• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stop the Pokemon bandwagoning, it's ruining Smash speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Just as the title says.

I aim this specifically for supporters of a certain owl. :rolleyes:

Yes, the so-called "Decidueye supporters". You are all mostly riding a bandwagon that is poisonous for the speculation. For a lot of people, this character is all but confirmed to make a playable appearance in Smash Switch. And even though the character has it's charms, I don't want it to just happen 'just because'.

I also get it that with each Smash game, we are more than likely to get a new Pokemon character over any other established Nintendo franchise. It's the way it has always been, and with so many workable Pokemon characters and with so many new games being released, I can see why.

But, Pokemon is much bigger than just the newest additions. Especially since the last few years. And also, Smash isn't following any criteria whatsoever adding characters, except of 'what is popular sells'. And guess what? Pokemon is popular enough to sell itself.. It doesn't NEED Decidueye's inclusion to be whole.

Why? Not because it's a Grass type, and a Starter Pokemon and from a new game, it will be a playable character! It worked for Charizard yes, but not even his companions of the past, Squirtle and Ivysaur made it back. This is something that has to be remembered well, cause Squirtle and Ivysaur (and their evolution lines) are just as iconic and important as ever!

And yes, Greninja made it in but it was due to careful observation and picking. Up till today, Greninja was almost as 'forced' upon us as Lucario was back in the day. And believe me, Lucario support was LOUD back in Brawl!! Very loud infact, and it was also appearant that Lucario was favored by GameFreak themselves, and was heavily supported.

Decidueye has none of these factors, and really doesn't stand out all that much. And this Pokemon bandwagon has been riding since forever. We've had it with Sceptile (even though that Pokemon is actually COOL AS ****!), and even the likes of Zoroark and Victini. It's ugly and ungeniune support, much like how mostly everyone excepted Chrom to 'just appear' because he was the main Lord of Awakening. And to Chrom's defence: I've seen far more genuine support for Chrom than Decidueye.

Pokemon is a monsterously giant franchise with a lot of potential playable characters. We've had the massive successes of Pokemon Go for example that has made the first generation of monsters more iconic than ever. And we've had the awesome success of Pokken, which could also serve as a great inspiration for Smash characters, excisting or newcomers. These facts also cannot be overlooked so quickly.

Greninja is now well established as one of the more popular Pokemon, and certainly deserves it's spot in Smash Bros. Am far less conviced that Decidueye has this lasting appeal, especially since a NEW Pokemon game might show up when Smash Switch shows up it's face from the developer's work table.

I do not hate the owl, but I do hate the bandwagonist behaviour of it's supporters. And I want it to die before it actually becomes a thing, and speculation becomes a boring repeative cycle pattern again where we all just say the same **** untill we hope it happens. There's a reason why Sakurai embraced 'the unexpected' characters so much in Smash 4... It was probably because expectations are probably one of the biggest hype killers ever. I daresay that's even the reason we got the likes of Cloud and Bayonetta for DLC instead of King K.Rool, who was heavily "expected". It just doesn't work like that. And circle jerking won't make it anything better.

Thank you for your time reading this, let's have a great time speculating togheter without toxic bandwagoning behaviour!

I mean. . .Inciniroar is my favorite pokemon of all time, and dedinitely one of my most wanted. . . but that doesnt mean decidueye is totally a bandwagon. I mean of course there are absolutely bandwagobers for the type trio, but there are still other reasons to want decidueye

Unlike sceptile, decidueye actually has a decent potential gimmick and relevancy, and was popular ever since rowlet was revealed.

And if anything, calling out a fanbase is way way way more "toxic" than just trying to want a character.
:061:

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
That might be so, but especially Pokemon and Fire Emblem characters are often hit with the bandwagonist hype surrounding characters that everything that is new means automatically = great.

Decidueye is just a good example of what has always happened. And sure, there are actual fans of the character. And I could see why. But am not buying into the hype just yet. And I don't see Decidueye becoming as popular as the likes of Greninja and Lucario. It's also not like we are obligated to have a Grass Starter playable either.

So yeah, for me it's mostly bandwagonist hyping.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Decidueye is popular. Predicting his inclusion is not bandwagon behavior. It is prediction based on factors.

What is poisonous is trying to ban speculation concerning a particular character. What if everyone agrees that Decidueye will never happen and then the Switch port comes along and Decidueye is in?

If Smash Switch is a port, then the most recent generation will most likely be this one. And Decidueye is popular and completes the elemental starter tradition. Pokemon is known for its types and having the three first types introduced is important.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I see Decidueye support the same as Zoroark support.

It's people assuming the same thing will happen twice.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I see Decidueye support the same as Zoroark support.

It's people assuming the same thing will happen twice.
The same happened with Chrom, as well. They were expected, more than anything, and it led certain people to warm up to them because they considered them inevitable. Kind of like an inverse of an old fable.

That said, don't assume all that's there is bandwagon. Much like with Chrom and Zoroark, there are many people who think Decidueye is legitimately interesting. I get how character support groups tend to end up like tribes, but we shouldn't assume all members of said tribes are the same.

Besides, if we get enough new content, I wouldn't rule out more than one new Pokémon. Lot of characters from it have all of the traits Sakurai's team looks for.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The same happened with Chrom, as well. They were expected, more than anything, and it led certain people to warm up to them because they considered them inevitable. Kind of like an inverse of an old fable.

That said, don't assume all that's there is bandwagon. Much like with Chrom and Zoroark, there are many people who think Decidueye is legitimately interesting. I get how character support groups tend to end up like tribes, but we shouldn't assume all members of said tribes are the same.

Besides, if we get enough new content, I wouldn't rule out more than one new Pokémon. Lot of characters from it have all of the traits Sakurai's team looks for.
I also find Decidueye interesting.

But I also think its unlikely.

And I'm not assuming that either, though Diddy might.

D

Deleted member

Unlike sceptile, decidueye actually has a decent potential gimmick and relevancy, and was popular ever since rowlet was revealed.
This is one thing I absolutely despise about it in regards to Smash speculation.

Note, I don't really care if someone wants Decidueye or not. Everyone is entitled to their desires regardless of likelihood.
What I don't like is how Decidueye was somehow unanimously decided to be the most likely Alola Pokémon for Smash once we first saw Rowlet. Not when Decidueye was officially revealed. Not when Decidueye was leaked. When Rowlet was revealed.

It took post-release for people to even consider the idea of another Pokémon. And even then, they've all got some fabricated excuse as to why they shouldn't be in serious consideration in comparison to the sacred owl.

The reasoning to this day boils down to drawing comparisons to Greninja despite the logic people use in regards to Decidueye not actually applying to Greninja's inclusion in Smash whatsoever and being overall irrelevant to Decidueye's actual chances.

In other words, there literally is no legitimate reasoning for Decidueye being the most likely choice. It just "is" because a bandwagon says so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom