• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Studying in the Cerulean Cave: Maedhros's Comprehensive Guide to Mewtwo

Guide Studying in Cerulean Cave: A Comprehensive Guide to Mewtwo

Browny

Smash Hater
Its comprehensive... but there are some instances of passive aggressive wording which have no place in a guide. These first two paragraphs I feel set a bad tone for the rest of the guide but if they are changed, it's all good.

"Mewtwo is a glass cannon. Before people go rambling on about how low his placings on the tier list are think about this. The Metagame of Mewtwo is barely scratched, his AT's aren't explored, and he has some amazing upsides with downsides that pale in comparison. Mewtwo is a character that will only be as good as you make him to be. To me, he is easily top 30, he loses to top tiers, but beats most mid and low tiers rather easily. Mewtwo's MU's rely on how easy it is to punish the opponent. So just think about this before dismissing him as a bottom 5, he has a great recovery, punish game and MU's against mid tiers. If your looking for a bad character then move along, because Mewtwo is anything but a bad character. He is undeniably a solid mid tier pick.

Mewtwo is one of the more difficult characters to play in sm4sh. The reasons for this are probably his annoying downsides, and his unorthodox play style and combo game. When he first came out, everyone dismissed him because he didn't have a combo game and his weaknesses were seemingly insurmountable. However, Mewtwo is not nearly as bad as he first seemed. He has amazing combos, great kill potential, fantastic recovery and stellar defense. When used correctly, he is a pleasure to watch. When used incorrectly, it is painful. Mewtwo requires so much time and training, and the reward is slight. Mewtwo is a character you have to want to play."

-----

Since its your guide you are perfectly allowed to be subjective throughout it, but I think if it was more like this it would be better for new people to read.

-----

"Mewtwo falls into the archetype of a Glass Cannon. He is does a lot of damage and KOs early however he is easy to KO himself. Unlike the typical glass cannons who are small, fast and rely on relentless aggression, Mewtwo can switch between a high risk high reward playstyle to go for extended combos and chase opponents offstage or set up a defensive wall thanks to his large range on many attacks. Mewtwo has a diverse matchup spread which while like most characters, struggles versus the top tier characters, Mewtwo can hold his own and beat the majority of the cast when the correct playstyle is chosen for the right situation.

Mewtwo in Smash 4 has a moderately developed metagame but it has fallen behind many characters due to initial perceptions of his viability being poor. In a game where many characters have very easy and high rewarding grab combo games, Mewtwo lacks any true combos from this throws. As a result, he is unpopular and many people are unaware of how viable he is in the game. What Mewtwo lacks in throw combos he more than makes up for with a stellar punishing game, high damaging tilt combos and the 2nd strongest set of throws in the game. Getting the most out of these attributes requires dedication and practice, Mewtwo is not a character for those who want results quickly.

Mewtwos weaknesses however unlike his strengths, are very easily defined. His low weight of only 72 ranks him as the second lightest fighter in the game and is especially weak to off-the-side KO moves. His large frame may give him long range but it also gives him a large hurtbox which can be easily clipped during his ledgesnap and techroll. Mewtwos out-of-shield options are powerful but not quick enough to escape shield pressure that top tier characters can put on him with his fastest actually being his upsmash, a risky move to throw out in defense.

If you want to main Mewtwo you need patience and a lot of it. His combo game is unorthodox but extremely powerful, his recovery goes an extreme distance but needs precision on the teleport and his playstyle requires a rapid shift from defense to offense at the right time. Mewtwo has without a doubt, the widest array of the strongest punishes in the game. Choosing the right option at the right time is critical as failure to do so leaves Mewtwo vulnerable and a character of his weight can not afford to leave himself open to punishing. Study this guide and you will learn all that you need to know to make the enemy scared to approach Mewtwo, not knowing what elaborate combo he is about to pull off to end their stock at 40%.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Its comprehensive... but there are some instances of passive aggressive wording which have no place in a guide. These first two paragraphs I feel set a bad tone for the rest of the guide but if they are changed, it's all good.

"Mewtwo is a glass cannon. Before people go rambling on about how low his placings on the tier list are think about this. The Metagame of Mewtwo is barely scratched, his AT's aren't explored, and he has some amazing upsides with downsides that pale in comparison. Mewtwo is a character that will only be as good as you make him to be. To me, he is easily top 30, he loses to top tiers, but beats most mid and low tiers rather easily. Mewtwo's MU's rely on how easy it is to punish the opponent. So just think about this before dismissing him as a bottom 5, he has a great recovery, punish game and MU's against mid tiers. If your looking for a bad character then move along, because Mewtwo is anything but a bad character. He is undeniably a solid mid tier pick.

Mewtwo is one of the more difficult characters to play in sm4sh. The reasons for this are probably his annoying downsides, and his unorthodox play style and combo game. When he first came out, everyone dismissed him because he didn't have a combo game and his weaknesses were seemingly insurmountable. However, Mewtwo is not nearly as bad as he first seemed. He has amazing combos, great kill potential, fantastic recovery and stellar defense. When used correctly, he is a pleasure to watch. When used incorrectly, it is painful. Mewtwo requires so much time and training, and the reward is slight. Mewtwo is a character you have to want to play."

-----

Since its your guide you are perfectly allowed to be subjective throughout it, but I think if it was more like this it would be better for new people to read.

-----

"Mewtwo falls into the archetype of a Glass Cannon. He is does a lot of damage and KOs early however he is easy to KO himself. Unlike the typical glass cannons who are small, fast and rely on relentless aggression, Mewtwo can switch between a high risk high reward playstyle to go for extended combos and chase opponents offstage or set up a defensive wall thanks to his large range on many attacks. Mewtwo has a diverse matchup spread which while like most characters, struggles versus the top tier characters, Mewtwo can hold his own and beat the majority of the cast when the correct playstyle is chosen for the right situation.

Mewtwo in Smash 4 has a moderately developed metagame but it has fallen behind many characters due to initial perceptions of his viability being poor. In a game where many characters have very easy and high rewarding grab combo games, Mewtwo lacks any true combos from this throws. As a result, he is unpopular and many people are unaware of how viable he is in the game. What Mewtwo lacks in throw combos he more than makes up for with a stellar punishing game, high damaging tilt combos and the 2nd strongest set of throws in the game. Getting the most out of these attributes requires dedication and practice, Mewtwo is not a character for those who want results quickly.

Mewtwos weaknesses however unlike his strengths, are very easily defined. His low weight of only 72 ranks him as the second lightest fighter in the game and is especially weak to off-the-side KO moves. His large frame may give him long range but it also gives him a large hurtbox which can be easily clipped during his ledgesnap and techroll. Mewtwos out-of-shield options are powerful but not quick enough to escape shield pressure that top tier characters can put on him with his fastest actually being his upsmash, a risky move to throw out in defense.

If you want to main Mewtwo you need patience and a lot of it. His combo game is unorthodox but extremely powerful, his recovery goes an extreme distance but needs precision on the teleport and his playstyle requires a rapid shift from defense to offense at the right time. Mewtwo has without a doubt, the widest array of the strongest punishes in the game. Choosing the right option at the right time is critical as failure to do so leaves Mewtwo vulnerable and a character of his weight can not afford to leave himself open to punishing. Study this guide and you will learn all that you need to know to make the enemy scared to approach Mewtwo, not knowing what elaborate combo he is about to pull off to end their stock at 40%.
Awesome! Is it okay if I put your paragraphs in the guide?

I was in a bad mood that day, thus, the poor writing.

Browny

Smash Hater
Sure go ahead

My only other nitpick was Dash attack being rated as Low KO potential. IMO its mid.

His high would be
f/d/usmash
shadowball
fair/dair
uthrow/bthrow

mid is
uair/bair
ftilt
dash attack
ftilt

low is
dtilt
nair

none is
dthrow/fthrow
confusion

Sonicninja115

Sure go ahead

My only other nitpick was Dash attack being rated as Low KO potential. IMO its mid.

His high would be
f/d/usmash
shadowball
fair/dair
uthrow/bthrow

mid is
uair/bair
ftilt
dash attack
ftilt

low is
dtilt
nair

none is
dthrow/fthrow
confusion
Will do! I will include your info in the next update, probably tomorrow.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
If you could update the description for uair, it's much safer and more practical to use outside of combos now.

Sonicninja115

Here is a list of things to come:

It is not possible to create the mix-up of either LCing or ledge snapping. However, it is possible to ledge snap from above.

To avoid ledge trumps, Mewtwo can do what fox and Falco can in Melee with their side b's. They can Aim their side bs so that they either hit the edge and go onto the stage, or pause at the edge for a second before grabbing the ledge. You can also press down to keep yourself from grabbing the ledge, but that can be dangerous.

Mewtwo can Side B to change his direction while recovering. This allows him to use Bair as well as Uair when recovering to the ledge. Uair is great for catching an opponent very close to the edge, while Bair goes far back.

A-landing options are Bair and Uair, each with a 2 frame window. Still worth learning!

Dthrow platform lock stuff

Wall jump

U-Turn stuff

Fair to cancelled SB

Wall-jump for Bair landing

C-stick section

Nair-Nair on R.O.B.

Disable guide

Jab-Step-Utilt-Usmash beats proper DI (kill combos section)

turn around with Confusion while recovering to gain access to Bair and Uair

OoS DJ SB, ground

OoS SB, Platform

Fast fall during Nair to get them out and follow-up

Boost grabbing

Airdodge frame traps

Dtilt-Dair

Dtilt-Dair/Fair 50/50

Kill set-ups. (Post in guide thread)

Nair-SB

Jab-locking guide. Bair/nair set-ups

Moveset analysis additions

Nair KB make it easier to understand

Dsmash hits some people below platforms.

Drop-Wall-jump-B-reverse SB cancelled-JC Usmash and other options

Spacing and hitboxes

Shield Pressure

Dthrow shenanagins (45% plat lock?)

Shieldbreak set-ups

Small SB set-ups/frame traps

Neutral

Tipper Uair-
Fair-50%
DA
Dtilt-Fair
Usmash

Final hit of SH Nair combos really well and awkwardly

Fair,Dtilt,Uair all PF lock

Fthrow can be DI'ed for 11% at 40% and 9% at fifty. Sometimes 6% depending on character (DI up)

SBC-Airdodge-LC

Run off side BF PF and DJ airdodgeto be able to LC at multiple points, good for getting down.

http://puu.sh/lQoQn.gif

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...tagame-discussion.415950/page-6#post-20465532

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...tagame-discussion.415950/page-5#post-20345867

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...tagame-discussion.415950/page-5#post-20430323

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...tagame-discussion.415950/page-5#post-20456842

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Sonicninja115 updated Studying in the Cerulean Cave: A Comprehensive Guide to Mewtwo with a new update entry:

Studying in the Cerulean Cave: A Comprehensive Guide to Mewtwo (Ver. 1.5)

Directory:

Use Ctrl + F to find a certain section

Section 1: How to Play and Directory

Section 2: Moveset Analysis
Section 3: Movement and Neutral
Section 4: Combos and Kill Percents
Section 5: Off-Stage and Playstyles
Section 6: Advanced Topics
Section 7: Terms, Discussion Topics and Update Log

[COLOR=rgb(204, 153,...[/CENTER]​

Sonicninja115

Ok, I am going to post a guide update every 5, but I am going to continue to write in the first tab, not the updates one.

HorrorAvengers

Smash Rookie
It might be worth noting, I'm not sure if there are just more viable options to stifle approaches but I've been playing a lot of projectile rush (Mario, link, Luigi), and an frequently in a position where I'm being charged with a fireball leading the opponent, hoping I shield so they can grab. To adapt to it I started using confusion to reflect their projectile and command grab them, then immediately buffer up tilt. It's possible to jump out of, but it seems to beat out their nairs, if they aren't able to react quick enough it leads to nair/footstool combos, and if they do jump out it might seem like you're back in neutral, but they're in a retreating position to avoid the tilt, and have burned their double jump. Yesterday playing Luigi he was able to jump out of it, I followed up with a fair into up smash on battlefield. On battlefield, it enables the nutty stage gimmicks we have.

Of course it's not spamable, but even if they stop short to avoid the command grab they're getting hit with their projectile, the punish window can be really tight and if it isn't spammed, almost nobody's gonna be able to punish it.

That said this is all personal anectodes from semi competitive matches. I play a lot against people that go frequently but myself have never gone to one, so this might just be blatantly wrong and bad :)

Sonicninja115

It might be worth noting, I'm not sure if there are just more viable options to stifle approaches but I've been playing a lot of projectile rush (Mario, link, Luigi), and an frequently in a position where I'm being charged with a fireball leading the opponent, hoping I shield so they can grab. To adapt to it I started using confusion to reflect their projectile and command grab them, then immediately buffer up tilt. It's possible to jump out of, but it seems to beat out their nairs, if they aren't able to react quick enough it leads to nair/footstool combos, and if they do jump out it might seem like you're back in neutral, but they're in a retreating position to avoid the tilt, and have burned their double jump. Yesterday playing Luigi he was able to jump out of it, I followed up with a fair into up smash on battlefield. On battlefield, it enables the nutty stage gimmicks we have.

Of course it's not spamable, but even if they stop short to avoid the command grab they're getting hit with their projectile, the punish window can be really tight and if it isn't spammed, almost nobody's gonna be able to punish it.

That said this is all personal anectodes from semi competitive matches. I play a lot against people that go frequently but myself have never gone to one, so this might just be blatantly wrong and bad :)
I am thinking of adding a general character MU's thing. I will most certainly add a portion on that.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
I'd like to submit one more character that can escape Mewtwo's Fthrow. Shulk can when equipped with shield arts. Because of the increased weight, he can air dodge the incoming shadow balls. However, he will get hit by the last as he stands upright during his air dodge landing lag. Thus, he should DI away from Mewtwo and continue to hold in that direction to put as much space between them as possible. After the air dodge landing lag, shulk has enough time to perform a fsmash on Mewtwo. While Shulk would only sustain 2% damage, Mewtwo would take ~13%, or lose his stock.

I'd also like to elaborate on Greninja's escape method. He can only Shadow Sneak Hitstun Cancel in two directions. Should he choose toward Mewtwo, he will evade all the shadow balls and only take 3% damage from the initial throw. However, Mewtwo can act before Greninja, who is now at Mewtwo's feet. Mewtwo has enough time for an Usmash, or any move that comes out quicker. Unless Mewtwo is unaware of this trick, Greninja is guaranteed to be comboed or killed by this option. If he instead sneaks away from mewtwo, he will get hit by the last shadow ball. Now he takes 5% damage and must land, but I'm certain this is the preferable scenario.

Finally, on Yoshi, it's true that Mewtwo has a "slight frame advantage" due to Yoshi's double jump taking a full second to complete. However, Yoshi can guarantee a hit on Mewtwo using his Down B once he is above mewtwo.. This is a 7% damage profit for Yoshi.

Sonicninja115

I'd like to submit one more character that can escape Mewtwo's Fthrow. Shulk can when equipped with shield arts. Because of the increased weight, he can air dodge the incoming shadow balls. However, he will get hit by the last as he stands upright during his air dodge landing lag. Thus, he should DI away from Mewtwo and continue to hold in that direction to put as much space between them as possible. After the air dodge landing lag, shulk has enough time to perform a fsmash on Mewtwo. While Shulk would only sustain 2% damage, Mewtwo would take ~13%, or lose his stock.

I'd also like to elaborate on Greninja's escape method. He can only Shadow Sneak Hitstun Cancel in two directions. Should he choose toward Mewtwo, he will evade all the shadow balls and only take 3% damage from the initial throw. However, Mewtwo can act before Greninja, who is now at Mewtwo's feet. Mewtwo has enough time for an Usmash, or any move that comes out quicker. Unless Mewtwo is unaware of this trick, Greninja is guaranteed to be comboed or killed by this option. If he instead sneaks away from mewtwo, he will get hit by the last shadow ball. Now he takes 5% damage and must land, but I'm certain this is the preferable scenario.

Finally, on Yoshi, it's true that Mewtwo has a "slight frame advantage" due to Yoshi's double jump taking a full second to complete. However, Yoshi can guarantee a hit on Mewtwo using his Down B once he is above mewtwo.. This is a 7% damage profit for Yoshi.
Awesome! Thanks for the info and analysis! With Yoshi, I was only thinking about Fair and Nair. Didn't even occur to test his specials. I will add it when I am a bit less busy with videos. Probably tuesday or thursday.

Top Bottom