• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stylin' On Ya! A Western New York Tournament. December 5th AND 6th.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
every other good fighter plays the same stage lol.

SFA3
SF4
MvC2
CvS2
Guilty Gear
Blazblue

These are good fighters yes? They dont all play the same stage. They just only have one playable stage in the game with like 7-20 different skins.

Tekken
SC4

These are good fighters yes? They also dont play the same stage, but the stages dont affect gameplay nearly to the extent that stages in smash do, and as such all stage are selected at random.

Its impossible to stop being gay. in any fighting game. If people arent complaining about how gay you are at a game, than you obviously are not good enough.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
just use good stages is all i'm saying! people being too specific.

i think there should be ACTUALLY neutral stages. all sets will always be played on random, no counterpicks, if players agree to a neutral stage it canbe played on.

it just makes sense. it makes this game serious and not baby kiddy with stages like poke floats and stuff and gay ****. people should take our game seriously we should play it seriously

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I haven't been out to ny in a while. Kid I'll try my best to be at this one. I'm down.
Oh snap, jesse has some competition. better step ya game up boy!
just use good stages is all i'm saying! people being too specific.

i think there should be ACTUALLY neutral stages. all sets will always be played on random, no counterpicks, if players agree to a neutral stage it canbe played on.

it just makes sense. it makes this game serious and not baby kiddy with stages like poke floats and stuff and gay ****. people should take our game seriously we should play it seriously
If enough people wanted to do it that way, we would do it that way.

but for the record I really could not possibly care less how people that dont play smash look at smash, if thats what youre trying to say.

I play Street fighter and Blazblue with people in a competitive scene about once a week, and i have to deal with people making fun of smash all the time, and theres nothing we will ever be able to possibly do to change the way we play the game to make those kind of people accept it as a serious fighting game if they already have an idea in their heads.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
sounds good to me goggles, us bad rit kids can get there easy :D also there are some really good sub places nearby mmmmmm.....

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
Oh snap, jesse has some competition. better step ya game up boy!
inb4 "come on step it up"
-Knowing you main sonic, I had to.

As for getting screwed out by shenanigans in smash, thing I've always heard on the matter:
-"If they're calling BS on you, you're prolly doin it right"

Meh, counterpicking doesn't bother me too much, even if I don't have much EXP in the pitfalls of it, I admit I'd be antsy if I win one match then immediately fall back cuz I end up fighting snake on a low ceiling. As for smashville being most neutral stage, yer out of your mind. Snake mobile C4 and prox mines are RIDICULOUS. That stage isn't neutral, none are. Diddy steps up on FD, with no platforms to avoid bananaspam, and battlefield opens up a nasty platform + vertical game. Nothing's neutral, so stages themselves have that whole factor of being edgy and such. That's the main reason I don't let stages bother me too much.

-Also, hanenbow doubles ftw, goggles. Too bad I'd never want to play my doubles chars there. Seen too many recovery shenanigans, like Toon Link's B+up slashing the platform out of his reach, lol.

Kantō

Smash Champion
Melee on Saturday seems more appealing, should we vote for which day is suited best? Or is it too late?
YES! make brawl on sunday, i will be so happy cuz i will have the day off. not sure if i can make it sat. sux for me. but my vote goes to a date switch:chuckle:

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2HIycS2tko

Ban Green Greens.

I might go to this if Altairian can go. You should offer a reduced venue fee for setups so people will bring setups.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQG9TEiGjKo&feature=related
Omnigamer
February 18, 2008

I've been able to reproduce it once or twice since, but it's not consistent. Long story short, I was Ganondorf on Green Greens and up tilted on the left part of the stage. The up tilt detonated two bomb blocks, neither of which hit me. Afterwards, there was a general area above the block area that had a permanent invisible explosion field. Any character or other blocks gets hit by the field. When we later reproduced it, we managed to get rid of it by using Samus's upB through it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHfhKD8yCjw&feature=response_watch

Revolutionist2 (4 months ago)
You need to blow up at least two blocks with one attack and not get hurt by it.

you now know how to produce it, and how to avoid it, and how to get rid of it.
Id like more input, but thats good enough to keep a stage from being bannable for me. That, along with the fact that that glitch has absolutely never happened in a WNY tournament, and the stage has been legal in a lot of rochester tourneys.

oh and about the venue fee thing. we should definitely be able to work that out.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
yep, it's me. btw you should probably just put the melee time limit at 8 so you dont get so many complaints. also id rather congo jungle not on random.

1337-Zero

Smash Ace
Showing up, bringing Brawl setup w/ TV, entering Brawl Singles and Dubz (If Alt shows and is willing).

I honestly don't know if I can make it, but if I tell mah dad I'm bringing a setup for you guys he'll feel obligated to take me.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Sorry, I forgot to state that. Kongo 64 is definitely not a neutral for singles.
But should it be a neutral for doubles? Come on people!! I need more input from EVERYONE! Even if you are ready this and dont have an account, make one and speak up, there are a lot of rulings that need to be discussed and decided on in the very near future.

Should kongo 64 be a nuetral for doubles in melee?
Should I increase the melee time limit for matches?
Is it ok for Green Greens to be legal in brawl?
Should I switch the events to make brawl on sunday?

all these things need more discussion.

Kantō

Smash Champion
my opinions that i feel strongly about:

-kongo 64 doubles would be kool
-melee is usually 8 min. right?
-Green Greens def. on in brawl!
-SWITCH THE DATE PLEEEEAAASE!!!! ( i can bring some people if the date is changed)

RTF

Smash Lord
No Longer Bumping With Content, Smörgåsbords
Should kongo 64 be a nuetral for doubles in melee?
Sure.

Should I increase the melee time limit for matches?
I'm not opposed to a 6 minute time limit.

Should I switch the events to make brawl on sunday?
While I prefer melee being on sunday, either date is fine for me.

translation: don't give off yuk.

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
Well, so far, I've not seen anyone who DOESN'T want the date switched, have I? I'm not sure how soon we want to get this ironed out by so that people know, but I'm fine for Sunday brawl too.

soma ghost

Smash Journeyman
8 minute time limit please. And I like Mana's stage list, just the neutrals no counter picks. I know that prolly not going to happen but I have always thought counter picking sort of sucks.

altairian

Smash Lord
Since it's come up a couple times, I don't know right now if I'll be able to attend this. Switching Brawl to Sunday would probably help. And 13370, if I do come I'm definitely down for dubz, I promise you won't have to carry me nearly so bad this time ;)

My 2 cents on Green Greens: Pikapika played San on Green Greens at RoR and the game resulted in a timeout. The typical game length for them on other stages was like 4-5 minutes. That's just boring for everyone involved.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Alright, Tomorrow, im goign to Get in touch with goodies and cyberstorm and tell them that we are switching the dates for these events.

OK, heres my reasoning.
i dont think Ive ever seen a BRAWL match go to time when it was set at 8 minutes where the dude that was winning at 7 minutes wasnt winning at 8. Except for one time and that match involved plank and an ICs player that had to squall hammer under the stage for the last 3 seconds to avoid giving up the lead.

That being said, I lowered the brawl time limit to 7 minutes, because I always thought 8 was too long.

With that in mind, everyone here can agree that melee is a much faster paced game then brawl. Most of the people that dont like brawl, use this as a talking point as to why melee is better. Based on that, I see absolutely no reason to make the time limit for melee equal or more than the time limit for brawl.

Once again, just because i am the TO, this does not mean my logic is not flawed, Im pretty sure Goodies disagrees with a lot of my rulings up to this point. So I dont want anyone to think that what I say is final or that my word is some kind of divine law. but i know that my rules are slightly excentric and as such, I want to get the opinions of those attending my tournaments, since as Ive said before, this is your tournament and you should have at least SOME say in how its run.

also, it seems like we have come to a consensus to make Kongo jungle 64 a neutral for both singles and doubles. is this correct?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Not entering now. Ill get camped on that stupid stage. and i dont feel like banning it.

if your talking about greens:

1. I was talking about my reasoning behind legalizing it for brawl, if you dont like it it melee, you can still talk about it
2. If you dont want to ban it fine, pikapika is like the only one that picks that stage in either game so its really not like you have anything to worry about.

which brings up an interesting note.

Everyone once in a while people talk about stages that i dont ban saying that I should ban them, not realising that half the stages dont eve get picked.

ill use brawl as an example since I know more about it.

i am 98% sure that nobody counterpicked lylat, Distant planet, or ps2 the entire tournament, at my last event. and i KNOW that i was the only one to CP hanenbow or pictochat, and I lost on them both (to the same person now that I think about it...) so for the time being, at least give some of the stages a try, and if they prove to be a problem we can use actual experiences to rectify the situation in the future.

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord

i am 98% sure that nobody counterpicked lylat, Distant planet, or ps2 the entire tournament, at my last event.
so for the time being, at least give some of the stages a try, and if they prove to be a problem we can use actual experiences to rectify the situation in the future.
I wasnt at RoR, but I CP Lylat all the time.

As for exploding field glitch, just ask Snakeee about it, it happened to him in a tourney match against a campy Pit. That's an actual experience.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: How can you rep NY...if the tournament is in the same state?

OH WAIT I KNOW

JPOBS

Smash Hero

3. winners finals and losers finals will be best 3 out of 5. and grand finals will be best 4 out of 7. no double sets. If that doesnt seem to be optimal for you, feel free to state your case to the contrary.

[/COLOR]
the whole point of double elimination is that you have to lose twice to be knocked out. its pretty unfair to the person who makes it all the way through winners finals to grand finals, you only lose a single set and be eliminated from the tourny, whereas everyone else got two chances.

sorry if this was already addressed a few pages ago i didnt read everything

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
Technically, 4 out of 7 is a double set of the standard round, more or less. You can't allow your opponent to win more than three rounds, in order to win... hrm, no, I suppose you're allowed slightly less margin of error, but the odds aren't much different.

That's just me though, and, I admit, I'm going to this with no confidence in advancing anywhere near the finals of any kind lol.

Top Bottom