000

Smash Journeyman
Was a fun ride everyone, I only comment in this forum in the Isaac threads mostly. Hopefully some day as a newcomer. Most will probably be on r/Golden Sun, maybe under different names but as a fanbase we always find to each other! Take care!

Lenidem

Smash Lord
By the way, I mentioned it last year, but it does no harm to repeat it.

Around eight years ago, I started playing the first Golden Sun and did not finish it because of all the things I was doing back then. It's you guys on this thread who made me want to go back to it, and I had a great time. So at the very least, thank you for that! I hope I can play the sequel some day, the original or a remake, and I believe this franchise deserve recognition, in Smash and in general.

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
Yes, there are still plenty of characters Nintendo can pull from future games (and this is just first party options- there's plenty of third parties that could make it in as well). This is only for unique newcomers, which is why Octoling was omitted. I do plan on doing an echo newcomer tournament and Octoling will be included there. BOTW Champions were excluded because I felt it would be too bloated with all 4 of them considering I already added plenty of Zelda characters. I suppose I could've had them as a 4 in 1 fighter, but it's too late now, honestly. With Pokemon, I don't really see them adding older Pokemon. Putting Cinderace was a bit of a stretch and I originally just gad Gen 10 there (we'll likely be on Gen 10 when the next Smash is released). Hoping the next Smash is not a reboot. I'd love if they could essentially copy and paste Ultimate and then just add more characters, stages, items, modes, etc.

Thanks for promoting my poll!

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'd love if they could essentially copy and paste Ultimate and then just add more characters, stages, items, modes, etc.
You have to remember that Ultimate required many sacrifices as-is.

Now imagine having to do it again with an even bigger roster.

With even more companies involved.

One of which is Disney.

Nossnitro102

Smash Journeyman
Man I feel old after having been here off and on for as long as I have been (and I went down a lot of memory lane looking through my rather extensive emails).
Things are so different now..
Well. Either way. Something SHOULD happen soon with SOMETHING. I mean.. things seem to have stayed stagnant for so long ya know?

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
Bayo was #1 in Europe and top 5 in another regions.

Of the realizable characters. Soras got so much Smash4 in his trailer I'm wondering things.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
After Advance Wars, I also like to think that Golden Sun could get a new game and not necessarily be developed by Camelot. Because I feel the best route to take for Nintendo is to remake the first two games, the base is already there, you could have another company develop it if Camelot is unaivalable for the time being (because of Golf), especially considering the fact that we are already seeing the results of the trademarks registered around the same time the new GS one was, like N64 controller (2017), Advance Wars (2018), Wrecking Crew(2018). And I have no doubt that we will also be seeing Style Savvy soon-ish (maybe next year?) so... Here is hoping. There was also the Grezzo "medieval" game, we still don't know what that was about, do we?
One thing I've kept in mind in regards to the trademark is to not treat the year of registration as a game announcement. There's likely many games that had trademarks registered and haven't seen a game some years out and since this is about a series we've been waiting to return it's easy to get antsy with each passing Nintendo Direct. I'm just glad to know of this trademark's existence and perfectly content in waiting for however long it takes to unveil. Especially considering I have one heck of a backlog that will be sure to last me a decade lol

Last edited:

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink

One of those captures at the right time moments. lmao

One thing I've kept in mind in regards to the trademark is to not treat the year of registration as a game announcement. There's likely many games that had trademarks registered and haven't seen a game some years out and since this is about a series we've been waiting to return it's easy to get antsy with each passing Nintendo Direct. I'm just glad to know of this trademark's existence and perfectly content in waiting for however long it takes to unveil. Especially considering I have one heck of a backlog that will be sure to last me a decade lol
Yup. It took awlile for other new trademarks to finally show off what they were about. Golden Sun's new trademark (and that new Dark Dawn trademark) will come around eventually. Nintendo wouldn't go out of their way to make these, let alone fork over money for nothing. Makes me wonder how far in development Camelot (or a different studio that could potentially be helping like Grezzo maybe?) is at. I still don't believe that Mario Golf Super Rush should have taken 3+ years to make. Unless they were developing Golf and GS at the same time. But for now, that's just a theory. Hopefully we'll get answers one day.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Bayo was #1 in Europe and top 5 in another regions.

Of the realizable characters. Soras got so much Smash4 in his trailer I'm wondering things.
If you look at Nintendo's 2015-16 lineup, it'll seem like there's many cases where they cheapened out on new Wii U/3DS titles so the real money could be spent on Switch games. This apparently extends to Smash DLC, as Bayo is a smaller third-party than any of the ones in FP2, and they all have hints they were initially planned around this time. It's understandable that Nintendo really needed to come back from the failure that was the Wii U, but by the time FP2 was actually announced, that comeback was already made and they could've gotten away with at least one of those slots being a first-party instead.

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
Namco bandai just announced a remake of Tales of Symphonia.

I get the idea that if that whole Disney character thing hadn't worked out, Lloyd was the plan B.

I think he was also the #1 most requested character in Japan, with Sora second.

Huh. Timelines...

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
So, been a long time. I remember when i posted all those Golden Sun comics in the Isaac thread, yeah, Speedwagon, remember me? It's hard to think it's been 5 years. I recently replayed Golden Sun, good game after all these years, though i haven't replayed The Lost Yet due to Xenoblade and other games taking priority.

I wasn't here when the whole Grinch Leak came crumbling down which was for the best, and after months of people speculating about Trademarks and such, Mario Golf killed our hopes.

I'm not here because "i ToLD YOu sO" because i also wanted to believe. I'm here because in a few days the entire Newcomer thread will close, and i just wanted to do one last post. No wall of text here because i don't have the energy.

It's just kinda sad to thing that once upon a time, i saw Isaac as a pretty good candidate, yet other characters i wanted that felt far more unlikely got in first. Like don't get me wrong, im still giddy about Simon in Smash, but it was weird to see Isaac essentially be erased from 4 and have his demand only amount to his Assist coming back.

Still, i will always remember those days when i played Golden Sun hopeful that Isaac's time to shine was soon approaching. One day that might happen, but i know when to call it quits.

Goodpseed Golden Sun.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Namco bandai just announced a remake of Tales of Symphonia.

I get the idea that if that whole Disney character thing hadn't worked out, Lloyd was the plan B.

I think he was also the #1 most requested character in Japan, with Sora second.

Huh. Timelines...
Seems like... a lot of guessing to me. I mean, Lloyd isn't even the most popular Tales character in Japan, Yuri is.

Also, can I get a source on the Symphonia remake?

ZelDan

Smash Master
I haven't heard news about a tales of Symphonia remake anywhere else.

And I feel like I definitely would have by now.

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
Got it from a discord but now I can't find it.

Ok well disregard then, sorry for the noise. ☹

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink

Isaac just...combusts. lol

We have about 5 days till these Newcomer Threads close, but still, I'm going to miss it. Especially this Isaac one of course. A lot has happened in this Thread and had made many friendships too. I just hope our determination to bring back Golden Sun (and keep supporting Isaac for Smash) won't waver again. After all the work we've put in, we cannot afford to back out now. We WILL get GS back!

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Thanks to Isaac: Venus Adept Isaac: Venus Adept , we have a thread over at NintenZone to discuss Golden Sun after this thread closes.

I just want to reiterate that it has been an absolute honour to be here and whilst we didn't get the Ultimate prize, this fanbase has really done a good job of ensuring the legacy of Golden Sun shall never be forgotten.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink

Piercing through the darkness. Sora will need all the help he can get. lol

Got something super cool! An alternative to an Isaac amiibo, I guess? lol

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I assume the thread of that poll is gonna be moved by admins/mods to the "Next Smash" sub forum that they are making? because the deadline of the 1st round of this poll is gonna be 2 days after the newcomer speculation threads are gonna be all gone.

Smash Lord
With Sora released it was worth one final thank you to Sakurai

This is probably the last post I'll make on this thread with the Ultimate speculation boards about to close.
As True Blue Warrior True Blue Warrior so kindly pointed out I created a new thread where we can resume all future related Golden Sun discussion in the NintenZone section:
https://smashboards.com/threads/golden-sun-franchise-discussion-thread.515645/

Also the #GoldenSun20 event is getting a second round on November 12 so we can still participate there. I'll be posting on relevant updates regarding that and future events in the NintenZone Golden Sun thread.

Also one final note it's worth noting there's an Isaac mod for Ultimate in development right now, it's worth keeping an eye on if you guys are interested.
https://gamebanana.com/wips/60474

Until next time it's been an absolutely wonderful and crazy ride speculating about Isaac here and we did a great job spreading the good word about Isaac and Golden Sun series over the past few years. With all the fan works and dedication I've been seeing on the rise I'm confident the series will be revived in due time and Isaac will eventually join the Super Smash Bros roster one day. Thank you for all the great memories and friends I've made over the years, you guys are the best =)
1634614348370.png

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink

As someone who loves Golden Sun and Doom AND wanted both Isaac and Doom Slayer to be playable (plus Sora), this makes me very happy. I'll take what I can get here. I was SO close, but at least I can represent them in Smash in some way. One day, they will be playable!

Kalaam

Smash Ace
Well, I hope that whenever smash 6 happens the newcomers will first be from more niche/old games so we actually get a chance. Pass 2 had a lot of good characters but its focus on recent big hits really ended up being boring. Too much of a good thing and all.
I really, really hope this isn't the direction smash will keep heading for in the future.
But anyway, see you all soon in the Smash 6 speculation threads :p

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Before this thread comes to an end, I just want to say that it's incredibly inspiring to witness people undyingly loyal to seeing a series/character get the recognition deserved. Many of Golden Sun's contemporaries have faded into near silence among their fanbases, and it's not a mark against them so much as it's really a testament to this fanbase to keep striving forward and reaching for its continued future.

All the more impressive is how we've done so much on so little, having basically nothing in the way of series developments for over a decade, and yet Isaac fans continue to show up when the heat is on to turn out big numbers, such as a ballot, or the lead-up to base. We really know how to ration our fuel, lol.

I was more or less the overseer of the fanbase on here for at least the last two games, through the quiet times and the chaos, and one thing that strikes me is how Isaac, bafflingly (but impressively) just continues to climb in popularity. Of course it was curbed when he was deconfirmed, but prior to that the demand was the highest I had seen in many years. Even though I didn't share the optimism of the thread after the AT showed up, the fact that people were still determined to carry on supporting Isaac instills in me a belief that my imminent departure from this site leaves the fanbase in good hands. More passionate hands than myself these days. And a fanbase needs optimism to persevere, which this one never shakes.

So guys, now that the slate is being wiped clean again, let's do what Isaac fans do best, rekindle that zeal and reforge that trajectory for the next time. Not just for Smash, but for the series return as well.

All that to say, I thank everyone here for never giving up on the golden boy and his series, and I'm very grateful knowing that you guys will keep fighting the good fight, and showing up when it matters most to stand by Isaac. I also thank you for putting up with my opinions, some of which I absolutely know were not eye to eye with yours. I only ever strove to keep things, well, grounded. Pun unintended. xD

It's been an honour that the fanbase often looked to me to helm this thread and its predecessors, speak the good word of Scarf Boy, and, at least a few years ago, shepherd people through the madness. I've taken more a backseat role as of late, but only because I see the fanbase really doesn't need me. You guys have made great strives in bringing more attention towards the series. And that's amazing to see. I know you will all keep pushing until the sun rises again, I hope the next thread can reach the heights this one did, if not surpass it, and I look forward to the eventual reality of the series one day making its return.

So with the sun setting on my time on the boards, thanks everyone for being a fanbase worth envying, for a series worth remembering.
#GoldenSunday

Isaac_lBlade_CastFront2.gif

ArkSPiTFirE

Smash Journeyman
Oh, looks like this is closing. Was fun to tag along since 2018, overall I'm happy enough with Ultimate. Hero was a great surprise in terms of how much I like him and he really ruined every other character for me.

I'm proud of how far this thread has come and I'll hop into the next one when it opens.

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Ahh, just saw earlier today that the threads are about to close. Looks like I made it just in time for a final visit.

Crazy how long this game's speculation cycle has lasted. Ultimate gave us some pretty amazing characters, but after Sephiroth's great trailer, I admittedly found myself rapidly losing interest. Super Rush happened, and it was becoming clear that my first-party picks stuck in the Assist Trophies weren't going anywhere this time. I rarely found myself logging on the site, but the one thing that did bring me back every so often was checking this thread. This is a great group, and despite how much disappointment the Golden Sun fanbase has suffered for over a decade, it just continues to endure. In fact, we seem as visible as ever. It's honestly pretty impressive.

I feel very dissociated with current speculation, but I'm expecting our "disconfirmed" first-party favorites to surge again with a new game a clean slate. Isaac has managed to stay an active fixture in conversation, with a lot of the big names now in Smash, our voices are going to be that much louder. I don't know what a roster downsize or anything like that would mean for Isaac's chances, but ehh, we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

So whatever the future holds, I find myself feeling more optimistic with Ultimate now in the rear view, since we can do our thing without that pesky "Assist Trophy" label hanging over us. Finally getting a new Golden Sun entry would be major step in the right direction, so continuing the campaign for that should keep us busy until the next Smash announcement.

Will I be around for the next speculation cycle? Well, I'm almost no longer young, which is probably a common condition for a lot of us in the Golden Sun fandom. Then again, at this rate I'll probably still be single with nothing better to do, so we'll see. Wherever I'm at, though, I'll be cheering along with the rest of the Adepts when our day finally comes!

Gotann

Smash Apprentice
The amount of support I have seen for Isaac/Golden Sun these past years have been really incredible to see. Whether it's from Golden Sundays or through Character Polls.

Really guys, great job on everything you have done so far. I really hope this keeps up.

I'm very confident that a new game or at least a remake will happen some day. And hopefully Golden Sun will finally get a playable rep in the future too.

It's a lot of more waiting... but I'm sure something good will come out of all this.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
It's been a long time since I've visited this thread and I hope all is well fellow Adepts. The Ultimate speculation has been nothing short of truly a wild ride. From "Everyone Is Here" to Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo & Kazooie, and so on, it's been very hectic to say the least. Even though we came up short, it's nice to see the support for Isaac strong. Take care and see you all on the next thread.

Top Bottom