• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Struggling with Smash

BlueYoshiGaming

Smash Rookie
Hi everyone,

I have been struggling lately playing with Smash. Just a little question. What controller do you all use and what it the preference button/control stick for jumping?

origamiscienceguy

Smash Apprentice
I play :4jigglypuff: and I use the z-button to jump. It makes short-hop nairs easier (which is a very important for her to use) I slide my finger off the z button for short hops, and use my thumb to buffer nair with the c stick. With no room for error (or you miss the autocancel window) this is very important.

KirinKQP

Smash Journeyman
I think the general consensus to play Smash Bros (except for 64) is to use a gamecube controller. I don't use the control stick to jump, but instead the Y-button.

D

Deleted member

Like most youngsters here, I use the Gamecube controller. Currently, I use default controls except that tap jump is disabled though I shall soon get into more advanced movement options.

Sayonara :kirby:

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
I use Wii U Pro with tap jump on and C-stick set to Attack (or Smash in the case of :4ganondorf::4kirby::4littlemac::4sonic::4tlink::4villager::4zss:). I keep tap jump on because I can't get used to using other buttons to jump.

Chillx3

Smash Rookie
I use a Gamecube Controller with the controls default for every Smash game (Except 64) With Tap Jump off:GCU:and :GCCN: Stick as my Sidestep and Dodge (Mostly used with :sonic::mario2::4jigglypuff::4tlink:) I use the :GCY: To Jump

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I use the Classic Controller Pro, although I'm told I should just use my Wii U Pro Controller. I have tap jump off with my R button as a grab and ZR button as a shield.

Grimace Gone Wild

Smash Rookie
I use game cube controller with tap jump off, c-stick set to smash, y button to jump, R-trigger to block and L-trigger to grab. Everything else is standard.

Jake_11534

Smash Rookie
Hi everyone,

I have been struggling lately playing with Smash. Just a little question. What controller do you all use and what it the preference button/control stick for jumping?

Honestly, Gamecube is okay but to me i'm more comfortable with the pro controller. For jumps, i don't put tap jump because i found out using tilts is much easier and i use x and y for jumps most of the time. For c sticks, i usually put smash attacks or attacks which can help me use perfect pivot. For grabs , i just change the l button to grab and the r button to shield.

Jake_11534

Smash Rookie
Hi everyone,

Honestly, Gamecube is okay but to me i'm more comfortable with the pro controller. For jumps, i don't put tap jump because i found out using tilts is much easier and i use x and y for jumps most of the time. For c sticks, i usually put smash attacks or attacks which can help me use perfect pivot. For grabs , i just change the l button to grab and the r button to shield.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
I'm part of a minority and use the 3DS as a controller whenever I'd play smash Wii U on whoever's Wii U console. I've honestly never felt much of a difference playing with the 3DS or gamecube controllers. Same with Brawl back in the day using the Wiimote + numchuck and the Gamecube controller. I've never felt whatever frustration people have with those controllers (but I have felt the frustration with the wii u pad and wiimote (solo), just can't play with those :mad:). As for how I map the controller I keep it mostly the same but I turn Y into a grab button, L into a jump button and disable tap jump. I use X to Jump and only use L for a couple tech moves and also to jump with Kirby while I have the hammer out.

Last edited:

Ruben Samich

Smash Rookie
Classic controller pro master race, and before people say "*snottiest voice possible* why don't you just use a pro controller" why the heck would you want triggers and sticks with no notches for smash?

ABXY-default, i don't use them, except for smash attacks

(R)- tilt

(ZL)-grab

(L)-shield

(ZR)-Special

(R)-jump

This control scheme is amazing because, my goal when i made it was to never have to switch my fingers around between buttons (besides zl/l and zr/r) This control scheme is not good if your character relies on smash attacks, but me being a samus main, with slow smash attacks and amazing tilts, it works great.

I don't like the GC controller for smash, honestly the only reason people still use it is because they got used to it in melee ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

A Scrub

BonghornLeghorn
NNID
BonghornLeghorn
L jump
Lz shield
R special
Rz grab
ABXY attack
Tilt stick
Tap off

Having everything on the shoulders lets you have access to every action with minimal delay from finger movement in between.

This is also very similar to optimal settings that wiimote+nunchuck controls have.

I use the pro controller.

Last edited:

Ruben Samich

Smash Rookie
A Scrub A Scrub

Have you tried the classic controller pro, it's my controller of choice and I feel it's much better for smash because ZL&ZR are buttons rather than triggers, so you can hit them faster, also the sticks have notches which lowers the risk of accidentally putting the right stick in the wrong direction[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Eekum_bokum

Smash Cadet
Gamecube controller with the default control scheme. Although I use the analog stick to jump, it's extremely difficult if not impossible to short hop with the analog stick, so I use X to short hop.

I don't know about you guys but at the local tourneys around here, they pretty much despise pro controllers. Like, some of them have them banned. I think when you forget to disconnect it, it messes with the setups a lot.

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
I don't know about you guys but at the local tourneys around here, they pretty much despise pro controllers. Like, some of them have them banned. I think when you forget to disconnect it, it messes with the setups a lot.
I leave the batteries out and use the cord (official recommended standard). A lot of tournaments, especially local ones, are a bit more lax. I know that that also has something to do with region, though. Several of Georgia's top players, for instance, use wireless controllers.

A Scrub

BonghornLeghorn
NNID
BonghornLeghorn
Have you tried the classic controller pro, it's my controller of choice and I feel it's much better for smash because ZL&ZR are buttons rather than triggers, so you can hit them faster, also the sticks have notches which lowers the risk of accidentally putting the right stick in the wrong direction
I have tried the Classic Pro, I have a couple and tried to switch to them. But I find my left thumb gets sore from the angle that I have to hold it.

The octagonal gates are wonderful. I don't like that the distance for full angle on the sticks are wider than the pro controller, but I imagine once you get used to it it would allow you to have more precise control over walking/running.

I also prefer the buttons on the Classic Pro for LRLZRZ over triggers of the Pro controller, but the action is so short that I don't find it to be a problem. The Gamecube triggers are terrible though.

Additionally, I have been getting better at nair-ing with A and losing as little momentum as possible, though sometimes I still use attack stick to nair.

However--This will be moot soon. I was using the Smashbox Alpha (which I sold recently) and there is a dedicated button for C-stick nairs. I think I'll be going back the the Smashbox after the final version comes in for me. We'll see.

I use Wii U Pro with tap jump on and C-stick set to Attack (or Smash in the case of :4ganondorf::4kirby::4littlemac::4sonic::4tlink::4villager::4zss:). I keep tap jump on because I can't get used to using other buttons to jump.
It took me a solid week with tap jump off before I got used to playing with button-jump. It is SO worth it when you stop accidentally burning your second jump. I highly recommend a week of holding L's and getting the muscle memory. It is a game changer.

Last edited:

Ruben Samich

Smash Rookie
I have tried the Classic Pro, I have a couple and tried to switch to them. But I find my left thumb gets sore from the angle that I have to hold it.

The octagonal gates are wonderful. I don't like that the distance for full angle on the sticks are wider than the pro controller, but I imagine once you get used to it it would allow you to have more precise control over walking/running.

I also prefer the buttons on the Classic Pro for LRLZRZ over triggers of the Pro controller, but the action is so short that I don't find it to be a problem. The Gamecube triggers are terrible though.
I REALLY like the classic controller pro, and i've never felt your problem with your left thumb getting sore. Maybe it's just cause everyone's hands are a little different, but it fits perfectly. Honestly, I like it so much, I've compared it to an Xbox 360 controller, and anyone who has or at least has used one of those knows how good they are. My only complaint with the classic controller pro is how incredibly light it is.

But, everyone has their preferences for controllers, and i won't argue with that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

unless your favorite controller is the Wii U Gamepad, then you don't deserve to live

Top Bottom