• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stuff About Puff

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I've wanted to toy around with that to see if it could be used to make Sheik's lag-reduction poof easier to rest by making her hurtbox bigger.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
You know how Sheik does that 'corner' trick to land on the edge with reduced lag than if she goes in the middle of the stage or platform or whatever?

I want to know if you can ledgehop sing her to make her lie down, thus widening her hurtbox, to make the Rest easier on that specific recovery. A lot of Puffs (not you, specifically, lord knows you know the Sheik MU by now) opt to Bair that one because the stand is awkward. But if you could manipulate it into an easier one, hey, why not?

idea

Smash Master
You know how Sheik does that 'corner' trick to land on the edge with reduced lag than if she goes in the middle of the stage or platform or whatever?

I want to know if you can ledgehop sing her to make her lie down, thus widening her hurtbox, to make the Rest easier on that specific recovery. A lot of Puffs (not you, specifically, lord knows you know the Sheik MU by now) opt to Bair that one because the stand is awkward. But if you could manipulate it into an easier one, hey, why not?
ohh okay. uhh...maybe? i imagine it would be hard enough to time as to be impractical in tourney. pretty sure poof would hit through that if you aren't invincible. but i dunno, sing is weird, maybe it goes through it on account of also being a B move.

lol this is the difference between you and i, i would never come up with something so specific.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
To answer you're question, sing itself is essentially never useful.

If you land it on them with enough percent though, be sure to sing lock them and sing Never Gonna Give You Up for maximum butt-frustration. :3

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I dont think its banned.

Also, if you're fox and accidentally ground laser and hit an opponent's shine, you can continue lasering them to shine lock them. If you're up a stock you win the game.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Yeah its physically impossible to mash out of beyond a certain point. At 0% it takes around 23 mash inputs.

Beat!

Smash Master
Some kind of stalling prevention is highly recommended. Since a definition of stalling is too potentially ambiguous here, all instances of stalling are determined by you.
It's up to the TO, basically.

I can't imagine anyone would allow it, though.

Beat!

Smash Master
Well, most TOs include wobbling caps etc, but the only thing the MBR ruleset says about stalling is the part I quoted.

So I guess no, but yes? lol

Most TOs include something like "the act of deliberately stalling is banned" or something. Pretty sure sing stalling would fall under that.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
both of those situations you bring up used to be explicitly banned in most tournament rulesets, actually. nobody ever uses either of them though so i guess they stopped bothering to mention it.

S0FT

Smash Ace
It's funny because the first thing I learned about sing locking someone at 0% when you are at the ledge. Is to keep doing it until they start trying to mash buttons to get out, then you rest them because they arn't di'ing. I doubt that is banned...

BairJew

Smash Journeyman
I don't think I've seen anyone do this before, maybe people find it in better taste to just not do it as good manners? lol

Republican0fHeaven

Smash Ace
Isn't a faster character running away from a slower character (camping) pretty much stalling anyway? If you're good enough you won't get hit. Think DK64. But sing locking is inescapable.

I've often thought about sing locking someone when I have the lead and just timing them out. The TO in my region said he'd allow it just for laughs and because Im not good, and its rare that I'll pull it off.

How many times can you resing your opponent? Think if Hbox got Armada's YL singlocked and was in the lead with a minute to go...

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Singlocking almost never works and isn't nearly as good as people think. When you sing someone, they're asleep for 95 frames plus 2 frame for every percent they have, plus the amount of frames in their wake up animation (50 for m2, 76 for puff/kirby, 60 for everyone else; this amount is constant and can't be reduced with mashing) BUT they lose 7 frames for every input they press to mash out. Sing lasts for 179 frames total, meaning you need that many frames to do it again and keep repeating it for the sing lock.

That means, even if you had someone at 100% they would only need to mash 26 inputs to get out of the sing lock. (assuming they're not mewtwo, kirby, or puff.) That might seem like a lot, but in actuality it isn't that much when you're mashing the **** out of your controller. Plus, they have as many tries as the timer gives them to get out.

Only posting this to let you guys know that it's sort of a wasted effort. I've set up sing locks at people well over 100% and they get out of it easily. Just go for the rest. :)

Republican0fHeaven

Smash Ace
OK need to clarify what I meant. I was under the impression of ledge-singlocking. Which can be done to opponents at like 0 percent (either that or low percent). And this is inescapable. Plus it's safer to try it (if they don't expect it) cause you're invinceable from the immediate ledge jump for a bit)

As for singlocking someone on the stage, I've done it before to the point where it is inescapable. However, their percent has to be pretty close to 200%. My friend would roll the control stick (getting all 16 inputs I think) and mash the other buttons and couldn't get out. This would never happen in a serious match. But if you're messing around and up a few stocks, you could do it just to be a d***

Overall, singlocking or ledge-singlocking is something that's basically only for fun. The only applicability for it would prob be ledge-singlocking if you're timing someone out and there's less than a minute left and you're in the lead. But even then you're taking risk of getting hit by even trying to get someone locked. And a TO may not allow it because its kinda sorta stalling.

If sing could be cancelled Jiggz would def be broken. (though then again the hitbox doesn't come out til frame 28 anyway, so it still has a ton of lag, just not as much).

In fact, most of the time I do hit with sing onstage is when someone tries to punish it and gets too close :awesome:

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Due to this thread being extremely outdated, I'm going to both unsticky and lock this thread. Please take all discussion involving Jigglypuff's game and such to the new Stuff About Puff - MU Discussion Thread. Please feel free to socialize in the Puff Social Thread about things less relevant. Because this thread is still very substantial and contains a large number of informative posts, a link to this thread will be present in the new Stuff About puff thread for ease of access. Thank you. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom