• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Subspace Emissary in Smash 5?

marriage_iguanas

Smash Rookie
I pray to God that there'll be something similar to the subspace emissary from brawl, especially with all the new characters added -- it would be great

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai didn't include a story mode like subspace in smash 4 because he felt the internet posting brawl's cutscenes ruined the experience for the player. It's pretty stupid reasoning in my opinion and I hope he sees things differently now.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Sakurai didn't include a story mode like subspace in smash 4 because he felt the internet posting brawl's cutscenes ruined the experience for the player. It's pretty stupid reasoning in my opinion and I hope he sees things differently now.
But even if he were to change his mind on that (lol), the short time span is still a big factor in an SE-like mode not happening

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
But even if he were to change his mind on that (lol), the short time span is still a big factor in an SE-like mode not happening
True. But technology has improved since then and Sakurai could have a bigger crew in the studio. I personally don't think it's gonna happen. I'm only expecting your typical classic mode, all-star mode, etc as far as single player modes go. Hopefully he does a new mode similar to smash run utilizing the online service. I would rather him focus solely on the multiplayer really.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
While you only really had to do a single Subspace Emissary playthrough (two if you want all the cutscenes), the main problem is the amount of cutscenes, as that takes up a good portion of development time. Also, cutscenes are memory hogs, which is why there aren't as many videos in Smash 3DS / Wii U.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I don't care how "unrealistic" it is, I also wanna see a full-fledged, SSE-esque Story Mode in Smash again. Seeing how the characters interacted when thrown into the same story was, and still is, absolute gold to me, and seeing that concept updated to include all of the newcomers we've gotten since then (and my beloved Mewtwo) would make me die of hype. While it seems the rest of the speculation community has taken the bait, so to speak, and decided that for some reason, another SSE is too much to expect and even just another crappy Melee Adventure Mode would be sufficient, I, personally, won't be satisfied until we get another genuine, fully animated Story Mode in our Smash, especially considering the downright stupid reason we were given for ditching it in the first place. (Blaming the fans because they uploaded cutscenes online? Come on, man, that's beyond Capcom levels of bad PR right there.) And besides, it's likely that this game will be more of a Madden sequel than previous Smash titles have been given the shorter development time, meaning most of Smash 4's assets will likely be ported over rather than remade from the ground up. So, outside of making new characters and stages, what else could they have possibly been doing all this time? Perhaps animating cutscenes for a new Story Mode, for one. It's not out of the realm of possibility if you ask me.

Last edited:

marriage_iguanas

Smash Rookie
I don't care how "unrealistic" it is, I also wanna see a full-fledged, SSE-esque Story Mode in Smash again. Seeing how the characters interacted when thrown into the same story was, and still is, absolute gold to me, and seeing that concept updated to include all of the newcomers we've gotten since then (and my beloved Mewtwo) would make me die of hype. While it seems the rest of the speculation community has taken the bait, so to speak, and decided that for some reason, another SSE is too much to expect, I, personally, won't be satisfied until we get another genuine, fully animated Story Mode in our Smash, especially considering the downright stupid reason we were given for ditching it in the first place. (Blaming the fans because they uploaded cutscenes online? Come on, man, that's beyond Capcom levels of bad PR right there.) And besides, it's likely that this game will be more of a Madden sequel than previous Smash titles have been given the shorter development time, meaning most of Smash 4's assets will likely be ported over rather than remade from the ground up. So, outside of making new characters and stages, what else could they have possibly been doing all this time? Perhaps animating cutscenes for a new Story Mode, for one. It's not out of the realm of possibility if you ask me.
Dude HELL YES

Roberk

Smash Champion
If we get a story mode, the character interactions and settings need to be ramped up. SSE's settings and enemies were generic while Adventure Mode's settings and enemies in Melee were so cool. Jumping on Koopas/Goombas in the Mushroom Kingdom as Samus, the space bounty hunter? Now that's awesome. The character interactions in SSE's cutscenes actually disappoint me, characters just kind of show up in the middle of nowhere and just mime and mumble. While it's a risk, I want voice acting for some better interactions and character development. If this isn't realizable then just go with a text-based visual novel-esque style for some character development, that'll suit me. Mime and mumble cutscenes aren't mutually exclusive to these text-based conversations, I just want the characters to deeply interact and develop in some way. Maybe a Fire Emblem support system, giving stat boost to characters you use together and giving you special support conversations to develop the characters and their relationship? That would be dope.

My only problem with a story mode is it holding back other aspects of the game in terms of limited time and money, but I still really want one. It's what made Brawl into a very great Smash game if you look at it as a whole.

Bobombist

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
KEKW#284
NNID
Bobombist
I feel like after Smash 4, maybe it could happen because of how bummed the community was. Although, Sakurai wouldn't want the cut scenes to be leaked just like for Smash 4, so who knows!

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
pokemon routinely gets datamined within days of a new release - for the last two generations the games weren't even out and we knew everything that happened and what pokemon we'd be traveling with. good thing sakurai doesn't run the pokemon company, huh

i'd love to see another proper Story Mode like Brawl had, but i'd settle for something without cutscenes. take the concept behind Melee's Adventure mode, but actually commit instead of throwing two platforming stages into a run of classic mode, and that's enough for me.

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
pokemon routinely gets datamined within days of a new release - for the last two generations the games weren't even out and we knew everything that happened and what pokemon we'd be traveling with. good thing sakurai doesn't run the pokemon company, huh

i'd love to see another proper Story Mode like Brawl had, but i'd settle for something without cutscenes. take the concept behind Melee's Adventure mode, but actually commit instead of throwing two platforming stages into a run of classic mode, and that's enough for me.
Hah yeah especially Pokemon. But ya know it's problematic regardless for any game designer. He really shouldn't care about people posting spoilers. This way of thinking can potentially keep a game from being the best as it can be.

But I guess Sakurai has his fair share of unpopular opinions too. XD

osby

Smash Obsessed
As much as I love Subspace Emissary, I hope Sakurai doesn't work overtime to make something similar. It's not necessary for the game and it's not like fans deserve it.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
One of the reasons I want to see a sequel to the SSE is the fact that Tabuu was supposedly a Prince (in trophy description), so there might be a King somewhere who could take over.
Interaction between characters is what I liked the most. Lucas and Pokémon Trainer escaping from Galleom exploding thanks to Meta Knight is still my favorite scene. Probably due to the fact that it's the only true friendship that was built in this story?
That's why seeing both of them cut in SSB4 broke my heart.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
It would be cool to get a continuation of subspace emisary....
I'd like to see a story where those who haven't returned from Brawl (PT, Ivysaur, etc) and how they aren't in the game (perhaps just turning them into trophies would be a good explanation)

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
I would love if there was a full story mode in Smash Switch, but unfortunately I doubt it, for some reasons stated. That being said, I would love a story with the current cast of characters plus Smash Switch newcomers. Even a retelling of the Subspace Emissary with the newer characters would be epic!

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
As much as I love Subspace Emissary, I hope Sakurai doesn't work overtime to make something similar. It's not necessary for the game and it's not like fans deserve it.
I don't know what you meant by fans not deserving it it. My only argument against subspace is that smash is is multiplayer driven game so therefore the vs mode should be the primary focus. If subspace's development time gets in the way of making the gameplay the best it can be, than I'd rather not have it.

I was pretty upset when I heard that elements of smash wii u were not possible because of the 3ds's limitations such as Ice Climbers' inclusions and who knows what else. This time, I just hope that the most important modes get the attention they need with no holding back. If they can somehow squeeze in a story mode involving 60+ characters while producing the best smash gameplay mechanics ever then wonderful. I doubt it's gonna happen but who knows. I just can't see a smash with a roster bigger than smash 4 having something like subspace.

Top Bottom