• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Striking Back! (Mewtwo Social)

2 C H i L L E D

Eternal Hitstun
3DS FC
3956-0619-2163
This is probably true, but people aren't just complaining to complain, they're moving on to different characters. I don't see why it's some kind of problem they should be criticized for.

Smash4 Mewtwo was far and away my #1 main. My best fighter when I was playing tryhards to win, and 2nd most fun out of everyone, only behind Zelda.
He honestly didn't feel that much different to me coming into Ultimate, but I noticed my results just falling off; losing matches I felt I was doing well in, or just noticing that I was performing better with other fighters in comparison.
So I didn't straight up *drop* M2 because I don't claim to be a pro player, but I did start playing other fighters a lot more in M2's place. Fighters with less weaknesses, better advantages and that give me better results. There are 75 fighters in this game, why should a casual player be guilted into sticking with only one? And if you *are* a pro player, you definitely need to do whatever you can to win.

If you look at what people do between iterations of Smash ever since Melee came out; they switch their characters around when new games come out because new ones are added and invasive core changes are often made to their old fighters. I think Ultimate had the best approach to this since they didn't so much as overhaul each fighter as they "honed" each one. Zelda is better at "Zelda-ing" than before; her moves have been changed to optimize playing *as* Zelda, if that makes sense. Samus is more "Samus-y" than before and has nearly her entire kit, even her close range normals built around her charge shot. Palutena does pretty much exactly what she did before, only better as every move is "fixed" or made to do what it was meant to do even better. Greninja is the same; sans the footstool combos and dash grabs. You see this change pretty universally and I think it's great.
The thing with Mewtwo; the issue with Mewtwo seems to just be Sakurai's core vision for how he sees him as a fighter in this game. A textbook glass cannon. So they took M2's fighter archetype and honed that like they did with most everyone else, which in the case of the glass cannon that he is, made his weaknesses weaker and his strengths stronger. This makes player opinions of him very polarizing because one person will see his nerfs from the last game while another will notice his buffs in Ultimate... and the thing is that they're both right.

...therefore if someone is of the experienced anecdotal opinion that Mewtwo's nerfs outweigh his buffs and wants to play another character, that's their prerogative. No one else can object to that choice with anything other than their own experienced anecdotal opinion, which is all it is in the end.
I’m not criticizing anyone for dropping a character, as I’ve dropped plenty of characters over multiple fighting games including traditional ones. My criticism comes for those who are dropping the character under the impression that he is bad when that is simply not the case.

And I don’t expect a SINGLE player who goes to tournaments to solo main any character whatsoever, besides maybe Peach. It’s just not a smart move in a game with 75 characters and soon to be more.

My argument is that the character has too many tools to be bad. Nothing more than that.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
I’m not criticizing anyone for dropping a character, as I’ve dropped plenty of characters over multiple fighting games including traditional ones. My criticism comes for those who are dropping the character under the impression that he is bad when that is simply not the case.

And I don’t expect a SINGLE player who goes to tournaments to solo main any character whatsoever, besides maybe Peach. It’s just not a smart move in a game with 75 characters and soon to be more.

My argument is that the character has too many tools to be bad. Nothing more than that.
“I’m not criticizing people for dropping a character, but my criticism comes from those who are dropping the character”

?????

Don’t backtrack. You insulted me as a player and as a person because I wasn’t satisfied with him in this game (many others feel the same way). You implied that my opinion is this way because I “got bodied on quickplay”, when you yourself have never even been to a local. I’ve mained and have had success with Mewtwo since 2010, you think you’re gonna tell me I don’t understand the character and that my take isn’t worth something, while yours is? Please.

Putting you on the ignore list. I just cant stand to see someone who insulted me yesterday take the high horse today like it never happened.

Last edited:

2 C H i L L E D

Eternal Hitstun
3DS FC
3956-0619-2163
That's all well and good, but the issue I feel is the detractor side believes their arguments just a bit too much, almost trying to pass them off as absolute facts.

I for one, have a less than stellar record trying to use Pichu. Doesn't mean I'm going to go around trying to convince people he's not top tier and lambast those who disagree or stick with him regardless. I just accept that I'm not as good at using characters like him. If only others were more honest...
Exactly man. I saw a guy running Sonic at 3.75 Mil this weekend. I was like what the hell let me use some Sonic then I got completely destroyed. I know I’ve always been a HORRIBLE Sonic the character just doesn’t click with me. I always just end up spamming Side-B or Down-B and killing myself.

I didn’t go to the Sonic sub-section and tell them why their character was bad and unusable because I myself can’t use the character.

Then to make matters even worse the people in this thread claiming Mewtwo to be this awful character don’t even have a solid argument as to why he is bad. They may have a solid argument as to why he isn’t top tier but no one is arguing that. Tell me exactly why two months into the game you think you know definitively, this character is bad.

I wrote a wall of text to every part of T-Donor66 T-Donor66 ‘s argument and he couldn’t even produce a counter argument. He literally goes “Believe what you want”

Like lmao, okay? This guy must definitely know the character is bad right?

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
Exactly man. I saw a guy running Sonic at 3.75 Mil this weekend. I was like what the hell let me use some Sonic then I got completely destroyed. I know I’ve always been a HORRIBLE Sonic the character just doesn’t click with me. I always just end up spamming Side-B or Down-B and killing myself.

I didn’t go to the Sonic sub-section and tell them why their character was bad and unusable because I myself can’t use the character.

Then to make matters even worse the people in this thread claiming Mewtwo to be this awful character don’t even have a solid argument as to why he is bad. They may have a solid argument as to why he isn’t top tier but no one is arguing that. Tell me exactly why two months into the game you think you know definitively, this character is bad.

I wrote a wall of text to every part of T-Donor66 T-Donor66 ‘s argument and he couldn’t even produce a counter argument. He literally goes “Believe what you want”

Like lmao, okay? This guy must definitely know the character is bad right?
Wait, you thought that because I initially didn’t bother replying to that passive aggressive jargon you wrote, it means I have no argument? Thats rich.

Hm, lets see, in a game that revolves all around advantage and disadvantage states, Mewtwo happens to have a terrible one, one of the worst in the game. In a fast paced game where aerial killing blows are faster than ever, and survivability is rewarded, he is the 5th lightest in the game. Surely if he is so light and has such a hard time getting out of disadvantage, he must has a small frame to make it hard for him to get hit and to get out of combos? Nope! Super heavy sized hurtbox.

Well at least he has reliable disjoints to keep away opponents from hitting him? Nope! His tail is constantly an ever extending hurtbox that gets beat out by other disjoints.

Surely, surely he must at LEAST have lightning fast frame data and virtually no lag to compansate for all of these other traits that would make him a lackluster character, right, right?

EXCUSE ME??? You trying a random character for 2 matches, doing horribly, and going onto the Sonic sub to tell them their character sucks, is the same as me maining a character competitively for 8 years, going onto a thread I have participated in ages for, and explaining my disappointment and how I think the character is holding back my competitive career? You must have no concept of situational analysis if you think that analogy is okay.

Your comments where you imply the people on the other side of this debate dont actually have any valid grievances is hilarious. No one actually said he is bottom tier, or that he doesn’t have any good tools, but you keep implying that thats what everyone is saying. Again, keep berating and ignoring everyone who thinks differently than you, thats such a great mindset to have lol.

Now that ive provided my argument, whats gonna be your attempt to discredit it? Something along the lines of “its not valid”? Gimme a break.

Last edited:

2 C H i L L E D

Eternal Hitstun
3DS FC
3956-0619-2163
You literally repeated everything I had already addressed in my initial response. You also keep saying you’ve mained this character for years. My guy, this game has been out for two months lol.

And I’m not going to attempt to discredit anything. How could I discredit the word of the 18 year Mewtwo main whose idea of a successful competitive career is winning a few locals?

It’s been days since I’ve responded to you and you’re still super salty. Just chill out, move on and hold them L’s dawg. Lol

T-Donor66 T-Donor66

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
You literally repeated everything I had already addressed in my initial response. You also keep saying you’ve mained this character for years. My guy, this game has been out for two months lol.

And I’m not going to attempt to discredit anything. How could I discredit the word of the 18 year Mewtwo main whose idea of a successful competitive career is winning a few locals?

It’s been days since I’ve responded to you and you’re still super salty. Just chill out, move on and hold them L’s dawg. Lol

T-Donor66 T-Donor66
You are the saltiest scrub I’ve met on this site tbh. You’re the one that admitted I “triggered” you over an online forum post lmao. How can you call someone salty after you admit that? Nice projection. Also, good job trying to downplay me by saying i only “won a few locals”, when you are the definition of a WiFi warrior who hasn’t played in a single tournament. Attacking me for me assumed age as well? I’m the salty one here?

I’m bored of you, it’s sad how defensive you get at the idea of someone saying something remotely negative about your favorite character. Enjoy the mute!

Last edited:

Downshift

Smash Journeyman
That's all well and good, but the issue I feel is the detractor side believes their arguments just a bit too much, almost trying to pass them off as absolute facts.
I think it's pretty even on both sides. I didn't even have to leave this page to see 2 C H i L L E D stating things like, "Mewtwo being bad is simply not the case."
Agree or disagree, that's an absolute statement, expressed as fact, not opinion.
However, I don't think anyone can believe their own opinion *too* much. People just need to be aware of and respect where others are coming from because people are passionate about this game and we need to remain a community.

OK sure, and at this point you've put substantial effort into trying to drill that point into our heads for days now. Good for you.
My point is, I don't think you understand where other people are coming from when they disagree with your points. As a result, you've already had a moderator warning and someone threaten to put you on Ignore. Is that how you're going to convince people to agree with you?

To you actual point, I don't think this has ever been such a simple issue of whether Mewtwo is "good" or "bad". In the case of people choosing to play M2 in Ultimate or not, it all comes down to if he's better than characters X, Y, or Z.

It appears that T-Donor66 switched from Mewtwo to Ike, and I'm playing Greninja in Mewtwo's place now. So the conversation shouldn't be everyone trying to argue over one character's strengths and weaknesses, it should be more positive with each party comparing the strengths of their character to Mewtwo's own strengths.
A statement like, "Mewtwo's UpSmash sucks", is just going to lead to contention, while saying "Greninja's UpSmash is better because, 'blah, blah, blah'", is more likely to lead to a conversation, or at worst an actual debate where both people can learn something from the other.

2 C H i L L E D

Eternal Hitstun
3DS FC
3956-0619-2163
Downshift Downshift

When I said “him being bad is simply not the case” I expressed it as a fact because it is one. Bad means literal garbage in fighting games, a word for characters with absolutely nothing going for them. Mewtwo is not such a character. T-Donor could have said the character was decent or even below average. Instead he outright calls the character bad.

I got a mod warning correct and I corrected myself afterwards because I was wrong to tell T-Donor66 T-Donor66 he gives up on characters fast. Do you really think I care if someone online mute/blocks me lol? Especially someone who has been flaming me nonstop even after the mod said chill? I hope you don’t.

Okay if the argument was about “is Mewtwo better than X, Y or Z” then some other characters would have been mentioned in the numerous posts during this debate. But that’s not the case, go back and read the posts and you will see the debate is literally about Mewtwo being bad. I’m not making these things up.

2 C H i L L E D

Eternal Hitstun
3DS FC
3956-0619-2163
You are the saltiest scrub I’ve met on this site tbh. You’re the one that admitted I “triggered” you over an online forum post lmao. How can you call someone salty after you admit that? Nice projection. Also, good job trying to downplay me by saying i only “won a few locals”, when you are the definition of a WiFi warrior who hasn’t played in a single tournament. Attacking me for me assumed age as well? I’m the salty one here?

I’m bored of you, it’s sad how defensive you get at the idea of someone saying something remotely negative about your favorite character. Enjoy the mute!
Lol ok dude I’m done being nice to you.

Well then what else have you won sir? Other than winning a local, please tell me the success story behind your competitive career. How many majors have you taken with Mewtwo? How many majors have you won in general?

You’ve been maining him 12 years right?

Well let’s do some basic math. 2019-12 = 2007. The only smash games available in 2007 are Melee and 64.

So you didn’t do **** with Mewtwo in 2007 because the only notable Mewtwo that went to tourneys was Taj. Are you Taj in secrecy? No? ....oh ok didn’t think so.

2008 Brawl came out and if you forgot Mewtwo wasn’t in that game buddy. So from 2008 until September of 2014 the only way you would have played Mewtwo is on Melee or PM. The only PM Mewtwos I know of are Frozen and EmuKiller are you either of those people? No? ....oh ok didn’t think so.

Finally in the last quarter of 2014 Smash 4 was released but wait, Mewtwo wasn’t even in the base game. It was almost May of 2015 before Mewtwo found his way back into an official smash game.

Lmao, you had the nerve to call me a fraud? Who’s really the fraud here?

You’re killing me with the Wi-Fi warrior comments too lol. Lunchables, a player that was just ranked top 3 in the world for PM last year? Yeah he was a Wi-Fi warrior, I used to play this guy when he was little kid maining Toon Link on PM. After years of grinding this man is top 3 and I salute him. In your case after 12 years of “grinding” (if that’s what you want to call it) and going to tournaments you’re on Smashboards complaining about getting bodied. Lmao dude you’re a clown.

Lol I bet if anything I could trash your sorry Ike with Mewtwo kid. I’m not tolerating your stupidity any longer, I’m only going to expose it. Play me or shut up.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I think it's pretty even on both sides. I didn't even have to leave this page to see 2 C H i L L E D stating things like, "Mewtwo being bad is simply not the case."
Agree or disagree, that's an absolute statement, expressed as fact, not opinion.
However, I don't think anyone can believe their own opinion *too* much. People just need to be aware of and respect where others are coming from because people are passionate about this game and we need to remain a community.
I feel more comfortable siding with 2 C H i L L E D 2 C H i L L E D because, even if he's no saint looking at his latest post, he at least acknowledges the arguments against his case, whereas T-Donor66 T-Donor66 completely glosses over any positive Mewtwo may have just because they're not typical top-tier strengths like disjointed hitboxes or suffocating frame data. Plus, his posts were short and sweet until the latter exploded at him for little reason. He wasn't even directly addressing T-Donor66 T-Donor66 at the time.

Downshift

Smash Journeyman
When I said “him being bad is simply not the case” I expressed it as a fact because it is one. Bad means literal garbage in fighting games, a word for characters with absolutely nothing going for them. Mewtwo is not such a character. T-Donor could have said the character was decent or even below average. Instead he outright calls the character bad.

I got a mod warning correct and I corrected myself afterwards because I was wrong to tell T-Donor66 T-Donor66 he gives up on characters fast. Do you really think I care if someone online mute/blocks me lol? Especially someone who has been flaming me nonstop even after the mod said chill? I hope you don’t.
We both read the same posts by T-Donor. He was defending M2 from Merpis in previous posts, clearly gave the character a fair shot before swapping to a character he felt was better. Why is it that I knew what he meant and you didn't? I still hold that it's because you don't stop to consider where other people were coming from.
Like even now, you KNOW T-Donor is tilted and you're still going for jabs. How do you think this is going to end, considering that mod warning you already got?

Okay if the argument was about “is Mewtwo better than X, Y or Z” then some other characters would have been mentioned in the numerous posts during this debate. But that’s not the case, go back and read the posts and you will see the debate is literally about Mewtwo being bad. I’m not making these things up.
I didn't say the argument *was* about comparing Mewtwo to other fighters, I said that it *should* be because then it would be more productive. I also said that if it was just "Mewtwo sucks" vs "Mewtwo doesn't suck", it's going to lead to contention, which is exactly what happened.
You're not even arguing character attributes anymore, you're both making personal attacks, which I also said would happen because people are passionate about Smash, especially if they have active accounts on here.

So why not switch gears and convince me why I should stick with Mewtwo instead of switching to Greninja? Your profile says you were a Greninja main in Smash4, so you should have decent familiarity with both right?
I'll start by saying that Greninja has a smaller hurtbox, is faster on the ground and in the air, has disjointed attacks, has a counter (that's invincible now), has decent kill confirms and combos, and has decent KO power with his UpSmash rivaling M2's. He is also has at least comparable frame data, if not faster. His recovery is also decent, allowing him to safely go deep offstage for edgeguards, and its windbox can also be used to gimp. While Greninja's water shuriken is not quite as strong as shadow ball fully charged, and can't be stored, it can be fired off in succession much faster and used to zone break or disrupt approaches better than uncharged shadow balls. The disjointed moves are also a factor. With Greninja I can choose to use either Fair to challenge another aerial or disjointed move if I want a better chance at beating it or at least trading, in cases when Bair would lose out since it's not disjointed. Something like Cloud's Dair would actually beat M2's Utilt since the tail is a hurtbox, whereas Greninja's disjointed USmash will at least trade and keep Cloud in the air.
Then of course, Greninja is heavier. (91 vs 77?)

Last edited:

2 C H i L L E D

Eternal Hitstun
3DS FC
3956-0619-2163
Downshift Downshift

The mod told me chill. I chilled. I was done he continued to respond to me and I ignored him. He should have been modded at that point. After the last post he made towards me he was asking for it. He’s been posting bull from the moment I responded to him. It was about time someone called him on it. It is what it is.

And I thought you were saying the argument was about something else I apologize.

Lol my profile says I was a Greninja main? I must have just thrown that in there because I didn’t play Smash 4 competitively at all. I’m sorry but I know absolutely nothing about the character. If I had the knowledge I’d be happy to talk about it without having to go at each other’s throats.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Both sides of this on-going discussion have ignored the multiple warnings I have given for keeping the argument out of the realm of personal insults. Viability discussion is welcome but it is clear this one needs to be dropped in it's entirety or at the very least reset within a different thread:

https://smashboards.com/threads/get-the-facts-about-mewtwos-hurtbox-disjoints-here.476521/
https://smashboards.com/threads/mewtwo-moveset-data-discussion.464651/
https://smashboards.com/threads/mewtwos-current-place-in-the-meta.468477/
https://smashboards.com/threads/competitive-character-impressions-2-0.464762/

Remember that you can put other users under ignore in your account settings.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Sometimes I almost wish Mewtwo didn't get buffed in 4. Being in a class of your own once can really warp perceptions...

Downshift

Smash Journeyman
I never thought Mewtwo was top 10 in Smash4, top 25 probably. That's hardly a "class of your own". That's a title reserved for 64 Kirby, Melee Fox/Falco, Brawl Metaknight, or Smash4 Bayo and Cloud.

He really only jumped up to the Top tier in competitive play after that footstool-Disable combo that was really more of a glitch exploit that I'm glad they patched out.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I see I missed a lot here.. While I don’t think Mewtwo’s necessarily bad now, the nerfs have really limited my enjoyment of using him compared to before, to the point he’s one of my least used secondaries now. I won’t drop him completely on account of liking the character, but especially in a game of 70+ characters, there’s no shame in dropping someone if they’re not doing it for you anymore (even if you like them), and I don’t really blame anyone that dropped him here. These things happen all the time from game to game. Smash 4 Mewtwo may have just spoiled us to a point maybe, tho since it was kinda brought up, I would like to see some labbing results of the current Mewtwo posted sometime. Might motivate me to practice with him more again if there’s some combos or something I don’t know about...

2 C H i L L E D

Eternal Hitstun
3DS FC
3956-0619-2163
https://youtu.be/klzNkvkkwWg
SDX (Mewtwo) vs Awestin (Ness) GFs.

First off shoutout to SDX for sticking with M2 even if he is having problems with him. Also congratulations to him for placing second.

SDX is an amazing player and I’m not trying to take anything away from him but his offstage edgeguarding is simply not there. There were numerous stocks that he should have been able to take offstage, especially in a MU against Ness.

Between winners final and grands it wasn’t until their 7th game that he closed a stock offstage with B-air. It made it much harder for him to beat Awestin’s Ness especially when Awestin was doing fairly well at edgeguarding Mewtwo.

Once again great job by him. Had he been able to close out those edgeguards, especially at low percents, I feel like he would have taken this set easily.

Last edited:

Gileril

Smash Cadet
Man a lot of negativity going on. The only thing I'll say on his viability is that I think the jury is still out; it's most definitely not a fact that he's not bad, because he's not very successful in tournaments, sitting behind close to two thirds of the roster when looking at results alone. On the other hand there are still good players trying to make him work. We'll see.

But man am I having fun with him just rocking out in elite battles. Sm4sh was in a part of my life where I wasn't really able to give the game much attention, so I guess I don't know what I'm missing and maybe that's part of it. I love his tilts and nair in particular. I suspect that many of the characters giving me trouble at the moment have more to do with me still learning how things work in ultimate (and being further behind than most having largely skipped sm4sh) and less to do with mewtwo.

C3CC

Smash Lord
I have also considered dropping Mewtwo. It sucks, because he's my favorite character, but I just don't feel as comfortable playing with him as I did in Smash 4. There's just something that doesn't click with me. I hate how absolutely ridiculously long it takes for him to act out of air dodge; I swear to God he lasts way longer than other characters.

I think I'm switching to Ridley...

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Gotta say, I really like the major knockback increase Mewtwo's back aerial has now if nothing else. The tail flicking from behind, you'd think that's what Ridley's b-air would've been in hindsight, not that I mind what we got with his or Mewtwo's. Feels odd to say b-air might be more reliable than f-air (or shadow claw) for Mewtwo now as well...

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I just wanna say that I believe Mewtwo is suffering from the same disease that Rosalina, Diddy Kong, ZSS, and other Smash 4 top tiers have. Mewtwo is still an excellent character, and I'll stand by that. I just think everyone is flooding to newer characters who got buffed and characters with lower learning curves (which might explain why most sword characters are considered high tier. They get more action in tournaments because they're not as difficult to master.)

Ultimate has only been out for two months; just let some more time pass. Hard to say Mewtwo is terrible when there's barely any results to judge him by.

Gotta say, I really like the major knockback increase Mewtwo's back aerial has now if nothing else. The tail flicking from behind, you'd think that's what Ridley's b-air would've been in hindsight, not that I mind what we got with his or Mewtwo's. Feels odd to say b-air might be more reliable than f-air (or shadow claw) for Mewtwo now as well...
For how long it takes to perform, the back aerial definitely needed more knockback. I still think f-air is the better option though. The sheer speed and power makes it so much better for combos than the b-air.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I just wanna say that I believe Mewtwo is suffering from the same disease that Rosalina, Diddy Kong, ZSS, and other Smash 4 top tiers have. Mewtwo is still an excellent character, and I'll stand by that. I just think everyone is flooding to newer characters who got buffed and characters with lower learning curves (which might explain why most sword characters are considered high tier. They get more action in tournaments because they're not as difficult to master.)

Ultimate has only been out for two months; just let some more time pass. Hard to say Mewtwo is terrible when there's barely any results to judge him by.

For how long it takes to perform, the back aerial definitely needed more knockback. I still think f-air is the better option though. The sheer speed and power makes it so much better for combos than the b-air.
Yeah... at low percents. Past that it's just too strong to get any real followups from landing it... but it can kill onstage and bair picks up the combo slack from there. The latter's range also makes it much easier to use when edgeguarding.

Mario's probably the most fortunate of the ''nerfed Smash 4 top tiers'' due to always being easy to pick up.

Last edited:

Browny

Smash Hater
Another day, another time I'm forced to go out of my way to stop the spread of misinformation.

I'm just going to repost what I wrote on discord, in response to this which is likely to make the rounds among the serial complainers (note I'm not talking about the person who took this, I'm talking about the ones which are filled with joy at the prospect of spreading misinformation about Mewtwo).

1550809367845.png

This rest hit Mewtwos tail, which certainly gives the impression that his entire tail is a hurtbox, but theres something else going on here.

I tested it pretty easily, it appears that during the rising animation of mewtwos jump, his tail tip briefly enters the z axis, but the rest of his tail actually doesn't

1550809473120.png

1550809801249.png

In the first picture there, the tip of the tail is hittable, but not the main body. A few frames later, or during the double jump, almost his entire tail actually enters the z axis as is unhittable. It absolutely seems like the issue of it passing into the z axis is a bug. There's no reason by the mid section of the tail is out of plane, but the tip is, and then the tip moves into it a few frames later where it stays.

Now of course, it doesn't help much if the tail tip is hittable but the mid section is not, you're going to get hit anyway. The important question is, how often are you going to be in a situation where the tip of his tail is going to be in the enemies range, while you jump away from them? the answer is almost never, so its basically not a problem.

The takeaway is this is a bug. Yes it is an obvious flaw, but it is a flaw that is almost never going to affect actual gameplay because it is so rare it will ever happen. Its like Mewtwo bonking in smash 4 on the stage. As long as you didnt use upb at a 0/180 degree angle, you would literally never run into this problem. A flaw, but inconsequential.

Attachments

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
So... I see “Armored Mewtwo” got trademarked recently. If they’re gonna explore the armored Pokemon concept a bit more in Sword/Shield, then makes sense for Mewtwo to be the initial posterchild of it I guess, like it was for mega-evolution. This and the first movie remake seem to be aligning perfectly, though still not sure how invested I’ll be in the latter.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
So... I see “Armored Mewtwo” got trademarked recently. If they’re gonna explore the armored Pokemon concept a bit more in Sword/Shield, then makes sense for Mewtwo to be the initial posterchild of it I guess, like it was for mega-evolution. This and the first movie remake seem to be aligning perfectly, though still not sure how invested I’ll be in the latter.
There's also the possibility that this is a trademark related to the "Armored Mewtwo" we've always known and not related to Sword/Shield at all.

I won't rule the obvious out, but it feels weird for GameFreak to do the exact same thing two Gens later. I love Mewtwo, but he's not that much of a posterchild, is he? Surely they can introduce the concept with someone else.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
There's also the possibility that this is a trademark related to the "Armored Mewtwo" we've always known and not related to Sword/Shield at all.

I won't rule the obvious out, but it feels weird for GameFreak to do the exact same thing two Gens later. I love Mewtwo, but he's not that much of a posterchild, is he? Surely they can introduce the concept with someone else.
That, and if these "Armored Pokémon" are the new gimmick to shake up old Pokémon with, like Gen 6's Megas and Gen 7's regional variants, it makes sense for there to be no overlap in the eligible Pokémon. I can't be the only one who noticed that none of the Pokémon who got regional variants in Gen 7 had received Mega Evolutions in Gen 6, right?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
That, and if these "Armored Pokémon" are the new gimmick to shake up old Pokémon with, like Gen 6's Megas and Gen 7's regional variants, it makes sense for there to be no overlap in the eligible Pokémon. I can't be the only one who noticed that none of the Pokémon who got regional variants in Gen 7 had received Mega Evolutions in Gen 6, right?
This is assuming Megas aren't getting phased out...

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett

I wouldn't be so sure. I know if I had to introduce a concept called Armored Evolution, I'd probably do it with a Pokemon that already has a recognizable armored form to begin with, favoritism be damned.
Though if this does turn out to be for Sword/Shield, I'll be even more salty that we still don't have an Armored Mewtwo costume in Smash yet.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I wouldn't be so sure. I know if I had to introduce a concept called Armored Evolution, I'd probably do it with a Pokemon that already has a recognizable armored form to begin with, favoritism be damned.
Though if this does turn out to be for Sword/Shield, I'll be even more salty that we still don't have an Armored Mewtwo costume in Smash yet.
Still, it's weird that they chose the exact same Pokémon. The scenarios are so awfully similar that I can't help but feel hesitant to jump on board.

Gen 6: "Let's introduce Mega Evolutions with an iconic Pokémon. Mewtwo sound good?
Gen 8: "Let's introduce Armored Evolutions with an iconic Pokémon. ...Wanna do Mewtwo again?"

I mean, again, I'm not complaining if it gets Mewtwo more time in the spotlight (and maybe a certain alt costume, Sakurai?), but c'mon. Surely GameFreak is better than this rinse and repeat tactic. It'll look even worse if they reveal it in the new CGI movie, similar to how "Mewthree" was revealed in the Genesect movie.

I'm not dismissing this just yet, but I'm not leaning toward it being real either.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

Might look better in action, but for a still shot, looks overdetailed and jumbled together. There was nothing wrong with the original armor design, but guess they feel they need to somehow reinvent Mewtwo every time.

Speaking of movies, I did like how Mewtwo was in Detective Pikachu far as the role it got. Loved it. The design was better than I thought from the trailer bits too.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
So most of you are probably already aware, but Mewtwo got some nice buffs in the latest patch.

Honestly, I'm pretty excited about most of these changes; the tail hitbox change shows they're listening at the very least, and they gave Dsmash even LESS endlag than it already had. It's not much, but it's good that they're at least paying attention to us.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yeah. The tail hitbox is still not ideal but like I said, it’s a start, and step in the right direction.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Hm, not bad. Now I'm actually motivated to try and get my GSP with Mewtwo back up again, who I was always sad to be kinda the lowest out of those I normally used no matter how much I tried.

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I recently picked up Mewtwo and he feels pretty good (despite all the hate) and I think I want to stick with him. I do, however, find it almost unbearable to play against sword characters and projectile characters (and Arceus forbid someone like Robin who is a sword AND projectile character).

Any pro tips? Of course use tail moves like forward and down tilt, maybe even some Bair, but anything beyond the basics?

xXZeroXx

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, I recently picked up Mewtwo and he feels pretty good (despite all the hate) and I think I want to stick with him. I do, however, find it almost unbearable to play against sword characters and projectile characters (and Arceus forbid someone like Robin who is a sword AND projectile character).

Any pro tips? Of course use tail moves like forward and down tilt, maybe even some Bair, but anything beyond the basics?
I have been playing Mewtwo since launch and I still have trouble with Lucinas and Roys, I'm pretty sure they are just an awful matchup at this point.
I try to play more at the ledge when I fight them but if they are actually good, it's almost impossible to win.
Kinda the same with Palutena, she is just too good at spamming aerials and projectiles.

That said I'd recommend distance with swordies, most of their attacks come out faster than Mewtwo's so it's going to be a hard time if you keep going head on.

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
I have been playing Mewtwo since launch and I still have trouble with Lucinas and Roys, I'm pretty sure they are just an awful matchup at this point.
I try to play more at the ledge when I fight them but if they are actually good, it's almost impossible to win.
Kinda the same with Palutena, she is just too good at spamming aerials and projectiles.

That said I'd recommend distance with swordies, most of their attacks come out faster than Mewtwo's so it's going to be a hard time if you keep going head on.
In theory, M2 has all the tools to make a really good character. Disjoints, a long reach, solid OOS option, strong recovery options, a reflector, and massive kill potential. Of course there's the obvious draw backs of light weight / big frame, but I honestly think M2's toolkit is solid enough to overcome that.

Pretty much what I'm trying to say is I think M2 has the potential to be a good character and I really want him to be.

Last edited:
Top Bottom