• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Streets of Smash - Axel Stone Support Thread (Streets of Rage 4 out now!)

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
I'm all for a SoR rep (though I'd personally prefer Blaze or Cherry), so count me in. The music alone is worth it and the series has some great potential for Mii costumes too (Mr. X Gunner anyone?)

If they incorporated the mechanic where special moves are tied to your health, which version do you think would work best in Smash?

- SoR2: Using specials always costs life
- SoR3: Using specials costs life only when the special meter isn't full
- SoR4: Using specials costs life, but you can earn it back by hitting enemies without getting hit yourself

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I see that Streets Of Rage 4 is on sale in the eShop as part of the indie sale. I like River City Ransom, Final Fight, and (from what little I've played of it) River City Girls, but I could only beat Final Fight by abusing save states (in the Wii U version) or the unlimited continues in the Capcom Beat Em Up Bundle. I've played a bit of the other Streets of Rage games through the Sega Genesis collection on Steam, though I haven't gotten very far into them.

Would this be worth getting? I realize that posting in the thread for a Streets of Rage character isn't going to get me a neutral opinion (unless the game is secretly awful, though going by the reception, that doesn't seem to be the case), so it might help to explain why and/or what sets it apart from the games that I mentioned.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I see that Streets Of Rage 4 is on sale in the eShop as part of the indie sale. I like River City Ransom, Final Fight, and (from what little I've played of it) River City Girls, but I could only beat Final Fight by abusing save states (in the Wii U version) or the unlimited continues in the Capcom Beat Em Up Bundle. I've played a bit of the other Streets of Rage games through the Sega Genesis collection on Steam, though I haven't gotten very far into them.

Would this be worth getting? I realize that posting in the thread for a Streets of Rage character isn't going to get me a neutral opinion (unless the game is secretly awful, though going by the reception, that doesn't seem to be the case), so it might help to explain why and/or what sets it apart from the games that I mentioned.
By default the game doesn't use an arcade style progression, you are instead given a set number of lives per stage depending on difficulty.

Mechanically there is a greater emphasis on juggling enemies in combos (though most modern beat-em-ups do), and puts a twist on the life bar management for specials with recoverable health, couple that with a score combo system encouraging you to keep up a constant stream of damage while avoiding any stray hits and it becomes a game of managing risk and reward. It is in your best interest to learn how to use aggressive and air specials to extend combos, something you usually tried to avoid doing in older games where the life hit was permanent.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Double Dragon Neon I would also throw out an honorary mention to. Plus its main antagonist cameos as a shopkeeper in River City Girls (both being done by Wayforward and all).

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Finally some details on the SoR4 DLC happening soon it seems.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Anyone want Olivier Deriviere to compose a remix for Axel’s hypothetical music selection?
Well, if there's someone who would remix "Go Straight" itself if Axel or someone else from Streets of Rage gets in Smash, it has to be the legend himself, Yuzo Koshiro. 👌 😉

Last edited:

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Anyone want Olivier Deriviere to compose a remix for Axel’s hypothetical music selection?
Well, if there's someone who would remix "Go Straight" itself if Axel or someone else from Streets of Rage gets in Smash, it has to be the legend himself, Yuzo Koshiro. 👌 😉
A Streets of Rage Smash remix from Motohiro Kawashima would be nice too.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
So the DLC for this came out yesterday. Didn’t see the new achievements at first but they’re there, and the new characters (Estel and SoR4 Max & Shiva) and survival mode is pretty good. Update also gave a new training tutorial mode which is good for learning combos, as well as color alts for the main characters now. Estel’s gameplay is brutal and fire, Max racks up damage pretty quick especially with the power slide, and of course Shiva and those air combos.

After you get the DLC, you can also unlock Roo the kangaroo (SoR 3 version) as a hidden character by highlighting Story on the main menu, and press up, X, and Start at the same time, and beat any level as him to have him unlocked permanently.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
My brother got me Streets of Rage 4 for my birthday, and he and I played a bit of the game in co-op. It seems pretty fun so far; not sure how long it will take to unlock the retro characters (aside from Roo, who we already unlocked), but it's a solid beat-em-up with a variety of difficulty options, so I think I'll have fun with it.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
The survival mode grind is worth it for unlocking everyone’s alternate moves, most of which are better than their original blitz move or specials.

Top Bottom