• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Struggling Against the Marth Match Up

Uffe

Smash Hero
Hi. I thought I'd ask the Ness mains how to deal with Marth (and Lucina), but then I thought that maybe you guys and gals can shed some light on how I can at least deal with a competent Marth. I often feel like I need to run away, which is where I struggle to be patient as well, because I end up getting walled by a flurry of fairs/nairs. Side B is annoying to deal with as well. What weaknesses, if any, can I take advantage of when I'm fighting Marth? This match up has always been an uphill battle for Ness, and I'm hoping I can finally get some answers. Thanks.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
- Your Dash Attack will help you get in (it's a really good move but especially against a button-happy Marcina).
- Punish out of shield with Fair/Bair/Nair.
- Obvious PK Fires in neutral do NOT work against a truly good Marcina and will get you wrecked.
- Juggle A LOT with PK Thunder. Always look for those.
- Throw off-stage with Fthrow. Even instead of Dthrow to Fair combo. You want them off stage as much as possible so you can PK Thunder.
- Ledge trap with Dsmash and both aerial and grounded PK Fire.
- When dealing with their offense, use strategic defense and focus on slowing down the match if you're feeling overwhelmed.
- When recovering, don't try to double jump past the ledge. This character has fast disjoints. (Does PK Thunder still snap to ledge during the start like Smash 4? If so, cancel double jump with this).

Lastly, the best way to learn how to beat this character is to use this character. That will help get you the microspacing needed to whiff punish against them.

Last edited:

Uffe

Smash Hero
- Your Dash Attack will help you get in (it's a really good move but especially against a button-happy Marcina).
- Punish out of shield with Fair/Bair/Nair.
- Obvious PK Fires in neutral do NOT work against a truly good Marcina and will get you wrecked.
- Juggle A LOT with PK Thunder. Always look for those.
- Throw off-stage with Fthrow. Even instead of Dthrow to Fair combo. You want them off stage as much as possible so you can PK Thunder.
- Ledge trap with Dsmash and both aerial and grounded PK Fire.
- When dealing with their offense, use strategic defense and focus on slowing down the match if you're feeling overwhelmed.
- When recovering, don't try to double jump past the ledge. This character has fast disjoints. (Does PK Thunder still snap to ledge during the start like Smash 4? If so, cancel double jump with this).

Lastly, the best way to learn how to beat this character is to use this character. That will help get you the microspacing needed to whiff punish against them.
Wow! This is some nice tips. Thanks a lot, man! You can still use PK Thunder near the ledge to attack in case the opponent is being aggressive, if that's what you're asking.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Wow! This is some nice tips. Thanks a lot, man! You can still use PK Thunder near the ledge to attack in case the opponent is being aggressive, if that's what you're asking.
I definitely do have nice Tips... bad joke.

Anyway. Like when you're recovering, you PK Thunder when Ness is by the ledge, directing the ball to the stage/opponent, while you grab the ledge. This and an occasional directional air dodge and always better against Marcina than double jumping past with an air dodge or hitbox.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Yeah, the PK Thunder thing still works near the ledge with the ball hitting the stage or opponent.

Top Bottom