• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Summer of Smash: Week #4 - CEO, Karisuma 8, Xanadu

sedrf

Smash Journeyman
Any notable japanese players visiting ceo.

Smash at Xanadu 155 (June 21st) (MD/VA) (156 Entrants) (Category 1)
1st: Nietono :4diddy:, :4sheik:, :4cloud2:
2nd: Angel Cortes :4diddy:
3rd: Puppeh :4sheik:
4th: Wadi :4mewtwo:, :4rob:
5th: Sova Unknown :4link:
5th: BlazingPasta :4peach:,:4ness:
7th: Pink Fresh :4bayonetta:
7th: Dexter :4corrinf:
9th: Mister Eric :4rob:
9th: Seagull Joe :4sonic:
9th: ZD :4luigi:
9th: Umeki :4peach:
13th: Zephyr :4cloud2:
13th: Logic :4olimar:
13th: JeBB :4lucas:
13th: INC Snow :4marth:
DAT BlastZone 12, 78 entrants - London, UK

1) Ixis :4sonic:
2) Khanage :4peach:
3) Elexiao :4greninja::4pacman:
4) Homika :rosalina:
5) Smashbound :4ness:
5) Matsu :4corrinf::4marth:
7) C.R.Z. :4fox:
7) SilentDoom :4cloud2::4charizard:
Dream Match 2, 92 entrants - Chile

1) Harlonga :4wario:
2) Phantom :4metaknight::4diddy::4pacman:
3) Firehao :4diddy::4ryu:
4) Keen :4fox:
5) Fast! :4sonic:
5) Merci :4mario::4jigglypuff::4myfriends:
7) LinkEa :4link:
7) Dertolo :4diddy::4greninja::4falcon:

*Characters are based off Chilean power rankings, I didn't watch this tournament*

Last edited by a moderator:

Illuminose

Smash Ace
Any notable japanese players visiting ceo.
Nietono:4diddy::4sheik::substitute:
Rain:4cloud::4sheik::4diddy:
Abadango:4mewtwo::4metaknight:?? (who knows what character Aba will go for Diddy, he's talked Rosa or Pac but idk)
Umeki:4peach:

So basically, 3 people who could definitely make top 8 (Nietono/Abadango/Rain) are coming and then there's Umeki, a wild card that could potentially end up doing quite well depending on how his bracket and everything works out.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Das Koopa Das Koopa Xanadu today has Umeki, RAIN, and Nietono. There are also a lot of people here lol.

Might count in your system?

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
148 participants so absolutely yes

Illuminose

Smash Ace
This Xanadu has a lot of people going. In addition to Umeki/Rain/Nietono, it's featuring Angel Cortes + MDVA's best (Seagull/Pink Fresh/Boss) as well as most of MDVA's PR + Max Ketchum/BlazingPasta/Snakeee. Unlike most Xanadus, this is an event to watch.

NNID
User7a1
Just reading up on Xanadu's Smash 4 history, S@X 155 (156 entrants) is their biggest weekly since S@X 100 (146 entrants).
Really wondering how they're pulling monthly-number entrants.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
ANTi, Trevonte, and Cosmos are late withdrawals from CEO
Pity. I actually really wanted to see what Shulk and Corrin could do outside of their region. Particularly since apparently one of Corrin's major results last weekend was due to them managing to only fight locals the whole way through so it kinda dilutes things? And Anti is always entertaining to watch.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Disgaea came extremely close to 2-1ing Rain, last stock last hit. He used Game & Watch.

NNID
User7a1
And no 9s? I mean, 9s are great (and super satisfying to land) but they can skew individual matchup analyses.

Rain still uses Sheik right?
Rain went Cloud for the first game (lost), then went Diddy for the last 2.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Rain just lost to Puppeh :4sheik: 2 - 0

Puppeh is only thirteen years old.

T H I R T E E N.

:150:

Last edited:

Djent

Smash Champion
Rain always underperforms stateside. For all the times he's come here, IIRC he only has one top 8 singles finish to show for it. That was at Apex 2010 when he still played Falco. I'm not sure what it is, but it's a consistent trend.

EDIT: Seagull Joe lost as well. So now we have Puppeh vs. BlazingPasta to get into top 8 winners side. lmao

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
SoVa is coming out in force. Also, Link looking like a good character.

AnEventHorizon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aneventhorizon
Sova Unknown (Link) 2-0s Umeki (Peach) in Winner's Quater's at Xanadu. No SDs, super rage kills, or anything here. Projectiles/ threat of zair really seemed to prevent free floats for movement or otherwise. I know Rain is often talked of having troubles stateside, but I haven't ever heard the same for Umeki.

Umeki was scarily good at catching bombs though. Every time he caught a bomb I became afraid of what he might do with it, but Link's rather short fuse (compared to TL) didn't let much come of it.

Last edited:

Aaron1997

Smash Ace
NNID
Aaron1318
Another Upset Sova over Umeki :4link: > :4peach:

This is Huge for Link
Another thing is in his Bracket Run Sova beat C3PO :4diddy: and Vanity :4gaw: who btw also beat Ally Recently

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
not really peach hates disjoints of any kind. and one of the wins was a dbz split peach just died first. i cant believe umeki let game one go to lylat

Djent

Smash Champion
Can you believe that 2 out of Rain, Seagull Joe, and Pink Fresh won't finish top 8? And that winners semis is Puppeh vs. a Link? What a Xanadu.

juddy96

Smash Lord
Rain placed higher at Apex than Xanadu. And people say Xanadu isn't a major. /s

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
Umeki got read like a book offstage. I don't know why he tried to go for so many fairs off the edge when Dexter respected his range each time and punished with fair/bair.

Dexter eliminates Umeki 2-0 with :4corrinf:

Do we know anything about this Corrin though? Is he MD/VA?

juddy96

Smash Lord
All 3 of the Japanese players thought it would be a single elim fun tourney with no prize money. They are very tired and were shocked when they heard they had to play in losers. Not joking. Straight off of their twitters

Last edited:

JustSomeScrub

Smash Journeyman
Weirdly enough some top players were discussing just this on twitter recently and Mr R is apparently the only other one they agreed on with his worst loss being DKWill at smashcon right after the big Dk buffs
Is he coming to CEO? There is still time Kappa.

But nah congrats to him as well then.

The hardest thing about Smash 4 definitely seems to be consistency. It's getting a little ridiculous now. How anyone can lose to anyone these days.

A well designed competitive game should not have so much variance. The better player should almost always win.

Some argue it's it being 2 stocks. Idk if that's true. A lot of these upsets are 2-0s, 3-0s etc.

Last edited:

Jehtt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TurboJett
All 3 of the Japanese players thought it would be a single elim fun tourney with no prize money. They are very tired and were shocked when they heard they had to play in losers. Not joking. Straight off of their twitters
Any idea how this confusion came about? Were they told this would be the case? Are single elim fun tourneys common in Japan?

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
I've heard this 2 times now.

Please source this, I've checked all 3 of their twitters and heard none of the first section.

JustSomeScrub

Smash Journeyman

Please source this, I've checked all 3 of their twitters and heard none of the first section.
I'm having trouble believing this as well.

Nietono and Rain have been travelling to the US since Brawl. Are you seriously telling me all those times they never realized the standard overseas is double elimination? Why would they assume it was single when no major tourny over here in NA does this?

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
They did say they were tired though, so the second part checks out.

Jucchan

Smash Journeyman
I'm having trouble believing this as well.

Nietono and Rain have been travelling to the US since Brawl. Are you seriously telling me all those times they never realized the standard overseas is double elimination? Why would they assume it was single when no major tourny over here in NA does this?

"what... there's a loser's bracket?"
"Suddenly got told that there was a loser's bracket, lost anyways and now I'm done"

Last edited:

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
I find it hard to believe they would think that a Xanadu, one of the most known weeklies out there, was a single elimination fun tournament.

Jucchan

Smash Journeyman
I find it hard to believe they would think that a Xanadu, one of the most known weeklies out there, was a single elimination fun tournament.
The concept of weeklies doesn't even exist in Japan. If it's not a regional/national, it's for fun.

Top Bottom