• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Summary of Falco's strengths?

Maruken

Smash Rookie
NNID
Moraken
So I've been reading up on the forums but all I've seen so far are threads on his weaknesses and how to deal with them, which is great. But so far I don't know what kind of fighter Falco is. I've been treating him as a combo fighter because his lasers seem subpar in this game and I haven't found a good use for them aside from edge guarding or laser lock, but I feel like I'm missing the point of this character.

Could someone clarify this as well as leave a summary of Falco's strengths (or link a thread that I probably missed)?

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
I play him as a spacer, SH bairs, ftilts, dtilts, maybe the odd Reflector, just zoning around trying to create opportunities. You can get some pretty heavy conversions off grabs, dtilts, and (to a lesser extent) utilts.

As far as strengths go, I would say:
  • Long combos and pretty strong moves. Like I said, you get heavy conversions.
  • Edgeguarding. He's not as good at this as other characters, but he's certainly a contender. Fair is just great, dair gives you stocks if you make the read. Not the best, but he's good at it.
  • Grab game. Pretty average grab, but a kill throw, perfectly serviceable "GTF off the stage" fthrow, and two combo throws mean he can deal with shield damn well.
You may have noticed all of these strengths affect only his punish game. This is why Falco kinda sucks. He has a sweet punish game but not a whole lot else, so you gotta space around and be patient until you catch them slipping and can get a grab or dtilt combo going. Problem is that our spacing tools aren't much good lol.

knu_OOKA

Smash Cadet
NNID
ukah19
3DS FC
5370-0495-9774
I play him as a spacer, SH bairs, ftilts, dtilts, maybe the odd Reflector, just zoning around trying to create opportunities. You can get some pretty heavy conversions off grabs, dtilts, and (to a lesser extent) utilts.

As far as strengths go, I would say:
  • Long combos and pretty strong moves. Like I said, you get heavy conversions.
  • Edgeguarding. He's not as good at this as other characters, but he's certainly a contender. Fair is just great, dair gives you stocks if you make the read. Not the best, but he's good at it.
  • Grab game. Pretty average grab, but a kill throw, perfectly serviceable "GTF off the stage" fthrow, and two combo throws mean he can deal with shield damn well.
You may have noticed all of these strengths affect only his punish game. This is why Falco kinda sucks. He has a sweet punish game but not a whole lot else, so you gotta space around and be patient until you catch them slipping and can get a grab or dtilt combo going. Problem is that our spacing tools aren't much good lol.
Gimme usable lasers and I'd be set.

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
Yeah Falco's biggest strengths come from his spacing at close range.

Most match-up will require you to stay back, move slowly, and watch what your opponent will try to come at you with.
RAR'd bairs, jabs, tilts, and the occasional nair are his best options for spacing. Lasers are only used to annoy your opponent, unless Samurai decides they should have another buff. I just throw them out every once in a while I notice my opponent is't trying to run into my face.
Falco has one of the best bairs in the game, and approaching with a RAR'd one is his best option.

Snipnigth

Smash Journeyman
I dont think autocancel lasers will ever be back, but he should have lower ending lag on it so he can efectively use it to zone and space ppl out without the risk of been punished so easily.

Top Bottom