• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Summary - Moves that Jab Lock

ScherzoGavotte

Smash Rookie
TL;DR: Jab 1, Fair, F-Smash, Purple D-Smash, and Nair can all Jab Lock under the right conditions.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Captains. I've seen the question "Which moves can Olimar Jab Lock with?" multiple times with sometimes partial and/or incorrect information reported. Here I will settle this by creating a post that everyone can reference for this info. Please share it with those who are seeking the information! With that said, here's the summary of my findings:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jab 1
Enemy percent: 0%-999%

Conditions: Must be close to opponent
To pull off multiple Jab 1 locks in a row, I'd recommend walking as fast as possible without running before Jabbing. You can see in the gfycat above that Olimar slides just a bit if he walks prior to Jab 1. You can pull this off the traditional way (Walk --> Release Analogue Stick --> Neutral Attack) or you can have your C-stick set to Attack. With this configuration, you just need to Walk and then hit one of the diagonal angles on the C-stick (which causes a Neutral A to be performed instead of a directional attack). This takes practice, but I find it has a higher success rate as you do not need to let go of the analogue stick for this to work.
Fair
Enemy percent: Pikmin color dependent

Conditions: Nothing extra

|Pikmin Color | Max Percent
_ | Red | 8%
_ |Yellow | 9%
_ |Blue | 9%
_ |White | 14%
_ |Purple | 4%

*These percents apply to Mario in Training Mode. You may extend the max percent range with Stale moves, or decrease it with Rage.
F-Smash
Enemy Percent: Pikmin Color Dependent

Conditions: Distance/Hitbox Dependent

|Pikmin Color | Close Hitbox | Middle Hitbox | Far Hitbox
_ |Red | 0% | 1% | 12%
_ |Yellow | 0% | 1% | 12%
_ |Blue | 0% | 1% | 12%
_ |White | 0% | 7% | 17%
_ |Purple | 0% | 0% | 4%
*These percents apply to Mario in Training Mode. You may extend the max percent range with Stale moves, or decrease it with Rage.
If you didn't already know, F-Smash has 3 unique hitboxes depending on how far away your opponent is. The closest hitbox cannot generate a Jab-lock, but the middle and farthest ones can! Please note that Purple F-Smash far hitbox is quite hard to connect.

D-Smash (Purple)
Enemy Percent: 0-999%

Conditions: Purple only, must connect with Far hitbox
D-Smash also has multiple hitboxes: Close and Far. Close Purple D-Smash cannot lock, but Far Purple D-Smash can. Note, just like F-Smash, it is REALLY hard to pull off this, and I was very lucky to have recorded pratfalls in an actual game. (Any move that causes Pratfall can cause Jab Lock, just to be clear).

Nair
Enemy Percent: 0-999%

Conditions: Must connect with enemy underneath platforms after they miss a tech.
The gfycat here is from this larger post that explains the interaction and a potential set-up into it in more detail. Essentially, after an opponent misses a tech on a platform, you can SH-Nair with (likely) any of the Hits 1-4 of Nair to generate a Lock. If you get 4 or more hits though, you reset their stance. The 5th hit of Nair will knock them away from the platform, and so does not work in this set up.

Thanks everyone! Please share this info with those who are asking this question. If any info you see here is incorrect, please let me know. I hope you guys can find some sick set-ups with these too (there are definitely more out there than I have elicited). As always, keep on plucking!

Last edited:
Top Bottom