• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Striking Back! (Mewtwo Social)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am pretty certain Mewtwo will return, especially with so many patch buffs on his name in Smash 4. He pretty much feels perfect right now, might just need a extra bit of grab range tho. And I wouldn't mind more weight. Cause I always thought it was weird Mewtwo weights less than even Pikachu in Smash 4.

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
Yeah there are a few things I would change like more weight and fix up confusion a bit but I think if they were to port him over exactly I would be ok with that too

AuraWielder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AuraWielder
3DS FC
2363-6821-1127
Yeah, I'd love it if Mewtwo were a psychic-using counterpart to Captain Falcon: heavy, fast, and powerful.

Also, if Mewtwo were the heavy magic user of the roster, there would be no more reason to give Ganondorf more magic moves.
Ehh... polite disagreement. I think he works best as he is as a light and speedy glass cannon.

eltacoenojado

Smash Journeyman
I just need him and Wolf back and I'll be set! I do hope they make his up throw more powerful though.

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Mewtwo's cut from Brawl was the biggest stand out to me. I figured the backlash was big enough he'd return in 4, but he had to wait till DLC in the end. I'm not sure what they'll do with him, but I'm thinking he was saved as the big return reveal DLC cause they do intend to keep him with his popularity.

Personally I think the priority should be :4pikachu: > :4mewtwo: > :4greninja: > :4lucario::4charizard::4jigglypuff:

Pikachu us the mascot, Mewtwo is the first "evil" pokemon final boss, Greninja was the modern success that even got a new form inspired by his role in the anime, and the other three are a mixed group. Lucario is a fading middle of the Gens successful and popular pokemon that stood out enough to hang around into other Generations, Charizard was hugely popular back in the day but was added past his peak of fame, and Jigglypuff has her 4x vet status but aged the most of all to be less popular and less relevant.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Mewtwo's cut from Brawl was the biggest stand out to me. I figured the backlash was big enough he'd return in 4, but he had to wait till DLC in the end. I'm not sure what they'll do with him, but I'm thinking he was saved as the big return reveal DLC cause they do intend to keep him with his popularity.

Personally I think the priority should be :4pikachu: > :4mewtwo: > :4greninja: > :4lucario::4charizard::4jigglypuff:

Pikachu us the mascot, Mewtwo is the first "evil" pokemon final boss, Greninja was the modern success that even got a new form inspired by his role in the anime, and the other three are a mixed group. Lucario is a fading middle of the Gens successful and popular pokemon that stood out enough to hang around into other Generations, Charizard was hugely popular back in the day but was added past his peak of fame, and Jigglypuff has her 4x vet status but aged the most of all to be less popular and less relevant.
Past his peak? Sure, if we just ignore that he was heavily featured in Gen 6 having two Mega Evolution, same as Mewtwo, and was actually a starter Pokemon in the game, same as Greninja. It is not as though Charizard's popularity just petered off over time, otherwise, the same would apply to Mewtwo. He basically carried Trainer, Squirtle and Ivysaur in Brawl and that was definitely his lowest point. You are crazy, fam. Charizard is not going anywhere. I doubt Puff is either; however, that has more to do with how easy she is to develop for. Mewtwo, on the other hand, it is a coin toss. Will they make us pay for him again... Yes or no. Given that he was cut three times, pretty safe to argue that he might not be a part of the base roster.

D

Deleted member

Interesting to see such varied opinions on the popularity of Pokemon. Mewtwo's cut seemed to indicate that he, along with Pichu, was a "flavor of the week" Pokemon and that's kind of how I see Greninja and Lucario, but Lucario has stuck around for two entries and Mewtwo was brought back because surprise! He's still actually very popular.

Charizard is also very popular as was pointed out; it and Mewtwo were the only Pokemon to receive two Mega Evolutions, which is pretty noteworthy by itself. They may just end up not cutting any of the Pokemon, and simply add one more, like Decidueye as everyone thinks.

Given that there are now--what--over 800 Pokemon? And given that Pokemon is huuugely popular and successful and has lots of fans, it would not be the end of the world if the Smash roster had a lot of Pokemon reps. Just more to love.

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Past his peak? Sure, if we just ignore that he was heavily featured in Gen 6 having two Mega Evolution, same as Mewtwo, and was actually a starter Pokemon in the game, same as Greninja. It is not as though Charizard's popularity just petered off over time, otherwise, the same would apply to Mewtwo. He basically carried Trainer, Squirtle and Ivysaur in Brawl and that was definitely his lowest point. You are crazy, fam. Charizard is not going anywhere. I doubt Puff is either; however, that has more to do with how easy she is to develop for. Mewtwo, on the other hand, it is a coin toss. Will they make us pay for him again... Yes or no. Given that he was cut three times, pretty safe to argue that he might not be a part of the base roster.
Mewtwo also had movies centered around him, which Charizard did not. I feel Charizard making it into Smash 4 was more as a consolation prize for the Trainer being cut than anything else. Squirtle was another light weight and Ivysaur was the least popular of the three and the awkward middle stage most people don't care about. Charizard's popularity has decreased over time as it's natural given his age. It's still good, but it is lower and the two Mega Evolutions didn't save him in the Pokemon Competitive scene either. In Smash, he doesn't seem extremely popular with many people having him on their "cut list" for 4 before it came out cause many hated how PT worked.

Jigglypuff getting in cause she is one of the original cloned characters does help her, but it doesn't remove her low priority status. If they are mostly making this off of 4, then her ease of creation is less important than prior games as Mewtwo, Greninja, Lucario, and Charizard would also be copy pasted from 4 for the most part anyways.

I still am hoping we see no Pokemon cuts overall, since there's strong cases for all of our current roster to remain.

I feel that if any pokemon gets cut it will be :4greninja:
Those are fighting words. :o

Greninja was very successful and popular in terms of newer Generations. They even had the whole Ash Greninja thing go on and that carried into Sun and Moon. I love the frog ninja myself, so it'll hurt to lose my favorite character in Smash yet again.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Mewtwo also had movies centered around him, which Charizard did not. I feel Charizard making it into Smash 4 was more as a consolation prize for the Trainer being cut than anything else. Squirtle was another light weight and Ivysaur was the least popular of the three and the awkward middle stage most people don't care about. Charizard's popularity has decreased over time as it's natural given his age. It's still good, but it is lower and the two Mega Evolutions didn't save him in the Pokemon Competitive scene either. In Smash, he doesn't seem extremely popular with many people having him on their "cut list" for 4 before it came out cause many hated how PT worked.

Jigglypuff getting in cause she is one of the original cloned characters does help her, but it doesn't remove her low priority status. If they are mostly making this off of 4, then her ease of creation is less important than prior games as Mewtwo, Greninja, Lucario, and Charizard would also be copy pasted from 4 for the most part anyways.

I still am hoping we see no Pokemon cuts overall, since there's strong cases for all of our current roster to remain.

Those are fighting words. :o

Greninja was very successful and popular in terms of newer Generations. They even had the whole Ash Greninja thing go on and that carried into Sun and Moon. I love the frog ninja myself, so it'll hurt to lose my favorite character in Smash yet again.
It decreased by a fairly negligible extent relative to other Pokemon. He was used competitively for quite awhile with his Y form, not sure what you were watching. Not that it even matters, to be honest, but that is just inaccurate. No, no, no. Charizard was not on the cut list here on Smashboards, Pokemon Trainer was. And even then, most people ignored that he would likely be cut. I was one of the ONLY people to point it out and I had dozens of people argue with me. Anyone that conceded agreed that Charizard would remain.

I never stated that it did not, in the same way that Mewtwo is still going to be low priority, as he always has been.

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
It decreased by a fairly negligible extent relative to other Pokemon. He was used competitively for quite awhile with his Y form, not sure what you were watching. Not that it even matters, to be honest, but that is just inaccurate. No, no, no. Charizard was not on the cut list here on Smashboards, Pokemon Trainer was. And even then, most people ignored that he would likely be cut. I was one of the ONLY people to point it out and I had dozens of people argue with me. Anyone that conceded agreed that Charizard would remain.

I never stated that it did not, in the same way that Mewtwo is still going to be low priority, as he always has been.
That is true, but that same logic also applies to any newer Pokemon along the way. All 3rd Generaton Pokemon have loss popularity, but there are still some that were notable success stories like Blaziken and the Treecko line. Charizard was a successful Pokemon as well, but there is doubts on needing 4 Pokemon from the same Generation. We don't get more characters from Marth's or Ness's game for example, instead we get Lucas, Ike, or Robin. Or even we got Alph over Louie for Pikmin in terms of a alternate costume. Charizard entered Smash later and felt more shoe horned into the mix cause of the Pokemon Trainer gimmick that Sakurai had planned. PT wasn't that well liked due to the theorized effort that had to go into three playable characters wrapped into one with a frustrating exhaustion gimmick. People were speculating something from Gen 4 (Lucario) or the Gen 2 remakes. Though I think many were hoping for Blaziken even though it was starting to age. I don't think anyone really thought Mewtwo would be cut and Charizard wasn't brought up often.

Pokemon is really in a mess in terms of priority. If something comes up like time restraints or "too many reps," we may wind up losing anyone that isn't Pikachu. Fan demand brought Mewtwo back, he isn't out of the running himself cause he missed the Brawl and 4 (Base) train. Now that he is a returned vet, he may very well be on equal footing or better to Charizard, Lucario, and Greninja.

And I recall Brawl to 4 days where many fans predicted and thought Lucario would be cut. He'd obviously be low priority and cut for a new Pokemon. Instead we only loss the Pokemon Trainer package and gained one of his three as a standalone. I really don't understand why people think someone HAS TO BE cut in Pokemon. Pichu was a joke clone and Pokemon Trainer was a ill received, heavy workload gimmick. The only true shocking cut we got was Mewtwo and that seemed to be a case of them running out of time as Jigglypuff, Wolf, and Toon Link almost missed the train as well. All three of those were also easy additions compared to reworking Mewtwo for Brawl. Sonic was also a late addition, but he was obviously a major hype producer. For going into Smash 4, Mewtwo was already cut and likely wasn't seen as urgent as Brawl veterans cause that'd be brand new upset fans cause their favorite got cut. But he was the first addition into the DLC and was very well received. I wouldn't be shocked if he outsold anyone else. According to popularity graphs and charts that another user discussed with me, it also appears he is the second most played Pokemon Rep with Jigglypuff and Greninja following behind him by a decent margin.

I think things are looking best for Mewtwo when laid out, But I really could see everyone making it back or the cut (if made) being a toss up between everyone that's not Pikachu.

I still stand by saying that I feel the priority should be like :4pikachu: > :4mewtwo: > :4greninja: > :4charizard::4lucario::4jigglypuff:

Though to be honest, the one who would deserve cut the most would likely fall on Jigglypuff. Charizard was more iconic for Gen 1 and it'd suck to lose the only Mid Generation rep.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I also don't get why a Pokemon rep needs to be cut this time. In my eyes, the only one who's in remote danger of not making it through to Smash 5 is Greninja, and only because he doesn't have veteran insurance like the others (if precedent holds up, multi-time vets are safe bar technical issues, as I mentioned earlier in this thread). Even then, I'm still confident Greninja will return in Smash 5, both due to his relative popularity and Ash-Greninja buffing his relevance enough to still be viable for Smash IMO.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I also don't get why a Pokemon rep needs to be cut this time. In my eyes, the only one who's in remote danger of not making it through to Smash 5 is Greninja, and only because he doesn't have veteran insurance like the others (if precedent holds up, multi-time vets are safe bar technical issues, as I mentioned earlier in this thread). Even then, I'm still confident Greninja will return in Smash 5, both due to his relative popularity and Ash-Greninja buffing his relevance enough to still be viable for Smash IMO.
It is based on a priority list, hypothetically, tons of characters are cut each and every time that we never hear about and obviously some of them are high profile such as Mewtwo and Wolf. So, to that end, in determining whether or not a Pokemon should be cut, I suppose we should look at it from the perspective of, "would this character be low priority." To that end, I actually believe Greninja might be more safe than I initially figured.

D

Deleted member

If Greninja is so popular, why wasn't he included in Pokken Tournament? Just sayin'.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If Greninja is so popular, why wasn't he included in Pokken Tournament? Just sayin'.
It's pretty much a question that only the developers have an answer for. Anyway, Mewtwo is currently the only playable legendary in the Smash Bros. series, so it would feel rather odd if it got kicked out again.

lltacx

Smash Journeyman
I'm so scared he'll not get added again xD On the other hand, i think this is just an port updated with new characters so all the veterans will be in it..

D

Deleted member

It's pretty much a question that only the developers have an answer for.
That could literally be the answer for any question ever asked about game design decisions ever, so I'm going to say that's a little bit of a cop-out.

To answer my own question though: I think it either means they didn't perceive Greninja as popular enough to warrant a spot on the roster, or they didn't want to use too many Pokemon that are already playable in Super Smash Bros., but that still means they picked other Pokemon from Smash over Greninja anyway (Pikachu, Charizard, Lucario, Mewtwo), implying still that Greninja just isn't as popular as the others.

Conclusion: Greninja is more popular than Jigglypuff but less popular than the other Pokemon in Smash--however Jigglypuff has an edge of being one of the original 12 which means of all Pokemon, I'd say Greninja is at highest risk of being cut. Not saying it will be cut, just that the other Pokemon have more going for them.

D

Deleted member

I feel that if any pokemon gets cut it will be :4greninja:
I know this is the Mewtwo thread and and I like Mewtwo and all, but if that happens I think I'd actually cry like a baby and I don't think I'll react similarly if it happens with Mewtwo.

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
I know this is the Mewtwo thread and and I like Mewtwo and all, but if that happens I think I'd actually cry like a baby and I don't think I'll react similarly if it happens with Mewtwo.
I would hate to see him go to I love to play as :4greninja: aswell but if a pokemon got cut to me at least :4greninja: would make the most sense

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
jigglypuff is almost a guarntee to be safe the original 12 have always been in smash in my opion from safe to danger for pokemon it would :4pikachu::4jigglypuff::4charizard::4mewtwo::4lucario::4greninja::pt::squirtle::ivysaur::pichumelee:
I would agree, except I would switch Charizard and Mewtwo; now that they brought him back as DLC and his popularity has skyrocketed, I'd say Mewtwo's almost as high priority as the original 12 at this point.

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Always the chance that they saw bigger move-set or unique traits in Aegislash and Braixen for the game. Sceptile already claimed the ninja motif.

Also he won the Official Japan popularity contest in 2016 when most people are saying the roster was made and finalized. Not sure how people just ignore that when discussing him. Just sayin'.

I still feel people are wrong thinking Mewtwo and Greninja are the obvious cuts. Both are unique with popularity that rivals other big name Pokemon. Meanwhile, Jigglypuff's only claim on the roster is being easy to make and being old. Any argument against Greninja could apply to Lucario except Lucario is less popular in Smash/Pokemon and less relevant. And as far as I'm aware, there isn't that many Smash fans of Charizard as well, meanwhile Mewtwo was a huge fan demand DLC clamoring for his return... compared to many people hoping PT wasn't returning.

PF9

Smash Lord
If we see a Mewtwo return, there should be an event where Mewtwo goes up against Ganondorf as symbolism for Mewtwo getting revenge on Giovanni (who is represented by Ganondorf). Mewtwo is aided by two Pikachu (meant to symbolize Ash's Pikachu and Pikachutwo) and two Charizard (meant to symbolize Ash's Charizard and Charizardtwo). All the Pokemon have one stock each, Ganondorf has a whopping five.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
If we see a Mewtwo return, there should be an event where Mewtwo goes up against Ganondorf as symbolism for Mewtwo getting revenge on Giovanni (who is represented by Ganondorf). Mewtwo is aided by two Pikachu (meant to symbolize Ash's Pikachu and Pikachutwo) and two Charizard (meant to symbolize Ash's Charizard and Charizardtwo). All the Pokemon have one stock each, Ganondorf has a whopping five.
before they introduced Ash-Greninja i would have been skeptical of a game giving such a big nod to the anime, but here we are. i guess i'd be fine with it, it's a bit of a departure from how things went down in that movie but as i've said a million times before, Smash has taken bigger liberties

NNID
Megamanxtreme247
3DS FC
0233-0693-2297
Switch FC
1389-8562-4404
He'd better!! Having him cut from the roster in brawl in favor of lucario because of time constraints was mighty depressing. And seeing him return on smash 4 as the first of many DLC fighters among the roster was the ultimate hype. He's too iconic of a chracter and pokemon to not make a second comeback in smash 5 on switch, he should be in the base game. As a playable from the get go character or unlockable. I don't care if I have to play 20 whole hours of versus or even 700 matches to get him again, as long as he's officially back and here to stay.

Last edited:

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
While this might be an unpopular opinion but I'd prefer if Mewtwo's Final Smash wasn't any Mega Evolution at all. In fact, I'd rather no Pokemon got a Mega Evolution what so ever.

I'm not sure what his Final Smash should be; just not any Mega Evolution please!

D

Deleted member

While this might be an unpopular opinion but I'd prefer if Mewtwo's Final Smash wasn't any Mega Evolution at all. In fact, I'd rather no Pokemon got a Mega Evolution what so ever.

I'm not sure what his Final Smash should be; just not any Mega Evolution please!
It's purely aesthetic, I don't see whats the big deal.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I hate the Mega Evolutions in Pokemon. Period.

Most importantly I hate both the designs and the "reversible evolution" mechanic.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Shadow Mewtwo from Pokken Tournament would be a no-brainer for a final smash now, but am sure they’ll stick with the Mega Y form whose design never really caught on for me. Oh well.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I’m all ears as to what the final smash should be in your opinion/open to thinking outside the box on the subject, but since you said you didn’t have an idea, sounds like you’re hatin’ just to hate.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It could just be Psystrike without the Mega Evolution Then again, I don't see why they would do that.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
ZG buddy i feel your pain, mewtwo's my #1 favorite pokemon of all time and its mega designs are both super uggo, but you only see it for like seven seconds in the final smash. hardly something to get so worked up over imo

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
For me it's more the dis-stain for Mega Evolutions than the few secs it's there. It makes me not want to go for the Smash Ball which is the exact wrong thing for a Final Smash.

Top Bottom