• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Striking Back! (Mewtwo Social)

Caravan of Noobs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheCrazyPieMan
3DS FC
2621-3128-5801
Switch FC
SW-0260-3374-4829
I'm not a fan of playing the Pokemon series or playing as the Pokemon in Smash so Mewtwo's loss will only enrage my hatred for cutting unique movesets instead of me missing the character. I do hope that when he returns his Final Smash gets that cool cutscene from his reveal trailer when he bursts everyone's minds open. That was cool and I was disappointed when I learned it wasn't implemented in game.

D

Deleted member

For me it's more the dis-stain for Mega Evolutions than the few secs it's there. It makes me not want to go for the Smash Ball which is the exact wrong thing for a Final Smash.
The Mega Evolution aside, I think it's a really great Final Smash--easy to hit opponents with and feels very satisfying to use. :)

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
At least the megaforms for Lucario and Charizard X serve more of a purpose for their final smash. With Mewtwo, you could not have the Mega Y form at all and just Psystrike on its own, and the effect would still be the same as pointed out.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
At least the megaforms for Lucario and Charizard X serve more of a purpose for their final smash. With Mewtwo, you could not have the Mega Y form at all and just Psystrike on its own, and the effect would still be the same as pointed out.
When going by the mainstream Pokemon titles though, Mega Mewtwo Y would hit much harder with its Psystrike than if Mewtwo used Psystrike while in its normal state.

LunarOctopus

Smash Rookie
I think that Mewtwo will come back but as DLC. They already know that people are willing to pay for him and if they main him then there's no question.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Right. Well, this would be my dream final smash, regardless, even without the Shadow form and Mewtwo was just doing the move on its own.

The burst ultimate with vanilla Mewtwo X isn't bad looking either, I must say...

But the former, which I guess I dub Super Shadow Ball, would be best looking for a flashy ultimate as a final smash IMO.

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
I think that Mewtwo will come back but as DLC. They already know that people are willing to pay for him and if they main him then there's no question.
I feel like that would be a slap in the face of fans though I mena we just got him back again and had to pay for him besides not many fighting games I know of at least make you keep having to buy the same charcter again as DLC for each game

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
What do you guys hope to see for Mewtwo in Smash 5? I personally want him to stay really good, and maybe have his attacks look a little more powerful and psychic like (meaning magenta colored attacks rather then the dark energy he uses now). Anyone wanna share their Mewtwo hopes?

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
Would love to see more power and speed he seems a bitr slow but besides that I think he is good would love to have a few changes like fast shadow ball and longer confusion

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I’m still surprised Mewtwo broke its Melee curse with pretty much the same moveset in being viable as it is now, not that I’m complaining, though now it’s Ganondorf who sucks while he was at his best (in terms of viability) in Melee, so they kinda switched places, fortunately for Mewtwo.
:4mewtwo:

Guess they had to make him worth buying somehow, whenever they buffed him.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I still think U Throw could've killed way earlier. B Throw also lost a lot of kill power since Melee. And yes I also want him to be even more powerful, it's a right thing to do considering they'll likely keep him a feather weight character. Which I kinda disagree with honestly, as he should be at least the same weight as in Melee. And his attacks can be far more damaging as well I feel.

D

Deleted member

Kinda unrelated, but Nintendo announced the competitors for the Smash Invitational, and Abadango is one of them.

Hopefully if Mewtwo is in the base roster, and IF he is one of the characters showcased in E3 (admitedtly both kind of unlikely scenarios) then i hope that Abadango picks Mewtwo, since i prefer his Mewtwo over his Pac-Man.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
Kinda unrelated, but Nintendo announced the competitors for the Smash Invitational, and Abadango is one of them.

Hopefully if Mewtwo is in the base roster, and IF he is one of the characters showcased in E3 (admitedtly both kind of unlikely scenarios) then i hope that Abadango picks Mewtwo, since i prefer his Mewtwo over his Pac-Man.
That’s what I’m hoping for. I would hate to have to wait many more months to see what changes they’ve done to Mewtwo.

eltacoenojado

Smash Journeyman
I still think U Throw could've killed way earlier. B Throw also lost a lot of kill power since Melee. And yes I also want him to be even more powerful, it's a right thing to do considering they'll likely keep him a feather weight character. Which I kinda disagree with honestly, as he should be at least the same weight as in Melee. And his attacks can be far more damaging as well I feel.
Agreed. Up throw needs to be fixed. It used to be so devastating.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
It decreased by a fairly negligible extent relative to other Pokemon. He was used competitively for quite awhile with his Y form, not sure what you were watching. Not that it even matters, to be honest, but that is just inaccurate. No, no, no. Charizard was not on the cut list here on Smashboards, Pokemon Trainer was. And even then, most people ignored that he would likely be cut. I was one of the ONLY people to point it out and I had dozens of people argue with me. Anyone that conceded agreed that Charizard would remain.

I never stated that it did not, in the same way that Mewtwo is still going to be low priority, as he always has been.
Absolutely no chance that Mewtwo is low priority, after the crazy reception he got from his announcement, which was just a static model, not even a crazy trailer. He’s not going anywhere ;)

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
mewtwo I feel is moved up in priority but is not still at the bottom I feel he's like little mac/bowser jr ish
I would say he has finally earned his spot as a Smash staple, but we will have to wait and see of course. I'm very confident he'll be back though.

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
I would say he has finally earned his spot as a Smash staple, but we will have to wait and see of course. I'm very confident he'll be back though.
Oh trust me I think he is safe its just nobody besides the original 12 are staples for smash I mean they cut Ice climber (sure for technical reasons with the 3ds) but he is definitly coming back for sure

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I want to see how Mewtwo may change, and if they will finally include his actual shiny color and not just something close. Or maybe the Pokemon Company is strict about shinies being portrayed...

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
I want to see how Mewtwo may change, and if they will finally include his actual shiny color and not just something close. Or maybe the Pokemon Company is strict about shinies being portrayed...
This, this, this. It is beyond me that they refuse to add each Pokémon’s shiny coloration, and instead just give us knock off versions that kinda resemble the shinies but not really. Maybe they are afraid that people will only use those colors or something? Even then that’s still a terrible reason that only upsets the players. I would definitely main an accurate shiny Mewtwo though.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I really, really hope they draw some things from his Pokken incarnation.

Time for my daily repost from the Revamp a Veteran thread.

I don’t really have much to say for Mewtwo. I’m not a Mewtwo main or anything like that, and I got most of this from reading his Smashwiki page, so take these with several grains of salt. I don't know much about him in the games either, so these are purely balance changes.

I nerfed him very slightly, just like I did to Mario, but I think I'm much better at coming up with buffs than nerfs, as I haven't fully decided my formula for nerfs. I decided to just make his flaws a bit more prominent overall for more consistent counterplay. Thankfully, though, Mewtwo is a character who only needs minor changes from what I know about him, so I didn't have to go crazy, just change a few moves.

Also, a bit about my current balance philosophy. Some people suggest either only giving out buffs and no nerfs whatsoever, or just making everyone meet in the middle. I don't fully like either of them on their own; sometimes, you just have to give a few nerfs because some characters just totally invalidate others, and you have to nerf those tools a tiny bit so the others can compete. On the other hand, nerfing the top tiers too much to make everyone meet in the middle sucks all the individuality and fun out of the characters. I definetly don't want a game where everyone plays just like Pit.

So, I try to mix both; I set a very high bar (like high tier) to set characters at, which allows me to nerf as few characters as possible, and spend much more time on buffs, and I go for the minimal amounts of nerfs I can (Mewtwo's in fact the lowest character on the current tier list that I nerfed, and he's still definitely a high tier, just more risky); only characters above Marth and Ryu got nerfed (so, only 10 characters got nerfed, and only very slightly), everyone else got buffed/was not changed

General

• Mewtwo’s second dashing speed buff has been undone (2.05 → 1.9).
  • Slightly slower air speed (1.25 → 1.2)
  • Some of his bad hitboxes that haven’t been patched out have been fixed.

Ground Attacks

• Dash attack has more ending lag (FAF 39 → 42).
  • Forward smash has slightly more startup (Frame 19 → 21).
  • Mewtwo’s up smash is slower (FAF 44 → 50).
  • Down Smash is slower (Frame 21 → 23)

Air Attacks

• Forward aerial has a different launch angle (50 → 84)

Grab/throws

• Standing and dash grabs have noticeably decreased range, making them harder to utilize consistently. This is because his grab game is one of his best traits, and his throws are already balanced enough, so I figure a nerf to his grab range would be the fairest option.
  • Floor attacks now have an electrical effect.

Special moves

• The recoil from releasing a fully charged Shadow Ball in midair is even greater now, making it better for boosting Mewtwo back onstage if he’s facing the right direction, but at the same time places him in even more danger if facing the wrong direction. The projectiles are also tossed a bit slower (Frame 23 → 25). Finally, the hitbox when charging has been re-added.
  • Teleport no longer leaves Mewtwo helpless,and it is easier to travel across the ground with it, but he can still only use it once, and it covers less distance. This furthers Mewtwo’s high-risk, high reward nature; now he’s even better at onstage combos, but he has a harder time making it back onstage without his double jump.

Oh yeah, and include Armored Mewtwo as an alt, just like Project M did.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Oh man, it's great to see the OG legend back in the game.

And, for the first time in Smash history: Mewtwo vs. the whole Pokemon Trainer team!

Smash Ultimate is like a dream!

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
man its great to not worry about if Mewtwo or anyone else is in. He looks to have new confusion design and his movies look to have more of a flare now. Anyways glad to have him back along witn everyone else

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
They did everything I wanted for Mewtwo in Ultimate. His attacks look gorgeous and powerful, and he still looks quick and strong.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
If there's some footage of people playing Mewtwo in the demo (stopped keeping up with E3 after the Direct because I didn't have the time to watch the rest), I gotta check it out.

Judging by his gameplay trailer, at least, he still looks as powerful as ever. And his visuals and aesthetics look amazing. No doubting that.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
If there's some footage of people playing Mewtwo in the demo (stopped keeping up with E3 after the Direct because I didn't have the time to watch the rest), I gotta check it out.

Judging by his gameplay trailer, at least, he still looks as powerful as ever. And his visuals and aesthetics look amazing. No doubting that.
Here's a really good gameplay video of him in a 1v1 setting: https://youtu.be/JJD5Sg846vM

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Here's a really good gameplay video of him in a 1v1 setting: https://youtu.be/JJD5Sg846vM
Thank you! That was a solid match and some great footage.

Definitely looks like he's been buffed and a bit reworked so far. Among other thing it looks like a good amount of his attacks probably have larger hitboxes, N-Air being the most obvious. I think his U-Air may have also been buffed slightly. I'm not sure.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
Thanks for the link...

... but oh my god that hurt to watch. Nothing but dash attack and missing shadow balls by half a mile. Whatever happened to shofu lol he used to be good.
Here, check this one out! Mew2king himself is playing him. You can also see the new dash into d-tilt around 0:50. Here it is: https://youtu.be/sIVuR02HL6A

Top Bottom