• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Stratocaster's Hitbox System - New Download Link!

DRGN

Technowizard
Hey, I came up with basically the same idea that you had, and I was going to approach it the same way (collect gifs of each animation in the game). Did you ever make any progress with this or figure out a feasible method to get each animation?
Wondering what became of this. I've since come up with a few CV-related projects that require frame-by-frame PNGs of every animation. If there's grunt work to be done to collect all this stuff I'm happy to do it.
Hi. The project of collecting all animation frames still exists, but it's just been on a backburner. I've been wanting to get back to it, because of my own project that would use them, and also for others who I've been in contact with that have other projects which require frames as well. But other projects have gone ahead of the frames-collection in queue, just because I felt they were bigger and more important. Kind of depending on where I physically am determines what I'm working on as well, as I don't have all of my project environments set up on all the systems I use. Right now, my Melee work at home only has one project with more priority than the frames collection, and it's close to finished. So I hope to get back to the frames collection pretty soon.

If you're wondering what the raw product would be, well basically, the automation I have returns frames like this:View attachment 116864

The size and position of the character is such that any character should be able to be placed there, and any move they do (aside from special cases like Fox/Falco side-B) should be fully captured within that area. e.g.:

View attachment 116865

So the base position should always be the same (might be a little different for characters in the air). The original set of frames will be collected without effects that could obscure hitboxes (like fire, wind, etc), and a code to color code hitboxes based on ID.

When I have a few characters done I'll create a thread and upload what I have.

Last edited:

MrSquishy

Smash guy, I guess.
When I have a few characters done I'll create a thread and upload what I have.
Awesome, thanks for the update! I can't see the attachments due to some permissions nonsense but oh well. Let me know if I can be helpful to this project in any way... I don't know too much about melee stuff but I'm a full time software developer (soon-to-be full time unemployed person (moving across the country for life reasons)) and I'm more than willing to learn.

Last edited:

BKsLittleWorld

Smash Rookie
I have a Question. I would like to include this in the breaks of the SSBM tournament I am currently helping out. I would like to ask for Permission. I would credit the names in this list directly on the stream and I would put a link of this thread in the description.

Stratocaster

Smash Ace
I have a Question. I would like to include this in the breaks of the SSBM tournament I am currently helping out. I would like to ask for Permission. I would credit the names in this list directly on the stream and I would put a link of this thread in the description.
Sure man go for it.

MrSquishy

Smash guy, I guess.
Hi. The project of collecting all animation frames still exists, but it's just been on a backburner. I've been wanting to get back to it, because of my own project that would use them, and also for others who I've been in contact with that have other projects which require frames as well. But other projects have gone ahead of the frames-collection in queue, just because I felt they were bigger and more important. Kind of depending on where I physically am determines what I'm working on as well, as I don't have all of my project environments set up on all the systems I use. Right now, my Melee work at home only has one project with more priority than the frames collection, and it's close to finished. So I hope to get back to the frames collection pretty soon.
DRGN DRGN digging this back up from ancient history--i've finally got some more time and am feeling motivated to take this on. do you have any scripts or pointers you can share? i hacked something together awhile back but it choked on things like aerial states, grabbed states, etc

DRGN

Technowizard
DRGN DRGN digging this back up from ancient history--i've finally got some more time and am feeling motivated to take this on. do you have any scripts or pointers you can share? i hacked something together awhile back but it choked on things like aerial states, grabbed states, etc
Hey! Sorry for the late response; I was away on Vacation when I saw this, and forgot when I got back until just now.

Yeah, I do have some scripts and some things you can do to speed up the process. It's all on one of my computers at home though, so I'll have to send you that later, probably next week. Is there a specific set of frames that you want?

quontas

Smash Rookie
DRGN DRGN This animation project you mentioned would really help me with a project of mine, did it ever get completed? Do you have partial data I might be able to use?

DRGN

Technowizard
I did not complete it. Though I have a functional demonstration of the frame viewer application here. Tentatively called DHS, for "Durgan's Hitbox System" (following the naming convention of its predecessors, the original "Seanson's Hitbox System", and "Stratocaster's Hitbox System"). Included is frame data and images for Boswer. I still have the scripts somewhere for collecting frame images, though I'm pretty sure they're not totally complete because I decided to rewrite them at some point. I'd need to look for the latest ones, and would probably need to test them and write up an explanation on how to use them.

Last time I was working on this project, I was talking to a few others to try to get help with part of my process and find a site to host the application. I had even done more work on the viewer, and it was looking even better than in the demo linked to above. However discussion of those pursuits just kind of fizzled away. Another person was even working on yet another viewer project at the same time. So considering those things, that other gifs of the hitboxes already exist, and that I've had other projects that I consider more important (personally speaking, but also more people are interested in them as far as I can tell), such as MCM, DTW, and some currently unreleased work, I've just been working on those other projects in the bits of spare time I can find.

If people really like the demo, there's still a chance I could be talked into working on this again at some point. I always did like it, and wanted to see it finished. But I'd need to finish other work first.

Top Bottom