• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stone Scabbard

Dbap

Smash Rookie
I've played Mii Swordfighter as a secondary since release and a month ago I decided to diverge from the meta build (133X). I tried a few combinations but was most surprised by 131X, opting to not take the hero spin of early jank kills. Stone scabbard has so many useful qualities that, in my opinion, makes Mii swordfighter much more consistent and less abusable. My results in ES have much improved since I've moved to SS over HS, but I know winning ES isn't anything special around here.

SS gives the character both a great recovery and the ability to edgeguard, and with playstyle changes I've found I can still kill early consistently since Mii sword has so many kill confirms/combos that do not require heros spin. It took some practice to get consistent with all the non-HS kill confirms but they work just fine. (Dthrow>uair, gale>uair, slowchak>X, first fair hits>Usmash Etc).

SS also secures a few kills itself with recovery mixups, but this may just be due to people not knowing the move.

If you've given SS a thorough chance, I'd like to hear criticisms. Otherwise, consider giving it a try.

12Tables

Smash Rookie
I've been using 1313 and 1312 since late January. I've found that SS is much better I'd you are using Chakram because it gives you a very good recovery. Mii swordfighter has one of the faster air speeds so you can normally make use of good di plus an air dodge and still be able to jump and up b from magnifying glass. (practice this). SS is great for mixups on recovery for going high as well as drop up b as a get up option. SS also allows for random ledge spikes (don't use it to suicide with you die first), and has a true kill comfirm (up hit to slam) when using it under a ledge at ~120%. Yeah it's a great move. It's only weakness is recovering from pure horizontal (0 to - 15) knockback (Sakurai angle). Oh and if SS's attack gets shielded you will get punished.

Dbap

Smash Rookie
I've been using 1313 and 1312 since late January. I've found that SS is much better I'd you are using Chakram because it gives you a very good recovery. Mii swordfighter has one of the faster air speeds so you can normally make use of good di plus an air dodge and still be able to jump and up b from magnifying glass. (practice this). SS is great for mixups on recovery for going high as well as drop up b as a get up option. SS also allows for random ledge spikes (don't use it to suicide with you die first), and has a true kill comfirm (up hit to slam) when using it under a ledge at ~120%. Yeah it's a great move. It's only weakness is recovering from pure horizontal (0 to - 15) knockback (Sakurai angle). Oh and if SS's attack gets shielded you will get punished.
Glad to hear somebody else agrees, actually I already have noticed the recovery tactic you mentioned, it's super useful. I've found you can sometimes make it back from fairly sharp horizontal angles but yeah theres definitely one dead spot I've noticed.

I'm still really surprised so few people opt to use SS, at this point I couldn't imagine using the other two more popular (from what I've seen on forums/online) options.

ComeOut

Smash Rookie
I like it the best as well, but I dont use nado. Its not as great of an out of shield option as spin, but it still can work vs laggy moves. I also find it to be good at punishing air dodges after a missed upair. Swordfighter has very short jumps so without it people can easily get away from you by double jumping. its also quite good at letting you land if you are near the ledge. It takes a bit of practice but is very difficult to stop you from just getting to ledge from the air<you can also mix it up by going straight for the opponent, but if they shield you eat a huge punish. The best time to try this mix up is in the bubble imo since it is harder to react to.

I think if you disregard all other aspects, recovery wise its by far his best option. It is deceptively versatile due to its horizontal drift, and because it has such an amazing vertical height, you can mix up when you grab the ledge by a large margin. The spike hitbox makes it a lot scarier to edgeguard since you probably won't be able to tech it like the others. Unfortunately the spike is pretty weak, but at higher % it will do the job. I also find that Miis dair really only gimps people with good recoveries if you go super deep, so SS is the only way to use it and live.

Of course it has drawbacks as well. Out of the three options, it is the most restrictive for where you can recover, so projectiles like bowling ball, splat bomb, and turnips all are much easier to disrupt it <you can try drifting around them but it is still limited> it is also not great for using early. 2 and 3 both can cover horizontal distance better, but you pretty much need to burn your jump with just ss. If you get hit out of that jump you are most likely just dead as well. It also doesnt kill unless you are near the ledge and around 130% range Personally I use side b 2 <the horizontal thrust similar to ike's side b> to cover some of the weaknesses in this recovery.

Top Bottom