• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stylin' On Ya! A Western New York Tournament. December 5th AND 6th.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOYPUjOQVeQ

Stylin' On Ya!
SBR Certified and Enhanced

A K.I.D.Goggles Production. In association with Cyberstorm Gaming.

So after the success of The Return of Rochester, theres no way we are just going to let our smash scene just fade away again. So here we are. Rochester Smash, ready to trash kids on our home turf once again, and style hard on anybody that dares to challenge us. STEP YA GAME UP!

Where?

This event will be held at Cyberstorm Gaming, in Henrietta.
3047 West Henrietta Road
Henrietta, New York. 14623

Who?
Being run by myself.
K.I.D.Goggles.
Facebook:Search KIDGoggles or Kyle Flournoy
cell: 585-269-8444
aim: KIDGoggles
email: kid689@earthlink.net

With help from Co-TOs:
Cura and Goodies:

When?
Saturday and Sunday, December 5th and 6th

Last time was my first time running a tourney, but this time i have thing on lockdown so things will be done much more smoothly.
Saturday:
2pm: Arrival + Friendlies
3:30pm. I will Arrive. and thus Ill be doing registration.
4pm. Melee Doubles.
about 5:30pm Doubles should be over and ill give people some time to get food (Yes Im actually going to do it this time. Theres is an abbott's arby's, KFC, Sushi joint, mickey Ds, and wendys within walking distance and a tim horton's and mall food court with in driving distance.)
about 6pm. Melee singles.
Sunday:
Same Exact schedule, but replace Melee with Brawl.

What?

Entry Will be 5 dollars per event, making a total of 20 dollars for all events together. There will be a 5 dollar venue fee added additionally to use the awesomely lighted, climate controlled, spacious facilities of the Cyberstorm LAN center. Oh and half the people that show up to this one wont get the flu, I think we can all agree that thats an added bonus thats worth a couple extra bucks.

We NEED More SETUPS!

IF WE DONT HAVE ENOUGH SETUPS, WE WONT GET THROUGH EVERYTHING!! AND WE DONT LIKE NOT GETTING THROUGH OUR EVENTS :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

as many wiis and gamecubes as people have the abilty to bring will be massively helpful, althoughyou definitely should take the time to personalise or in some way mark your wii to differentiate between your wiis and other wiis. This has never been a problem in this area, but it never hurts to make sure when it comes to things of this nature.

Brawl rules.
Goodies has told me that he would like to have a discussion on the rules for the games, this discussion will be taking place here, and anyone that has any input, feel free to add to the discussion.

General rules:

3 Stock

7 minute timer

Items are set to "off" and "none"

All sets with the exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches

All Sets are treated as new sets, and Continuation sets will NOT be in effect.

Winner's Losers's and Grand finals will all be best of 5 sets.

In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors

No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.

In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.

If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.

Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.

All suicide moves, with both players on their last stock will count as a win for the person that initiated the move.

You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

Stalling is banned. I will determine on the spot what stalling is and will warn and DQ players at my own discretion. You dont know what my judgement is like, so its in your best interest to not test me.

THE KID RULE!

COACHING is BANNED.

In general WNY tradition. Trash-talking is ENCOURAGED, but intentionally telling a player of anothers tendancies or habits mid game is coaching and will be dealt with sternly. DO NOT DO IT.

NOTE. THE KID RULE DOES NOT APPLY TO PARTNERS IN DOUBLES MATCHES.

Set format (In Order of Procedure):
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match

Stage Lists

Players may choose between themselves a neutral for the first match, but otherwise, random neutrals will be selected for the first stage.

Starter:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island

Counter:

Castle Siege
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Pokémon Stadium 1
Distant Planet
Green Greens
Brinstar
Delfino
Frigate Orpheon
Jungle Japes
Pictochat
Pokémon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise
Hanenbow (Doubles only)

Banned
Everything else

GET AT MY 17.5 STAGES ATLANTIC NORTH!!!

Additional Rules for Doubles Play
Life Stealing is allowed
Set team attack to ON

Color Blind rule: Should a player have a color-based disability, he or she may request in a teams match to have a specific color for their team. This is so characters such as Lucario or Sonic can be granted the blue team so that there is not unnecessary confusion.

Cruddy Game Rules! lol j/k. Melee Rules

General Rules

Items are set to off

The stock is set to 4 *

The time limit is set to 6 minutes.

All sets are best of 3 matches W/L/G finals are Best of 5

In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors

No player may choose the stage they last won on

Ties will be broken by lives, then percentage. In the event of a percentage tie, one stock sudden death will be played

Wobbling is allowed except when used to excessively stall a match

The Ice Climber Freeze Glitch is banned

Jigglypuff's rising pound stall is banned

Peach's bomber stall beneath levels where she is unreachable is banned (example: FoD)
*In the event of time constraints 3 stocks may be used

All Sets are treated as new sets, and Continuation sets will NOT be in effect.

No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.

In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.

If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.

All suicide moves, with both players on their last stock will count as a win for the person that initiated the move.

You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

THE KID RULE!

COACHING is BANNED.

In general WNY tradition. Trash-talking is ENCOURAGED, but intentionally telling a player of anothers tendancies or habits mid game is coaching and will be dealt with sternly. DO NOT DO IT.

NOTE. THE KID RULE DOES NOT APPLY TO PARTNERS IN A DOUBLES MATCH

Set Format (in order of procedure)
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for the entirety of the set
3. The first stage will be played at random from the Random Stage List **
4. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Random Stage List or the Counter Stage List
5. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
6. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
7. Repeat steps 4-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for this match
**Opponents may instead agree upon a random stage

Random Stage List
Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams**
Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
Past Stages: Dream Land
Past Stages: Kongo Jungle*
Special Stages: Final Destination
Special Stages: Battlefield
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List
Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
Dream Land: Green Greens
DK Island: Jungle Japes
F-Zero Grand Prix: Mute City**
Kanto Skies: Poke Floats
Lylat System: Corneria
Mushroom Kingdom: Princess Peach's Castle
Planet Zebes: Brinstar

Banned Stage List
The rest of em.

Additional Rules for Double's Play
Life Stealing is allowed
Set team attack to ON
Add F-Zero Grand Prix: Mute City to the Banned Stage List
Add Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams to the Banned Stage List

Payouts will follow the payout of 55/25/10 for the first 3 places. In addition to the venue fee, Cyberstorm will be receiving a 10% cut of the entrance fees. I think this is fair and worth the money, if youve never been there, trust me, its a really nice place.

And last but not least, the airsoft rule.
Any player that loses any set will be allowed to be shot by hammerbros airsoft gun for five minutes after the conclusion of their set.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I'll try to be there if I don't have finals or anything up soon. on the 10th I know i have one, but if I don't have any too close i'll be there =)

soma ghost

Smash Journeyman
Date looks good for me. I'm starting to play alot more Mario, wonder who i'm gonna main at this.. . ?

Foy

Smash Champion
And last but not least, the airsoft rule.
Any player that loses any set will be allowed to be shot by hammerbros airsoft gun for five minutes after the conclusion of their set.

WTF really. I cant wait to win so i can watch Jesse get shot. Grand Finals should be 10 mins of shooting.

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
I'll come for brawl, bring a wii + maybe a TV (will have to get someone to give it a try and see if they find it acceptable, since it's LCD flat 22",). It's pretty close to PP, but I'll need to bum a ride if I bring the TV. Otherwise, I can actually walk, even if it'll be nippy.

Will have to figure out my anti-snake game before then, though, maybe practice my matchups against a few other chars too.

metaknave

Smash Apprentice
What PieDisliker said. Last time, my ride was gone and my dad didn't like the idea of me hanging around with older people, so that's where I was then. Maybe it can happen this time!

Kantō

Smash Champion
ugh why cant brawl be on sunday??
ill do my best to get the day off, hopefully i will make this.

BluePeachy100

Smash Champion
Why is the Melee time limit only 6 minutes?

Depends how much cash you're talking Foy.

When you say there will be no contuation sets you mean if someone faces someone in WF, and the loser makes it to GF then the winner of WF still has to win 2 sets, correct?

Snowmanthatknows

Smash Journeyman
I've been playing with Kelvin a lot in melee lately, my game has gotten way better.

For sure going to be here for this.

I have a TV and a Wii to bring also.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
1. Why is the Melee time limit only 6 minutes?

2. Depends how much cash you're talking Foy.

3. When you say there will be no contuation sets you mean if someone faces someone in WF, and the loser makes it to GF then the winner of WF still has to win 2 sets, correct?
1. Because anybody that has to play jesse will be ended in less than 3.
seriously tho, ive played one game of melee in the last two months that took more than 5 minutes. melee games dont take that long.
2. you got him son, dont let him punk you. actin like hes good cause he spends 2 hours a week getting trashed by people that are actually good good at this game.
3. winners finals and losers finals will be best 3 out of 5. and grand finals will be best 4 out of 7. no double sets. If that doesnt seem to be optimal for you, feel free to state your case to the contrary.

$124390543 get at me. Ill come get you with my hover craft.

5$ money match? i play doc.

@Cross, I didnt want you and your crappy SD cards at my tourney anyway!!. nah but seriously that sucks that you cant come you gotta come to the next one
@sai. dude. that blows... we all miss you son you gotta come out to another tourney.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
pretty much any and every ruling is up for debate. I want as much input as possible.

This tournament is for the community, so the community should determine how this tournament goes down.

so so far thats 2 people that want the days of the games switched, does anybody else have thoughts?

BluePeachy100

Smash Champion
Nonsense, the first match between Soma Ghost and I was 6:10 long. I laser camped my *** off, on PS no less, it should be at least 7 minutes to be honest, considering some match ups*coughsamusanddoccough* are relatively slow.

I was only wondering about the sets... But why is it that there aren't multiple sets?

I only read the first two numbers since there was no commas. $12 it is, Foy.

Dudu's tag is in my GC. :3

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Goggles, Your Ganon, my kirby, $10 mm.

done.

also shun. you said that you had a match that went 6:10. when you hit the 6 min mark, who was winning in percent? and was that the same person who ended up winning the game?

Sharky

Smash Master
lol green greens? I have no problem with hanenbow as a teams cp but green greens? you're gonna have to explain this one to me.

BluePeachy100

Smash Champion

done.

also shun. you said that you had a match that went 6:10. when you hit the 6 min mark, who was winning in percent? and was that the same person who ended up winning the game?
Well, to be fair, the match limit wasn't 6 minutes, but I did win the game. And it still wouldn't have been decided by percent. ._.;; I just think it should still be at least 7, mainly because of particular matchups, stages, and playstyles.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
so many events for WNY and i can't go anymore! why didn't everyone want to get better last year? or the year before that?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
@D1 Thats not a smash tourney is it? cus i looked and im pretty sure that weekend is like completely empty as far as smash tourneys go.

Green Greens doesnt fit the normal mold for a stage. its a long stage. it has a very low ceiling. it has a very low pit. its 3 almost even platforms with two platforms above it. navigating the stage is odd to say the least. and a lot of the time is really clunky. the blocks just make it harder to get around the stage. but none of those things are bannable, its just different.

what could possibly make it bannable are the blocks, some times hitting them keeps you dying from a fatal blow. sometimes they make an average attack into a low percent kill because you hit them and fall down in the crack between 3 main platforms. I think neither of those occurance happen often enough to warrent a ban, and not only that but the fact that it can go evenly both ways evens the situation out. because even though you died to a block stage spike at 50. the next stock you lived to 220 because falling blocks saved you from a killing blow.

the other thing is bombs, bombs can do a lot of damage, and can kill you. but I think bombs force you to play better and space your attacks more accurately so as to not explode them unintentionally. the same way pictochats hazards arent broken and merely force you to pay more attention to whats going on around you. thats why I want to allow pictochat.

@shun. id like some further input from others mainly Goodies and Jesiah.
but if you hit the 6 min mark and you were winning in percent, and you ended up winning anyway, why does it matter.
thats how i see it at least.

BluePeachy100

Smash Champion
That isn't always goign to be the case, though. It was just something I wanted. Dunno why, just did. It doesn't matter, most of my matches lately have been under 2 minutes most of the time.... I need better people to play....

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
good ruleset for both games:

melee

final d only

brawl

smashvile only

its makes these games better... every other good fighter plays the same stage lol. counterpicking is ******** and detracts from player skill. you should be limited to one character the entire tournament also. its my real problem with smash. counterpicking is ****ing gay and ******** (ive been gayed and ive certainly gayed people on counterpicks)

although my ruleset is extreme, it should be a model to KEEP IT SIMPLE there is no reason to EVER have stages with hazards. no fucing reason. ever. it's ********. truly. movement also sucks. but stuff like FoD moving platforms isn't an issue, the cloud on YS either

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
true, i don't play brawl much i remember battlefield being pretty good but the games characters are so big it's silly sometimes, smashville is def a better choice!

altairian

Smash Lord
every other good fighter plays the same stage lol.
Not a valid argument because smash is a unique fighter in many mechanics. Even "neutral" stages aren't so neutral in smash.

I agree that CP'ing can lead to pretty gay things, but both players have equal access to it, so it's fair.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
items are fair too both players have access to them

i realize my comparison is pretty void it's the fundamentals of stage neutrality that i'm trying to emphasize.

Top Bottom