• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 Sundance Talks 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

ch33s3

Smash Lord
MLG CEO, Sundance DiGiovanni, visited with the vVv podcast, the Loser's Bracket, to talk about the 2011 Circuit. I suggest everyone here listens to the podcast, there's very important Brawl information.

Listen here, on the vVv forums.

Faith

Smash Apprentice
A summary from another forum.

Some highlights:
- Starcraft 2 to be 'right there' with Halo (no surprise)
- Plan to release entire 2011 season schedule all at once (including hotels and such)
- League of Legends discussed and Quake Live /might/ be at some events (sounds like Quake is more likely)
- CS will /not/ be on the circuit in 2011
- Raleigh pretty much confirmed as a location for 2011
- Seattle mentioned as possible/probable location
- Throwback titles at different events (probably not of much interest to TL, but whatever) - Halo 2, GoW 1, DJ Hero (?)
- Activision/Sony offered up a 'couple hundred thousand' in prize money and staffing support to have CoD Black Ops on the circuit on the PS3; also Treyarch sounds like they're patching in LAN support for MLG
- Combines will 'take a different shape' next year -> re-crafted into LAN center initiative MLG has been working on
- Trying to find ways of working with WCG (no details yet); talking to the folks in Korea
- VOD archives on the way; mobile phone platform for video archive as well
- Rebuilding Gamebattles (apparently will 'hook' /directly/ into the certain gamesto allow for things like auto-score recording via Agora Games integration)
- MLG Mad Catz controller - specs sent to Mad Catz, testing early in new year, replaceable components in controllers, same form factor for Xbox 360/PS3 (interesting)
- 3 main titles for 2011 is the plan (no follow-up on exactly what the titles are, but based on interview, almost certainly Halo Reach, Starcraft 2, and Black Ops)
- SSBB - will not be back on circuit in 2011; lack of support from Nintendo, hit or miss audience numbers, Mew2King issue didn't help, harder to get sponsors for as a result
- Might be doing something targeted towards female gamers (no specifics)
- Sponsors - no details until official announcement, some new additions, sponsor health 'very good', can't wait to introduce some of the new brands
Haven't listened to the podcast in its entirety myself so I'm not sure if this is 100% accurate.

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
Can't say I'm surprised really. It's unfortunate but oh well.

@above: It is accurate but they talk about M2K/ADHD first and then uses an example where him and his 7 year old son were basically appalled to the point where after the son heard the story, he wanted to sell his brawl game and then Sundance says that brawl will definitely not be on the circuit next year. Then he includes that it would've been hard regardless because of lack of support from Nintendo so sponsors were an issue.

Brawl part starts at 29:30

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Last time I checked the whole M2K thing never even happened, but sure, lets go with that I guess?

KageMurphy

Smash Master
And this is why we don't have MLG anyway.
What is that suppose to mean? I'm just listing events we still got even without them, I'm not being negative or saying I wouln't want the circuit back cause I would, WHAT YOU TRYING TO SAY MAN'G?!

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Pretty obvious it wasn't going to return. Lack of support from Nintendo probably being the main reason... and as mentioned, the M2K thing didn't help.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I'm still in shock Nintendo didn't support MLG at all.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
They don't care about competitive gaming man, all they care about is little kids, old people and their money.
They want to keep competitive brawl locked in a closet, well at least Sakurai does in my opinion.

AuraStUrm

Smash Journeyman
Well that's disappointing. Being on the circuit was a great thing for the Brawl community.

Edit: After listening to this, I am seriously pissed off over their handling of the M2K thing. How splitting prize money creates an environment that is "unfair" and "corrupt" is completely beyond me. I totally understand their decision from the lack of support from Nintendo and the hit-or-miss attendance, but as far as I can see, splitting prizes does not in any way defile competition. Maybe someone with more experience understands how splitting ruins competition, so if you do, kindly clarify it for me.

There. Venting done.

Cloudfox

Smash Ace
Why do I feel like the only one who didn't see Brawl coming back from the start...? Compared to Melee, many people don't even find the average Brawl match terribly entertaining at all to watch. Not to mention the everdrama surrounding rulesets and stagelists....never expected the main reason to be a splitting controversy, though.

It really bugs me that it was never acknowledged that this is just something top players in NJ/NY sometimes do to take the edge off, because high-level Brawl can get really dumb and stressful, and they simply forgot the kind of environment they were in at the time where that's not okay at all. Especially when you get to the "my 7-year-old son's heroes turned out to be villains and his dreams were crushed, way to go Brawl guys. >:(" part. >_<

Sails

Smash Ace
Compared to Melee, many people don't even find the average Brawl match terribly entertaining at all to watch.
When has chess ever been entertaining to watch? Brawl is a game of chess, capitalizing on each others mistakes. Other fighters are almost no different, where you get an opening and pull of some stupid muscle memory combo. It's just because it's not fast that it doesn't maintain the illusion of being "entertaining".

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
This is very unfortunate. :ohwell:

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
Why do I feel like the only one who didn't see Brawl coming back from the start...? Compared to Melee, many people don't even find the average Brawl match terribly entertaining at all to watch. Not to mention the everdrama surrounding rulesets and stagelists....never expected the main reason to be a splitting controversy, though.

It really bugs me that it was never acknowledged that this is just something top players in NJ/NY sometimes do to take the edge off, because high-level Brawl can get really dumb and stressful, and they simply forgot the kind of environment they were in at the time where that's not okay at all. Especially when you get to the "my 7-year-old son's heroes turned out to be villains and his dreams were crushed, way to go Brawl guys. >:(" part. >_<
They are dropping it because Nintendo does not want it on. It has nothing to do with the entertainment. The entertainment was fine.

please understand how to read.

You need that ability nowadays.

Cloudfox

Smash Ace
When has chess ever been entertaining to watch? Brawl is a game of chess, capitalizing on each others mistakes. Other fighters are almost no different, where you get an opening and pull of some stupid muscle memory combo. It's just because it's not fast that it doesn't maintain the illusion of being "entertaining".
Chess isn't and never would be an MLG-sponsored game, lol. Like I said, compared to Melee, it's often not that exciting to watch because it encourages being stupidly campy and patient, since movement speeds are slower, and the game tends to facilitate the punishing of moves OoS. It's a lot more mentally dynamic than physically, which can make it engaging to play, but not always so much to watch.

Edit:
They are dropping it because Nintendo does not want it on. It has nothing to do with the entertainment. The entertainment was fine.

please understand how to read.

You need that ability nowadays.
hit or miss audience numbers
Same to you, bro. :3

Kel

Smash Master
I'm personally more shocked that Sundance would even cite M2K and ADHD as a reason behind not bringing back our game. MLG Dallas was one of the most diverse and competitive tournaments that Brawl has seen. I find it hard that a businessman such as sundance would have such a myopic point of view when it comes to a mishap between two individual parties (ADHD and M2K). It's completely unfair that the entire community is punished for something we had no control over.

I understand the points about sponsors and attendance completely. I couldn't understand why each event wasn't selling out myself. I just feel like sundance and that VVV guy are making it personal- which shouldn't affect how business is run.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Cloudfox that has nothing to do with it. Never was mentioned. The matches at MLG were among the most entertaining and hyped of any game there. You are just bashing, get that out of this thread.

Lobos

Smash Master
This news is awesome

Activision/Sony offered up a 'couple hundred thousand' in prize money and staffing support to have CoD Black Ops on the circuit on the PS3; also Treyarch sounds like they're patching in LAN support for MLG

YESSSSSS

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Sounds like M2K and ADHD's little antics was the last straw for MLG. Pity. MLG was one of the few ways to get mains from all over the place to compete. Even with normal nationals, the majority is often people from around that area. Not a large enough pot to bring in as many people.

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
Chess isn't and never would be an MLG-sponsored game, lol. Like I said, compared to Melee, it's often not that exciting to watch because it encourages being stupidly campy and patient, since movement speeds are slower, and the game tends to facilitate the punishing of moves OoS. It's a lot more mentally dynamic than physically, which can make it engaging to play, but not always so much to watch.

Edit:

Same to you, bro. :3
im pretty sure lack of support from Nintendo

was more of a blow

than a hit or miss attendance

if hit or miss attendance was the only problem.... we would still be on the circuit.

Cloudfox

Smash Ace
I'm personally more shocked that Sundance would even cite M2K and ADHD as a reason behind not bringing back our game. MLG Dallas was one of the most diverse and competitive tournaments that Brawl has seen. I find it hard that a businessman such as sundance would have such a myopic point of view when it comes to a mishap between two individual parties (ADHD and M2K). It's completely unfair that the entire community is punished for something we had no control over.

I understand the points about sponsors and attendance completely. I couldn't understand why each event wasn't selling out myself. I just feel like sundance and that VVV guy are making it personal- which shouldn't affect how business is run.
Yeah, I hate that part too, but given the perspective they're apparently looking at it from, where it was some malicious scheme that makes competitive Smash (or just Brawl...?) look suspect, as opposed to a simple momentary lapse in judgment, I guess it's the only thing they can do to preserve their integrity. -_-
Cloudfox that has nothing to do with it. Never was mentioned. The matches at MLG were among the most entertaining and hyped of any game there. You are just bashing, get that out of this thread.
It wasn't my intention to bash, as there's more than enough of that from Melee players, heh. It just seems like not as many people like watching the average match compared with Melee, particularly in terms of getting people who weren't interested in competitive Smash already, and they did mention "less than stellar attendence" being an issue in the video, and a couple months ago in one of their press releases. And that with all the issues and controversy in competitive Brawl, there would be something at some point that would have MLG choose to take it back off. But I was never able to make it to an MLG event myself, soooo I'll just shut up and apologize on that part.

im pretty sure lack of support from Nintendo

was more of a blow

than a hit or miss attendance

if hit or miss attendance was the only problem.... we would still be on the circuit.
I recall MLG making note that they intended to drop Brawl if MLG Dallas attendance didn't cap a couple months ago. It sounds like it was everything together (the M2K and ADHD being the hugest, apparently....ugh) that made them decide they shouldn't keep it on, but I may be misinformed on some things so again I'll just say sorry and drop it.

D

Deleted member

- Throwback titles at different events (probably not of much interest to TL, but whatever) - Halo 2, GoW 1, DJ Hero (?)
Maybe Melee will make it back once or twice at events.

- SSBB - will not be back on circuit in 2011; lack of support from Nintendo, hit or miss audience numbers, Mew2King issue didn't help, harder to get sponsors for as a result
Sorry, Brawl players. Too bad this had to happen. =/

- Might be doing something targeted towards female gamers (no specifics)
COOKING MAMA!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom