• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Streaming with OBS (Open Broadcaster System) – score board for teams

Kadano

Magical Express
Sorry for cluttering up the Melee section even more with this thread, unfortunately the videography board is gone.

While watching VGBC’s streams, I was always impressed with the quality of their stream layouts, but I didn’t like how teams were handled. It was often really hard to tell who played which character. The “Player A (P1) + Player B (P2)” solution is not really satisfying either to me. Unfortunately, the score boards I’ve tried so far do not support four players properly. So I tried to make an explicit layout using only OBS’ text and image sources:

Note that the program layout below is not real, I edited it with Gimp like I want it to be.
All of the player backgrounds are individual layers, so they can be aligned and removed freely:

While I’m really happy with the layout (mostly stolen from VGBC, admittedly), increasing the score, changing the player name etc. is much more of a hassle than with CraftBoard, Stream Control etc.
So what I am looking for is either:
1. Someone who knows how to tweak OBS so that it works like in the first image (I suppose I’m not the only one looking for a Melee-specific score board?) and would work together with me to make it real (I’m a noob at programming, but willing to make this happen).
2. A way to write the fields in any score board to individual txt files that can be loaded as text in OBS. Not a perfect solution as colors still need to be exchanged within the OBS sources, but I think it would be a decent workaround.
3. A different solution using or modifying Stream Control or a similar program. I’m pretty skeptical this works properly as I haven’t found a way to get proper text shadow like above in these programs and in my opinion, this is essential.

Edit: This layout is for 856×480, btw – I prefer to stream in that resolution as my connection probably isn’t capable of doing 60 fps in higher resolution with decent quality.

Last edited:

Bones0

Smash Legend
I think it'd look better if the little tabs with the player's names had a team-colored background (red, blue, or green) and just white text for the names.

Also, your score locations will be confusing if, for example, blue team has ports 1 and 4. It might be best to just keep the score at the top center with the font of each number corresponding to the team (ex. 2-1).

Kadano

Magical Express
Great idea, unfortunately it would be even less user-friendly in OBS as it is now (I would need to have four layers per player, right now it’s only two).

I don’t think it would be confusing as player colors correspond to score colors anyway.

Kadano

Magical Express
Made some tweaks to the template, those fonts were far too large.

I’m pretty happy with it now. A friend of mine wrote a program that saves .txt files which are automatically updated in OBS:

I can upload all files if somebody wants them.

PiBs

Smash Journeyman
Made some tweaks to the template, those fonts were far too large.
I’m pretty happy with it now. A friend of mine wrote a program that saves .txt files which are automatically updated in OBS:
I can upload all files if somebody wants them.
I would love the files in hope to make my local stream pretty.

CawRiN

Smash Rookie
I definitely want the files. It would be a nice place-holder while waiting on someone to make one for me.

Kadano

Magical Express
Last edited:
Top Bottom