• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Straight Lunge cancelling

PHYTO-1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHYTO-1
Just realized you can cancel straight lunge with a shield (and therefore spotdodge, roll, airdodge, item throw, jump out of shield- therefore jc usmash and jump with any specials/aerial out of straight lunge).

You cannot item throw in the air out of it though. It will register a zdrop despite directional input.

Upb out of it will take 5 frames. 1 for shield, 1 for jumpsquat, and 3 for upb hitbox. Dtilt will take 17 frames to come out of just shield

This will let you use the heavy armor as a landing option then airdodge/roll away when you near/on the ground.

Can also be used to approach the ledge by using heavy armor on a projectile or weak aerial if and only if you can airdodge to the ledge.

Also good as a fakeout on the ledge to cover multiple options. They regular or attack getup then you punch them (edit: all get up attacks are now heavy armor proof in ultimate). They roll- you reverse it (yes you can reverse the lunge now). They jump then you jc usmash/up b. They stay on ledge then shield then dtilt or whatever. Covering three of the four getup options is still great.

On a move like DK spinning kong on stage, if he doesnt catch you in it- you can full jump into charge SL and eat the hits then proceed to punish asap when the last hit ends.

Even then, approaching with a fulljump into SL can scare an opponent into shielding- allowing you to grab them right when you land. Though thats not a guarantee

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
You don't need to input jump or wait for the first frame of jumpsquat to up-b or u-smash out of shield in Ultimate; both can be done as native, legal commands out of shield on any control scheme.

Keep in mind too that up-b is still f1 invincible!

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Something to add to this too is that the heavy armor on Straight Lunge can only take hits that deal less than 10%, so it can even tank tilts from characters like Fox, then shield cancel into up-smash for a stronger hit.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
this is one of those tactics i swear to god doesnt work online, least for me.
I thought of this too, and locally i can pull it off most of the time, but online i somehow always get stunned out of it anyway (not grabbed, hit out of it) even though its supposed to have armor. Makes me wonder if im not "actually" doing what my character on screen is doing yet.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
its supposed to have armor. Makes me wonder if im not "actually" doing what my character on screen is doing yet.
Remember that the armor is heavy armor, not super armor. And that armor breaks if Little Mac gets hit by a move that does 10% or more damage (1v1 damage modifier taken into consideration).

You can tank Fox's D-tilt with Neutral B (the move does 9.6%) but not Snake's grenade (which does around 10%)

Last edited:
Top Bottom