• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Subspace cutscene theory.

HenryXLII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HenryXLII
3DS FC
3153-3904-2933
I just realized that all the trailers in this game have the potential to be cutscenes for story mode. Theres so many trailer details that seem almost out of place.

The first is at the end of the Ridley trailer. They show Zero Suit Samus leaping out of some kind of aftermath and deliver a kick to Ridley. This seems really pointless, unless it's the result of a fight between Ridley and Samus. It also feels like it should lead to something.

Simon's trailer doesn't have much to go off of, but the entire thing seems like a subspace scenario. And I can see Dracula's castle being expanded in the story, especially with all the bosses.

The only thing In K.Rool's trailer is at the ending, when Donkey and the King clash in midair. But Diddy is there for some seemingly pointless reason. Possibly because you can select Diddy for that fight like in Subspace.

Overall this isn't too much to go off of, but one thing really sells this for me. In all of these trailers the art style is exactly the same. Smash 4's trailers all did their best to imitate the art style of the game they were representing. It would also explain all the random character mortality that's going on. It feels weird to just leave characters like Mario dead.

I'm kinda stretching here. And the little message at the bottom saying "not actual gameplay footage" could debunk this as a whole. (I don't know if they count in game cutscenes as gameplay) But I figured I'd throw the theory out there.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
That kind of makes sense, that they would part of a larger story. If the 'Spirits' thing really is a story mode, that'd explain why all these characters are dying off.

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
I thought the same thing but I didn't developed that much in the thread about potential story-mode. I really liked Subspace Emissary and I really wish we're gonna have a new story mode. With all elements that we've gather from the Direct, it's almost already confirmed.

While I don't find Diddy out of place during this cutscene, I though the same when they clashed in mid-air (Diddy looked ridiculous by the way). That part looked way too much "Brawlesque" to just be a trailer. And no, cutscenes never counts as gameplay.

Vanguard227

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vanguard227
Switch FC
SW 4222 8780 9424
I'm also leaning towards these trailers being cutscenes for a possible new mode.
Because if you look back at Smash 4's newcomer trailers, many of them had vastly different art styles to them that complimented said newcomer like Little Mac's, Lucina/Robin's and Palutena's.
But all the trailers for Ultimate so far have all used the same art style/ CG graphics.

Then there's the fact that the two new boss fights (Dracula and Rathalos) take place on what look like flat walk-off stages; very similar to many of Subspace's boss arenas. This is especially interesting, because we can see that the normal Dracula's Castle stage isn't a walk off stage, but whenever we saw Dracula himself fighting, the stage turned into a bigger walk off stage. Then there's also the tidbit of only seeing one player fighting these bosses; this wasn't possible for the stage bosses in 4, since those only appeared in normal smash matches; meaning 2 or more players had to be on the field.

With these observations, along with that blurred out green mode they teased, I'm definitely thinking that we'll be getting some sort of new single player experience. However, whether it's an Adventure Mode, or a Subspace-esque story mode, or something completely new, is still up in the air.

Galgatha

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SinChill
You guys are missing the biggest proof of both a brand new Subspace-like story mode, and possible a new fighter (that part will be at the end).

The trailer for Rathalos! That dude is "both a boss and an assist trophy". Why is he a boss? Take a look at the footage where Fox/Falcon/Dedede try and fight him. There is not a single stage on the current stage list on the website that matches that. Plus, while each one was fighting Rathalos, there weren't any other fighters seen on the stage. This implies that he is the boss for some sort of single player mode. And what single player mode could possibly be like that? Subspace!

We have a stage that is cimpletely unknown, fighters trying to beat Rathalos by themselves with no other fighters to be seen, and a mysterious mode that they can't talk about right now. It has to be Subspace, otherwise the boss fight scene in Rathalos doesn't make alot of sense. And it is very funny how they go directly from Rathalos trailer which features him as a boss, to "you can see we have a mysterious mode here. We can't talk about that just yet." Very sly Sakurai, very sly indeed!

Also, Rathalos is from Monster Hunter, people have claimed that the place where you see Fox/Falcon/Dedede fighting Rathalos is from Monster Hunter. Assuming that this is from a Subspace like story mode, this almost garuntees that we will be getting a Monster Hunter fighter as well.

Think back to the bosses in Subspace, besides those that were unique and made only for Smash bros, every single boss fight from Subspace had at least 1 playable fighter that corosponded to that series. Rathalos was not made for Smash, he was made for Monster Hunter. Rathalos is a boss fight in a possible adventure/story mode, Rathalos is on a Monster Hunter stage, yet we have no Monster Hunter fighters to correspond to this fight and tie it into the Smash universe....? Nope, we have to be getting a Monster Hunter fighter as well.

Last edited:

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
Well some of those elements were pointed out in another thread, I didn't wanted to rewrite those stuffs every time someone make a double/triple/etc. post of that said thread. There's no way we're not going to have a new story mode. Though, I doubt that we're getting a Monster Hunter fighter. It might be a chance but that's all. Since its also an assist trophy, Rathalos might be unique in the way that there isn't a fighter from the same universe in the roster.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
monster hunter character kind of seems a little generic to me

Top Bottom