• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stylin' On You! Two! A Western New York Tournament. March 13th Payout and Stages vote

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
arent you like the only person thats ever CPd someone to PS2 in NYS? ever?

not implying anything, i just want to make sure I have the facts straight.

Kantō

Smash Champion
yea only cuz i knew i was gunna lose haha

but seriously man, why are those stages on there, im not trying to pick a fight or argue i just want to know. it is your tourney and u have last say, i understand that. but come on the past 6 pages of this thread is people bithcing about stages.

Acton

Smash Journeyman
yea im not worried bout that, i just dont like pictochat, distant plantet, ps2 or hanonbow.
QFT.

Seriously get that **** outta here. Makes our region look like a joke. <_<

Since a lot of people seem to not like these CPs I suggest making a petition. Anyone that plans to attend this event PM me and I'll get a petition going.

DahremRuhar

Smash Ace
Theres actually a kirby player at RIT that I play with twice a week, and when i found out he played kirby way back at the beginning of the school year, that was the first thing I taught him how to do. lol

you can stall with it potentially. but rock runs on a five second or so timer and than hes forced to transform back. at which point he is vulnerable. not only that, but if you suspect that somebody is using that tactic to stall the match out, feel free to call me over and i will personally dq them.

also, if you werent aware, picto also gives sonic an invincible spindash and DK an invincible spinning kong.

I actually just sent an attendee a sizable email because he questioned me about the viablity of that stage.

Just trust me on this one. Pictochat is a viable tournament stage.
Its your tournament. I'll trust you. Just don't expect to see me counterpick picto. (though I might just do it to throw people off)

Kantō

Smash Champion
this will be the stage list for brawl at SS3, why not make it the same?

neutrals:

FD
BF
PS1
SV
Lylat

CP stages:

Castle siege
rainbow cruise
jungle japes
halberd
Delfino plaza
brinstar
corneria (doubles only)

TheManaLord

Smash Hero

neutrals:

FD
BF
PS1
SV
Lylat

CP stages:

+PS1
+Lylat
+Yoshi's brawl stage (idk name)
Castle siege
rainbow cruise
jungle japes
halberd
Delfino plaza
brinstar
corneria (doubles only)
imo .

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
yea only cuz i knew i was gunna lose haha

but seriously man, why are those stages on there, im not trying to pick a fight or argue i just want to know. it is your tourney and u have last say, i understand that. but come on the past 6 pages of this thread is people bithcing about stages.
Its not like im not listening to people here. i banned 2 or three stages already because people didnt want them on.

If the people collectively dont want certain stages on than I will take them off. but people didnt start getting up in arms about it until the last week. prior to that people, brought up issues, I provided reasoning as why my stages was what it was and nothing more was brought up. that happened about a month ago. Now fast forward to like 5 days ago, and now everyones acting like im some tyrannical ruler forcing people to drive here for a tourney they dont even want to come to.

Ive been talking to Cura on aim about our differing views on acceptable stages ever since he moved here. syracuse tourneys have their rules and i have rules for my tournaments. he talks about how he doesnt like my stage list. but its always just been his opinion vs. mine and we run our tourneys the way we want because neither of us should have to change our rules just because of what one other person wants. but when a large group, possibly the majority of attendees feel a certain way, that is when something must be done and I feel I have done that acceptably.

Im kinda upset that you all would paint me as some horrible person because I want to try new things.

QFT.

Seriously get that **** outta here. Makes our region look like a joke. <_<

Since a lot of people seem to not like these CPs I suggest making a petition. Anyone that plans to attend this event PM me and I'll get a petition going.
See this? this is the kind of unnecessary thing im talking about. theres no need to get in a frenzy about this, I have told you time and time again if it seems like the majority of people want something changed, ill change it. its just that at the first tourney i just wanted to try new things, after that, you guys had your say it what stayed and what went. cura spoke up to me about this. but until 3 days ago, i was under the impression that he was just an army of 1 trying to force me to do things his way, because nobody else spoke up and would civily discuss things with me.

neutrals:

FD
BF
PS1
SV
Lylat

CP stages:

Castle siege
rainbow cruise
jungle japes
halberd
Delfino plaza
brinstar
corneria (doubles only)
1. yoshi's island brawl and frigate orpheon are banned?
2. I slightly disagree with lylat being neutral.
3. Hanenbow is a more competitive doubles stage than corneria.

4. Heres the way I see it. And please, people, dont get upset at the example.

Im of the impression that I can beat everyone in this region below Dr. G pretty soundly. Are the people that I think i have a solid advantage on going to beat me on smashville?
No.
If those people were to counterpick me to distant planet or ps2 or what-have-you, would they beat me then?
I dont think so.
That leads me to believe that theres nothing fundamentally wrong with these stages that alters the out come of matches that were going to go in one specific direction anyway. That says to me that theres nothing inherently wrong with the stages that makes them bannable other than "this stage is borring", "this stage is gay", "this stage killed me and i dont know why" or "this stage made me lose because I dont know how it works"

but like I have said repeatedly, I put the attendees of my tournament first, so I will do what I can to make sure that they have an enjoyable experience. and thats my first priority.

However, I would like to add that I am Quite adamant about the viability of Pictochat and jungle japes as acceptable tournament stages.

DahremRuhar

Smash Ace
Im of the impression that I can beat everyone in this region below Dr. G pretty soundly.
Uh-oh Goggles, are you trying to challenge me? Cause I've never played Dr G and I KNOW I can beat you.

JUST KIDDING! :laugh: Aren't I funny. Still, I plan on playing you again at this tournament. And this time, I won't be using Ganon.

Kantō

Smash Champion
okay goggles. your entitled to your own opinions and i just wanted to know them. i may disagree with your opinions on some things but hey, we cant all agree. so im willing to agree to disagree on this one. and i especially dont want any hard feelings going to anyone about this. Roc tourneys are just different than Syracuse tourneys and im willing to except that.

and im gunna get wicked good on ps2 just to be a ****!

DahremRuhar

Smash Ace
In response to that post, I don't like hanenbow for a perfectly valid reason. It doesn't use pre made music, so in other words, NO MUSIC HACKS!

Also, who wants me to bring my sd card and show off the next generation of brawl hacks? Model hacks from non-brawl games! I have Kain from final fantasy 4. Too bad we can't have Kefka or Sephiroth...

Yes I am a hacker...

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
You can substitute electroplankton, I'm pretty sure, but you'll still have the stage-chimes over it, I guess.

You just replace R03.brstm.... though I admit I haven't tried it.

I dun mind most character textures that don't change the size of anything (san has lots of acceptable ones I know for sure,) but I definitely would prefer them off by tourney time. STAGE, though, I don't want unless they're incredibly subtle or make things easier to see, generally... and there's no way I could play a serious match with a stage texture.

-I patch music too, and as far as I recall, so does altarian, I think maybe bry, and at least one other person in the buff/roch/syracuse reigon.

Kantō

Smash Champion
i love the texture hacks. oh yea and darhem thanks for that PT texture.

i would love to see your new projects as well.

altairian

Smash Lord
and im gunna get wicked good on ps2 just to be a ****!
ps2 is one of pikachu's best cp's. ;)

People look down on our region because our region is bad aside from the top 3 or 4 players. Those of us that went to VC saw firsthand just how competitive one of the top regions is. Stop johning about dumb stuff like the stage list and get better at the game.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero

People look down on our region because our region is bad aside from the top 7 or 8 players. Those of us that went to VC saw firsthand just how competitive one of the top regions is. Stop johning about dumb stuff like the stage list and get better at the game.
1. Fixed for slightly more accuracy.
2. Thanks for saying this, because it would have been a total D-bag move if it had came from me for some reason.

Acton

Smash Journeyman

People look down on our region because our region is bad aside from the top 3 or 4 players. Those of us that went to VC saw firsthand just how competitive one of the top regions is. Stop johning about dumb stuff like the stage list and get better at the game.
Compared to highly populated regions like NJ/NY yes we look bad, but I'd say as far as our skill level goes we're pretty average. NJ is at he pinnacle of skill.

I was at VC myself and I saw how good they where but still, that has nothing to do with how ******** pictochat is.

No.
If those people were to counterpick me to distant planet or ps2 or what-have-you, would they beat me then?
I dont think so.
This really isn't about you though. I myself feel that there are a decent amount of people I can go head to head with who will be attending this event, and because of these stupid CPs I might lose because I don't have experience on these stages.

Before I went to VC I trained for a week on their set of neutrals because some of them we don't use up here. (Lylat Cruise). These sort of stages that no one uses really can throw people off assuming x player and y player are at a compatible skill level.

Until I read this topic I had no idea about that kirby trick on pictochat. . . and before this event why would I even bother to investigate or care? It's not like pictochat is every played. And if you don't think that **** can be abused, then you should see some of 13370's matches on Brinstar.

Just because you know everything about these stages doesn't mean everyone else will, or should they be expected to know.

Edit: Oh also I agree with Alts original statement, only the top 3-4 people in this region are worth talking about when compared to the top people of every other region. Yes I'm saying this from the position of a scrub, but I know where I stand. It just kinda pisses me off when people make themselves out to be hot **** when they really aren't that great. <_<

MCmaniacDBR

Smash Apprentice
Edit: Oh also I agree with Alts original statement, only the top 3-4 people in this region are worth talking about when compared to the top people of every other region. Yes I'm saying this from the position of a scrub, but I know where I stand. It just kinda pisses me off when people make themselves out to be hot **** when they really aren't that great. <_<

*eagerly awaits foy's response*

Kantō

Smash Champion
actually i like ps2. i change my mind after playing it all day. i still think pictochat and hanenbow are ********, but respect others opinions.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
Just because you know everything about these stages doesn't mean everyone else will, or should they be expected to know.
People are good because they know everything that can possibly happen in the game, understand the implications of certain things more than others, and are better at using their knowledge.
Not knowing the movement patterns on a certain stage due to little or no practice is not an excuse to not play on said stage.

Agreed with most of the rest of what you said... This part just bothered me.

Acton

Smash Journeyman
Why should I bother to learn about an aspect of the game that is clearly ********? It's like saying I should learn everything about items, or try to learn MKs infinite cape glitch tech skill etc.

I think my time would be much better spent learning the legit aspects of the game, not the parts that no one cares about. I mean its not like I have unlimited amounts of free time to just sit here and learn about obsuce aspects of the game that in 99% situations said knowledge is useless.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Jash might have a ride from one of our friends if he is going. I think I'll go to this as well. Our friend will get back to us durning the week. If he is able to drive us, then we are there.

I might enter melee. Even if I do bad, that game is so much fun and it has been a while since I entered a melee tournament. My last one was pound 3. I heard Jash will team with Eevee. She is a good player. Me and Jash did Peach/TL before and ***** so hard. So I know he can do well with Eevee.

Idk if I am gonna enter brawl with how I been doing in tournaments. I dont have confidence anymore and not the player I was in the summer. But I think I would do doubles. I'm good at those. So anyone good that wants to team. AGood Peach in teams is open.I have teamed with lots of characters and done well. This is my history:

Peach/ROB= 1st (TeeVee)
Peach/TL= 5th (Jash)
Peach/Meta and Luigi= 9th (Jbandrew
Peach/DK= 5th (Bum)
Peach/G&W= 9th (PGN)

ManofPassion

Smash Rookie
Yo what up there might be a ManofPassion showing up to this tourny I am looking for a doubles partner for brawl only.

Sharky

Smash Master
Dark Peach, I'd try hitting up either XXX (wario and some other chars) or maybe DBR (MK?). They're both decent, I dunno if anyone else that's at least decent is available, though.

and acton, I'd learn something if it were to help me, whether it's stupid or not. If I knew something "stupid" and it cost you a set between us, how stupid was it, really?

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
To fight against or team with. Ether way Meta is fun to fight and he is seriously does not bother me at all, win or lose to him. People call me insane cause of this and I have so much confidence against meta. Guess that is why I can fight him well with Peach. Wish I was like that agains the rest of the cast :/

I would not mind teaming with a Meta. If the meta is a smart player, I am able to do serious damage with him.

Acton

Smash Journeyman
Okay lets say two people sat down to play a game.

Game x has a certain number of "Rules", or "Aspects", which in this case I'll define as x y and z.

If a player wants to become skilled at game x then they are going to learn all about rules or aspects x y and z. Now said player plans to attend an event which features game x. And then about a week or so before said event, the organizer of the event decides to plug in a new aspect, aspect w.

Now after countless time of learning all about aspects x y and z said player has one week to learn all about aspect w.

Why can't we just stick to the usual stages? If its all about skill, then why have all these new stages?

Having all these new stages that no one ever plays isn't fair imo. For each stage most players have specific stratagies against x character. For instance I know that if I'm facing ICs I usually want to go BF to avoid the grab. Or if I have to go to sv I know that its going to be harder for me to camp because of its size, Or if its ps1 I know all about the ******** ledge, and each of its phases and what I should do.

Sharky, whenever I play a set with you I agree to play by said rules. If I felt the rules where unfair I probably wouldn't agree to the match. Both players in any match have an understanding of what the circumstances of the match is, and respect those rules. If I ***** about it afterwards thats what we call Johning.

But right now I have a legitimate concern with some of these cps so I'm just voicing my opinion. Others clearly feel the same way. -shrug-

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Compared to highly populated regions like NJ/NY yes we look bad, but I'd say as far as our skill level goes we're pretty average. NJ is at he pinnacle of skill.

I was at VC myself and I saw how good they where but still, that has nothing to do with how ******** pictochat is.
attending one large tournament doesnt give you the right to judge anything which is kinda the feeling im getting here.

however, since you WERE at VC, you should know my good friend malcolm. One of the best players in one of the best regions. take a minute to read what he has to say.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=249631

post #12 is quite good in addition to the OP.

This really isn't about you though. I myself feel that there are a decent amount of people I can go head to head with who will be attending this event, and because of these stupid CPs I might lose because I don't have experience on these stages.
Than GET experience on the stage, thats why we announce tourneys so early. so people can make plans to be prepared for the tournament.

oh and btw, if you lose because somebody CPd you to a stage you dont have exp. on.

THAT WAS A GOOD COUNTERPICK

thats the point of a CP. to pick a stage your opponent wont win on, either due to character limitation or player inexperience.

Before I went to VC I trained for a week on their set of neutrals because some of them we don't use up here. (Lylat Cruise). These sort of stages that no one uses really can throw people off assuming x player and y player are at a compatible skill level.
Thats the point. If you and bry are at a comparitive skill level and he beats you because you dont know how to play pictochat, that makes him a better/smarter player because he knows the game better than you.

Until I read this topic I had no idea about that kirby trick on pictochat. . . and before this event why would I even bother to investigate or care? It's not like pictochat is every played. And if you don't think that **** can be abused, then you should see some of 13370's matches on Brinstar.
This to me is like saying, why should I watch videos of m2k and ally, when I play falco?

Actually, thats EXACTLY what it means...

I suppose people that dont know that the win is awarded to the person that is winning in percent in the event of a time out, shouldnt have to take a loss right?

The first post even states that its the players responsibility to know all of the rules.

Why should I bother to learn about an aspect of the game that is clearly ********? It's like saying I should learn everything about items, or try to learn MKs infinite cape glitch tech skill etc.

I think my time would be much better spent learning the legit aspects of the game, not the parts that no one cares about. I mean its not like I have unlimited amounts of free time to just sit here and learn about obsuce aspects of the game that in 99% situations said knowledge is useless.
actually i like ps2. i change my mind after playing it all day. i still think pictochat and hanenbow are ********, but respect others opinions.
because stuff like this can happen, and youll realise after a little while that things arent really as cut and dry as you believe them to be at first.
Okay lets say two people sat down to play a game.

Game x has a certain number of "Rules", or "Aspects", which in this case I'll define as x y and z.

If a player wants to become skilled at game x then they are going to learn all about rules or aspects x y and z. Now said player plans to attend an event which features game x. And then about a week or so before said event, the organizer of the event decides to plug in a new aspect, aspect w.

Now after countless time of learning all about aspects x y and z said player has one week to learn all about aspect w.

Why can't we just stick to the usual stages? If its all about skill, then why have all these new stages?

Having all these new stages that no one ever plays isn't fair imo. For each stage most players have specific stratagies against x character. For instance I know that if I'm facing ICs I usually want to go BF to avoid the grab. Or if I have to go to sv I know that its going to be harder for me to camp because of its size, Or if its ps1 I know all about the ******** ledge, and each of its phases and what I should do.

Sharky, whenever I play a set with you I agree to play by said rules. If I felt the rules where unfair I probably wouldn't agree to the match. Both players in any match have an understanding of what the circumstances of the match is, and respect those rules. If I ***** about it afterwards thats what we call Johning.

But right now I have a legitimate concern with some of these cps so I'm just voicing my opinion. Others clearly feel the same way. -shrug-
So basically you have absolutely no idea how applicable this stage is for competitive play and you just want it banned because you dont know it as well as some other people do....?

And I supposed we shouldnt ban mk SOLELY because Jason Zimmerman spent so much of his time and energy getting good with the character right?

To fight against or team with. Ether way Meta is fun to fight and he is seriously does not bother me at all, win or lose to him. People call me insane cause of this and I have so much confidence against meta. Guess that is why I can fight him well with Peach. Wish I was like that agains the rest of the cast :/

I would not mind teaming with a Meta. If the meta is a smart player, I am able to do serious damage with him.
DP, I think we could team. Sonic and peach sounds like an amazing (albeit REALLY really bad) team but my teams sonic has been off recently and I do play a pretty legit wolf, and wolf teams well with anybody.

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
Sure, sure; but the question is to more of the reliability of pictochat or distant planet as it applies to competitive play. Goggles finds that most pictochat hazards (immediate damage) don't lead to your death by coincidence by appearing in a moment. My experience leads me to agree; generally, I don't see the stage kill you with hazards faster than you can recognize the stage change. And after that, it's simply knowing and managing the terrain. Since the time for stage swaps is pretty consistent too, you can definitely learn to give yourself space for a few seconds if you're worried about a potential terrain shift wrenching something up when you're spaced more dangerously.

Learning to deal with the different terrain isn't that hard (though I'm preeeetty bad at it.)

Also, pictochat, I basically view as PS1 with a bigger bag of tricks. Sure there's a few hazards that could POTENTIALLY kill you in a situation, but it also doesn't keep it's changes quite as long, and thus doesn't have clearly recognizable strong spots for different characters at different percents for each substage. The amount of change you get out of the pictochat stages is bigger overall- you can throw off your opponent a lot more than PS1, which has gameplay very similar to other stages (except for the windmill and tree that divides the stage, though personally I think the windmill is full of all sorts of dumb.)

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Kid, I'll see. But I might team with TheManlord.

Also I looked at the stage rules. Stages like distance planet, japes and hanebow are on? Why is that? I know you guiys do things different up here, but I am not so sure these should be up as counters. really distant planet.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
feel free to tell us why you dont like the stages dark.

essentially:

distant planet: i dont see anything explicitly broken or banable about the stage. all it does is make people fight at odd angles. If enough people have issue, ill still ban it.
hanenbow: the main issue that got hanenbow banned in the first place was that it was susceptible to circle camping, and that issue is pretty much negated in doubles.
japes: its unique characteristics make it a good counterpick, and the klaptrap appears at very specific time intervals.

I know I can count on dark to have a mature discussion on this.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Distant planet has easy kill zones that makes it really easy for over powered characters to win. And you can't fight well on there. Really if you get pushed to the side and it starts raining.

Japes I dont have too much of a problem with to be honest. i use that stage against snakes. And was really the only counterpick stage I have on him. But characters like Falco can do that gay crap he does there and make it like unwinable. That stage was mostly banned cause of him I believe. And the fact that the clap trap comes in every 10 secs. I think other characters can do gay tatics here that make it unfar to play on. Not sure about this.

Pittochat can be another fight probelem when the drawings come in. Which makes it hard for both players with any character to play on. But same time it is not that serious. I forgot the reason that was banned.

Hanenbow is Not a balanced place to fight on due to limited spaces for upclose combat. and people can camp like crazy there.

Thats how I see it. I know there is other and better reasons these stages are gone then the ones I brought up. But I think it be best if you use the stage rules like NY/NJ does to make it legit.

Sharky

Smash Master
goggles play me I'll show you how DP does nothing but greatly encourage camping. I won't complain because I love 2-3 stocking people and all, and I do have other cp's, but yeah.

also unless I'm mistaken the majority of people posting here have been against ps2 at the very least.

edit: as usual, I'll be accepting any and all eating contest mm's. get at mah iron stomach

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
Acton mentioned one really strong point on distant planet that I hadn't experienced, but makes a lot of sense. Due to the angle, your character might have basically canned all their bad blind spots if they back to the edge of the cliff. Not that this isn't hazardless, with the rainfall (though it's well foreshadowed by the stage,) but is still a reaaaally strong situational position that could wreck someone silly if the character can't attack low or get behind the defender easily. Though, I guess that's part of why it's counterpick- a stage scenario to favor you, right? Others are that the stage's area of practical use for characters with a poor recovery is bad: the center platform shields from the walk-off hazards, but makes it easy to put you in a bad recovery situation since there's a LOT of open space to the right, and a bulborb. Not too many recovery options. So, I don't like it much, and it's really the only stage I'm not fond of, but that's just me, and I admit my opinion on it isn't well-founded at all.

Japes: I like it. Not just because I play DK either; it's succeptible to stalling, perhaps, but that's no good anyway. klaptrap isn't that bad, and is equal-opportunity given the specific intervals.

Hanenbow: ****, I love this stage, but don't have much of an argument for it. It allows for some really interesting high/low dynamics between combatants, and even partners.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
ill just ban DP. its not that big an issue.

falco on japes really isnt that bad. It was bad back in the day when people couldnt consistently powershield stuff. but now people are better so that isnt a huge problem. He does get some really good boosts to his movement ability due to the middle platform being lower. he can side b from one side to the other really fast. overall its a really good stage for him, but its not TOO good.

Check the links that ive posted in my last few posts, and I think youll find a very convincing arguement for the viability of pictochat.

Hanenbow is quite campable, but i dont think its overly campable.

Top Bottom