• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Suggestion to make level 9 bots not play like scumbags

XxSmashM4sterxX

Smash Cadet
Not sure if I'm in the correct forums for this, but if I'm not I would appreciate it if a staff member would move it for me.

When I first started playing the game, I could only win against bots level 4 and below. Recently, I've been steadily increasing the level and after about two days I've reached level 9.

The way that the level 9 bots play is just horridly disgusting. They just spam they same exact combo or projectile again, and again, and again, and again, until they're read to launch you out of the arena. I'm not just complaining because it's somewhat difficult to fight or even get close to something that continually spams the same thing, I also find this to be terribly unfun and in no way enjoyable.

Some examples of this are Mr. G&W who literally does nothing but throw food at you until you come close enough to be hit by the frying pan. Out of all the ones I've faced, this guy seems like the most benign on the group.

Pit does basically the same thing, kiting around with those homing arrows and then slashing around once you get close which results in you being knocked back and the cycle repeating itself.

Sonic... Oh man, is this one infuriating. From the second the fight starts, he just goes in a ball and speeds towards you at 500 miles per hour. The only counterplay to this is to either be shielding 24/7 or to become Jesus himself and grab him in the middle of the roll, which isn't as easy as it sounds. It does quite a bit of damage too, so you're going to drop pretty fast. Sonic is definitely the worst out of all of these guys, without even needing a projectile to do so.

All Marth ever does is do a short jump and then use his strangely long ranged melee attacks to hit you. I had a really hard time enjoying this one, I gotta say.

I guess what annoys me most about this is that from what I've seen, most players don't actually play like this. They play like decent, normal human beings instead of spam bots. I've been trying to get better at the game through the use of level 9 bots, but this isn't at all preparing me for For Glory mode where most people don't play like cheap, dirty scum-muffins. Maybe it's my mistake for thinking the hardest difficulty could help me do better against real people...

Whew, now that I've said all that I feel much better. Feel free to flame and insult me in the comments, I'll just be sitting atop my 10-story mansion, burning 100 dollar bills and throwing them down to the ground where a cluster of servants are eagerly trying to find one that is mostly intact.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Lv 9 bots are stupids because they basically read your inputs, resulting in almost always perfect shielding, dodges and counter attacks.
It's basically how no normal human being could ever react, therefore I am not ashamed to admit that, when I play bots, I always set the level to 8.
It's more fun that way, trust me. 9 is just way too excessive with the perfect shielding/dodging

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
Dodge. Attack at the right time when there're vulnerable. Mostly try to know their movesets. Level 9 characters except peach and greninja are too easy for me. Even the challange. All i did was face them 10 times to get used to their moves and know the right time to attack. Good luck!

Last edited:

Lus146

Smash Cadet
I would recommend playing against level 8 bots most of the time unless you have people to play with. If you're trying to get to a competitive level, playing against only bots will give you really bad habits because all you need to do is roll against bots but real people will be able to read that a lot better. Good luck!

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
Level 9s do play like scumbags. You have probably seen Level 9 Ganon's use down b over and over. Same thing goes for wario, who spams the wario bike. This is the reason I play the Wii U a lot more than the 3DS; in the Wii U, the level 9s are actually pretty good, actually. They can trigger from frustration, but a big challenge. But for level 9s on the 3DS, it's the whole opposite. Those are easy to beat, spammy, and just... y'know.

Also, on For Glory there's a lot of good players. But trust me: At least 60% or 50% of for glory players are little macs that spam dash attack...

Last edited:

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
Obviously, you've never met Lvl. 9 Luigi :4luigi:

:006:

Also, on For Glory there's a lot of good players. But trust me: At least 60% or 50% of for glory players are little macs that spam dash attack...
Just camp the ledge and wait for the dash attack (or side B. They aaaaaaaaaalways use side B) Then Bthrow them off. After that, all ya gotta do is hit them once and they can't recover. Good luck :grin:

:009:

Btw If i had to say what For Glory is it's:

30% Captain Falcon - Spams Dash Grab

20% Ganondorf - Side B Dtilt Side B Ditilt Side B Side B Side B Dtilt Dair

20% Little Mac - Always attacks and never grabs

10% Mario & Luigi - Usually decent players

10% Link - Camp dat ledge yo

10% Other

Last edited:

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
Obviously, you've never met Lvl. 9 Luigi :4luigi:

Just camp the ledge and wait for the dash attack (or side B. They aaaaaaaaaalways use side B) Then Bthrow them off. After that, all ya gotta do is hit them once and they can't recover. Good luck :grin:

:009:

Btw If i had to say what For Glory is it's:

30% Captain Falcon - Spams Dash Grab

20% Ganondorf - Side B Dtilt Side B Ditilt Side B Side B Side B Dtilt Dair

20% Little Mac - Always attacks and never grabs

10% Mario & Luigi - Usually decent players

10% Link - Camp dat ledge yo

10% Other
Thanks for the tip; I don't play for glory a lot, but I'm sure it'll help.
Yeah, Little Macs don't grab. Little Mac doesn't have good grab range, and his throws aren't good either.

Born in 1839...

Smash Apprentice
The hell? Are level 9's really that hard to beat? I remember my sister and her friend could take them out. And my sister is very mediocre at the game.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Level 9 Diddys are ****ing annoying. They spam side smash, up smash, and peanuts. That is pretty much it.

MrChickenNipples

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4485-0725-3171
Level 9 Peach is definitely one I have trouble with, usually you just have to punish against level 9's every chance you get, but the level 9 Wario bot is too funny, almost every time I go against him he SD's with his own down special on the top blast zone, also level 9 dark pit on omega Brinstar sometimes just flat out side specials off the ledge and SDs.

Diagonal_Smash

Smash Apprentice
NNID
YayConformity
3DS FC
5069-4015-5843
Level 9s are easy to beat because they're predictable, but I do hate their reactions that don't seem human. Aren't they supposed to emulate a human opponent? They just read your imputs and react accordingly in frames. I can't bait an airdodge against them. because they only dodge the FRAME my attack comes out. Because of this. they also perfect shield in a ridiculous fashion. I've played as fox and had them perfect shield an entire stream of lazers, and my jabs.

They're just bad practice for real play. Not hard though.

Are you facing them in standard Smash, or in training mode? In Training mode, the "Attack" setting on the CPU makes them do nothing but repeat the same handful of attacks - so you can practice dodging them, I suppose - which sounds like what you describe.

The CPU in non-training game modes has been fine ever since the update that redid Level 9 behavior.

Last edited:

DarkStar64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Keystoner_33
3DS FC
4914-3939-6213
Level 9 CPU's really aren't that difficult, more annoying than anything else IMO due to the frame perfect air-dodges and shielding some things they do well and others they completely fail at. They are extremely predictable I've noticed when getting up from the ledge I play Ike and level 9's have repeatedly rolled and jumped into a fully charged Eruption on many occasions.

Jmanthesmasher683

Smash Journeyman
I had this one time where i played R.O.B. and lost to mr.game&watch and reversed the characters so cpu was g&w and i was R.O.B and still lost. That day I found out that i just sucked at smash.

33percentgod

Smash Apprentice
I don't have a problem with the way the bots play, it's the GOD AWFUL RUBBER BAND AI.

Every time you're a stock ahead, they magically kill you in half a minute. If they are a stock ahead, watch how much of a miracle it is when your wild attacks somehow perfectly land and kill.

DarkStar64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Keystoner_33
3DS FC
4914-3939-6213
Never mind anything I said, just almost broke my 3DS after fighting a level 9 Marth

Edit: FRAME PERFECT AIRDODGES PERFECT SHIELDS AND COUNTERING EVERY ****ING MOVE

Last edited:
I don't know about you guys, but I use level 9's to strengthen my approach and punish games. Because they're so good at countering your attacks, it teaches you (or at least me) to not whiff your attacks or use attacks that aren't safe on shield as often.

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
How 2 Defeat level any lvl 9 CPU as Charizard.

Step 1: Pick Charizard

Step 2: Set Custom 1 to FireBall Cannon

Step 3. Hold B while CPU is at the edge

Step 4. Keep Doing Step 3 til CPU is at 999% :troll:

Riophilip

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1135-2901-6367
Switch FC
SW-6101-4928-8023
The thing I do is to practice on lvl 8 bots. They are much more realistic. They aren't as frustrating either.
One thing you need to be aware of is that you mustn't fight bots to learn. Fight them to train. 50% of Smash is the mental game, reads, bait, being unpredictable etc. And none of these you can practice on a bot.

Top Bottom