• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Well I don’t think we are getting a Gen 8 Pokemon due to the spirit event. Another factor is that it makes no sense to not save the legendaries and the starter Pokemon for a hypothetical Sword & Shield Challenger Pack since they are the most iconic Mon of that Gen.
You don't have to tell me we aren't getting gen 8 twice.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
You don't have to tell me we aren't getting gen 8 twice.
Funny thing is I do think there are Gen 8 Pokemon that could be very interesting fighters like Zacian and Dragapult. I’m just not interested in the Gen 8 final evolution starters.

Off topic, but I really like this tweet for criticising the obsession some people have with “hype”.

Last edited:

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink

Had a lot to tweet this week on Isaac vs Kraig. It was cool!

I'm still holding out hope for Isaac since there's a lot going for him. But I'm also prepared to not get him too. I really feel like Kazuya destroyed Smash Speculation and everyone is now just hopeful that "X" character is in. It's going to be interesting what the result will be this Tuesday.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'm still holding out hope for Isaac since there's a lot going for him. But I'm also prepared to not get him too. I really feel like Kazuya destroyed Smash Speculation and everyone is now just hopeful that "X" character is in. It's going to be interesting what the result will be this Tuesday.
To be fair, this is literally the last chance for anyone to be playable in Ultimate. So many dreams will be crushed no matter how big the character is.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
To be fair, this is literally the last chance for anyone to be playable in Ultimate. So many dreams will be crushed no matter how big the character is.
Double the pain for those who see their character as a mii in this pack, lol. Kazuya's mii pack definitely destroyed me haha

Last edited:

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink

Gotta love relaxing Golden Sundays, right? lol

Isaac made it to the Semi-Finals! While these polls are just for fun, it's nice to show everyone that we STILL want him and that he was never a fad or was bandwagoned.

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
I too believe, all things considered, that the final character will be a first party character (also could be one of the reasons we are going in basically blind).
I'd love it to be Isaac, taking into account the second chances theme of this pass, the results from the ballot, everything that happen in 2018 from the Rathalos Tweet to the outcry when his AT was shown. I'd even think using Dad Isaac, Felix or Matthew could solve the "but he is already an AT!" dilemma.

That said, I don't expect it to be Isaac, mainly because Sakurai just never talks about him, he is one of few big first party character from the ballot that never gets addressed or discussed at all in the columns or other commentary, unlike the rest of the first party characters that got their second chance in this pass...

Hope definitely dies last tho

ArkSPiTFirE

Smash Journeyman
Well there's no new game for Sakurai to talk about, and he has to be careful about what he says. We did get the Golden Sun anniversary shouted out on Twitter, so there's that.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
The wording from Sakurai's recent comments is kinda strange to me. He says you may not have heard of this character (obscure?, or at least obscure to the smash bros community, alternatively....he's talking to the wider gaming community and it's an obscure gaming character in general)....but also that he hopes the wider gaming community tunes in to the broadcast. (so that sounds like its not a Nintendo character or even a character that's commonly seen on Nintendo platforms) It also makes it sound like the character is big and not obscure if he wants the wider gaming community to tune in.

My first impression was that it sounded like Sakurai was adding an obscure indie character. You might not have heard of them before, but he wants the wider gaming community to tune in....

My second impression was that it'll be a big name in gaming that isn't necessarily big in the smash bros community. So basically that guy from Fortnite.

Alternatively.....it's a retro character who was big when they first made their debut but has since fallen into obscurity.

Kinda makes me think Waluigi is dead in the water though, I can't imagine Sakurai thinking we might not have heard of Waluigi before. Isaac I can kinda see if he's talking to the wider gaming community but I'm still not feeling confident.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
This is what he specifically said.

Even if you don't play Smash Bros, and are just interested in gaming, I'd like to invite you to watch the broadcast. You may not know the new fighter, or it might be different from your personal expectations. BUT, we hope you enjoy this game show and the broadcast itself! I really enjoyed recording the broadcast.
Bolded for extra emphasis. I believe in context, when he is talking about the fighter not being known, that perhaps he was talking specificaly to those who don’t play Smash.

And this is what he said in English.

Whether you're a Smash Bros. player or simply love games, make sure to tune in!
This is too vague to mean much as “simply love games” could range from people who loves playing Nintendo and non-Nintendo games on Switch to those that are more X-Box/Playstation users.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
He's used similar wording for Byleth's presentation. Just a heads up.
Hopefully, in both cases, it's just because it's the last character of the pass, as opposed to tomorrow's presentation starting off with "to celebrate the success of Fire Emblem Heroes on mobile devices, we're adding Alfonse from Fire Emblem Heroes."

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
Eh, I wouldn't read too far into the tweet. I think that's just Sakurai trying to prevent another Byleth-esqe situation where there was a lot of people angry posting across the internet.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
I too believe, all things considered, that the final character will be a first party character (also could be one of the reasons we are going in basically blind).
I'd love it to be Isaac, taking into account the second chances theme of this pass, the results from the ballot, everything that happen in 2018 from the Rathalos Tweet to the outcry when his AT was shown. I'd even think using Dad Isaac, Felix or Matthew could solve the "but he is already an AT!" dilemma.

That said, I don't expect it to be Isaac, mainly because Sakurai just never talks about him, he is one of few big first party character from the ballot that never gets addressed or discussed at all in the columns or other commentary, unlike the rest of the first party characters that got their second chance in this pass...

Hope definitely dies last tho
I remember when Sakurai talked about King K Rool prior to being added

Wait he didn't

So let's all share the fun in getting our hands on the latest information. However, even if you say "That's not the character I was picturing" I hope you don't have any hard feelings.
That's still basically the same message

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I must day, before the final reveal, I'm very glad the Isaac support thread was as massive as it was until this point. Am sure he's one of the more logical fan requested pics IF Smash continues to expand its roster in a next game (which is doubtful). In any case, am positive that Golden Sun will get a remake on Switch with all the outcry for this to happen.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink

I really like how these turned out. Looks like Mythra is trying to help Isaac after he deflected Sephiroth’s attack.

Isaac in the Final Round! This a close one too!

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
I remember when Sakurai talked about King K Rool prior to being added

Wait he didn't
Hence why I said "unlike the rest of the first party characters that got their chance in this pass", K Rool wasn't in this pass. I meant Min-Min and Pyra/Mythra.
Well there's no new game for Sakurai to talk about, and he has to be careful about what he says. We did get the Golden Sun anniversary shouted out on Twitter, so there's that.

Yes, I meant he never discussed Golden Sun being a potential series he wanted to include but didn't get in for other reasons ( a la Arms or even Chrom back in SSB4)

Also, I too think Sakurai tweeted that because it will be the last broadcast, rather than because of the nature of the character. I find it odd it was only in the Japanese tweet and not replicated in his English tweet

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
I highly doubt Isaac is going to show up tomorrow, even though he is my most wanted character. But regardless it’s been fun speculating.

I’ve wanted Isaac since the Brawl speculation days, but didn’t join these forums until a few months before Ultimate’s release. So I did get to see all the Grinch leak stuff and that was fun since Isaac was a big part of that. Especially when that little sprout item showed up and everyone thought it was a Growth icon for some Golden Sun item.

Hopefully all this Isaac demand and Golden Sun demand has been noticed by Nintendo and they bring the series back. That’s what I really want more than anything.

Anyways, it’s been fun everyone.

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
It has been quite the ride! I joined the speculation actively from the ballot onwards but joined here around 2018 E3. Crazy how Isaac went from "who?" to people crying for the return of his AT (Rathalos tweet, Grinch leak and everything in between) I am glad for this community

And regardless of what happens tomorrow, I hope we can remain active an pushing for the return of the franchise, together

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Regardless what happens in a couple of hours I want to give a personal thank you to everyone in this thread for all the memories and great people I've met during this three year hype train. The idea for me starting the IsaacAdepts Twitter account (formerly IsaacForSmash pre-November 2018) came right from this thread and the amount of hype and speculation we built up for Isaac and the Golden Sun franchise more than any other Smash speculation cycle is simply phenomenal. With the Rathalos Tweet, Grinch Leak, trademarks and so many other highlights it really has been a crazy rollercoaster of a ride. Even though things have slowed down since after the assist reveal as well as the constant knocks of things like the Mario Golf reveal we've still had so many passionate fans hold their ground proving the worth of this character and the Golden Sun series even an entire decade after it's remained dormant. Regardless what happens after the presentation if we magically whether we miraculously get our boy as a fighter in this game or not, it's been an honour being on the Ultimate speculation train with you guys.
1633426973890.png

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
While I'm still not expecting Isaac to show up, it's been an absolute blast of three & a half years speculating & supporting him with y'all, and hopefully even if he's not added, that our clamour has convinced Nintendo to think about bringing back Golden Sun for a modern audience. That's the dream, after all.

TheSpaceKing12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
No matter what happens, we've managed to keep the golden sun fandom awake in these last few rough years. And that's a change that will carry consequences for a long, long, and untold time to come. It was an honor to speculate alongside you guys. Next, we move to Mods and fangames, as we always have. While keeping the spirit of a glorious golden awakening close to all of our hearts.

Last edited:

q-long2

Smash Rookie
I used to post here a long time ago. Nice seeing you all here. My name was Q-Long. idk if any of you remember me.

If any of you are in your mid or late twenties or early 30s, its kind of crazy. We have been through 3 speculation cycles. To me this reveal represents the fact that I'm not so young anymore and it represents the passage of time. Do you guys feel the same way?

Also I used to be in a Isaac 4 Smash Discord from here. Is that still around?

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink

Reminds me of the old Rathalos Tweet. Hehe.

It's been a fun ride speculating with you all, fellow Adepts. We've come a long way and now we've gotten more and more people introduced to Golden Sun. The future looks bright for us. Lets never give up the fight for Golden Sun's return one day. And especially, always keep up the fight for Isaac to get into the roster.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I'm not feeling particularly bad since I didn't go into this with expectations of Isaac. (honestly in a way, I'm probably more disappointed that the Ace Attorney series got absolutely nothing)

It does seem kinda strange that Sakurai said "you might not know the character" to the Japanese audience though. I would have imagined Sora is fairly well known? (especially if he won the ballot)

Ultimately, I think Sora (as the winner of the ballot) is another example of fan demand resulting in a character getting in. So whenever Smash 6 rolls around, we shouldn't forget that Isaacs best strength is his fans.

Last edited:

q-long2

Smash Rookie
Anyone else feel really old?

I never played KH, but the trailer made me teared up. I remember speculating characters for SSBB back in middle school and being confused at Snake's reveal haha.

Reminds me of all the time I spent arguing about newcomers for Smash 4. Arguing with strangers in middle school about Isaac being in Brawl, Robin's reveal for Smash 4 during my college transfer orientation, checking my phone for Bayonetta's reveal before work, Smash Ultimate's trailer alongside a break up, starting a job alongside the Grinch leak, spending time here and seeing Isaac be deconfirmed, the DLC trailers and various relationships I been in and out of, and this trailer for Sora that coincided with a new job I started.

Trailer was awesome, it just reminded me I'm 28 now haha, good job to Mr. Sakurai and good job to all of you.

Top Bottom