• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Straight Outta Salt. January 16th

Basty

Smash Ace
Hey Guys!
If you didn't know, the Tasmanian Smash Community has been planning a Major for a long time now, while this isn't the major we were originally planning for.

One big thing I have to get out of the way first is, spots are limited to a small number, Melee has only 28 spots (4 of which are taken) and Smash 4 has 48 (With only 8 spots left). Sorry we had to announce Smash 4 so late to have so little spots, but i was waiting until melee signups were up to announce this on smashboards. However, in December a check of spots for Smash 4 will be going out and if people don't respond, spots will free up. For Melee, if it gains popularity, more spots will be given

Venue: Door of Hope, 40 Glen Dhu Street, Launceston

Why you should go (Pros)
Cash Prizes for top 3 of each game (Smash 4 Winner gets $300 and Melee winner gets $150)

Other games to play on the other side of the room, with games spanning all over different generations from the SNES all the way to the PS4!

The winner of each game gets a trophy!

Shirts! Nothing special, but top 3 do get shirts

Stream! A fully streamed Tasmanian event, who would have thought? (We do have streams though, watch them, please)

Free registry for people bringing set ups!

Fully Catered!

Parking at the Venue!

Why you might not want to go
Limited Spots

Miles Warehouse 3 is the same month

(That's really all i can think of, unless you hate the thought of travelling to tasmania)

Rulesets

Basic Rules

No projectile or attack stalling, this means the player can not knowingly rack up damage and then proceed not to kill or wasting time.

No glitches or character abuse, example’s being Bowser Jr. Kart glitch, Pac Man Up-B stage glitch and more.

Side Victory, Ganon Side-B, Bowser Side-B and other dual take downs that end up insudden death rule towards the attackers side, example if Bowser Side-B’s he takes the win.

Timeouts, if the game times out the person with the lower percentage wins.

Smash 4

Singles 2 Stock, 6:00 Minute Timer
Items OFF
Custom moves are banned
Custom equips are banned
1111 Default Mii Brawler, Swordsman and Gunner are Legal; this is
due to time
constraints
Wii U DLC Characters are legal
The only change from the Super Smash Con ruleset applies to controllers which usually don’t allow wireless controllers, but for this tournament we will be allowing:
GameCube, Wii U Pro Controllers and 3DS Controllers

First player strikes one stage, Second player strikes one stage.
Neutral picks are Smashville, Final Destination and Battlefield.

Counterpicks are
Town & City, Lylat Cruise, Halberd, Delfino Plaza, Duck Hunt, Castle
Siege, Omega Palutena’s Temple and Dreamland 64.

Gentlemen’s Agreement, if both players decide and agree on a stage (omegas for
example) the official will allow the game to commence on that stage.
You cannot pick a stage you have already won on.
Basic rules apply.

Melee

Singles 4 Stock, 8:00 Minute Timer
Items OFF

Stage Strikes from Neutrals for the first match of the set.
First player strikes one stage.
Second player strikes two stages.
First player strikes one stage.

Neutrals are Battlefield, Yoshi’s Story, Dreamland, Final Destination and Fountain of
Dreams.

Counterpicks are Pokémon Stadium.

You cannot pick a stage you have already won on.
Basic rules apply.

HOW TO APPLY
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0dik3lhc9neackp/Straight Outta Salt.docx?dl=0

If you wish to apply, please fill out the form on the very bottom of the following link and send it to Mad Yak E-Sports Facebook Page

Notable Attendees

Swebe :falcomelee::foxmelee::4sheik::
Swebe is easily the best melee player in Tasmania and one of the best smash 4 players. He has gained multiple firsts over his career now. He has a good track record in Launceston. Only dropping one set at Smash Thursdays 2 and winning every set at Smash on Saturday in every single game. You might know him because he got combo'd by MojoMonkey a lot.

Zedd :4ness::4diddy::marthmelee:: Zedd is considered the best smash 4 player in Tasmania, despite placing 7th at a local weekly recently, his Marth in melee has also done really well, taking a set off of the clear favourite to win the set at the time, Basty. He has a huge passion for smash and hopes to make up for his performance at BAM7

CaptainCrash:4greninja: : CaptainCrash is probably them most well known Tasmanian Smash 4 player in Tasmania. His Toon Link got him a solid 17th place at BAM7, being the highest placing Tasmanian smash 4 player. He recently quit Toon Link in favour for his Greninja and has started to learn other characters including Charizard and Pac-Man.

Sheepgobeep :foxmelee::4fox:: Some people know him as the guy who got 4 stocked by Leffen on stream twice at BAM7, but others know him simply as a guy to watch out for. He usually isn't the favourite going into a tournament with a player like Swebe there, but he usually has more of a chance then any of the other players attending. He is on the move to Melbourne next year for Uni, so this should be a good sign off for him.

Bupernox :4myfriends:: Probably one of the least known Tasmanian Smash 4 Players, but he has some of the best results. His first tournament in January of this year, he won! His second tournament was a doubles tournament, first again! His latest tournament, 3rd. Still amazing to see this guy come out of no where to start winning. Not confirmed to be in attendance as of yet, but if he does show up he will be showing his stuff for sure.

Nacht :4rob::bowsermelee:: Spotdodge, downsmash. The nightmare of any tasmanian smasher ranked below him. His R.O.B in Smash 4 was brought over from Brawl, of which he has one every event of in Tasmania. He also has a scary Bowser in melee, which has earned him some nice high placings.

just Harry :4mario:: Considered to be one of the biggest improvers in Tasmania. His Mario has given him Top 4 placings in tournaments, quite easily. He has given a lot of Tasmania someone to watch out for other than Swebe and Zedd. Don't let him catch you off guard or he will beat you.

TSK| Twitch :4zss:: Probably the best Smash 4 Player in Launceston. He hasn't had a chance to travel down to Hobart yet, but Launceston is hoping to have good results from him. He mains Zero Suit but also can play other characters including :4dk: and :rosalina:

TSK| Cap Gains
:4yoshi::4gaw:: This guy is the second best in Launceston quite easily. His Yoshi is a strong force and is one of the few Launceston players to have a huge understanding of the game. He hasn't travelled to Hobart either. But if he does, Hobart better watch out

Basty:foxmelee::falcomelee::marthmelee::sheikmelee:: Probably the most well known Tasmanian Smasher. ****poster extraordinaire and the guy who brought the Tasmanian community to attention. He recently quit Smash 4 to focus all his efforts on Melee. He recently won Tasmania's MAICon 2015 with out dropping a game. While he is probably no where close to best in Tas at this point in time, a little improvement and he could be.

Chooker:samusmelee::4samus:: The only remaining old school smasher and the (possibly) best Samus in both Smash 4 and Melee. His style of play is definitely more old school than others and his edgeguarding game as of late has been on point. He has the X-Factor in him since he is the only Samus in Tas and could upset anyone

Nope:peachmelee::sheikmelee:: Another person who hasn't confirmed attendance, but he deserves a write up just in case he does attend. Nope is the best peach in Tas by far. He can play Peach in any game and still continue to dominate. He is one of the Top 4 melee players in Hobart and should be watched out for if you are hoping to progress to the final bracket.

MrMiacro:rosalina::icsmelee:: A top player hailing from Hobart. He mains Rosalina, but also has a scary Luigi, Wii Fit Trainer, Zero Suit and even Mewtwo. His Ice Climbers in Melee is also improving, with him learning the character quickly like it's no one's business. It is believed his performance come from his top knot, hopefully it grows back so he can do well (also so I can make fun of him for having one).

Yoyo:marthmelee::foxmelee:: A player with a huge career ahead of him. Playing well in 64, Melee, Project M and even Smash 4, he knows his way around the game. The guy is learning quicker than Jamaican athletes can run. His Marth and Fox are both a force to be reckoned with.

Last edited:

Pas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Antilochos
3DS FC
2277-6656-7895
Mulletcap :4ganondorf:

Known for having a mullet and a baseball cap. Easily amongst the top five wiimote/nunchuck users in the Hobart smash scene, his Ganon inspires fear in anything with a weakness to a firm boot to the scone. Gononcide always a threat. Once switched to Marth and scared the **** out of me.

Corndawg :4bowser:

Everyone knows Scott as the guy responsible for bringing about the most wonderful ragequit ever. Shields were shattered, doors were shook, and while the replay is lost to the whim of Sakurai's weird replay patching, all in attendance will take that fond memory to their grave. Goes for the command grab all the time. This is usually a firm strat.

Happy-feet :4yoshi:

Named for his infatuation with smash memes and Yoshi's dair, Alex has a string of fourth place finishes to his name and once won a tournament to everybody's surprise, including his own. At the old age of almost-30, he contributes grammar corrections and a car to a scene much in need of both.

Robotsauce :4megaman::4lucas::4villager:

When she's not busy TO'ing and streaming, Robotsauce is responsible for the majority of bowling ball related injuries in the Hobart scene. Is devoted to proving that Lucas is a viable alternative to Ness, even though he isn't.

Basty

Smash Ace
I don't think you read the actual thing itself Kaiza

I mentioned it was the same month as Miles Warehouse 3 in the post

No need to mention something that has already been mentioned

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
I don't think you read the actual thing itself Kaiza

I mentioned it was the same month as Miles Warehouse 3 in the post

No need to mention something that has already been mentioned
Having two majors around the same time is really silly; it hurts both events.

And having it on the same weekend as Genesis is even more silly.

Gotta talk to others about these things before you go around making all the important decisions mate.

Basty

Smash Ace
Having two majors around the same time is really silly; it hurts both events.

And having it on the same weekend as Genesis is even more silly.

Gotta talk to others about these things before you go around making all the important decisions mate.
I should of probably made this more clear in the first post, but I'm not actually running it, I have no say in anything really, just advertising. We'll probably work out something better later next year.

Dino63

Smash Journeyman
I'll probably be in Tas around the time of the tourney,
if i can be arse'd i'll pop in, say hi, hang out with The Chook
By 2016, it will be a decade since i went to a tourney with Chooker ...... getting F***ing Old :dkmelee:

S.D

Smash Master
Sub 50 caps for both games.
In Tasmania.
Sorry bruh this is not a 'major' it's just a tournament in Tassie capped at a fifth the size of a melbourne monthly.
Gawd I hate use of the term major like this...

Last edited:

D.J Cat

Smash Lord
That description of Chooker makes me wet...

**** I' old!!!!

We have some unused tournament names from roughly 10 years ago if us needem..
Like:
Come Here And Play Smash Tournament in Company of Kings

Or

For a tournament come under norrthern Tasmania.

Fomore suggestions check the channel 64 forums.
You know the address!

Dino63

Smash Journeyman
its been nearly 10 years and I still regret going with a family friendly name of BoO
instead of the old "For a tournament come under norrthern Tasmania" name

will there be doubles at this tourney?

Basty

Smash Ace
alright, so this is kinda ****ed and i didnt have any decision around it but the tournament is now uncapped

bit late for a lot of people. if anyone is coming and wants to be able to watch Genesis, i'll get into talks about having the G3 stream on while it's happening

Top Bottom