• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Suggestions for Classic 9.0 with no customs?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Hindsight being 20:20, I rather foolishly wasted one of my golden hammers on the challenge where you have to get a certain score with Pac-Man in one round by hitting the bomb off the back wall (this was before I realized that there would be Youtube videos showing you exactly how to complete every Target Blast/Home Run Contest challenge) since it sounded overly complicated, so now I have do to this the normal way. The reward for this is fairly underwhelming, but it's also the only trophy that I'm missing, so I want to complete this challenge at the very least.

The AI on 9.0 seems borderline psychic; every time I attack, they either dodge, block, or (in worst cases, since it's practically an automatic KO at that difficulty) counter the moment before it hits (I generally avoid fighting characters with counters for that reason, but there are times when I'm forced to), and automatically know which crates/capsules to avoid and which ones to go after. (in one case, they threw me into a Hocotate Bomb the exact moment that it landed)

On the rare occasions where I can get past the normal fights, I either get stuck on the Mii fighters (as it turns out, 5 vs. 1 is not fun; they aren't at Cruel Smash levels, but still very frustrating) or Master Core (the beast's attack where he goes into the background and bites the stage comes out faster than I can possibly react, and all of the forms seem to get massive health boosts).

Does anyone have any tips for this? So far, I've had the most success with heavyweights like Ganondorf and Bowser (got the farthest with Bowser - up to the shadow doppelganger part of Master Core), but I haven't gotten to Master Fortress with anyone yet.

Last edited:

David Wonn

Smash Ace
Your instincts are correct to go with heavyweights to make this challenge easier. See my tips I posted, coincidentally one year ago today, regarding why Wario and DK were the easiest characters to complete both this challenge and the one-life challenge as well. Later on, I beat this challenge with the two characters you attempted, along with several others.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
O_O Wario's bike ignores the acid? I wouldn't have thought of that!

I tried two unsuccessful runs with Ike (furthest I got with him was the Mii fighters), though I didn't think that Wario would be heavy enough. (I've never looked into statistics, but I figured he'd be on the lighter end of the heavyweights) Would the same strategy that you described for Wario be used in the no customs run?

Krubby

Smash Cadet
I've completed 9.0 classic with every character and I found it by far the easiest against master core when i had characters with poewrful aeriels that let me stay mobile along with the ability to stay off stage for a while to avoid attacks. In my opinion, the best characters for this are Dedede, Jigglypuff, Kirby and Peach.

Top Bottom