• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Street Fighter V

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I have not played it in like a month, because I got bored of just playing ranked and losing over and over. My PS+ subscription also expired a few weeks ago, so I can't even play online SFV right now even if I wanted to. Some might disagree with me, but I REALLY hope they release a Super SFV so that they can add more to the game and fix a lot of the major flaws with the game.
I'm sort of in the same boat. I haven't been able to play recently due to going back to school and having trouble with Comcast (which has the worst customer service ever). Though even when I had free time I have been barely playing it.

Capcom definitely needs to improve this game, and I think a giant fix in the form of a "super" update could help. The update should have new characters, new costumes/stages, and arcade mode/some other modes (in other words, things that should have been there in the first place). However, if it was not an add-on and had to be purchased separately I would not even consider buying it. I doubt Capcom would do that, but then again it seems like every day Capcom does something really dumb.

Honestly if Capcom doesn't make any changes soon or announces something really dumb, I may consider refunding it on Steam (assuming Steam is kind enough even though I have +2 hours). The lack of major fixes and communication towards the community in regards to SFV's quality is just laughable.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Have you all seen the Street Fighter V redesigns of some characters? Some people like Rose and Cody got away with really good designs. Akuma, on the other hand...

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'm sort of in the same boat. I haven't been able to play recently due to going back to school and having trouble with Comcast (which has the worst customer service ever). Though even when I had free time I have been barely playing it.

Capcom definitely needs to improve this game, and I think a giant fix in the form of a "super" update could help. The update should have new characters, new costumes/stages, and arcade mode/some other modes (in other words, things that should have been there in the first place). However, if it was not an add-on and had to be purchased separately I would not even consider buying it. I doubt Capcom would do that, but then again it seems like every day Capcom does something really dumb.

Honestly if Capcom doesn't make any changes soon or announces something really dumb, I may consider refunding it on Steam (assuming Steam is kind enough even though I have +2 hours). The lack of major fixes and communication towards the community in regards to SFV's quality is just laughable.
Next news will be at Tokyo Game Show later this month. Other than that one, they can't do any huge updates to the game until after Capcom Cup. Game has its issues in single player, and I do hope they spice things up on the competitive side by changing things around on the balance and mechanics, but not until the season is over.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
From what I've read, it seems a VS mode option is coming in this month alongside Urien.

I'll pretty much say this, I am expecting Season 2 to be a lot flourished in terms of content such as additional modes and characters and if that does well, then I think it is worth for Capcom is take the contents and put it on disc as well as to re-market the entire game to ignite consumer interest.

EDIT:

Urien's trailer:

The release date will be announced next week at TGS.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Here's part of Urien's theme.

Doesn't sound much like Crazy Chili Dog, but I still like it. Definitely an improvement over Juri's theme.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Glad that they're finally bringing in vs CPU and daily challenges. Now we just need arcade mode and maybe a few other small modes like the car minigame and we should be set on single-player for now. Wish we got an update on when the 3s costumes and the Bison stage would be coming out though.

vertime

Smash Apprentice
Y'know what's weird? I'm pretty bad with Ryu but I do pretty good as Balrog. Don't know what's up with that; maybe my fundamentals need work or Balrog is just cheap and easy.

I dunno.

MF Viewtiful

Son MF
Switch FC
SW 4028 6305 8614
Hello folks. I'm a moderator for an up and coming discord called Double Jump. We started as a smash server but we are trying to branch out. if you are interested in joining up, please contact me. I'm a huge fg fan myself and would love some fellow fans there.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Urien's theme:

Wish it was more faithful to Crazy Chili Dog, but still leagues better than Juri's theme.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I liked that they chose to be different.

It's funny, people complain that Capcom reuses themes too much, and complain when they do something different.

vertime

Smash Apprentice
Any predictions on the Season Two characters now Season One is done?
I'm thinking Abel, Akuma and maybe a few of the notable Dolls. Can't really think of anyone else.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I liked that they chose to be different.

It's funny, people complain that Capcom reuses themes too much, and complain when they do something different.
I don't mind when they do new themes (Karin, Urien) as long as they don't sound like garbage (Juri's).

I'm thinking Abel, Akuma and maybe a few of the notable Dolls. Can't really think of anyone else.
Judging from all of the hints throughout each story, I think it'll be:

Abel
C. Viper
Sakura
Sagat
Oro
Sean
Akuma w/ arcade mode
Newcomer (probably Azam)

----------

Also looks like we'll be getting Halloween versions of stages at some point

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=217724948&postcount=422

There's even a model of Effie (Necro's girlfriend).

vertime

Smash Apprentice
I don't mind when they do new themes (Karin, Urien) as long as they don't sound like garbage (Juri's).

Judging from all of the hints throughout each story, I think it'll be:

Abel
C. Viper
Sakura
Sagat
Oro
Sean
Akuma w/ arcade mode
Newcomer (probably Azam)

----------

Also looks like we'll be getting Halloween versions of stages at some point

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=217724948&postcount=422

There's even a model of Effie (Necro's girlfriend).
I'm really hoping on Akuma. Love that dude's story, moves and look.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Crimson Viper, Abel, Oro, Gouken, Sagat, and Azam, assuming that they're doing the six-character format again.

vertime

Smash Apprentice
Really? Gouken over Akuma? I'd be surprised but I'd still like to see that Power Of Nothingness about as much as I'd like to see a little Satsui No Hado. Speaking of Satsui No Hado, I'd kill for an Evil Ryu. Skin or character, I don't care, I just want either Akuma or Evil Ryu.

On Azam, I actually don't want him as a newcomer. He just looks a little "meh". I'm not really interested in the character, I wouldn't mind maybe someone we haven't seen for a while like Retsu. He was pretty cool.

Also I want Dan back. Clearly top tier character that just needed more results.

Last edited:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
SSF4 was able to add 10 new characters for console, so we'll see if season 2 can get that much. Besides the obvious fan favorites like Sagat, Akuma, Sakura, and C Viper, I'm not sure who I want to return right away. Decapre and Necro maybe? I want the twins and Makoto back, but I'd save them for a possible season 3.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Sadly, I haven't played SFV since I don't have a gaming PC or a PS4 though I have been following the news and watching all the videos I can about it. If the PS3 kicks the bucket and we can no longer really watch Netflix, then maybe I can convince the wife to upgrade to a PS4. As for right now though, it's a waste of money that can be better used for actual savings. It was my idea actually.

Anyways, here are my hopes for the Season 2 DLC. I think that being Season 2 DLC, it would be great if we get multiple characters right off the bat followed by several more character throughout the months. That way, you garner more interest and hype when starting it off. For the first 3 characters, I think:

1) Sakurai
While definitely not my favorite character by a long shot, I think her inclusion would be a step in the right direction for the first content released for Season 2. One thing that I would love to see is for her to ditch her usual sailor-school girl outfit and pick a more winter-based one used for colder weather. No reason besides being a nice change. As for alternate outfits, her traditional warmer weather sailor outfit, a P.E. outfit, and a summer festival yukata outfit would fit nicely.

2) Abel
Seems logical considering his part in the story and assuming he heals up in time. He was an important part of SFIV which isn't getting much love aside for Juri. In terms of design, I think it would be interesting to design Abel as just coming out of the hospital after his injury and not really paying attention to how he appears. It would be fun to see Abel with long hair with a mustache and raggity beard. Complete in a patient gown haha. Or maybe just what he has on in his SFV story mode. Maybe draining him of his berserk state did more damage than they actually thought. If Capcom really wants to change how Abel plays, maybe has his left arm removed due to damage done by F.A.N.G.? A one armed grappler would be fun but than how can we put in Oro? Regardless, I would love to see the guy wear a Rugby outfit as an alternate costume. And maybe a bartender outfit, too.

3) Peter
Lol we really need him. The Brazilian police officer steps into the fray and tries his very best to be a winner. Obviously, he was a very weak character but maybe something happens to him to make him stronger...maybe he has a little remnants of M. Bison in him after he become psycho dust. It would be pretty fun to play as him; especially with his gun and nightstick. Heck, we can maybe even put opponents in handcuffs or lay down flares for extra fun. His V- Trigger is to summon an attack copter who fires upon the opponent followed by him driving a police car which smashes right into the opponent. As for alternate outfits, maybe a casual outfit, a detective outfit, and a riot gear outfit would be fun to see.

After that, 6 extra DLC character following them increasing the overall characters to 9.

4) Sodom
After working with Mad Gear and quitting, he opened a Yakitori restaurant in Tokyo which received quite a lot of fame for it's delicious taste and great atmosphere. That was until the place was trashed, the money stolen, and everything was burned tot he ground. Devastated by this criminal activity, he decides to take money fighting bad guys and becoming a "super hero" after inspired by the sudden onslaught of super-hero movies. Sodom isn't exactly popular but SFV has been including quite a number of forgotten SFA characters and Sodom might fit nicely into the game. Design wise, his SFV artwork would probably do fine but I would like to see something akin to Garuda from SF:EX personally. He would retain his fighting style from before as well. As for alt costumes, maybe one in a yakitori chef outfit or one reflecting the tengu or another Japanese spirit.

5) Dan
Ahh Dan. He's a mixed bag. Including Dan would just be the right thing to do for a Season 2 and be an interesting addition. I have no idea about his story or his look but, much like Sodom, I think his SFV artwork would do nicely. As for alternate outfits, they could do a lot of fun things with it. Personally, I am a fan of a topical resort outfit and a BBQ-themed outfit.

6) E. Honda
A classic and much needed character. Again, not sure about the story but maybe he retired after SFIV but came out of retirement for SFV? And his design could reflect a more laid back and less sumolike appearance for him. Like a leisure kimono, no face paint and sumo bun, and sandals. Of course, his alternate outfit would be that of a sumo wrestler and maybe also a Kabuki actor.

7) Decapre
Having appeared in the story mode - Decapre would be an interesting addition especially since Bison is no more. Who knows how she would be but obviously we would notice a huge personality and design change in comparison. Even game play would probably be affected. I think she is one of the more interesting characters to look to see how much SFV will have changed them.

8) I was stuck on number 8 since if seems fitting ti introduce an entirely new character (though one would argue that Peter fills this role) or even a guest fighter from another franchise; Capcom or an other company. If we were to go the route of a guest character, here are a list of characters that I think would fit in fairly well into SF.
*Jin Kazuma (Tekken)
*Adam Jensen (Deus Ex)
*Kratos (God of War)
*Chris Redfield (Resident Evil)
*Snake (Metal Gear Solid)
*Faith Connors (mirror's Edge)

Again those are just ideas. However, I would prefer a Street Fighter character and that character would be ...

8) Sagat
There would be a reason why he left Shadaloo and why Abel found him in his mountain retreat which could be explored with Abel included in Season 2. Persoanlly, I wanna see a bearded Sagat. Don't know why but a bald and bearded Sagat would be cool. Oh, and a clothe obscuring his one eye instead of an eye patch. That would be pretty bad ass along with a Thai robe of some sort. His alternate outfits could include his former attire and a royal purple robe.

9) And because I am running out of time...Gill as the final piece in the puzzle. Not much to change in his design or game play.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
Doe anyone else here end up in situations where you fight against a predictable player you know exactly how to beat because you know they won't switch up their playstyle, but you end up failing to punish them the way you thought of? For example: earlier today I fought an Alex as Ryu in ranked and I quickly caught on to the fact that they would try to blockstring me into the headbutt and they would always go for EX elbow chop if I tried to keep my distance with fireballs. Even though I knew exactly how to punish him for those, I got hit with EX elbow chop every single time he went for it and I would get hit with the headbutt most of the time he went for it. I don't know why I kept getting hit by them, because every time he did it I knew he would do it just before he did. I guess maybe there is something in the back of my mind going "no he isn't THAT predictable to try to go for that again" that makes me subconsciously expect them to go for a mix up, but I really don't know. Man I really need to remember that almost every player in the lower ranks won't ever really go for a mix up even after doing the same thing over and over and getting punished every time. Also, every single time I fight a Ken player in ranked, I will always go for an uppercut at the beginning of every round (seriously almost every Ken player I fight jumps forward at the start of the round no matter how many times I have anti-aired them).

vertime

Smash Apprentice
6) E. Honda
A classic and much needed character. Again, not sure about the story but maybe he retired after SFIV but came out of retirement for SFV? And his design could reflect a more laid back and less sumolike appearance for him. Like a leisure kimono, no face paint and sumo bun, and sandals. Of course, his alternate outfit would be that of a sumo wrestler and maybe also a Kabuki actor.
E.Honda actually APPEARS within one of the game's Character Story cutscenes, only for a single still image. However, if memory serves, it was Alex's and it was when F.A.N.G was testing him by picking certain simulations of fighters for Alex to fight against. I really think E.Honda is on the way, especially considering how Iconic he is for Street Fighter. One of the ones I certainly remember.

7) Decapre
Having appeared in the story mode - Decapre would be an interesting addition especially since Bison is no more. Who knows how she would be but obviously we would notice a huge personality and design change in comparison. Even game play would probably be affected. I think she is one of the more interesting characters to look to see how much SFV will have changed them.
You know, I think she has a specific moveset already too. Wouldn't be hard to implement her. I think she is the most likely of the Dolls.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
8) I was stuck on number 8 since if seems fitting ti introduce an entirely new character (though one would argue that Peter fills this role) or even a guest fighter from another franchise; Capcom or an other company. If we were to go the route of a guest character, here are a list of characters that I think would fit in fairly well into SF.
*Jin Kazuma (Tekken)
*Adam Jensen (Deus Ex)
*Kratos (God of War)
*Chris Redfield (Resident Evil)
*Snake (Metal Gear Solid)
*Faith Connors (mirror's Edge)
All I want is Terry Bogard in a SF game and I'm all set when it comes to third-party characters. At this rate it seems Jin or Heihachi is the most likely third party candidate though.

E.Honda actually APPEARS within one of the game's Character Story cutscenes, only for a single still image. However, if memory serves, it was Alex's and it was when F.A.N.G was testing him by picking certain simulations of fighters for Alex to fight against. I really think E.Honda is on the way, especially considering how Iconic he is for Street Fighter. One of the ones I certainly remember.
He also has a tiny cameo in Ibuki's story, though only in her thoughts. I'd love to have Honda, but that would most likely mean bringing Blanka back to complete the original 8 World Warriors (I always hated Blanka).

Last edited:

FallenHero

Smash Ace
There are a lot of characters I want to see in SFV, but honestly I am always hoping for more SF3 characters. My wishlist for season 2:

Akuma (I was surprised he was not in the game from release)
Oro
Q
Dudley
Sakura (never really been a fan of her, but I think it would make a lot of sense)
C. Viper (not really a fan of her either, but I think she would make sense too) or have a whole new character instead (a lot of you suggest Azam, but I would prefer to see a new character we have never seen before)

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Doe anyone else here end up in situations where you fight against a predictable player you know exactly how to beat because you know they won't switch up their playstyle, but you end up failing to punish them the way you thought of? For example: earlier today I fought an Alex as Ryu in ranked and I quickly caught on to the fact that they would try to blockstring me into the headbutt and they would always go for EX elbow chop if I tried to keep my distance with fireballs. Even though I knew exactly how to punish him for those, I got hit with EX elbow chop every single time he went for it and I would get hit with the headbutt most of the time he went for it. I don't know why I kept getting hit by them, because every time he did it I knew he would do it just before he did. I guess maybe there is something in the back of my mind going "no he isn't THAT predictable to try to go for that again" that makes me subconsciously expect them to go for a mix up, but I really don't know. Man I really need to remember that almost every player in the lower ranks won't ever really go for a mix up even after doing the same thing over and over and getting punished every time. Also, every single time I fight a Ken player in ranked, I will always go for an uppercut at the beginning of every round (seriously almost every Ken player I fight jumps forward at the start of the round no matter how many times I have anti-aired them).
Well, it may be predictable, but at the same time the opponent saw no reason to change things up if you weren't stopping his decisions. We can start off with EX Elbow. For any time an EX Elbow manages to hit you even if you weren't doing anything, don't get discouraged by it. Some of these are hard to react to, especially online. For the times where you do expect them to do one soon, you're going to have to bait them. Do some crouch motions or throw out a normal when you see them charging, anything to get them to twitch and do it. Get a feel for the range where they will go for one to punish a fireball and float around that range. For headbutt, it's a mixup. If you're really anticipating that it's about to happen, you need to work on doing the proper answer when he does. Record the dummy in training mode doing a blockstring into headbutt, into dash grab, dash button, and frametrap. Set only for the first one to play and figure out your best punish and then figure out your safest punish. Then afterwards have the other ones play so it randomizes to give you even more practice.

The other thing is you can't downplay your opponent too much for thinking they're predictable. Good players will repeat things because they're in your head, and they know what to put you on tilt. In a lot of these cases, you're going to have to take initiative instead of playing a reactionary game. I think a lot of low to mid level players get caught up with playing too much of a reactionary game. The first problem is you find to be too focused on one option which gives you a blindspot on the other options of approach. The other problem is you're letting the opponent be constantly making decisions. Focusing just on punishes can mean by letting things happen in the first place.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
Well, it may be predictable, but at the same time the opponent saw no reason to change things up if you weren't stopping his decisions. We can start off with EX Elbow. For any time an EX Elbow manages to hit you even if you weren't doing anything, don't get discouraged by it. Some of these are hard to react to, especially online. For the times where you do expect them to do one soon, you're going to have to bait them. Do some crouch motions or throw out a normal when you see them charging, anything to get them to twitch and do it. Get a feel for the range where they will go for one to punish a fireball and float around that range. For headbutt, it's a mixup. If you're really anticipating that it's about to happen, you need to work on doing the proper answer when he does. Record the dummy in training mode doing a blockstring into headbutt, into dash grab, dash button, and frametrap. Set only for the first one to play and figure out your best punish and then figure out your safest punish. Then afterwards have the other ones play so it randomizes to give you even more practice.

The other thing is you can't downplay your opponent too much for thinking they're predictable. Good players will repeat things because they're in your head, and they know what to put you on tilt. In a lot of these cases, you're going to have to take initiative instead of playing a reactionary game. I think a lot of low to mid level players get caught up with playing too much of a reactionary game. The first problem is you find to be too focused on one option which gives you a blindspot on the other options of approach. The other problem is you're letting the opponent be constantly making decisions. Focusing just on punishes can mean by letting things happen in the first place.
Today I made up for all the loses I took yesterday using your advice. I managed to bait a lot of people into trying to attack me without actually throwing out an attack by throwing a fireball and then just crouching instead of throwing another one, or just walking toward my opponent when I'm at a safe distance without trying to jump in or dash forward. I noticed most of the matches I lost today I actually felt more as if the player I was fighting played well instead of me getting frustrated because I felt like I lost to someone I should have beaten. The only matches I got frustrated for losing were when I was so close from getting a win and then a sudden burst of lag would happen during my combo and cause me to drop the combo and lose the round/game. I also have started to condition my opponents to stop jumping at me by trying to always keep myself ready so that I can uppercut them if they try.

Last edited:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Today I made up for all the loses I took yesterday using your advice. I managed to bait a lot of people into trying to attack me without actually throwing out an attack by throwing a fireball and then just crouching instead of throwing another one, or just walking toward my opponent when I'm at a safe distance without trying to jump in or dash forward. I noticed most of the matches I lost today I actually felt more as if the player I was fighting played well instead of me getting frustrated because I felt like I lost to someone I should have beaten. The only matches I got frustrated for losing were when I was so close from getting a win and then a sudden burst of lag would happen during my combo and cause me to drop the combo and lose the round/game. I also have started to condition my opponents to stop jumping at me by trying to always keep myself ready so that I can uppercut them if they try.
Yup, that's good. It's easy to get into the habit of thinking to wait for their move and then pick the right counter option. It's always good to read and anticipate an option, but then quickly move on when you see it's not about to happen. You can get much better once you realize how to force these actions from your opponent. Eventually you're able to get good enough to scope out whether they're the type of player to repeat the same action a few times in a row, see if they're the type to alternate between two options, etc.

Best of 3 being possible is really useful because of it.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
Yup, that's good. It's easy to get into the habit of thinking to wait for their move and then pick the right counter option. It's always good to read and anticipate an option, but then quickly move on when you see it's not about to happen. You can get much better once you realize how to force these actions from your opponent. Eventually you're able to get good enough to scope out whether they're the type of player to repeat the same action a few times in a row, see if they're the type to alternate between two options, etc.

Best of 3 being possible is really useful because of it.
I'm going to try to play with the same mindset I used in Dark Souls 3 PvP when I was playing that for a bit. My mindset in that game was basically I would not respect my opponent's ability to counter my strategies unless they prove to me that they can. It will probably only get me so far in the lower ranks, but I'll figure out when I should stop having that mindset.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Halloween update confirmed:

http://www.capcom-unity.com/harriso...-brings-spook-tacular-street-fighter-v-update

New costumes:
  • Sodom Samurai Ryu
  • Demon Alex
  • Vampire Vega
  • Ghost Bride Cammy
  • Devil Juri
  • Frankenstein Nash
  • Wolfman Necalli (V-trigger turns him into a wolf)
Also a new Halloween stage which is essentially an altered version of the Russian stage. Necro and his girlfriend Effie can be seen in the background.

Last edited:

vertime

Smash Apprentice

FallenHero

Smash Ace
Halloween update confirmed:

http://www.capcom-unity.com/harriso...-brings-spook-tacular-street-fighter-v-update

New costumes:
  • Sodom Samurai Ryu
  • Demon Alex
  • Vampire Vega
  • Ghost Bride Cammy
  • Devil Juri
  • Frankenstein Nash
  • Wolfman Necalli (V-trigger turns him into a wolf)
Also a new Halloween stage which is essentially an altered version of the Russian stage. Necro and his girlfriend Effie can be seen in the background.
All those costumes look so good other than the Cammy costume. I really need to get that Necalli costume to give me another reason to use him more often....

FallenHero

Smash Ace
Sorry to double post, but can anyone give me advice on how to not drop my combos? I can pull off most combos with Ryu consistently when I'm in training mode or when I have much more health than my opponent, but when I am put under pressure and/or lag I end up dropping combos at the worst possible moment. My crush counter punish combo I usually go for with Ryu is: st.HK CC > st.HK > st.LK > HP DP. When I am under pressure in a match I usually screw up the combo at st.LK or at HP DP, and in some cases dropping this combo makes me lose the round/match when I could have gotten the KO if I didn't mess it up. Another combo I often screw up is Solar Plexus > st.MP > HP DP at the st.MP, and I don't understand why because I can do it so easily in training, but online I guess I am pressing MP too early?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Sorry to double post, but can anyone give me advice on how to not drop my combos? I can pull off most combos with Ryu consistently when I'm in training mode or when I have much more health than my opponent, but when I am put under pressure and/or lag I end up dropping combos at the worst possible moment. My crush counter punish combo I usually go for with Ryu is: st.HK CC > st.HK > st.LK > HP DP. When I am under pressure in a match I usually screw up the combo at st.LK or at HP DP, and in some cases dropping this combo makes me lose the round/match when I could have gotten the KO if I didn't mess it up. Another combo I often screw up is Solar Plexus > st.MP > HP DP at the st.MP, and I don't understand why because I can do it so easily in training, but online I guess I am pressing MP too early?
First off, it's good that you're going for your best punish. It's a good first step since some people get so nervous that they go for throw punish. As for dropping combos on punishes, you'll have to calm your nerves a bit, imo, if you're landing them in training mode. If you haven't already, get in the habit of double tapping some inputs so they don't drop. The game has a buffer, so double tapping will likely make it land. So in that combo, I'd double tap stLK to avoid it dropping. The other thing is to don't be too concerned if dropping combos cost you rounds. You'll want to get them down of course, but I suggest looking at what lead to the situation you're currently in. There's usually something that caused you to make the match that close (no teching, risky DPs, mashing at bad times, etc).

The reason why you're dropping these is a combination of online and doing it against a moving opponent. Online has rollback, but there's some delay to it too. For punish combos, all I can say is double tap more and work on ironing out those nerves. For other combos, I'd record the CPU dummy to move left and right and block here and there. It's helpful so you can get an idea of range and confirming.

And remember, if the move isn't coming in a combo, you're linking too early (this is where double tapping really helps). If it comes out and they block it, that just mean you need to time it sooner.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
First off, it's good that you're going for your best punish. It's a good first step since some people get so nervous that they go for throw punish. As for dropping combos on punishes, you'll have to calm your nerves a bit, imo, if you're landing them in training mode. If you haven't already, get in the habit of double tapping some inputs so they don't drop. The game has a buffer, so double tapping will likely make it land. So in that combo, I'd double tap stLK to avoid it dropping. The other thing is to don't be too concerned if dropping combos cost you rounds. You'll want to get them down of course, but I suggest looking at what lead to the situation you're currently in. There's usually something that caused you to make the match that close (no teching, risky DPs, mashing at bad times, etc).

The reason why you're dropping these is a combination of online and doing it against a moving opponent. Online has rollback, but there's some delay to it too. For punish combos, all I can say is double tap more and work on ironing out those nerves. For other combos, I'd record the CPU dummy to move left and right and block here and there. It's helpful so you can get an idea of range and confirming.

And remember, if the move isn't coming in a combo, you're linking too early (this is where double tapping really helps). If it comes out and they block it, that just mean you need to time it sooner.
Yeah I have not really gone for throw punishes since back when I played 3rd Strike OE. Watching tournament matches and videos on how to use Ryu in this game taught me a lot about what punish combos I should be using with Ryu (it wasn't until this weekend I realized Ryu's target combo was pretty much Ryu's worst punish option). I've had a ton of improvement in this game over the weekend alone, I went from losing most of my matches to ending someones 17 win streak when they were ranked higher than me.

I have never played with an arcade stick before (been using the PS4 controller for this game), but I am saving up money to buy one by Christmas this year. Don't know if it will improve how I play when I learn how to use it, but I think it will definitely help with accidentally pressing the wrong buttons, because the buttons on the PS4 controller are pretty close to each other.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
I know that I am going to seem salty, but god damn do I hate fighting grapplers in this game. Specifically Gief, Birdie and Laura. Against Gief I feel like I am just fighting a wall that can get so much damage off a single move. Birdie players are actually really easy for me to fight after the first match, but during that first match it is so boring and frustrating for me whether I win or lose. Laura is easily the most annoying character to fight when I get knocked down and/or end up in the corner. Whenever I try to go for a meaty on a Gief or Laura player while they have full meter, 9 times out of 10 they will wake-up super (Against Gief it usually costs me the round/match because of its ridiculous damage). Also, Gief and Laura have a **** ton of range on super, sometimes they will go for it in front of me and I just wait for it to whiff expecting it to miss for not being close enough, but then I do get grabbed. I am not saying these characters are overpowered or broken by any means (though IMO giving Laura a projectile that is used to force players to block and then get hit with a low attack or her overhead was a horrible idea), but I just feel the need to talk about how much I hate them in this game (except for you Alex I love you).

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Guile has been driving me crazy recently. Every match against one is the same: block their booms, try to jump and get flash kicked. If I get a hit on them they just run away and repeat. I went from silver to bronze last night after fighting like 4 Guiles.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
I really hope they get to fixing this game's netcode and matchmaking. The netcode in this game clearly tries to take from the netcode used for S3:OE with the roll back, but it isn't quite as good as the netcode from that game. The roll back in 3S:OE rarely ever happened, but on the few times it did, it was really annoying (for example, you see your character hitting the opponent and you hear the announcer say "KO", but then the roll back happens and you see they actually didn't get KO'd). The roll back in SFV happens way more often, and even though the game has never said I got a KO and then said "wait never mind" it is so much worse in this game. The roll back often forces me and my opponent to just stare at each other from full screen until it goes away, or my opponent just suddenly teleports in front of me and I end up taking a lot of damage to something that was impossible to react to. Even when my opponent tries to jump in towards me and the lag causes them to freeze midair, I can't even anti-air them since the game seems to have trouble detecting special move inputs when there is lag.

The matchmaking in this game for online is also absolutely horrible. You can choose so that the matchmaking only puts you against players with 4-5 bars of connection, but it will still place you against players with all kinds of connections anyways. The other bad part about the matchmaking is that it will just place you against another player who is nearly 2-3 ranks above or below you at seemingly random. There will be times when I am on a winning streak fighting against players close to the amount of LP I have, but then I will suddenly get put against someone who has less than twice the LP I have. Trying to get past Ultra Bronze/Super Bronze is a pain in the ***, because I constantly get put against players in Super Silver or in Silver one or two wins away from getting to Super Silver. They seriously need to implement some of the Rival Search features from the CFN into Ranked and Casual match.

I also really don't understand how it works in ranked when it comes to how the game decides how much LP you gain or lose after a match. I can win against someone who has about 100-200 more LP than I do, and the game only gives me 35 LP for winning, but then I fight someone in Super Silver with pretty much twice my LP and I lose 55-65 LP for losing to them. If they are going to place me against players with so much more LP than I have, they should at least make it so that I don't lose as much LP for getting my *** handed to me by them.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Yeah I agree that online needs fixing.

But what I'm mainly waiting for are these costumes (specifically the Alex one):

Still no word on when they're coming out.

EDIT: Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut we just got some new Red Bull costumes.

That Chun costume should've been for Laura.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Sorry for the double post, but holy crap I am just so frustrated right now. I went from 3600 LP back to 2800 LP in the span of 6 hours. I'd say 95% of the people I fought today were either Nash, Ryu/Ken, or Mika. Each one of them was the exact same:

Nash: (cr. MP --> MP --> "SLICE YOU UP!")
Ryu/Ken: *Constant shoryuken mashing*
Mika: "HERE, AND GO!" [50/50 in corner]

It feels like every non-lariat move as Alex is a death sentence if missed or blocked. Meanwhile, all of Nash's moonsault variants are all safe on block while Alex's stomp isn't. I don't think I've ever been this :shaker: in a while.

Top Bottom