• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sumting Sumting Maifa | Game Over

Deadbananas

Smash Journeyman
Hey bessie, thank you too for the kind words, I knew that puppy was too adorable to be trusted! I was wondering why I was a kill target night 1, since I was almost sure that only town would target me.

LaserGuy

Smash Ace
I could be mistaken, but my understanding is that Sabrar shot me since I had hinted in thread that I was probably VT. Mafia used factional kill on you to make it look like one kill came from Town and the other from scum.

Deadbananas

Smash Journeyman
Ah i see that makes sense, I was wondering if I might have accidentally let some clue that I had a PR slip, but that does seem like the most logical conclusion. I swallowed it whole lol.

Sabrar

Smash Ace
N1: we planned to kill Ran originally due to his reads but the replacement made it unnecessary
DB was killed because some of us thought he might be Vig. (Later the same was thought wrt both Handorin and Trisscar. Paranoid scum-team for the win.)
LaserGuy was killed to alleviate pressure on fonti's slot and because he would have argued that BoomFrog's townread on me was incorrect. Btw we didn't notice that you hinted VT.

N2: BoomFrog was killed because he was confirmed town

N3: Logic was the 'obvious' target for me to maintain cover.
There was no main reason for choosing Toko over others, it could have gone several ways leading to different end-game scenarios.

I apologize for not doing shout-outs but as BoomFrog said I was largely disengaged from thread due to having a cozy claim to hide behind. It justified me 'laying low' until D3 and after that I was no longer in any real danger.

somitomi

Smash Journeyman
cool, my name there is YOLOSWAG
Oh, another familiar name. Hi!

I wanted to spectate this just to see the familiar XKCD faces in action even if I couldn't play due to time constraints, but man, this thread blew up fast. The game ended less than a day ago and there's four pages of postgame already.

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
If people had problems with my roleplay I would ask that they message me here, so I can discuss it. Since I would like to continue doing the roleplay and I want to clarify it is in no way meant to offend anyone or sexualizing my character. Which mind you is already highly sexualized in the game she comes from.
I can't speak for others, I admit I found it jarring, but I also, uh, appreciate? the dedication to being 'in character'. I've seen a few hydras that take on a new persona and, man that's work! I honestly had no idea who you were.

Pythag - I'm really curious why you think I was scum when arguing against Xiivi. What part of it seemed unfair from me? Now that Xiivi is scum, can you say what I should have been saying instead? I did try to read the games Xiivi asked about. Although I feel like people just glossed over what I said and didn't really evaluate his play in this game. Sorry you got mislynched, but glad to play with you again. Now you know, I was trying something different, and I know it probably is harder for you and others to read me when I do it.
the fact that you were trying something different was fine, but it was the realization that I had no idea what either a scum ran or xivii game looked like that made me look over once again. Xivii's meta didn't line up with what you were claiming, and suddenly I was worried that you were taking me for a ride. Ironic that it was xivii who was doing that. in the midst of everything I was being swayed one way or the other, I really don't have a better reason. It was paranoia.

Pythag Pythag you're one of the funnest people to play with. You have an uplifting spirit and awesome talking through things with you (as both alignments). I found you suspicious up until D3, at which point I felt you became pretty obvtown, but I suppose I that may have been because of my intel.
Hahaha, thanks man. I get caught up and can't see the forest for the trees all the time, but I still enjoy playing and the social aspect of the game, especially when there are so many new people. I'm confused as to why you thought I was suspicious? Did you think there was a third party?

Ran - I doubted you. I should’ve known as soon as you voted for me that you were town and never looked back. I think determining that you and xivii were T v T ruined the rest of my days. I couldn’t make anything fit. Well done man, one of these days I’ll see you play scum and actually have some Meta I can work with.

Xivii - I should’ve known you would just lead me along by the nose. Always good to play with you. You had really solid argumentation, that drove me crazy cause I couldn’t figure anything out. Well played.

z25 - sorry about your grandmother. Thanks for playing, You played D1 so well, I never, not even once, suspected that you or Fonti was scum after that.

Fonti - you played it well. Not only had I never heard of a mafia Neapolitan, but you played it so well as a cop, I never had reason to doubt. Gg. I hope you play more!

Toko - (is this actually UP?) thanks for subbing in. I appreciated your insights, and thought you played a pretty clear town game. It was bold of you to play in a character too. That’s hard to do!

DB - we got played man. I’m interested that you thought I was town from early on, but I don’t think I wavered on you much after N1. You were pretty solidly town. I was glad to see you back here! I hope you’ll play another game!

LG - man, and I was actually thinking you were town early. Sorry you got snuffed out so early. You play well! Glad to see you in another game.

Malarkey - hey man, welcome to forum mafia! You had some good thoughts, I think you suffered from the same thing as me, you don’t know what you don’t even know! That can make strategizing and reading people really difficult. Hope you stick around here.

Bessie - a wise man once said “fool me once shame on you, fool me twice....fool me can’t get fooled again.” (GW Bush) well, I should’ve looked closer at your argumentation, tonally you were just so on point, so good job!

Jack - I screwed the pooch. D1 and D2 I was trying to figure out who was scum, you or boom. And I was totally misplaced. Paranoia got the better of me, until I decided to vote Xiivi with you. Sorry to frustrate you! It’s not my intention.

spak - my man, my ace in the hole. Thank you for being town.you had so many honest thoughts that lined up with what I was thinking, I was convinced of you because of your thought processes, and no one was gonna tell me otherwise. Gg.

Triss - even now you’ve fallen through the cracks! I couldn’t really get a read on you, and for the better part of the game I let paranoia dictate my moves. Forum mafia is soooo different than IRL mafia, but still fun! It’s just The same game with very different interpretations. Glad you could make it out here.

boomfrog - man, same thing as jack. I was so busy looking for how you’d be scum, I didn’t go back and look at your case on Sab. That mught have been a saving grace. You play super well! I liked reading your posts a lot.

3DS - you made it longer this time! I think your play was pretty consistant with your last game, such to the point that I was super certain of your towniness. I'm sorry you died so early though, that's a lot

Wiisp - talk about putting in legwork! you were a freaking hurricane to solve this game. It's really admirable, and I'm stoked to see how eager you are for people to get better at mafia. Your posts still crack me up. play again!

Hand - I feel like you played this game like The Comedian from Watchmen. Laughing all the way to the bank. Good to see you again, I'm sorry I don't remember your meta at all!

Sab - If you had not killed boom, I would’ve been swayed to go for you. Well played! Nice and low key. I need to pay better attention next time

logic - man, sorry you were seemingly always on the chopping block. I enjoyed your activity, even if I had a hard time deciphering it. Thanks for coming and playing!

glg - what else can be said about the absolute greatest player to ever grace smashboards. Thanks for your legendary presence.

Osie - Thanks for hosting the game! Very delightful, and also frustrating with how many things I didn't even know where possible in the game of mafia. Thanks for bringing all of this to Smashboards! Look forward to seeing you in game or hosting again.

Last edited:

LaserGuy

Smash Ace
The setup was... scumsided. (Surprise, surprise.) The vigilante was too strong for the roles that Town had. In particular, I shouldn't have made the kill driver regretful.
FWIW, I don't think this would have been anywhere near enough power to compensate for the Vig. Town needed to completely block 2-3 kills in an average game to keep the setup roughly even with a pure vanilla setup. Just transferring the kill to a different townie PR wouldn't be enough. That means a full doc or JK at minimum would have been required, and probably an additional secondary protective. I think with the PR distribution we had, you probably could have just dropped the vig and kept everything else the same and mafia would still have been okay.

Tsumugi Shirogane

Ultimate Cosplayer
Premium
N1: we planned to kill Ran originally due to his reads but the replacement made it unnecessary
DB was killed because some of us thought he might be Vig. (Later the same was thought wrt both Handorin and Trisscar. Paranoid scum-team for the win.)
LaserGuy was killed to alleviate pressure on fonti's slot and because he would have argued that BoomFrog's townread on me was incorrect. Btw we didn't notice that you hinted VT.

N2: BoomFrog was killed because he was confirmed town

N3: Logic was the 'obvious' target for me to maintain cover.
There was no main reason for choosing Toko over others, it could have gone several ways leading to different end-game scenarios.

I apologize for not doing shout-outs but as BoomFrog said I was largely disengaged from thread due to having a cozy claim to hide behind. It justified me 'laying low' until D3 and after that I was no longer in any real danger.
If you had not killed me. I would have pushed for your lynch the following day like I said I would and then once you flipped the cop was next.

osieorb18

Smash Ace
FWIW, I don't think this would have been anywhere near enough power to compensate for the Vig. Town needed to completely block 2-3 kills in an average game to keep the setup roughly even with a pure vanilla setup. Just transferring the kill to a different townie PR wouldn't be enough. That means a full doc or JK at minimum would have been required, and probably an additional secondary protective. I think with the PR distribution we had, you probably could have just dropped the vig and kept everything else the same and mafia would still have been okay.
I was thinking of adding a manipulative to town and making the vig 2-shot rather than odd-night, such that if it doesn't succeed it still loses a shot. Also dropping the vig would have hard-townsided the game.

Sabrar

Smash Ace
If you had not killed me. I would have pushed for your lynch the following day like I said I would and then once you flipped the cop was next.
Yes, we took that into consideration. From scum-chat:
"Toko will go back suspecting me because the two protective roles make a scum-vig more likely. "

Pythag Pythag
Was my play so forgettable that I don't get a shout-out? ;)
Guess that was my plan all along.

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
i didn’t forget you! Look! I certainly put you in the first time I wrote the post and didn’t edit it just now!

Last edited:

BoomFrog

Smash Lord
BoomFrog BoomFrog BoomFrog BoomFrog did you pick up that I was crumbing Mason or some sort with bessie? I always feel like I'm walking on eggshells around you as scum. It's frightening and exhausting.
Nah, the range of possible things a Xivii would do is pretty large so I hadn't tried to narrow it down. For future reference you will no longer get townie points for displays of emotion. You have been warned.

Even after I died I was still stuck on you being town because of your reaction to fontisian fontisian releasing the info that I'm a PR. The fact that, that was S-S interaction is very impressive. Hats off to both of you.

Thanks to everyone for a well played game. I don't have the energy for a full shout out list but I had fun and I hope you did too. I'll probably be back in a few days.

Last edited:
Top Bottom