• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Subcon's Egg slinger: Birdo support

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The Mario seires has most of it's main characters in Smash but there's a certain boss that's overdue for another Smash appearance.

Birdo

Birdo appeared in Melee (in sprite form) as a stage hazard but has a lot of potential to work with and could come back as either an assist trophy or even a playable character

Moveset ideas

Egg firing: In Birdo's original appearance thanks to how SMB2 worked her projectiles were also flying platforms so it could allow for Birdo firing an egg, jumping on it and flying it into her foe's face while charging a Smash attack.

Super Jump (Super Squat Jump): Taking inspiration from Birdo's home game, Mario & Co could charge up a higher jump by crouching. IT could easily work as a chargable Up-B attack

Pidgit: An odd little enemy that was a flightless bird on a magic carpet. Either teaming up with the Pidgit or just using its carpet could make a novel Recovery move.

Questions and Answers

Wouldn't Birdo be just a Yoshi Clone?

Not really. Even though they're both egg throwing reptiles the function very differently. There are two main differences. 1. Yoshi has a tounge while Birdo functions more like Kirby. 2. Yoshi launches eggs by hand while Birdo spits them back up with her mouth (?) so even if they wanted to go clone it would be awkward having Birdo fling eggs upwards.

Isn't Birdo irrelevant?

Birdo may not be as well known as some but she was a reoccurring boss in Super Mario Bros 2/USA and has appeared in many, many Mario spin-offs. She's had more appearances than the Koopalings for one thing.

SUPPORTER LIST
  1. Me ( Guybrush20X6 Guybrush20X6 )
  2. Yomi's Biggest Fan Yomi's Biggest Fan
  3. FunAtParties FunAtParties
  4. Luminario Luminario
  5. Freduardo Freduardo
  6. P PF9
  7. AwesomeAussie27 AwesomeAussie27
  8. Kirbeh Kirbeh
  9. WeirdChillFever WeirdChillFever
  10. Some Beedrill Some Beedrill
  11. Arcadenik Arcadenik
  12. Bowserlick Bowserlick
  13. CrusherMania1592 CrusherMania1592
  14. Miifighters4Smash5 Miifighters4Smash5
  15. xjthegulpin xjthegulpin
  16. ZagarTulip ZagarTulip
  17. PsychoIncarnate PsychoIncarnate
  18. Mastermiine Mastermiine
  19. Wonks Wonks
  20. Anop Anop
  21. Luxent Luxent
  22. CaptainMapleSyrup CaptainMapleSyrup
  23. KirbyWorshipper2465 KirbyWorshipper2465
  24. KingZing KingZing
  25. The Hat Trick The Hat Trick
  26. BonafideFella BonafideFella
  27. StarCrystal20 StarCrystal20
  28. Dyllybirdy Dyllybirdy
  29. Pokelego999 Pokelego999
  30. leppy leppy
  31. pupNapoleon pupNapoleon
  32. Mushroomguy12 Mushroomguy12
  33. Darkerik Darkerik
  34. R RetrogamerMax
  35. UserKev UserKev
  36. subterrestrial subterrestrial

What do you think?

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I always loving paired these girls with my Striker team. And she's oddly adorable for an egg face.

So sure.

Daisy is still the best girl.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I support Birdo... to come back to Mario Kart. It'd be nice to see her get a role in the Yoshi series as a character of her (his?) own, so she has a better chance for things like this in the future though. I've always enjoyed the design, and the movesets potential is easily there, as you showed.

Luminario

Smash Lord
My transgender queen. She better be MK8 Deluxe DLC or I'm rioting it's been TOO LONG since she's been playable in spinoffs. I still can't believe they thought Dry Bowser is more of a popular choice than Birdo in multiple spin-off games.
For Smash, she's more of a pipe dream, since Peach covers SMB2 pretty well. Her side B could easily be shooting an egg then riding on it, while being able to pick it up and throw it at anytime. B could be a simple egg shot move that can be aimed. I'd also like to see her having more obnoxious hearts than Peach in her moveset, since in Mario Hoops 3 on 3 Peach's hearts were more ethereal while Birdo just straight up summons a giant heart then breaks it into pieces.
On a side note, I hope they eventually start calling her Birdetta in-game. I feel it would do her character justice at this point.

PF9

Smash Lord
Every male Mario protagonist should have their significant other in Smash. Mario has had Peach in Smash for over 15 years. It's time for Luigi's Daisy and especially time for Yoshi's Birdo to come into the fold (maybe throw in Candy Kong [DK's GF] and Dixie Kong [Diddy's GF] too).

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Every male Mario protagonist should have their significant other in Smash. Mario has had Peach in Smash for over 15 years. It's time for Luigi's Daisy and especially time for Yoshi's Birdo to come into the fold (maybe throw in Candy Kong [DK's GF] and Dixie Kong [Diddy's GF] too).
Bowser also has Peach ;)

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
While there are still several characters I'd like to see before Birdo, I still like the character a good bit so I support.
I support. Anyone think she could be a luigified Yoshi?
That'd probably be the best way to go imo, they have extremely similar body structure and both have an affinity for eggs. Swap Egg Lay for Egg Shot, and tweak/change some normals to differentiate her a bit and she'd pretty much be good to go.
The only love connection Peach has to Bowser is flying into his face with her rear end.
ftfy, because Peach Bomber (and she doesn't actually use any punches) :p
If the spin-offs and RPGs are anything to go by though, they're more than likely still on good if not awkward/at times conflicting terms. Same between Mario & Bowser.

Fight each other one day, hang out together the next. That's the Mario series for you.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Moveset time suckers.

Neutral B: Egg Spit
Birdo spits an egg.
The egg can be fired in seven directions:

Upwards (Affected by gravity)
Diagonally upwards (Affected by gravity, lob) (Left and right)
Horizontally (Not affected by gravity) (Left and right)
Diagonally downwards (Rolling over the floor) (Left and right)

The eggs move slower than Yoshi's, moving at the same speed as Pac-Man's Galaxian

Two eggs can be onto the battlefield at the same time.

The egg damages opponents if hit.
Nothing really exciting yet.

Side B: Mushroom Block
Birdo spits out a Mushroom Block.
Up to three Mushroom Blocks can be on-stage at a time.
Mushroom Blocks can be used to block projectiles or as a wall in general.
She can also use them as projectiles, but that isn't their main purpose.

Up B: Heart Flight
Birdo summons a heart below her, acting like a flying carpet.
The Flying Carpet then flies diagonally upwards.
Like Wario's Bike, Birdo can jump off, in which case the carpet continues to fly in the given direction.
Birdo is not helpless after that, but she can't use any Specials until she lands.
The carpet also acts as a platform for opponents and other objects.

After a while, the heart breaks.
Anything that was on top of the carpet at that time will fall through and becomes helpless.

Down B: Suction Snout
Birdo uses her snout like a vacuum.
She can suck in opponents, in which case her Neutral B is then used to throw them away.
However, she can also use the suction to suck in her projectiles and actually have great control over them.

It works like this: if she presses Down B, she toggles on her Suction ability.
She can then fully control her suction snout.
With the control stick, the player can aim her snout upwards and downwards.
If she has a projectile in her suction, the projectile moves the same way.
If she presses the B button during this, projectiles and enemies are sucked towards her.
This "Super Suction" can again be toggled on or off by pressing the B button.

Projectiles fully sucked into her snout can be spit with Neutral B, as she cannot suck with a full mouth.

This way, Eggs, Mushroom Blocks and even Heart Carpets can be fully controlled by Birdo, which allows her to put up a flexible wall of platforms.
She can try to carry opponents off-stage with Carpets and Mushroom Blocks, or damage them with a barrage of eggs.

Birdo can do a lot during this move as well, such as walking, running and jumping.
Attacking or shielding cancels the move, in which case projectiles sucked in fall down.

"Smashing" the Control Stick while pressing B also cancels the move, but this time any projectiles that were flying around before being sucked in retain fheir old momentum!

Another, non-damaging purpose of this move is to place down the Mushroom Blocks.

Items can be sucked in with this move as well.
Unlike Kirby, Birdo does not heal by sucking up food, but she does get hurt when sucking up bombs.

Be warned that objects sucked cannot be controlled to move forwards, which makes Birdo a very defensive oriented character.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Moveset time suckers.

Birdo spits an egg.

The eggs move slower than Yoshi's, moving at the same speed as Pac-Man's Galaxian

Like Wario's Bike, Birdo can jump off, in which case the carpet continues to fly in the given direction.
Birdo is not helpless after that, but she can't use any Specials until she lands.

Anything that was on top of the carpet at that time will fall through and becomes helpless.

She can suck in opponents, in which case her Neutral B is then used to throw them away.
However, she can also use the suction to suck in her projectiles and actually have great control over them.

If she presses the B button during this, projectiles and enemies are sucked towards her.

Projectiles fully sucked into her snout can be spit with Neutral B, as she cannot suck with a full mouth.

This way, Eggs, Mushroom Blocks and even Heart Carpets can be fully controlled by Birdo, which allows her to put up a flexible wall of platforms.
She can try to carry opponents off-stage with Carpets and Mushroom Blocks, or damage them with a barrage of eggs.

Birdo can do a lot during this move as well, such as walking, running and jumping.
Attacking or shielding cancels the move, in which case projectiles sucked in fall down.

"Smashing" the Control Stick while pressing B also cancels the move, but this time any projectiles that were flying around before being sucked in retain fheir old momentum!

Another, non-damaging purpose of this move is to place down the Mushroom Blocks.

Unlike Kirby, Birdo does not heal by sucking up food, but she does get hurt when sucking up bombs.

Be warned that objects sucked cannot be controlled to move forwards, which makes Birdo a very defensive oriented character.
This is really well done. I love how you incorporated iconic SMB2 mechanics like the flying carpet and the mushroom block that I would never have thought of and made Birdo pretty unique with her B moves alone. Would the mushroom blocks be regular items or would the be heavy like crates? And can the itemless eggs be picked up?

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
This is really well done. I love how you incorporated iconic SMB2 mechanics like the flying carpet and the mushroom block that I would never have thought of and made Birdo pretty unique with her B moves alone. Would the mushroom blocks be regular items or would the be heavy like crates? And can the itemless eggs be picked up?
Mushroom Block is heavy, although Birdo can walk normally if she sucks them up.
Eggs are items as well, except they're light items like Veggies

EDIT:
I'm gonna try to make a better version of this moveset, balancing it and making sure it fits Birdo thematically (thus ditching the Mushroom Blocks)

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Moveset time suckers.

Birdo spits an egg.

I like everything outside of the Mushroom blocks, but I really like everything else. Your descriptions are so detailed it makes them easy to visualize.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I like everything outside of the Mushroom blocks, but I really like everything else. Your descriptions are so detailed it makes them easy to visualize.
I don't like the Mushroom Blocks either, but I wouldn't know what else I could use.

EDIT: I currently have thought of two substitutes for the Mushroom Block.

First is the Crystal Ball.
In the original, it'd open the Mask Door, ending the level.
In Smash, it'd probably just do a ton of damage, ending the stock

Another, more original idea is using the Vase.
Being twice as tall as Mario, they'd serve the same purpose as wall that the Mushroom Blocks served, on top of potentionally bringing even more as they drop items when smashed.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I don't like the Mushroom Blocks either, but I wouldn't know what else I could use.
It's actually growing on me. Reason I'm hesitant to accept it is, in my head Lip should be in Smash as well, and it's really similar to her suggested block stacking lol.

It also makes me wonder if 3 should be available at a time. I know they're meant to build walls, but maybe they could be repurposed to be used as additional platforms, or even spawn certain items within battle? I think being able to have 3 blocks, 2 eggs, and the carpet on the battlefield at the same time may be a little over whelming.

What really interests me is the potential of suction. Combined with her carpet, it sounds like it could hold some really interesting options. Could be used to mix up recovery, lead into crazy combos, honestly it just sounds like a lot of fun.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Remember that Birdo can shoot fireballs too. Though I'm not sure how that would work into a moveset besides a custom.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
It's actually growing on me. Reason I'm hesitant to accept it is, in my head Lip should be in Smash as well, and it's really similar to her suggested block stacking lol.

It also makes me wonder if 3 should be available at a time. I know they're meant to build walls, but maybe they could be repurposed to be used as additional platforms, or even spawn certain items within battle? I think being able to have 3 blocks, 2 eggs, and the carpet on the battlefield at the same time may be a little over whelming.

What really interests me is the potential of suction. Combined with her carpet, it sounds like it could hold some really interesting options. Could be used to mix up recovery, lead into crazy combos, honestly it just sounds like a lot of fun.
The first thing that came into my Pac-Man-trap-infested mind is forcing the opponent into helplessness by putting a carpet under it when the carpet is about to break
Getting a platform under you in general might mess with your controls, such as performing a laggy tilt instead of that quick Forward Air.
If Birdo would inherit Yoshi's high jumps, she can even pull a carpet from under the opponent in order to lift it up (but she'd need very low fall speed plus the highest jumps in the game for that)

The eggs wouldn't stay around for long though, as they break on impact.
Then again I always build way too trap-based moveset, but to my defense SMB2 is an item-heavy game

I think Vases would be the best substitute for Mushroom Blocks.
They fit Birdo thematically if they get a lovely pink paint job on top of taking over the blocks' purpose as walls and platforms (or even as an improvised bridge to hang over platforms).
Potentionally add items inside of the vase to surprise opponents.

Remember that Birdo can shoot fireballs too. Though I'm not sure how that would work into a moveset besides a custom.
Not really interesting for Specials, unless you'd build it into a Bob-Omb/Bomb-inspired moveset, so that the fireball would light the bomb's fuse.
A Smash where Birdo spews pink fire from her mouth would suit the fire-power better imo.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
If Birdo would inherit Yoshi's high jumps, she can even pull a carpet from under the opponent in order to lift it up (but she'd need very low fall speed plus the highest jumps in the game for that)
I'm confused by this part, can you elaborate?

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Imagine the carpet on the stage, with the opponent right above it and Birdo right above the opponent.
Birdo could aim her Suction Snout downwards to pull the carpet up.
The opponent would then get lifted up by the carpet.
Oh ok thanks

Some Beedrill

Smash Apprentice
Birdo can be Yoshi but with the Kirby/ Dedede neutral special. Also, instead of having a flutter jump, Birdo would have 2 normal jumps and a up special where she looks down and spits an egg that launches her upward. P. S. I support

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I hope Mario Tennis Aces has more time in the oven than "ultra" Smash got.

That way Yoshi can get his doubles partner back.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
B for Eggs
Side+B for Fireballs

Or

Side+B for Eggs
Smash Side+B for Fireballs

There are also normal A moves that could incorporate Fireballs. For example, Mario throws Fireballs with B and punches with flaming hands with Smash Forward.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Birdo seems to have been left behind in Sports games as of late but still show up in RPGs. I guess that the side effect of the "STOP MAKING YOUR OCs! WHAT DO YOU THINK THIS IS DEVIANT ART?!" decree that seems to be going on.

PF9

Smash Lord
If Birdo were to get in, and there was a Story Mode I'd want her to team up with Yoshi in the Story Mode.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Birdo is heavier, stronger and slower than Yoshi. Birdo has two average jumps.

Birdo B: Suction - Acts like Kirby and Dedede's inhale. Except the enemy sticks to her snout. She then gets a target allowing her to aim the direction she spits out her foe. Cannot move.

Toward B: Egg Shot - Shoots out an egg. Can have two out at a time. The egg acts like an item. She can ride them.

Down B: Ground Pound

Up B: Yoshi Jump - Birdo performs Yoshi's second jump (not as high). Egg shots in this state are fireballs that cannot be grabbed.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Moveset time suckers.

Birdo spits an egg.

Gotta admit, that's the most unique moveset I have ever seen in Birdo

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Gotta admit, that's the most unique moveset I have ever seen in Birdo
I actually think including Vases from Super Mario Bros. 2 instead of Mushroom Blocks would fit her thematically, while also having thr potential of forming makeshift portable walls, bridges and ledges through Suction Snout.
Imagine putting one horizontally over the ledge to block the edge and causing a stage-spike? Or in team battles, use one as a platform for the less recovery savvy.
Heck, put one in between platforms as a bridge!

Last edited:

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
Birdo is heavier, stronger and slower than Yoshi. Birdo has two average jumps.

Neutral B: Suction - Acts like Kirby and Dedede's inhale. Except the enemy sticks to her snout. She then gets a target allowing her to aim the direction she spits out her foe. Cannot move.

Side B: Egg Shot - Shoots out an egg. Can have two out at a time. The egg acts like an item. She can ride them.

Down B: Ground Pound

Up B: Yoshi Jump - Birdo performs Yoshi's second jump (not as high). Egg shots in this state are fireballs that cannot be grabbed.
Here's My Idea for her final Smash: Robirdo (She basically transforms into the GBA-Exclusive Robirdo Boss, and is able to shoot GIANT Eggs, and make a Giant downward Impact)

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Good news: according to a tote bag, Birdo will Be in Mario Tennis Aces!

PF9

Smash Lord
Birdo should have as her victory theme a reorchestration of the theme from SMB2 that plays when one grabs a crystal from a defeated Birdo. That or the theme that plays when you defeat the world boss in SMB2.

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
Birdo should have as her victory theme a reorchestration of the theme from SMB2 that plays when one grabs a crystal from a defeated Birdo. That or the theme that plays when you defeat the world boss in SMB2.
I think Robirdo from Super Mario Advance should be HER Final Smash!!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So now the dust has settled, Mushroom Kingdom II is back but Birdo (and in the same vein, Tingle) are nowhere to be seen.

Not sure what it means but it's something to hold on to.

xjthegulpin

Smash Apprentice
Add me in, I love Birdo a lot. I’m so glad she’s making a comeback in the tennis scene as DLC. Sadly, she doesn’t seem to be featured in Super Mario Party. She seems like a perfect Yoshi echo fighter with different specials.

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
Add me in, I love Birdo a lot. I’m so glad she’s making a comeback in the tennis scene as DLC. Sadly, she doesn’t seem to be featured in Super Mario Party. She seems like a perfect Yoshi echo fighter with different specials.
She wouldn't QUITE Be an Echo Fighter; for THESE Reasons:
A. She Shoots eggs out of her Mouth
B. She doesn't use a tongue to eat, she instead inhales using her snout(Most Likely)
C. She'd MOST Likely have a Different Final Smash(Echo Fighters MOST Likely have the same Final Smash; such as Daisy, Lucina, and PROBABLY Dark Pit) and the Most Fitting would be the Robirdo from Super Mario Advance; but since Transformations are no longer controllable in this game; She'd most likely use her robot's ground pound, then Shoot a GIANT Egg at them

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
She wouldn't QUITE Be an Echo Fighter; for THESE Reasons:
A. She Shoots eggs out of her Mouth
B. She doesn't use a tongue to eat, she instead inhales using her snout(Most Likely)
C. She'd MOST Likely have a Different Final Smash(Echo Fighters MOST Likely have the same Final Smash; such as Daisy, Lucina, and PROBABLY Dark Pit) and the Most Fitting would be the Robirdo from Super Mario Advance; but since Transformations are no longer controllable in this game; She'd most likely use her robot's ground pound, then Shoot a GIANT Egg at them
Dark Pit is back with the staff

Top Bottom