• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SUBSPACE EMISSARY SEQUEL CONCEPT: SSB: The Armageddon (Huge WIP)

UPDATE, 1/15/2019: Thread was moved to NintenZone after originally being in Ultimate's General Discussion. Thanks, Legendary Spirit Tamer.

Note: Not presently working on this idea. Plan to at some point, but I've got other things on my mind now. It also might look a little different when I get around to it (I made this a little while ago). Just sayin'.

I alluded to this a few times in other threads, and now, I'm finally getting around to actually sharing my idea for a new Subspace Emissary styled story mode.

Just to clear a few things up;
  • Yes, this is a direct sequel to the Subspace Emissary.
  • Despite what I implied a few posts back, I have not been able to fit the Smash 4 and Ultimate newcomers in the plot in a way that makes sense. (I'm working on it)

Not much to say, so I'll let these spoiler boxes tell the story.

Short answer; a fan-made sequel to the Subspace Emissary.

Longer answer: a passionate attempt to build on where the Subspace Emissary left off in a world with even higher stakes, more depth, and the biggest secrets of the Smash Bros universe are subtly explored. It's a pretty grim story, especially in the latter half, as it's basically an examination of the Smash World in a critical, almost apocalyptic state, and a twisted look into the untold horrors of the concept of Smash bros and the lore, and it would most definetly give the game a T rating if it ever became a reality. But the thing is, I feel it works very well, as this grim theme is used primary to heighten the intensity and make the story all have that much more of an impact.

(NOTE: This story is still very much a work in progress, and could be suspect to massive amounts of change. I’ve already pretty much decided the middle of the story. The beginning, not so much.)

This is the beginning of the story.

The time: Not very long after the Subspace Emissary.

Tabuu is dead.

The bad guys have lost.

So everything is good again, right?

At first, it is. After beating Tabuu, almost everyone barely escaped Subspace with their lives. The survivors all congratulated each other on a job well done. The ceremonies were short lived, however, as they realized that there were still a few things wrong. Master Hand and Crazy Hand are still missing. There are still plenty of enemies everywhere. The land is still in ruins (A little like this; not exactly, just the basic gist of the tone I’m going for). And the sky is dark, like a thunderstorm, (Somewhat like this, just imagine the lightning isn’t there) which is always a sure sign that something bad is about to happen, right?

Well, the Smashers figure it could be worse, so they split off. Some try to go back to their homes, some others stay behind to try and figure out what’s going on, and some don’t do either, but instead strike off on their own on unrelated quests for one reason or another. It will take some getting used to for certain, but it doesn't look like anything bad is going to happen.

The period of peace ends up being rather short-lived. More and more enemies begin showing up, far more than the smashers that stayed behind can handle. They find the now abandoned Midair Stadium and barricade it. Safe from the assault, the Smashers have a few questions; why are there so many monsters, where are the Hands, and is this the end? And that’s just the beginning... of the Smashpocalypse.

Once again, I'm still working on it.

As a direct follow up to the Subspace Emissary, the style of gameplay is similar overall. It remains a side scroller in the vein of Mario and Kirby. There are a few differences though, some more notable than others:

• Grabbing enemies works the same way as in Smash Run; you can pummel and throw in any direction.
  • You can no longer select a difficulty; there is now one standard difficulty (that is about equal to what Very Hard would be.) I’m currently reconsidering this.
  • Most of the Subspace Emissary’s gameplay differences are still present (here they are, for those that need a reminder). The “normalizations” in movement speed have been mostly undone, though, so that characters feel more distinct.
  • Level progression is a bit less linear; levels are more complex and some have multiple exits (like that feature in some Mario games like Super Mario World). These alternate exits can open up slightly different paths or even result in some secret levels being revealed.
  • The Adventure Map has received an overhaul; it’s a bit like the world maps in most recent Mario platformers, in that you now progress through levels by moving in a path from the level you’re at to the level you want to go. Like in Super Mario 3D World, you can freely roam the map with full control of the characters (with a single, very limited jump that’s the same height for everyone, and no attacking of any type). On a related note, you are not limited to the World of Trophies anymore; various locations from Nintendo games are also featured (though the neutral settings are still the norm), and there are multiple “worlds” to discover that all play a part in the story.
  • The Midair Stadium now acts as a hub world where you can see your new objectives, talk to people, and just chill out. There are a few more types of levels; there are a few small huts on the map where you can collect items.
  • As implied earlier, there are some NPCs that you can talk to. This feature was based off of a popular one in the online fangame Super Mario Bros X.

Here's some extra stuff that I didn’t feel quite notable enough to address earlier on, but should still probably be mentioned.

• You may have guessed already, but there are now enemies from various Nintendo games. Some come from Smash Run, others are new enemy concepts. Also, all the enemies return from the Subspace Emissary with minimal adjustments, and some unused enemies finally get their chance to shine (like Waddle Dee and Waddle Doo). This is to go along with the fact that there are locations from Nintendo games present.
  • There is now full fledged dialogue for some characters. It’s based on whether characters speak or not in their games; for instance, Ganondorf and Bowser speak, but Mario and Link keep their signature grunts.

So now, to summarize, just what did I try to accomplish by writing this?

I wanted to continue on the story of the Subspace Emissary because that was my childhood. I've always wanted to return to this gameplay style. I also wanted to see what it would look like if the underlying themes of the franchise were explored further, what it would be like if there was more content from the games the characters star in, what it would be like if the stakes were higher, and most importantly, what Smash as a whole would look like if the world was on it's absolute last legs.

It's not just designed as a sequel or as a closure to the story of Super Smash Bros; it's designed as it's own experience. Might work, might not. But I'll have fun writing it. Probably.

Now, as I hope is obvious by now, this story is nowhere near finished. I would like any and all feedback to help strengthen what I've got. Since obviously, this will never become anything more than a figment of my imagination, I'm planning to share bits and bits of the story at a time; how exactly, I'm not quite sure.

So, thoughts? Questions?

Last edited:

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
Nice concept my dude! but i have a question.
Even though the this is supposed to be a "Dark Action Thriller", will there be some lighter moments in there (IE Comedic or Heartwarming moments)?

Last edited:
Nice concept my dude! but i have a question.
Even though the this is supposed to be a "Dark Action Thriller", will there be some lighter moments in there (IE Comedic or Heartwarming moments)?
Yeah, there's a fair amount of comedy (though in brief portions; it's mostly visual humor). There's more comedy early on than in the later portions of the story, though.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Concept is really cool but maybe it shouldn't be a sequel to SSE, but it's own story, since it's really different. If characters are going to be divided, it's better to just keep them separate at start.

I like voiced dialogues. Brawl was fine without it but now we have enough characters that it can work without it. A better idea might be "voice grunting", though, dialogue is written and only occasionally voiced.

Also, will this feature the Brawl cast or others join too?

Concept is really cool but maybe it shouldn't be a sequel to SSE, but it's own story, since it's really different. If characters are going to be divided, it's better to just keep them separate at start.
I considered that for a second, but I think it works much better as a direct sequel. After all, some of the key events have direct ties to those of the Subspace Emissary, and it would make much less sense to those not familiar with the basic story of the Original Subspace.

As for the whole characters thing.... well, the story literally starts a minute after Tabuu is beaten and the heroes escape Subspace, and it wouldn't make a ton of sense for them to all start off far away from each other. going off that alone.

I like voiced dialogues. Brawl was fine without it but now we have enough characters that it can work without it. A better idea might be "voice grunting", though, dialogue is written and only occasionally voiced.
Good idea. I'll think about it.

Also, will this feature the Brawl cast or others join too?
I'd like to include the other characters, but aside from a few like Dr Mario (because he is literally Mario), I haven't really found a way to shoehorn most of the others into the plot without it feeling forced. I'll still try for a bit longer, though.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I considered that for a second, but I think it works much better as a direct sequel. After all, some of the key events have direct ties to those of the Subspace Emissary, and it would make much less sense to those not familiar with the basic story of the Original Subspace.

As for the whole characters thing.... well, the story literally starts a minute after Tabuu is beaten and the heroes escape Subspace, and it wouldn't make a ton of sense for them to all start off far away from each other. going off that alone.

Good idea. I'll think about it.

I'd like to include the other characters, but aside from a few like Dr Mario (because he is literally Mario), I haven't really found a way to shoehorn most of the others into the plot without it feeling forced. I'll still try for a bit longer, though.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, last game have way too many fighters. Maybe a good compromise would be just adding Jigglypuff, Wolf and Toon Link.
And maybe cut Melee veteran but even that's forcing it.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, last game have way too many fighters. Maybe a good compromise would be just adding Jigglypuff, Wolf and Toon Link.
And maybe cut Melee veteran but even that's forcing it.
Thanks for replying yourself. :)

Also, Jigglypuff, Wolf, and Toon Link are already part of my story.

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice
I know I am super late to the talk but this is somewhat like what I'm doing
As you may see in my description, I am trying to do a subspace-esque story for World of Light with more- fighters, plot, bosses, etc. It will have good guys, bad guys, and some who just want to serve their own purposes in the backdrop of a destroyed World of Trophies (known as World of the Light here).
It probably isn't as ambitious or unique as your story, but seeing as how you're still active here, I figured I might as well let you know of it. Will this be up soon?

I know I am super late to the talk but this is somewhat like what I'm doing
As you may see in my description, I am trying to do a subspace-esque story for World of Light with more- fighters, plot, bosses, etc. It will have good guys, bad guys, and some who just want to serve their own purposes in the backdrop of a destroyed World of Trophies (known as World of the Light here).
It probably isn't as ambitious or unique as your story, but seeing as how you're still active here, I figured I might as well let you know of it. Will this be up soon?
Hey man. I'll never consider it too late to respond to this thing. Just letting you and anybody else in this thread know.

As for this concept... I have no idea what the future of it will hold. I admit, I'm still very unsure where I want to take this. This is also slightly outdated and I've come up with a different plan regarding this. I may update OP soon, may not.

Also, thanks for sharing your idea. I'll check it out later when I have time. I always did wonder what World of Light would be like if it was a bit more like the Emissary. And thanks for responding.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
UPDATE, 1/15/2019: Thread was moved to NintenZone after originally being in Ultimate's General Discussion. Thanks, Legendary Spirit Tamer.

Note: Not presently working on this idea. Plan to at some point, but I've got other things on my mind now.

I alluded to this a few times in other threads, and now, I'm finally getting around to actually sharing my idea for a new Subspace Emissary styled story mode.

Just to clear a few things up;
  • Yes, this is a direct sequel to the Subspace Emissary.
  • Despite what I implied a few posts back, I have not been able to fit the Smash 4 and Ultimate newcomers in the plot in a way that makes sense. (I'm working on it)

Not much to say, so I'll let these spoiler boxes tell the story.

Short answer; a fan-made sequel to the Subspace Emissary.

Longer answer: a passionate attempt to build on where the Subspace Emissary left off in a world with even higher stakes, more depth, and the biggest secrets of the Smash Bros universe are subtly explored. It's a pretty grim story, especially in the latter half, as it's basically an examination of the Smash World in a critical, almost apocalyptic state, and a twisted look into the untold horrors of the concept of Smash bros and the lore, and it would most definetly give the game a T rating if it ever became a reality. But the thing is, I feel it works very well, as this grim theme is used primary to heighten the intensity and make the story all have that much more of an impact.

(NOTE: This story is still very much a work in progress, and could be suspect to massive amounts of change. I’ve already pretty much decided the middle of the story. The beginning, not so much.)

This is the beginning of the story.

The time: Not very long after the Subspace Emissary.

Tabuu is dead.

The bad guys have lost.

So everything is good again, right?

At first, it is. After beating Tabuu, almost everyone barely escaped Subspace with their lives. The survivors all congratulated each other on a job well done. The ceremonies were short lived, however, as they realized that there were still a few things wrong. Master Hand and Crazy Hand are still missing. There are still plenty of enemies everywhere. The land is still in ruins (A little like this; not exactly, just the basic gist of the tone I’m going for). And the sky is dark, like a thunderstorm, (Somewhat like this, just imagine the lightning isn’t there) which is always a sure sign that something bad is about to happen, right?

Well, the Smashers figure it could be worse, so they split off. Some try to go back to their homes, some others stay behind to try and figure out what’s going on, and some don’t do either, but instead strike off on their own on unrelated quests for one reason or another. It will take some getting used to for certain, but it doesn't look like anything bad is going to happen.

The period of peace ends up being rather short-lived. More and more enemies begin showing up, far more than the smashers that stayed behind can handle. They find the now abandoned Midair Stadium and barricade it. Safe from the assault, the Smashers have a few questions; why are there so many monsters, where are the Hands, and is this the end? And that’s just the beginning... of the Smashpocalypse.

Once again, I'm still working on it.

As a direct follow up to the Subspace Emissary, the style of gameplay is similar overall. It remains a side scroller in the vein of Mario and Kirby. There are a few differences though, some more notable than others:

• Grabbing enemies works the same way as in Smash Run; you can pummel and throw in any direction.
  • You can no longer select a difficulty; there is now one standard difficulty (that is about equal to what Very Hard would be.) I’m currently reconsidering this.
  • Most of the Subspace Emissary’s gameplay differences are still present (here they are, for those that need a reminder). The “normalizations” in movement speed have been mostly undone, though, so that characters feel more distinct.
  • Level progression is a bit less linear; levels are more complex and some have multiple exits (like that feature in some Mario games like Super Mario World). These alternate exits can open up slightly different paths or even result in some secret levels being revealed.
  • The Adventure Map has received an overhaul; it’s a bit like the world maps in most recent Mario platformers, in that you now progress through levels by moving in a path from the level you’re at to the level you want to go. Like in Super Mario 3D World, you can freely roam the map with full control of the characters (with a single, very limited jump that’s the same height for everyone, and no attacking of any type). On a related note, you are not limited to the World of Trophies anymore; various locations from Nintendo games are also featured (though the neutral settings are still the norm), and there are multiple “worlds” to discover that all play a part in the story.
  • The Midair Stadium now acts as a hub world where you can see your new objectives, talk to people, and just chill out. There are a few more types of levels; there are a few small huts on the map where you can collect items.
  • As implied earlier, there are some NPCs that you can talk to. This feature was based off of a popular one in the online fangame Super Mario Bros X.

Here's some extra stuff that I didn’t feel quite notable enough to address earlier on, but should still probably be mentioned.

• You may have guessed already, but there are now enemies from various Nintendo games. Some come from Smash Run, others are new enemy concepts. Also, all the enemies return from the Subspace Emissary with minimal adjustments, and some unused enemies finally get their chance to shine (like Waddle Dee and Waddle Doo). This is to go along with the fact that there are locations from Nintendo games present.
  • There is now full fledged dialogue for some characters. It’s based on whether characters speak or not in their games; for instance, Ganondorf and Bowser speak, but Mario and Link keep their signature grunts.

So now, to summarize, just what did I try to accomplish by writing this?

I wanted to continue on the story of the Subspace Emissary because that was my childhood. I've always wanted to return to this gameplay style. I also wanted to see what it would look like if the underlying themes of the franchise were explored further, what it would be like if there was more content from the games the characters star in, what it would be like if the stakes were higher, and most importantly, what Smash as a whole would look like if the world was on it's absolute last legs.

It's not just designed as a sequel or as a closure to the story of Super Smash Bros; it's designed as it's own experience. Might work, might not. But I'll have fun writing it. Probably.

Now, as I hope is obvious by now, this story is nowhere near finished. I would like any and all feedback to help strengthen what I've got. Since obviously, this will never become anything more than a figment of my imagination, I'm planning to share bits and bits of the story at a time; how exactly, I'm not quite sure.

So, thoughts? Questions?
I really love your conspect for a Subspace Emissary 2 man. Subspace would even be more awesome now than back then due to all the villains and 3rd party characters we have in the roster now.

Top Bottom