• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sumabato RB (West Japan) - Koto (Thunders) wins Sumabato #18

Dax

Smash Journeyman
yeah, it's kou from japan. he's been slipping lately in the japanese rankings so good luck to him.his sheik's good, but his falco is really weird and maybe not technical enough to keep up with tight shield pressure. it kinda reminds me of faab's falco, but much weirder. faab can handle pressure so who knows.
somebody mentioned kei going, but I highly doubt it.
Hey thanks JOS for the updates. I'll catch up in the first page when I have time. Nice to see Koto back. Also Jun is Farusu.

I think it will be not easy for Kou to even get to the bracket. He isn't even top 3 in japan right now.
He's falco is just a very spammy falco which is somewhat parent to Hiko's. Hiko did good in the USA but now the metagame is much more technical. Faab is surely better.
If Mach Dash and TANI were going that would've been quite different :)

Dimitris: last Hoshikabi's DK vids are from Sumabato 2 I think check in first page

FireFly

Smash Lord
Don't know if it's the same guy, but there's a Kou registered for Genesis.
Japan at a Melee international, that's been a while, no?
Kou is teaming with my friend Shoyo from Hawaii. I hope these Japanese kids make it far!

Dimitris

Smash Ace
Hey Dax, you seem to know a lot about these guys, who would you say is present top 5 / top 10 in Japan?

Dax

Smash Journeyman
Kou is teaming with my friend Shoyo from Hawaii. I hope these Japanese kids make it far!
It's not like I want to break your heart but...
Japan doesn't even play team

gl with that XD

Dimitris: I think JOS summed it up pretty well although I would put Farusu instead of MARS and adding Koto.
If I can be really honest, I don't know why people keep losing to Souten though :D.

Since Captain Jack and Masashi don't play anymore the top quality dropped and basically left 2 players only that could do well in the US. If you want a comparation, I'd imagine TANI to do pretty much what Dahean did at Pound 5 or a little better and Mach Dash, well, I don't know, you don't see him playing seriously often so it's honestly really hard to tell.

In the past Japan was also interesting for many strong low tier mains (Fumi, Aniki, Brown Mario, Kaito, Masashi's roy, etc). There should be some matches against Ken around.

Last, there haven't been many new players like it happened in the US. If you read the title topic infact that's West Japan. I have no idea if east japan does even play anymore (bombsoldier, disk, etc) otherwise the ranking could be different:\

Dimitris

Smash Ace
Thanks for the answers.

Yeah, I was wondering about the east of Japan before... Probably pretty dead since there's no videos.

Dax

Smash Journeyman
LOLL I have no idea how he managed to win

guess he took it personal :awesome:

Nice to see other Usa player there aside Toph and gg to him
also I think Andreas is a friend of Vish?

also, an UK player (frugs) and a player from Australia (not sure who)

Also, almost 60 people attended this edition :)
I'll update the first page soon, FOR REAL XD

Complete results are:

1) Kou
2) MachDash
3) Vish
4) Kei
5) D2
5) Hoshikabi
7) Farusu
7) MARS
etc

On the site it is reported that Vish said "Mach Dash is my hero" lol

The SubEvent was a Team Tournament

1st Kei & Kokutou
2nd MachDash & Aoi
3rd Farusu & Hoshikabi
4th Toph & Vish

vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iM3AhR5_gQ Grand final: Mach dash vs Kou
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iHOUSto-gk Loser Final : Mach dash vs Vish
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsePa_ggQDQ winner final: Kou vs Vish
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucoYQkpZDMg winner semi: kou vs d2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSICiOEhAMU Loser Semi: Mach Dash vs Kei

if you want to see team just click on the links at the veery end of this page i'm too lazy http://smashbrothers.org/tournament/dx/17/

Dax

Smash Journeyman
Nah lol don't get your expectations higher. It's good that he beat Mach Dash and Vish at this round but I think he can make it to the bracket if an honest seeding is used but nothing more. He still double jumps in some stupid situations and does some awful DIs. I think battlefield was a big help in GF though (and they did not use Dave's rule) but he still deserved to win.
Also remember that he used to play FD only for like.. forever?

You can definitely see when Sumabatos are serious stuff or sandbag crap though :)

Dimitris

Smash Ace
Too late, expectations higher. :)

Does the word 'sumabato' actually mean something?

Violence

Smash Lord
Romanizations:
Smash = Sumasshu
Battle = Batoru

A common way to abbreviate in Japanese is to take the first two syllabes from each word.

Smash Battle therefore is shortened to:

SumaBato!

Dimitris

Smash Ace
So from what I gathered from Genesis updates:

Kou got to round 3 of pools?

Lost 2-1 to HugS
and won against Dart.

Not too bad.

Anyone has more info?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Yeah Kou was in my 3rd round pool but Hugs wasn't in it.

It was me him tope fly dart juce c!z and I think someone else I'm not sure.

I also recorded a money match with him(bo7 all FD) since he came to my room and brought his setup and everything. That guy is very dedicated and respectful. I like him. =)

Dimitris

Smash Ace
Thanks for the info. Kou vs HugS was round 1, a bit odd.

How did the money match go, PP?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Thanks for the info. Kou vs HugS was round 1, a bit odd.

How did the money match go, PP?
I 4-0'd him(all FD by his request) but I don't think any of the games were **** except maybe game 1 IIRC.

Kou's a pretty smart guy.

a better question was did you play your $50 MM with mango's puff.
No LOL but I would've tapped. Mango's puff is old school lmao I 3 stocked it.

strawhats

Smash Master
lol so basically, you 3 stocked his puff, while you were sick and possibly playing at your lowest level of play in months. Yep, looks like he would've gone fox/falco against you had you beaten shroomed. I have this feeling, not to discredit taj, that mango lost in winners all for the sake of playing you in losers. Just a feeling though.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I actually played some of my best Melee against Mango(at times). His Puff didn't do a good job of stopping it is all lol.

But yeah he'd have given me the spacies no doubt.

strawhats

Smash Master
My thing was that the MM was gonna be a barometer for mango to see whether it was worth it to play puff against you in GFs (that was my/most people's assumptions based on how you've been ****** **** up this year as well as mango being mango). Unfortunately that hype GFs will have to wait till either that Louisiana tournament next month (assuming mango is really salty about losing to Armada and wants dat quick revenge).

Also after playing mango/hbox's puff, would you say its a fare statement that Hbox is the best puff in the world at this point in the metagame?

Also, was it fly's style/your sickness/or a lack of depth in the ICs mu knowledge on your part that contributed to a loss?
(Same thing with taj, except im pretty sure you're well versed with marth's metagame, so I guess it's a matter of taj's level of comfort with the MU or you not feeling as if you played your best)

Sorry for all these Questions.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Yeah Hbox definitely has the best Puff in the current metagame but Mango could bring his back if he really wanted to I think.

I would've done way better if I wasn't sick, yeah lol.

I'm kinda unfamiliar vs ICs and with solid Marths that know how to fight Falco especially but I was falling apart to stuff like the crowd(for me vs Taj) and my own self doubt when I couldn't perform like I wanted to so all I know is it happened and I want to try again later.

joeplicate

Smash Master
kou was in my rd 2 pools at genesis

the first match i think i caught him off guard, i kept getting him with shine oos, don't think he was used to it. it felt like i was gonna 4 stock him, ended up like a high 3 stock.

before cp'ing the 2nd match, he took a long pause. i banned fd, and he proceeded to take me to stadium and shoot a ****load of lasers at me LOL. he won that game with a 1 or 2 stock iirc.

3rd game i went to yoshi's story because i wanted to fight him up close. it was a super close and hyped up match, i won like last stock last hit when i bair'd him recovering high.

what was interesting was that his playstyle totally changed between game 1 and 2; he got me pretty frustrated with his lasers, and then read my approaches very well. his neutral-hit game is really really on-point, but i feel like his playstyle is imbalanced towards long range fighting.

overall he seems like a smart and solid player though, really fun set and much respect for the dood :)

:phone:

Divinokage

Smash Legend
kou was in my rd 2 pools at genesis

the first match i think i caught him off guard, i kept getting him with shine oos, don't think he was used to it. it felt like i was gonna 4 stock him, ended up like a high 3 stock.

before cp'ing the 2nd match, he took a long pause. i banned fd, and he proceeded to take me to stadium and shoot a ****load of lasers at me LOL. he won that game with a 1 or 2 stock iirc.

3rd game i went to yoshi's story because i wanted to fight him up close. it was a super close and hyped up match, i won like last stock last hit when i bair'd him recovering high.

what was interesting was that his playstyle totally changed between game 1 and 2; he got me pretty frustrated with his lasers, and then read my approaches very well. his neutral-hit game is really really on-point, but i feel like his playstyle is imbalanced towards long range fighting.

overall he seems like a smart and solid player though, really fun set and much respect for the dood :)

:phone:
Oh ya I saw that set, it was super close omg.. lol. I definitely felt the tension and the hype when you guys played =P

Tamoo

Smash Master
Anyone know when the next tournament in Japan is? / Knows who I can contact? /A link to something, I can get it translated.

In Japan September time and wanna represent the UK better than Frugs does.

Dimitris

Smash Ace
Upcoming: DX 18th Sumabato - 2011/08/28

(link is in the first post)

PS: gogogo MachDash

Dax

Smash Journeyman

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
are you ****in' serious, FD only still!? Does your community not see how much you guys are missing out on..so much excitement platforms provide, not to mention having more than one level is alot more fun..

you also learn alot about the game from platforms, and you learn alot of new techskill ideas from it too.

i just don't see any benefit whatsoever to FD only..especially the players who could just be chain grabbing all day.

let's not forget when you guys come to america, players like KOU have to suffer when everyone knows to just ban FD against him and give him a much harder time..

makes me so sad watching this community live in the past

TheZhuKeeper

Smash Champion
are you ****in' serious, FD only still!? Does your community not see how much you guys are missing out on..so much excitement platforms provide, not to mention having more than one level is alot more fun..

you also learn alot about the game from platforms, and you learn alot of new techskill ideas from it too.

i just don't see any benefit whatsoever to FD only..especially the players who could just be chain grabbing all day.

let's not forget when you guys come to america, players like KOU have to suffer when everyone knows to just ban FD against him and give him a much harder time..

makes me so sad watching this community live in the past
calmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm down.

did you not watch mach dash vs sheik on Hyrule?!

love that man. wish more Melee players were like him.

Dimitris

Smash Ace
MachDash powershielding Kou's lasers is so satisfying to watch. Some day... :teeth:

(Yo Dax, there's something up with the dates in the first post: #7 and #8 + #14, #15 and #16 have the same dates)

Strife

Banned via Warnings
Whatever happened to Tani? I haven't heard anything about him since the 8th Sumabato.

Dimitris

Smash Ace
Sumabato 19 was Wednesday 11/23/2011:

No spoilers:

Grand finals: video 1 / 2
Losers finals: video
Losers semi-finals: video
Losers quarter-finals: video
Losers quarter-finals: video
Winners finals: video

[COLLAPSE=Spoilers]Grand finals: Koto :foxmelee: vs Souten :marthmelee:/:foxmelee: 1 / 2
Losers finals: Koto :foxmelee: vs MachDash :falconmelee:
Losers semi-finals: Kokutou :sheikmelee: vs Koto :foxmelee:
Losers quarter-finals: Koto :foxmelee: vs Hoshikabi :sheikmelee:
Losers quarter-finals: Martan ? :peachmelee: vs Kokutou :sheikmelee:
Winners finals: Souten :foxmelee: vs MachDash :falconmelee:

1: Koto
2: Souten
3: MachDash
4: Kokutou
5: Hoshikabi
5: Martan ?[/COLLAPSE]

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
do you know if they have the capability of livestreaming? I would love to see that live.

and once again, MD sandbags his way into second place. (thirty seconds of just stomping + 4 fsmashes in a row + trying to knee the fire of sheik's upb constantly + never grabbing the ledge as an obvious edgeguard + http://youtu.be/3cg0nVxENSM?t=8m54s)

a player named Flash won. who is he?

Top Bottom