• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sudden surge of marth players?

Gamehowitzer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamehowitzer
3DS FC
5327-1431-1627
Lately on FG whenever i get online (3ds ver btw) I always seem to run into 3 or 4 white alt marths. like what the actual hell is happening? most of the time they're not even that good. Now i main Marth, so i'm just curious as to why people are suddenly playing him and using that specific color. (and tbh its kind of annoying.)

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
This isn't really anything new. According to the study of character usage I have been working on for months now (link in my signature) Marth is one of the top 3 most played characters in 1v1 FG for the Wii U, and has been since I started publishing the results here on the boards.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
EVO syndrome.
Back when Mario won EVO a few months ago, everybody was saying Mario was Top 5/3 for sure, that he was so amazing, and thus a lot of people starting using him that weren't before - especially on FG. Then people saw Mario is more complicated than he looked and dropped him.
Recently, MKLeo won Zero Saga mostly using Marth, and it was Marth's first major tournament he won, and thus now you have people saying he loses no MUs and people are coming out of nowhere trying to main him - again, especially on FG.
This sudden influx of Marth players is gonna drop as soon as people start noticing Marth is not easy at all. A lot of characters went through this. Off the top of my head, I remember Sheik, Diddy, ZSS, Mario, and now Marth.

Last edited:

Gamehowitzer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamehowitzer
3DS FC
5327-1431-1627
EVO syndrome eh? i dont follow competitive scene very much so that is something i would not have known. seriously like, people are really stupid enough to main a character because someone won a tournament with him? what?

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
EVO syndrome eh? i dont follow competitive scene very much so that is something i would not have known. seriously like, people are really stupid enough to main a character because someone won a tournament with him? what?
"Main".
More like calling themselves a main of the character, using said character for a week or two, seeing it's not as easy as the top player who just won the tournament made the character seem, and then they drop it forever.
Personally, I've seen worse stuff come out of a character winning a tournament.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
It's because of his recent results. MKLeo has been doing really good (And False, Pugwest, and Mr E have been doing good too), so for glory players started using him.

Gamehowitzer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamehowitzer
3DS FC
5327-1431-1627
yeah im still of the opinion that trying to use a character just because they get results is stupid ******** but you know.

Arrei

Smash Lord
I'd say it's less because they get results, per se, but more that they've now shown they have that kind of potential. Marth was kind of mediocre at launch, so he didn't get the kind of attention early high tiers like Diddy and Zero Suit got. As the patches came and went, he gained potential, but that went unnoticed by common folk until people started picking him up and showing what he could do.

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
To be honest, his true level of effectiveness of being blown up a fair bit because the way some people try to play against Marth makes us people that have played Marcina for years heave.

Caryslan

Smash Apprentice
I wonder how many of these people are in for a rude awaking when they discover Marth requires tons of precision in both offense and defense as well as an understanding of range to play well. How many of them understand tippers and how Marth's range changes his KO power and how much damage he puts out?

Lucina is my main in Smash 4, and even I can't play Marth all that well. And both of them are pretty much equals in every sense outside of Marth having the tip of his sword doing bonus damage and knockback and Lucina having a balanced blade that does equal damage and Knockback.

Marth, Roy, and Lucina are not pick up and play characters. All three require an understanding of their mechanics(Marth and Roy's sweetspots on their blades), an understanding of range and positioning, which is especially important when facing sword fighters that out range them(Cloud and Shulk being the most notable examples of why this is important), an understanding of their options and abilities(when its a good time to counter, the fact that a fully charged shield breaker can move Lucina and Marth forward in the air, etc)

I've been playing Lucina since the game came out and its taken me this long to get good with her, and even then, I would not call myself a master. How in the world do most of these players expect to be good with Marth with the bandwagon mindset of picking him up after seeing him in a tournament?

These bandwagon hoppers are going to be in for a hard time the first time they run into a decent Cloud or Link player. Those two are often the hardest matchups I face as Lucina.

I wonder who's next on the bandwagon?

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
I wonder how many of these people are in for a rude awaking when they discover Marth requires tons of precision in both offense and defense as well as an understanding of range to play well. How many of them understand tippers and how Marth's range changes his KO power and how much damage he puts out?

Lucina is my main in Smash 4, and even I can't play Marth all that well. And both of them are pretty much equals in every sense outside of Marth having the tip of his sword doing bonus damage and knockback and Lucina having a balanced blade that does equal damage and Knockback.

Marth, Roy, and Lucina are not pick up and play characters. All three require an understanding of their mechanics(Marth and Roy's sweetspots on their blades), an understanding of range and positioning, which is especially important when facing sword fighters that out range them(Cloud and Shulk being the most notable examples of why this is important), an understanding of their options and abilities(when its a good time to counter, the fact that a fully charged shield breaker can move Lucina and Marth forward in the air, etc)

I've been playing Lucina since the game came out and its taken me this long to get good with her, and even then, I would not call myself a master. How in the world do most of these players expect to be good with Marth with the bandwagon mindset of picking him up after seeing him in a tournament?

These bandwagon hoppers are going to be in for a hard time the first time they run into a decent Cloud or Link player. Those two are often the hardest matchups I face as Lucina.

I wonder who's next on the bandwagon?
People ended up getting the reality check slapped hard on them when Mario of all characters was the one in the bandwagon.
Same is gonna happen (and is already happening) with Marth, except even worse.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
yeah im still of the opinion that trying to use a character just because they get results is stupid ******** but you know.
Yeah, it's SO STUPID.

I mean, being inspired to main a character who was considered low tier when the game launched winning a major over the big names of Zero, Ally, Nairo, etc is so stupid. Like hella stupid. I mean it's not like, god forbid, a major tournament win and excellent play means anything. It only showcases a character's potential and viability.

Yea it's pretty stupid.

Gamehowitzer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamehowitzer
3DS FC
5327-1431-1627
Yeah, it's SO STUPID.

I mean, being inspired to main a character who was considered low tier when the game launched winning a major over the big names of Zero, Ally, Nairo, etc is so stupid. Like hella stupid. I mean it's not like, god forbid, a major tournament win and excellent play means anything. It only showcases a character's potential and viability.

Yea it's pretty stupid.
Lol once again "tiers". another thing i dont pay attention to.

Aphistemi

Smash Ace
NNID
MasterOfTheToots
Thank god G&W is garbage and only like Regi and Koss are putting in work, otherwise I'd see my main on FG spamming key as a landing option 99% of the time

K~SAN

Smash Cadet
NNID
SANHEK
3DS FC
2595-1379-4854
Have Not noticed anymore Marths/Lucina players on my end
Though I do play Marth myself. Played him since the beginning and always thought of him as a good character
Glad to at least hear he's gaining more popularity

Top Bottom