• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Streets of Smash - Axel Stone Support Thread (Streets of Rage 4 out now!)

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

First Appearance: Streets of Rage (1991)
Latest Appearance: Streets of Rage 4 (2020)
Streets of Rage is a side scrolling beat ‘em up series created by Sega for the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive. This series allows for one or two players to beat up gang members as well as an assortment of other types of enemies as they progress through city streets and other environments. Each game features special moves available to use, items that can be picked off of the ground, and a catchy soundtrack.

Axel Stone is one of the main protagonists of the series as well as one of two characters (the other being Blaze Fielding) to be playable in every entry. In the first Streets of Rage, Axel quits his job as a cop along with fellow officers Adam Hunter and Blaze Fielding due to the increasing corruption within their city’s police department. The three former law enforcers decide to take the city’s crime issues into their own bare knuckles by taking down the Syndicate and their leader Mr. X. In Streets of Rage 2, Mr. X returns and kidnaps Adam to lure in Axel and Blaze as payback from last time. Axel and Blaze once again defeat him along with help from Adam’s little brother Eddie “Skate” Hunter and professional wrestler Max “Thunder” Hatchett. Streets of Rage 3 has Mr. X plotting to take over the city through the use of robotic clones meant to impersonate public officials; the Japanese version of the game features a much darker story in the form of Mr. X detonating a new weapon known as Rakushin which kills thousands of people. Along with help from former Syndicate cyborg Zan, the group of heroes defeat Mr. X once and for all by destroying his genetically enhanced brain.

After much fan demand and a whopping 26 years, the Streets of Rage series will finally be getting its 4th entry sometime in 2020. The confirmed playable characters as of now include the original cast from the first Streets of Rage game as well as a few newcomers such as Adam’s daughter Cherry. Axel is also sporting a new look consisting of a beard and a much bulkier body.

Why Should Axel be in Smash?

Streets of Rage is one of the definitive 2D beat ‘em up game series - a genre that was yet to be truly represented in Smash Bros through a character. Streets of Rage 2 in particular is widely regarded as the best game of its genre. If you were to ask someone “what is your favorite 2D beat ‘em up game?” chances are they will say Streets of Rage 2.

Axel himself would be a very unique fighter thanks to his flashy melee moves and the ability to use weapons such as lead pipes in combat. He just screams early 90’s fighting hero so to those who like Terry but don’t like his manual inputs or automatic turn around feature, Axel may be the character for you.

Moveset

Moveset by Sari Sari

In the Streets of Rage games, you can perform powerful special moves which take away a small amount of your health. Streets of Rage 3 however allows you to use special moves without losing health as long as your power meter is full. Once you use a special move, the power meter will automatically recharge which takes about 5 seconds. Of course you can still use special moves in between the charging time, however you will take recoil damage like in the previous two games.

For Axel’s moveset in Smash, he would take a small amount of damage while performing all of his special moves with the exception of up B. If you wait about 5 seconds in between special moves for your meter to automatically fill up, you’ll be granted one special attack that does not hurt you. Keep in mind that the meter will automatically be full at the start of a stock. To compensate for the health drainage when using specials without a full meter, Axel’s specials would be very strong in general. Repeatedly spamming special moves in a short amount of time however will significantly increase the amount of damage you take.

Furthermore, Axel would have some incredibly strong throws (almost as strong as Incineroar’s) since grabbing enemies is a big part of Streets of Rage. Expect fast pummels from Axel and throws that can kill at around 100%. His downside would be relatively weak recovery options.

Specials

Neutral B: Dragon Smash

Axel unleashes a barrage of punches similar to Mii Brawler’s Flashing Mach Punch neutral B. If an opponent gets caught in your punches, Axel will keep punching more and end the move with a strong uppercut.

Side B: Grand Upper

Pretty much Captain Falcon’s side B except it’s much faster and hits through multiple enemies. Its horizontal range isn’t as great as Falcon’s side B, though it sends the opponent at a far diagonal angle.

Up B: Uppercut

This is Axel’s finishing move to his blitz attack (neutral B) in his original games. It’d pretty much be Ryu’s up B except it has greater horizontal travel distance in exchange slightly less height for recovery distance.

Down B: Dragon Wing

Axel swings his arm in a fast circular motion. Mainly used as a defensive option to get enemies away from you, though deals a good amount of damage. Has a bit of endlag though.

Final Smash: Police Backup

A police car drives up and fires a bazooka at enemies straight out of the special ability in the first Streets of Rage game. Prior to the shot, you could also have Axel and other characters from the series beating up the opponent(s) if the goal is to have the final smash be more cinematic.

Moveset by Perkilator Perkilator

Intro: Axel walks in from the background (from the side in his home stage)

Stance/Idle 1: His idle animation from Streets of Rage 2.

Idle 2: Axel wipes his face with his right hand.

Idle 3: The “GO!” arrow appears over Axel’s HUD.

Notable Palette Swaps:
-Default (White)
-Blaze Fielding (Red)
-Adam Hunter (Yellow)
-Max “Thunder” Hatchett (Brown)
-Eddie “Skate” Hunter (Yellow)
-Dr. Gilbert Zan (Blue)
-SoR3 Shiva (Dark Blue)
-Mr. X (Green)

Walk: Axel slowly side-steps forwards.

Jog: His walk from the games.

Dash: His dash from the games.

Damage: His damage animation from the games.

Jump: His jump from the games.

Crouch: Axel puts one hand on the ground, as if he were trying to get an item (the item pickup animation is exactly how it is from the games when Axel DOES get an item).

Weapon of Choice: Axel’s combat style is entirely hand-to-hand.

Jab: Axel punches twice with his left hand (5%, small knockback) and then a third time with his right hand (6%, small knockback)
Forward+A: Axel kicks outward with his left leg (8%, OK knockback)
Down+A: Axel kicks along the floor with his right leg, which can trip the target (7%, small knockback)
Up+A: Axel performs an uppercut with his right hand (12%, OK knockback)

Air+A: Axel performs a backflip kick with his right leg (11%, OK knockback); taken from one of Skate’s normal attacks.
Air Forward+A: Axel kicks outwards with his left leg (10%, OK knockback)
Air Back + A: Axel kicks backwards with his both legs (14%, OK knockback); taken from one of Skate’s aerials.
Air Up+A: Axel kicks upwards with his right leg (12%, OK knockback)
Air Down+A: Axel knees the target with both knees (13% with a meteor effect, OK knockback)

Dash Attack: Thunder Tackle; Axel charges forward and attacks with his elbow (15%, OK knockback); taken from one of Max’s specials.
Edge Attack: Axel sweeps with his left leg as he gets back up (11%, OK knockback)
Get-Up Attack: Axel jumps up and kicks out with both legs (10%, OK knockback); loosely taken from one of Skate’s aerials.

Smash Moves
Forward+A: Knuckle Bomb; Axel swings both his fists forward (23%, medium knockback); taken from one of Max’s specials.
Up+A: Embukyaku; Axel kicks upwards with his left leg (22%, medium knockback); taken from one of Blaze’s specials.
Down+A: Double Spin Kick; Axel sweeps across the ground with both legs (19%, medium knockback); taken from one of Skate’s specials.

Grab: His grab from the games.
Pummel: Axel knees the target (2%)
Forwards+Throw: Axel headbutts the target (14%, OK knockback)
Down+Throw: Axel Toss; Axel vaults over the target and throws them down on the ground, burying them (15%)
Back+Throw: Axel drops his back onto the ground and throws the target backwards (13%, OK knockback)
Up+Throw: Axel briefly jumps up, and then kicks upwards while holding the target (16%, OK knockback); taken from one of Skate’s throws.

Special Moves

B : Dragon Smash; by holding B, Axel charges up a flurry of punches that he unleashes after, finishing with an uppercut (22%, medium knockback; 2.1% recoil)
B + Forwards : Grand Upper; Axel dashes forward and uppercuts the target with great vertical height (17%, medium knockback; 1.2% recoil); it’s basically Captain Falcon’s Raptor Boost, but with less distance.
B + Up : Grand Hook; Axel performs a 360 Dragon Wing with emphasis on horizontal movement (11%, OK knockback), and finishes with an uppercut with emphasis on vertical movement (18%, medium knockback; 1.7% recoil)
B + Down : Dragon Wing; Axel punches in a 360 turn (9%, small knockback), and then punches straight forward (19%, medium knockback; 1.6% recoil)

Final Smash: Police Backup; Axel punches up to three targets at once (9%), and then said targets are dragged into a cutscene where Axel radios in for backup. A police car arrives and the cops fire their bazookas at the targets, who are trapped in a ring of flames followed by an explosion (53%, devastating knockback).

Gimmick: Axel’s damage slowly rises whenever he uses a special move; however, there’s a meter you’re granted at the start of each stock that grants you one special move without damage. This meter has a 5-second cool down between special moves.

Taunts
1: “Go straight!” Axel mimics his pose from SoR2’s US box art.
2: Axel mimics his pose from Bare Knuckle 2’s box art.
1+2: Axel mimics his pose from SoR3’s box art.

Winposes
1: Axel loosely mimics his pose from Bare Knuckle’s box art.
2: Axel looks towards the distance, and waves towards an incoming helicopter
3: Axel jumps in kicking, loosely based on SoR1’s US box art.

Icon: The “R” in the first game’s logo.

Boxing Ring Title: Bare-Knuckled Ex-Cop

Victory Music: https://youtu.be/VyUmHYtG3xc

Kirby Hat: Axel’s hair and bandana

Costumes

Pictured below are how I imagine Axel’s colors would look in Smash:

1. Axel’s default appearance in the first two Streets of Rage games as well as in Bare Knuckle 3 (Japanese version of Streets of Rage 3).
  2. Based on Blaze Fielding, one of the main characters who is playable in every game.
  3. Based on Adam Hunter, one of the original three characters playable in the first Streets of Ragegame.
    • This costume also bears similarity to Axel’s Streets of Rage 2 alt as well as Axel’s default appearance in the Western versions of Streets of Rage 3.
  4. Based on Max “Thunder” Hatchett, a friend of Axel who is playable in Streets of Rage 2.
  5. Based on Eddie “Skate” Hunter, Adam’s little brother who is playable in Streets of Rage 2 and 3.
  6. Based on Dr. Gilbert Zan, a former member of the Syndicate who is one of the four playable characters in Streets of Rage 3.
  7. Based on Shiva, a recurring boss character in the series.
  8. Based on Axel’s redesign in Streets of Rage 4.
I did consider a Mr. X palette swap, but in the end it just looked like a less colorful version of Shiva’s alt.

Spirits

Pictured below is a general idea of what the spirits that coincide with Axel would look like. In parentheses are the names of the Smash characters who would represent them in battle.

Stage: Wood Oak City Slums

A side-scrolling stage based on the first level of Streets of Rage 2. Enemies could show up to interfere with battle similar to the Flying Men on the Magicant stage. It could also incorporate different levels from Streets of Rage into the stage, such as the amusement park in the third level of Streets of Rage 2.

Victory Theme

What else could it be but the recognizable stage clear theme that plays in every game?

Music
Some Streets of Rage tunes to expect if Axel ever makes it into Smash:

Supporters

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

Would you like to see Axel make it into Smash some day? Leave a comment below and I'll add you to the support list!

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Add me as a supporter. I played a lot of Streets of Rage when I was a kid.
I'm honestly surprised that the series doesn't have some kind of representation in Smash. I'm not even that old but I guess that nowadays not a lot of people recognizes the franchise, but I always found Streets of Rage to be really prominent during the 90s.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Cool support thread. I’ve been a lurker for the longest time and only created an account recently with the main draw being the support threads. It’s surprising this one hasn’t already existed. I support.

I haven’t really had much experience with the series as I remember playing the original a while ago but it didn’t really click. Overall this is a pretty cool concept and I’d like to support

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Add me to the support!

I’m curious if Adam could act as a color option for Axel since he really didn’t have his own move set as he wasn’t playable in 2

Blaze could easily be an echo fighter with like a different Special but the likelihood of that is slim to none hahah

Flyboy

Smash Hero
As I mentioned in the front page comments, Streets of Rage 2 is one of my favorite games of all time. I don't expect to see SOR in Smash but I'd love to be proven wrong.

It's hard to pick between Axel and Blaze, though I lean Blaze. I'm still obviously going to support Axel too, though. Fun fact, KatKit actually made an amazing Blaze moveset in the Newcomer thread a few weeks ago. I'd recommend getting that as a little something extra.

I'm surprised we haven't had a beat-em-up rep in Smash yet. Between Billy/Jimmy, Kunio, Axel/Blaze, and Haggar there are a lot of great options.

NOSTARSICK

Smash Apprentice
Id love to see any sort of Streets of Rage rep in the game! Me and my sister played this so much growing up

SNEKeater

Smash Master
As I mentioned in the front page comments, Streets of Rage 2 is one of my favorite games of all time. I don't expect to see SOR in Smash but I'd love to be proven wrong.

It's hard to pick between Axel and Blaze, though I lean Blaze. I'm still obviously going to support Axel too, though. Fun fact, KatKit actually made an amazing Blaze moveset in the Newcomer thread a few weeks ago. I'd recommend getting that as a little something extra.

I'm surprised we haven't had a beat-em-up rep in Smash yet. Between Billy/Jimmy, Kunio, Axel/Blaze, and Haggar there are a lot of great options.
I really don't know if Streets of Rage was popular in Japan but I could totally see a spirit event for Streets of Rage. That would be nice, better of course than nothing.
I wouldn't bet on it but if Terry managed to surprise everyone, I don't think it's virtually impossible for Axel. I think they're in a similar situation.

If Axel did get in, I could see the salt of “bandanna ken” lol
Yeah. Me too.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I'm just shocked this guy really didn't have a page at this point tbh. I don't really see him happening, especially coming from Sega who has quite a bit of fan favorites to cover, but I do support him, in the sense that he would make a good addition but less me actively supporting his inclusion.

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
I support, if not just for the awesome music he'd bring. I'm almost sure they'd most likely pick other SEGA characters before him, but he'd be great to see at some point regardless.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Is it wrong I would like Blaze?
Not at all, in fact when I did my article on Axel I mentioned that I had a tough time deciding between Axel and Blaze to rep SoR.

KatKit did a really great analyses of Blaze here.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I've been a low-key supporter of this guy for some time, so SoR4 happening is the best thing in the long run.

Speaking of that, I never actually thought that the mystery final character would be a new guy that plays like Max and Dr. Zan.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
About the Final Smash, 4 gives the fighters, including Axel a super move limited by stars you collect. Maybe the Final Smash should start with the police backup before the (team) beatdown?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
If it wasn’t somehow clear on the news thread.
I support Axel, Blaze, Adam, and/or any SoR character!

SoR4 was announced like 2 years ago, wasn’t it? There could be hope!

SOR is by far one of my most nostalgic (and loved) beat em ups. To me the trilogy is only comparable to the original TMNT games.
Miles ahead of Double Dragon, Kunio-Kun, and Final Fight, despite me loving them all.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

With such a difference in tone, it wouldn't surprise me to see two or even three versions of Go Straight in Smash.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I've been hearing some complaints about 4's sound direction, namely the hits and how they seem to have no weight. I think it's just a consequence of faster gameplay, to not be too distracting. You can pull off juggles and recoverable health from specials encourages somewhat more aggressive use. Fight N' Rage was similar, especially for Ricardo whose hits sounded a lot softer than you'd expect from such a big guy.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

Streets of Rage 4 just pulled a 'Everyone is Here!' and I couldn't be more excited.

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
Okay, add me in as a supporter. I did enjoy this series. I also have to agree, I'm honestly shocked we don't have a beat-em-up brawler in the roster.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Sign me up, Streets of Rage is one of my favorites to play on the Genesis Collection on PS3

Dude just seems synonymous with the Sega Genesis, obviously not so much as Sonic but when I think of peak Sega, I think Streets of Rage.
Funnily enough, Axel is a bit of a classic gamer himself, if his Project X Zone 2 dialogue is any indication.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
This is it, we're getting SOR4 at the very end of this month!

On a side note, it looks like we're getting a train stage inspired by the fan remake. I loved that stage, so it's good to see that the fandom is being acknowledged.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
This is it, we're getting SOR4 at the very end of this month!

On a side note, it looks like we're getting a train stage inspired by the fan remake. I loved that stage, so it's good to see that the fandom is being acknowledged.
The stained glass just makes me wonder what, if any, role Mr. X will have in this game.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The stained glass just makes me wonder what, if any, role Mr. X will have in this game.
Based on the name of the associated stage, I got a theory about that.

There is a new villain called Y, who idolizes Mr. X to creepy degrees, and decides to accomplish what he couldn't, since Mr. X died at the hands of our heroes, at the end of SOR3.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Based on the name of the associated stage, I got a theory about that.

There is a new villain called Y, who idolizes Mr. X to creepy degrees, and decides to accomplish what he couldn't, since Mr. X died at the hands of our heroes, at the end of SOR3.
There's actually two stages with that moniker, Y Island and Y Tower. Hmm...

I feel as though such a villain would more than a mere fanboy/girl, though. Getting such gangs and resources doesn't happen overnight.

Not sure if this means anything or if the devs were even aware of it, but Robo/Fake Axel in Project X Zone 2, in it's final moments vows to Axel that the Syndicate will never die, and the real Axel likewise vows to never stop fighting Mr. X, no matter how many times or how, full-stop, including as a brain in a jar. Certainly seems to imply the Syndicate has resources to go around even without Mr. X at the helm.

Last edited:

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Add me to the list, i played so much SoR, i'm so excited with SoR4 coming soon and all the characters playable (reminds me a lot of SoR Remake which anyone should play)

To give an idea, how about a special move which spawns an item as Axel crouches to grab it from the ground, the items that can appear are a knife, an aluminum bat, lead tube and a katana, each deal different damage and knockback:

Knife = short range, low knockback, fast attack for combo, most effective when thrown
Bat = high kb, low damage
Tube = medium damage and kb
Katana = medium kb, high damage

Axel can choose to just thrown them as a projectile, to balance this move all items have a durability bar, which would deplete pretty fast, at most 3 or 4 hits and they're gone, all of them except the knife would have a bit of startup and significant end lag, used properly can lead to high damage and early KOs but when the durability bar is empty you have to wait to spawn another one, if thrown or dropped the item can be grab and used by your opponent.

P.S. i want this song in Smash

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So the villains in 4 are the Y twins, Mr. X's children. Maybe next time we will get Mrs. Z, his wife.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The cutscenes in 4 do a lot with little to flesh out much of the cast. So far I've learned:

- Nora can take as good as she gives.
- Shiva respects the heroes a lot, and really is neutral when not serving anyone
- Which sort of leads into the implication that Mr. X... wasn't that bad of a person? At the very least, he raised children who care about him, yet Shiva doesn't care for their heavy-handed methods. He must have had some charisma to go with that bribe money. Makes him seem more Geese Howard-like.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I've been trying to limit my spending money with you know what going on, but since I had some extra eShop funds I went ahead and bought SoR4.

So far I'm really loving it! Axel and Blaze are as fun as ever while Cherry is also a great addition (not a fan of Floyd though tbh). It's everything a SoR sequel could've been and I'm really glad with what we got.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Sadly not able to buy it at the moment, but the playthroughs I've seen of it so far show just how jam-packed this game is. It's been deemed the Sonic Mania of beat 'em ups.

Also, it must have been really confusing whenever Mr. X wanted to talk to only one of his kids at home.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Sadly not able to buy it at the moment, but the playthroughs I've seen of it so far show just how jam-packed this game is. It's been deemed the Sonic Mania of beat 'em ups.

Also, it must have been really confusing whenever Mr. X wanted to talk to only one of his kids at home.
I'm pretty sure they're just pseudonyms and they all have real names they only disclose in utmost privacy.

I've been trying to limit my spending money with you know what going on, but since I had some extra eShop funds I went ahead and bought SoR4.

So far I'm really loving it! Axel and Blaze are as fun as ever while Cherry is also a great addition (not a fan of Floyd though tbh). It's everything a SoR sequel could've been and I'm really glad with what we got.
It's the other way around for me. I don't really like how much jumping Cherry does as part of her moveset when enemies in 4 are much more on-point with their anti-airs even on lower difficulties, but Lloyd's low jump kicks and ranged grabs with long throws make him great at dealing with traps and rushing enemies. Of course, he's probably not going to top any score leaderboards in a game based around long hit combos for scoring.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Know what? I wouldn’t mind Axel Stone getting in. Sign me up! I even made a Classic Mode for him:

Axel Stone: Bare-Knuckled Brawl (Fights characters who fight using their hands and little else)
Round 1: :ultken: (Stamina Battle, 100HP) on Suzaku Castle Ω (Ken Stage Type A)
Round 2: :ultdk: on Kongo Falls (Jungle Level (Melee))
Round 3: :ultlucario: on :spearpillar: (Shiva - Streets of Rage 4)
Round 4: :ultbrawler:x7 (horde battle) on :npc: (Dreamer)
Round 5: :ultincineroar: on Boxing Ring (Battle! Island Kahuna)
Round 6: :ultfalcon: on :porttown: Ω (Go Straight)
Final Round: :ultbowser:, then Giga Bowser

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Know what? I wouldn’t mind Axel Stone getting in. Sign me up! I even made a Classic Mode for him:

Axel Stone: Bare-Knuckled Brawl (Fights characters who fight using their hands and little else)
Round 1: :ultken: (Stamina Battle, 100HP) on Suzaku Castle Ω (Ken Stage Type A)
Round 2: :ultdk: on Kongo Falls (Jungle Level (Melee))
Round 3: :ultlucario: on :spearpillar: (Shiva - Streets of Rage 4)
Round 4: :ultbrawler:x7 (horde battle) on Arena Ferox Ω (Battlefield Ver. 2 (Brawl))
Round 5: :ultincineroar: on Boxing Ring (Battle! Island Kahuna)
Round 6: :ultfalcon: on :porttown: Ω (Go Straight)
Final Round: :ultbowser:, then Giga Bowser
Isn't this pretty much just Captain Falcon's route with some tweaks?

Top Bottom