• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Just played my first online battle as Mii Isaac. It was pretty exhilarating. (I won, pretty sure it was a newbie free for all but still!)

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I've seen people suggest things like Dragon Quest, Tomb Raider, and NieR for Smash for the sake of series representation but what sets Persona and Joker apart is that Smash fans actually wanted them in Smash. The first three have like no demand. That's why Joker was such a big deal. A decent number of people wanted Persona/Shin Megami Tensei content in Smash but thought it was impossible. Granted, Joker was usually like top 30-50 range in fan polls but was still there where as virtually no one is demanding Dragon Quest characters or Lara Croft. Joker is super similar to Cloud and Bayonetta in that regard.
Gotta agree 100% with this.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Just played my first online battle as Mii Isaac. It was pretty exhilarating. (I won, pretty sure it was a newbie free for all but still!)
What's the voice option you used for the Mii, I used voice option 7 (Normal). Apparently the 2nd Side-B is changed to Gale Stab but its still similar to the previous 2nd Side-B

Last edited:

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
What's the voice option you used for the Mii, I used voice option 7 (Normal). Apparently the 2nd Side-B is changed to Gale Stab but its still similar to the previous 2nd Side-B
I used Option 1 (High). To me, it sounds like how I imagined Isaac somewhat.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
And the results are in: I took the tourney in a first place victory guys!! I met other golden sun fans too and they were pretty hyped to see me win in grand finals. My smash ultimate competitive journey is off to a great start. Let’s keep up our fight for golden sun to return and our golden boi to join the fight

Last edited:

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Damn, congrats KoopaSaki KoopaSaki ! Did you win with the gloves on? xD
I kept the gloves off when I fought (and I had to take the wig off so my headset could fit during matches XD) I even got to bring these prizes home thanks to also winning in store credit. I’m going to treasure that lost age copy as a hard won trophy. :)
B98A71C2-EA45-462B-989E-73E616BFB4C2.jpeg

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I kept the gloves off when I fought (and I had to take the wig off so my headset could fit during matches XD) I even got to bring these prizes home thanks to also winning in store credit. I’m going to treasure that lost age copy as a hard won trophy. :)
Wow looks like you really made bank at that tourney

Keep up the good work!

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I kept the gloves off when I fought (and I had to take the wig off so my headset could fit during matches XD) I even got to bring these prizes home thanks to also winning in store credit. I’m going to treasure that lost age copy as a hard won trophy. :)View attachment 182299
You walked out of there like the king of the world dude holy crap haha

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
And the results are in: I took the tourney in a first place victory guys!! I met other golden sun fans too and they were pretty hyped to see me win in grand finals. My smash ultimate competitive journey is off to a great start. Let’s keep up our fight for golden sun to return and our golden boi to join the fight! View attachment 182294View attachment 182296
Congrats on the win! Keep fighting the good fight!

Now we just need you to take a selfie with 50 Cent.

Bladebreaker

Smash Cadet
I've seen people suggest things like Dragon Quest, Tomb Raider, and NieR for Smash for the sake of series representation but what sets Persona and Joker apart is that Smash fans actually wanted them in Smash. The first three have like no demand. That's why Joker was such a big deal. A decent number of people wanted Persona/Shin Megami Tensei content in Smash but thought it was impossible. Granted, Joker was usually like top 30-50 range in fan polls but was still there where as virtually no one is demanding Dragon Quest characters or Lara Croft. Joker is super similar to Cloud and Bayonetta in that regard.
For what it's worth, I want a DQ character in Smash. Seeing how popular it is in Japan, I'm sure it's really well wanted over there, but the Western audience is much more niche than Final Fantasy or Tomb Raider even.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
And the results are in: I took the tourney in a first place victory guys!! I met other golden sun fans too and they were pretty hyped to see me win in grand finals. My smash ultimate competitive journey is off to a great start. Let’s keep up our fight for golden sun to return and our golden boi to join the fight! View attachment 182294View attachment 182296
You need more love for this.

Right now is the perfect time to keep showing our support for Isaac and Golden Sun.

Any more cosplayers?

Last edited:

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
Just doing my weekly check in. I hope you all are doing well.

As much as I want Isaac I sadly believe Wave 1 will be all Third Party characters. Fingers crossed for a Wave 2!!!

Also I think people are sleeping on the possibility of a Mortal Kombat character being dlc. I find it strange that Mortal Kombat 11 is suddenly coming to the Switch when a MK game hasn’t been on a Nintendo system since 2006 and of course this gets announced during the Smash dlc cycle. Given how iconic the series is to gaming...a character from MK would not shock me now after Joker’s reveal and recent comments from Reggie at the VGA.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Just doing my weekly check in. I hope you all are doing well.

As much as I want Isaac I sadly believe Wave 1 will be all Third Party characters. Fingers crossed for a Wave 2!!!

Also I think people are sleeping on the possibility of a Mortal Kombat character being dlc. I find it strange that Mortal Kombat 11 is suddenly coming to the Switch when a MK game hasn’t been on a Nintendo system since 2006 and of course this gets announced during the Smash dlc cycle. Given how iconic the series is to gaming...a character from MK would not shock me now after Joker’s reveal and recent comments from Reggie at the VGA.
Sub-Zero ~cough~cough~

FantastiqueFran

Smash Cadet
NNID
Haruki-KunST
Also, I think people are sleeping on the possibility of a Mortal Kombat character being dlc. I find it strange that Mortal Kombat 11 is suddenly coming to the Switch when a MK game hasn’t been on a Nintendo system since 2006 and of course this gets announced during the Smash dlc cycle. Given how iconic the series is to gaming...a character from MK would not shock me now after Joker’s reveal and recent comments from Reggie at the VGA.
I find it odd that Mortal Kombat 11 will be on the Switch, but that's just me I guess. But now when I think about it, seeing an MK character in Smash really isn't that farfetched. Joker's inclusion implies that virtually anyone's fair game from the third-party side, so characters like Scorpion or Sub-Zero actually have a chance. Since Mortal Kombat's a fighting game also, they'd fit well with Smash's combat aesthetics.

The only problem I see is how they'll implement Mortal Kombat in Smash Bros. in a way that won't boost up the age rating. People best know Mortal Kombat for being a brutal gorefest fighting game, but that hasn't stopped Smash Bros. from adding characters from an M-rated game (Bayonetta and Snake).

Also, Doomguy's been getting some momentum lately and his game consists of blood and violence. So, if people are OK with Doom getting some rep in Smash, I don't really see what's stopping Mortal Kombat from getting some rep too.

I'm curious to hear what Ed Boon and Netherrealm Studios have to say about Mortal Kombat content in Smash Bros.

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
I find it odd that Mortal Kombat 11 will be on the Switch
I find it even more odd that DMC 5 won't be on Switch. That's kinda fishy.

In terms of MK, it's not that likely I guess because there seems to be a focus on Japanese 3rd parties but who knows. Literally anything's possible in times of PP, Joker, Ridley and Co.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
It seems to be the general prevailing theory that the remaining DLC characters will all be third-party. I do not believe this one bit. My guess is two other third-parties and two Nintendo characters. I made a prediction a while back that including a Shin Megami Tensei character (specifically from SMT, I didn't think the non-Nintendo spinoff would get the nod lol), so that's a half-victory for me, I guess. However, in light of Reggie's statements, I'd like to revise my DLC picks. Here they are:

Sora. I'm sure Square will be getting another character, and Sora fits the bill. He's highly requested (like Joker), isn't really a Nintendo character (like Joker), and comes from a JRPG series (like Joker). Are you seeing a trend here? I'd love to give Geno the Square slot, but I just don't see it, sadly.
Banjo. Yet another fan-requested character. I'm thinking Sakurai has seen the demand for Banjo and will make it happen. Microsoft is open to it, so I think the only thing stopping this is money, but I think Sakurai would be willing to shell out big bucks for such a fan pleaser.
Isaac. Reggie has said these DLC characters will be "new to the series" and will be unexpected. While Isaac isn't technically "new to Smash", he'd be a new, unique, highly requested fighter with massive marketing potential. As I'm sure many of us can testify to, there's nothing better to get people interested in a series than to put it in Smash. Plus, Isaac making the Assist leap will shock the ones who have written him off, adding to that "surprise factor".
Now, originally, I had a Gen 8 Pokemon here, but I don't think that will happen anymore, given Reggie's statements. So, here's my last DLC prediction:
Bandana Dee. He's the Japan pick here, since he's massively popular in Japan, with plenty of support in the West, as well. Dee's moves would be unique, and he'd finally fill out the main Kirby cast. The only obstacle I see here is the stage: they'd have to make a Kirby stage. Not sure what it would be, though it would probably be a modern Kirby stage, and Sakurai hasn't exactly given modern Kirby a lot of love in Smash.

There you have it. Who I think the final four DLC characters will be. Additionally, I don't think we'll be seeing a second wave, so this is Isaac's last best shot at getting in Ultimate, which I really hope happens, because we probably won't be seeing a new Smash for at least 5 years or so.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
So I was confused why Isaac's Spirit Battle takes place on Wuhu Island, but according to this it's the wooden bridge area of it:
https://goldensunwiki.net/wiki/Super_Smash_Bros._Ultimate#Golden_Sun-related_Spirits

I think it's supposed to emulate Vale, which is cool
Yeah I've seen then use one section of a traveling stage that is stuck their fairly often. Wuhu Island is perfect for this because it has a **** ton of variety. Valoo is fought on the volcano of Wuhu Island (giant Charizard).

DogManStar

Smash Ace
Isaac would definitely be surprising and new to the series. He fits the bill for sure. The only thing that makes me unsure is the fact that he is stuck as an AT, which just makes me think that making him DLC at this point would be a bit odd.

D

Deleted member

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Was playing the Jenna spirit battle and realized that after KOing Isaac, I had to see what would happen, and it turns out that Isaac has a reaction when you knock him out. I guess some other ATs do that this look, so I'm hoping eagle-eyed viewers will look into this, as well. Sorry about the angle.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Was playing the Jenna spirit battle and realized that after KOing Isaac, I had to see what would happen, and it turns out that Isaac has a reaction when you knock him out. I guess some other ATs do that this look, so I'm hoping eagle-eyed viewers will look into this, as well. Sorry about the angle.
I was waiting for this. I remember playing a match and Isaac’s AT appeared and realized that he can get hurt.

Hey, at least we are getting closer to a playable Isaac.

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
In terms of MK, it's not that likely I guess because there seems to be a focus on Japanese 3rd parties but who knows. Literally anything's possible in times of PP, Joker, Ridley and Co.
I don’t agree on there being a focus on Japanese 3rd parties.

If we made a list of all recognizable game franchises and then trimmed it down based on various factors such as: games connected to other forms of media (tv, movies, comics, etc.), sports games like Madden and FIFA, Shooter games without a true main character like Fortnite and Call of Duty, and finally games owned by Sony and Microsoft... After that, what’s left? Mainly Japanese 3rd parties! Just think about all the games Capcom and Square Enix own.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
So I haven't found Isaac yet in World of Light (I guess he's a late fight?), but I do find it curious that a least a couple other random JRPG spirits, including one I recently fought from The Last Story, use the Golden Sun remix for their music. Sort of a nice reminder that we're fairly lucky to have even as much as we do now, and that it'll take some work to convince Nintendo we deserve even more.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Well, since the server became out of touch, I'm here. Lmao.

Anyways, besides GS (and persona cause I don't want to be reminded of SMT right now), what's your favorite RPG series?

Edit: Hey can someone not make this dead?

Last edited:

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink

Anyways, besides GS (and persona cause I don't want to be reminded of SMT right now), what's your favorite RPG series?

I think we’re just occupied playing Smash and most of us here (myself included) are trying to unlock all GS content we can. Don’t worry, we’re not going anywhere. :)

As I’ve said before, I don’t really play RPGs (Unless you count Kingdom Hearts as one). Golden Sun will always be my #1 regardless because of it. However, The Magic of Scheherazade on the NES was an amazing RPG back in the day and it is what got me introduced to RPGs. The way it’s played made me think of it as a spiritual predecessor to Golden Sun. If it wasn’t for that game, I might have never played Golden Sun in the first place.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
So I haven't found Isaac yet in World of Light (I guess he's a late fight?), but I do find it curious that a least a couple other random JRPG spirits, including one I recently fought from The Last Story, use the Golden Sun remix for their music. Sort of a nice reminder that we're fairly lucky to have even as much as we do now, and that it'll take some work to convince Nintendo we deserve even more.
Yeah mate he's in the absolute final area. Good news though he's quite possibly one of the best spirits though.

D

Deleted member

Yeah mate he's in the absolute final area. Good news though he's quite possibly one of the best spirits though.
I got the strategy guide from Amazon today. Although it doesn't go too much into anything that isn't fighter related, it highly recommends using Dark Dawn Isaac if you're using Samus or Dark Samus, as suggested by Nintendo staffers.

Undella2

Smash Journeyman
Meanwhile, I'm over here playing Smash Wii U with no DLC bought...

It's unfortunate, but I don't really see the need for me to buy a new Smash game when none of the characters I wanted were added, especially when I could just go over to a friend's house to play if I really wanted to play someone like, I dunno, Snake or Ridley?

At least I have Golden Sun, Minish Cap, and Sin and Punishment for the Wii U's virtual console...

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
How'd you guys get the Isaac costume/wig?
I haven't done much of WoL, and only done Classic with the FE characters + Zelda and Ganon.

Unrelated but I'm actually liking Dark Samus a lot.
Her jump animations are awesome; her animations in general look really good. And she has awesome palettes.

I got the strategy guide from Amazon today. Although it doesn't go too much into anything that isn't fighter related, it highly recommends using Dark Dawn Isaac if you're using Samus or Dark Samus, as suggested by Nintendo staffers.
That's good news for me and my newfound love for Dark Samus.
Thanks for posting.

SPEN18

Smash Champion

It's unfortunate, but I don't really see the need for me to buy a new Smash game when none of the characters I wanted were added, especially when I could just go over to a friend's house to play if I really wanted to play someone like, I dunno, Snake or Ridley?

At least I have Golden Sun, Minish Cap, and Sin and Punishment for the Wii U's virtual console..
Well, with the package carrying my Smash game being delayed (and having a lot of snow where I am rn), and my Wii U elsewhere, I actually don't have easy access to any Smash game rn. And it's okay not to buy Ultimate, especially if you feel that a lot of the content is just recycled from old games. I won't try to sway you either way.

-------

Also, I think it is a pretty good sign that Isaac's Spirit is located near the end of the campaign and is one of the stronger ones. It seems like he got a fair bit of special treatment. Leaks aside, Isaac was almost certainly noticed on the ballot. Even if they didn't consider him as playable for this game, they definitely know about him. A new GS game between now and Smash 6 would probably jump us to the front of the line for newcomers.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289

I've got to many to count but here is a quick top 5 I guess
5.Etrain Odyssey 4/5
4.Persona 5/1/3
3.Pokemon Heartgold
2.Chrono Trigger
1.Pokemon Mystery Dungeon
Also what happened to the server?

Last edited:

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
I was lucky enough to get the costume in the shop, unfortunately the wig has not shown up in the shop yet. It does seem like you might be able to get it as a reward for clearly classic mode. I’ve gotten a few Mii outfits that way but I’m not sure if it’s randomly picked or set rewards.

I haven’t got far in WoL yet to know if you can get it there.

Arsenal234

Smash Apprentice
I haven't done much of WoL, and only done Classic with the FE characters + Zelda and Ganon.

Unrelated but I'm actually liking Dark Samus a lot.
Her jump animations are awesome; her animations in general look really good. And she has awesome palettes.

That's good news for me and my newfound love for Dark Samus.
Thanks for posting.

I just bought the wig at the in game shop. It was there for me the first time I went into the shop. Lucky RNG I guess.

Gioka

Smash Journeyman

I have plenty! I love me some RPG! The Shining series, Valkirya Chronicles, Fire Emblem, Odin Sphere, Xenoblade, Monster Hunter, Xenosaga, Hyper dimension Neptunia, WOW.... I am just a sucker for good stories and pretty designs overall, aesthetics are a great deal on why I play or choose certain games and it is one of the reasons I love GS so much!

As for the franchises I'd pick if all of the remaining DLC are indeed 3rd parties

Monster Hunter
Xenosaga
Professor Layton
Shining series (a girl preferably and yes that would make for another Sega character I am aware)

However only MH is actually on the top 10 of my most wanted, my top is mainly Nintendo

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Also what happened to the server?
We don't talk about it. :)

At least I have Golden Sun, Minish Cap, and Sin and Punishment for the Wii U's virtual console...
Yeah. My recommendation is to NOT get a switch.

I feel like I got ripped off when none of my franchises aren't even coming back.

So it's basically useless to me.

I have plenty! I love me some RPG! The Shining series, Valkirya Chronicles, Fire Emblem, Odin Sphere, Xenoblade, Monster Hunter, Xenosaga, Hyper dimension Neptunia, WOW.... I am just a sucker for good stories and pretty designs overall, aesthetics are a great deal on why I play or choose certain games and it is one of the reasons I love GS so much!

As for the franchises I'd pick if all of the remaining DLC are indeed 3rd parties

Monster Hunter
Xenosaga
Professor Layton
Shining series (a girl preferably and yes that would make for another Sega character I am aware)

However only MH is actually on the top 10 of my most wanted, my top is mainly Nintendo
Decent list I guess.

Last edited:

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
I’ve got another tourney planned for Saturday next week and I am investigating other local scenes I can make a splash in. If all goes well, I can hopefully make it to a major tourney next year and if Isaac is added through dlc, you better believe I will take him to the grand stage of evo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom