• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Subspace 2 possibility?

Do you think Nintendo will surprise us with a subspace 2?

• I want it and we'll get it

• I don't want it but we'll get it

• I want it but we won't get it

• I don't want it and we won't get it

Results are only viewable after voting.

BrazenBunnies

Smash Cadet
I really hope that they bring back subspace. With all of the new characters this would be an awesome way of introducing them!

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
Unlikely, imo. Sakurai is still pretty petty about people seeing the story and cutscenes online before the game is released. I'm surprised he hasn't gone the Atlus route before Brawl's release.

But, if Ultimate were to be a worldwide release, the chances of it leaking get shot down. Possible, but decreased.

Last edited:

Pirate Goomba

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BackburningPyro
3DS FC
3969-6919-4080
Switch FC
2859 5488 3187
Sakuari still upset that the massive plots were spoiled.

"Unfortunately, the movie scenes we worked hard to create were uploaded onto the internet. You can only truly wow a player the first time he sees [a cutscene]. I felt if players saw the cutscenes outside of the game, they would no longer serve as rewards for playing the game, so I've decided against having them."

iWonder

Smash Rookie
As much as I hope it would, it's pretty unlikely. However, the Ridley trailer was very reminiscent of an Emissary cutscene with how Samus, Mario, and Mega Man were a group. Also the trailer ending with the zoom in on Zero Suit Samus about to fight Ridley reminded me of how you got to pick a character when the Emissary cutscenes ended. But then again, Smash 4 had trailers like this that were similar to Emissary and we never got it there.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I really enjoyed SSE, I'd love to see something similar, the cut scenes were lots of fun as well.

But Sakurai is a &^%$ing derp when it comes to omgspoilers so...

Last edited:

Vanguard227

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vanguard227
Switch FC
SW 4222 8780 9424
I would absolutely adore a new single player adventure mode like Subspace Emissary. Smash 4 just didn't feel complete without one, and its Classic and All-Star never really did anything for me. Unfortunately, given Sakurai's silly stance about cutscene spoilers, and just the sheer amount of fighters in this game compared to Brawl's much smaller roster, I doubt we'll get something as grandiose as Subspace Emissary.

Even if we don't get a full blown story mode, I'd still love a Melee style adventure mode.

D

Deleted member

Brawl was my childhood. I remeber beating Subspace emissary multiple times and always enjoyed it. I hope we get a sequel to it. It would be a nice touch and a taste of childhood memories :)

Bolshoi

Smash Journeyman
I don't think we'll get it. They're focus was entirely on ensuring a full roster, and now they're looking to push the competitive aspect further. If you remember the work they had to do to get Subspace working, it was almost like putting an entirely new game inside of the game. I just don't think it was their focus this time around.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
They did say we'd be unlocking characters progressively, and Subspace Emissary is a good example of what a gradual progression would look like alongside character unlocks via Versus matches. I generally believe we didn't get such an ambitious Adventure mode in Smash 4 because of the development resources split between the two versions where the 3DS version probably wouldn't be able to run the mode and store so many wonderful cutscenes. Furthermore, something like Adventure Mode probably wouldn't be kept secret past E3 2014, and they didn't want to devalue the 3DS version which they also wanted to sell. So the animation budget they would have spent on cutscenes instead went toward Character reveal trailers which doesn't appear to be a priority for this game.

That all having been said, I'm not holding my breath for a Subspace followup. Perhaps something smaller scale with replayability in mind and no cutscenes or story. Procedurally generated levels or perhaps a random assortment of a large pool of unrelated levels. That sounds like something you could whip up with few resources. Also, since we have the Brawl roster back, what if we got an HD Remaster of the original Subspace? They could even add to it to accommodate the other 30 characters. Somehow I feel like that wouldn't be very well received, however. And the original Subspace is a feature length ten hour mode that isn't begging for more content.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I just think it would be such a tremendous effort to create something like a subspace for an even bigger cast. It's going to be hard enough to balance the characters even a little, and given how hard they leaned into the competitive aspect of the game this E3, I feel like a lot more of their focus will be on that.

That said, I do think we'll get something meaty for the single player. I think it makes sense not only due to having to make unlocking such a large roster fun, but also just to give us something to do when playing on the go.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I would enjoy a Sub-space Emissary kind of mode. It's unfortunate that there are people out there who want to be the first to reveal things just so they can get their 15 minutes of e-fame. It pisses me off that people do that, since it should be the creator and his team who show off the fruits of their labor. Anyway, if there was a Sub-space Emissary mode, I'd love to have this cut-scene.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
The one thing I've noticed is how they've stayed absolutely quiet on new game modes at E3, focusing solely on the fighters. The fact that Adventure Mode was left out in Sm4sh left a bad taste in my mouth considering that was my favorite way to unlock all the characters in Brawl. I'm still slightly hopeful, however, because they seem to have gotten better at hiding leaks. We hardly had any information about Breath of the Wild's Champion's Ballad DLC, for example, until the reveal trailer was shown at the Game of the Year Awards, and the DLC dropped shortly afterwards. They might very well do the same thing with this game, but if Subspace 2.0 doesn't happen, at least give us a Melee-esque Adventure. I'll take anything at this point... :sadeyes:

Mobes

featuring Cool Robot Character "Ben Laserlove"
NNID
MobesMobes
I don't think a complex single-player like Subspace Emissary would be possible in the amount of time they've had, but having played it semi-recently I'm unsure it's something I'd like back. I'd have to play it again to know better.

I'd actually hope that Events turn into a bigger thing and become a single-player campaign of some sort. They don't really need to do much more then make the wrapper around Events grander.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
I would want a Subspace 2. In fact, that was what I was expecting before E3. And I want these character to talk in the cutscenes if they could.

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
The one thing I've noticed is how they've stayed absolutely quiet on new game modes at E3, focusing solely on the fighters. The fact that Adventure Mode was left out in Sm4sh left a bad taste in my mouth considering that was my favorite way to unlock all the characters in Brawl. I'm still slightly hopeful, however, because they seem to have gotten better at hiding leaks. We hardly had any information about Breath of the Wild's Champion's Ballad DLC, for example, until the reveal trailer was shown at the Game of the Year Awards, and the DLC dropped shortly afterwards. They might very well do the same thing with this game, but if Subspace 2.0 doesn't happen, at least give us a Melee-esque Adventure. I'll take anything at this point... :sadeyes:

I still don’t understand how tf people get these leaks. Like...from anywhere. From Cartoon Network to ****ing anime in Russia or some ****. Shouldn’t these company’s’ firewalls be the best and some child with a 2003 PC can get them? What?

But a new Subspace would be amaaaaaazing. I loved everything about the one in Brawl, except for Sonic because he did absolutely nothing, and I still haven’t personally beaten it yet. Laziness, honestly. But this ginormous roster is kind of intimidating. And what would the story even be with a cast like this?

My only idea is that they could have adventures recruiting different players in their respective games with a little bit of drama and fighting their villains.

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
The story could end up being something better than Avengers Infinity War. And I don't get why Sakurai thinks the second time we see these cutscenes are worst than the first. If anything, the cutscenes get better the more times you replay them. When Dedede puts those brooches on Luigi, Ness and the Princess, you wouldn't get what those brooches are supposed to be until you go into Subspace. You might just thought Dedede was making those trophies his property, so that cutscene actually improves when you are spoiled to what happens later. So yeah, Sakurai shouldn't have overreacted to the leaked cutscenes.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I don't think we'll get it. They're focus was entirely on ensuring a full roster, and now they're looking to push the competitive aspect further. If you remember the work they had to do to get Subspace working, it was almost like putting an entirely new game inside of the game. I just don't think it was their focus this time around.
This is the most reasonable answer. Similar to how Smash 4 was focused on gameplay and roster, this game seems to be more of the same.

Also, with the factor of DLC fighters, that means if there was a new SSE, it'd leave out any additions made after the game's launch.

These two details lead me to believe that if there is ever to be a new SSE, it'll be a DLC expansion, worked on after the main game and roster are complete, so that there isn't anything else to focus on or worry about while work goes into it. This is still pretty unlikely to happen, though.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Really the only reason I don't think we'll get any SSE, no matter how much I'd like one, is due to how fast the game speed is. As I recall, Brawl's speed being so slow and so floaty was mostly to make Subspace Emissary an easier mode for platforming.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I wonder if there's been enough time to develop Subspace 2. Melee - Brawl was a huge gap, 7 years. The span between 4 and 5, going off when the project document was finalized will be almost exactly 3.

McSpanker

Smash Cadet
I wonder if there's been enough time to develop Subspace 2. Melee - Brawl was a huge gap, 7 years. The span between 4 and 5, going off when the project document was finalized will be almost exactly 3.
While I don't think there will be as Subspace 2, even though I'd really like it, I don't think the reason will be development time. Development for Brawl will end up being around the same time as it was for Ultimate, about 2 and a half years if I recall correctly.

With that said, I really really would love a subspace 2, I can understand some gameplay concerns regarding the first one, but just having the story that brought most of the characters together in a cohesive way was awesome. Plus having all the random pair-ups and groups was extremely cool to see for me, and now that we have even more characters, the potential groups could be amazing

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
There is no chance of a subspace. With the premise of the game being everyone is here, this game will probably be more multiplayer driven than any smash bros game to date.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
I don’t really want it. I’d rather go for a smash run/Melee adventure mode hybrid with a boss battle at the end. Will make for fun speedruns. Nothing beyond that. Would rather focus on trying to get as many new characters and stages as possible seeing how it’s already going to be limited.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
There's probably too many characters to feasibly make a Subspace 2, as awesome as it would be.

I'll take any single player mode with good replay value tbh. An adventure mode without cutscenes may actually be better. Subspace kind of lost the charm after the first playthrough

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Have you noticed how we keep betting against characters like Ridley and they eventually get into Smash? What if that works with modes too? Yeah, they had to do a lot of work to make sure all the veterans could work in Ultimate, but what if getting those veterans in wasn't just for fan appeal? What if they all have important roles to play in the story?

Acrete

Smash Cadet
No they won’t do sub space again. There’s too many characters and too little time.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Alas, as much as I'd lose my sh*t at seeing this happen, I'm not holding my breath at this point. So much seems to be going into character changes, additions to the roster, and general mechanical improvements this time around that I doubt we'll see anything too major on the singleplayer front, especially nothing as massive and grandiose as Subspace was, which is a real shame considering how vapid Smash 4's singleplayer was. Besides, Sakurai may still be salty that nobody liked Subspace (or gave it a chance, grumble grumble), which I feel is what made him drop the concept in the first place, so I kind of doubt he'd be willing to sink that much time into another cinematic story mode only for everyone to rip on it again.

kool2419

Smash Apprentice
I think it`s very unlikely that we get another subspace because it was essentially a very bad beat`em up sidescroller and they probably didn`t want to go through that again plus it took a lot of development time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom