• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

STILL cant be my cheap ass classmate smh lol

roysrevengefgc

Smash Apprentice
NNID
roysrevengefgc
We played again and i have been monitoring his gameplay and he is just a cheap ass player lol he chooses Ike and he just counters and side B's the entire match. i keep getting caught by it and it irritating TF outta me. He isnt good,just cheap af lol i wouldnt be salty af if he were good but i need to find a way to out cheap this mofo before i lose my **** lol just need advice on how to handle a cheap sonic,thanks

roysrevengefgc

Smash Apprentice
NNID
roysrevengefgc
Who do you main?
captain falcon

play bayo that’s all you need
trying to stick with falcon and learn him before i venture off to other characters

Disclaimer: I am not up to speed on terminology or attack names, if I make an error please feel free to correct me!

To be more specific as to what he does: When the match beings, he will immediately spin charge and then spin dash. He will ride the bottom of the stage and if I block he will go up and nair. Most of the time I will be able to read his homing attacks and spin dashes but I STILL cannot get the upper hand. I find myself falling for the SAME attacks over and over even when ik he is going to throw them out. Feels Like I just walk into them even when ik he is going to throw them out. I either dodge when he does the spin dash or I falcon kick to clash with him or do damage. However he just spin dashes across the stage for the ENTIRE match and does nothing else but that and homing attack. He uses 3 attacks and that’s about it. I can air dodge when he does a up smash but the end lag lets him forward smash me immediately afterwards. I try to camp and bait him out but he just knows how to throw out dash attacks and it makes it hard for me to read them. He just repeats the same 3 attacks over and over and I cant even predict and I KNOW I should be able to lol its upsetting not because I lose but because I lose to someone who plays using the SAME 3 attacks over and over again. Idk if I need to bait him more or just run and grab the entire match but its hard to dash gran him because he pretty much sees it coming even when I mix it up. I need a cheap strategy to deal with this cheap ass sonic lol

Last edited by a moderator:

link2702

Smash Champion
No offense but if all he’s doing is side b and counter, you’re playing like absolute garbage to get beat by it. Just from those two descriptions you gave it’s clear you play painfully predictably, and are walking into some of the most basic easily beaten strategies.

There is nothing “cheap” about how your friend is playing; you’re just being way to easy to read and walking into things you absolutely should not be.

I’m sorry that sounds harsh but it’s like when I saw people complaining about Ike in brawl cuz they kept getting hit by his charged fsmash ...when he started charging it from clear across the stage. At that point you have no one to blame but yourself if you get hit by it.

roysrevengefgc

Smash Apprentice
NNID
roysrevengefgc
No offense but if all he’s doing is side b and counter, you’re playing like absolute garbage to get beat by it. Just from those two descriptions you gave it’s clear you play painfully predictably, and are walking into some of the most basic easily beaten strategies.

There is nothing “cheap” about how your friend is playing; you’re just being way to easy to read and walking into things you absolutely should not be.

I’m sorry that sounds harsh but it’s like when I saw people complaining about Ike in brawl cuz they kept getting hit by his charged fsmash ...when he started charging it from clear across the stage. At that point you have no one to blame but yourself if you get hit by it.
Thats cool, i just need advice on how to read him better

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
Try being patient? Do an option that would suprise him and yourself?

roysrevengefgc

Smash Apprentice
NNID
roysrevengefgc
Try being patient? Do an option that would suprise him and yourself?
i get psyched out when i try to bait him because i end up second guessing myself. I also end up walking into his fully charged smash when i tell myself he will fire off before i get there and i will have enough time to Dair him but i LITERALLY walk into it when he fires it off.

and Captain falcon is his WORST match up lol

origamiscienceguy

Smash Apprentice
If he is charging spin dash, stop whatever you are doing and just hold the jab button. Jab will beat spindash every time.

link2702

Smash Champion
Ok so now I’m a bit confused, your first post was partly complaining about Ike, but then seemed to shift over to sonic now that I reread it.

So is it both Ike and sonic you’re struggling against, or just sonic?

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I didn't watch these all the way through to see if Captain Falcon wins, but watch these. Fatality is the top Captain Falcon player of Sm4sh. See how he deals with Sonic.

Those are recent videos. Honestly, just look up "fatality falcon sonic" on YouTube and look for the most recent videos. These two are about a month ago.

origamiscienceguy

Smash Apprentice
what should i do if he dashes upward or around me
Captain falcon has an amazing up air. It has very little Lansing lag, combos nicely, and covers a big area. Go to training mode, and get a feel for landing up-air combos. Figure out what percents different follow-ups work, and how to excecute it correctly. If he is jumping above you, falcons up-air should beat everything sonic can do except maybe back air (I don’t main either character, so that assumption could be wrong). You just need to know what tools your character has to beat sonics.

Sonics weakness is a lack of range on his Hitboxes. If you can be either always putting a hitboxes in front of you, or prepared to put a hitboxes in front of you, sonic can have trouble getting in. I don’t main falcon, so I am really just spitballing. Find whatever tool he has that best beats Sonics bad range, and use it a lot. I think standing jab and up air is the best, but you might find something that works even better.

HuntHuntHunt

Smash Rookie
I main Sonic, and I am currently 11th at IU (to add a little credibility to my advice). Falcon is an even MU, and is one that Sonic should play bait-and-punishy. Your rapid jab beats SD (literally just hold down A in neutral and if he is as bad as you say he will run in and take the ~11%). If you can read his homing attack then spot-dodge. If Sonic hits a shield out of homing attack he will bounce off at an angle he can choose with relatively small end-lag. However, If he hits the stage he will be stuck for long enough for you to: U-smash, Knee, B-air, etc. If you want help reading players I recommend Fatality's video on how he assesses mental states.

A Scrub

BonghornLeghorn
NNID
BonghornLeghorn
I main Sonic, and I am currently 11th at IU (to add a little credibility to my advice). Falcon is an even MU, and is one that Sonic should play bait-and-punishy. Your rapid jab beats SD (literally just hold down A in neutral and if he is as bad as you say he will run in and take the ~11%). If you can read his homing attack then spot-dodge. If Sonic hits a shield out of homing attack he will bounce off at an angle he can choose with relatively small end-lag. However, If he hits the stage he will be stuck for long enough for you to: U-smash, Knee, B-air, etc. If you want help reading players I recommend Fatality's video on how he assesses mental states.
Could you please post a link to said video? I'd be very interested.

HuntHuntHunt

Smash Rookie

roysrevengefgc

Smash Apprentice
NNID
roysrevengefgc
so i played him again today and lost again smh he used Marth this time and not sonic. i have concluded i suck at reads and need to learn to be more patient. Its just odd af to me that i cannot beat someone who is cheap af and just does minimal moves when i can beat people at tournaments who are tech monsters no problem and i don't even feel salty when i lose against them. Just losing against him is driving me apes*** crazy because i cannot read his minimal moves or my reaction time is off

Crystanium

Smash Hero
so i played him again today and lost again smh he used Marth this time and not sonic. i have concluded i suck at reads and need to learn to be more patient. Its just odd af to me that i cannot beat someone who is cheap af and just does minimal moves when i can beat people at tournaments who are tech monsters no problem and i don't even feel salty when i lose against them. Just losing against him is driving me apes*** crazy because i cannot read his minimal moves or my reaction time is off
I know I posted this in one of your threads, but please read this (or reread). I understand being salty. I also understand that it annoys people a lot. Ask the Sm4sh Samus Discord. Marth is entirely different from Sonic, so while he doesn't have the speed Sonic has, he has a blade, which is a disjointed hitbox. If you hit his sword, it may clank, but it won't deal any damage against him. It might deal damage to you, depending on what attack you use. This only happens on the ground.

It's time for you to stop thinking of your opponent as "cheap" and start thinking of him as a good player who may know what he's doing. I understand minimal moves as well. If you play a character (Captain Falcon in your case), you should develop an understanding of what attack is fast. I use Samus. While Samus' jab 1 isn't good because of what's called the Sakurai angle, I use it anyway. However, instead of pressing "A, A" to jab twice, I simply press "A" to jab once. It's 3 frames, deals 3%, and when the opponent takes more damage around 50%, the jab pushes the opponent away.

This jab 1 that I use, I use as a wall. I also use tilts, z-air, and Charge Shot. In other words, if I counted how many attacks I use with Samus, it would be 6 moves. I might use more, but I use six for the most part, and of the six, z-air, jab, and f-tilt are my main choices with Samus. That's only 3 moves. Now, when I play online or against my brother, I set up a wall this way. If my opponent runs at me, I can use jab 1 or f-tilt. Since jab 1 is the fastest, I could use that to just stop my opponent if he or she dashes toward me in an attempt to grab me or attack me with a dash attack. The latter may clank.

So when you use Captain Falcon, you need to understand him. You need to know what attacks are quick and when to use them. For example, using Raptor Boost or Falcon Kick are probably not the best attacks to use against Sonic or Marth. Captain Falcon's jab, u-tilt, f-tilt, n-air, f-air, b-air, or d-air are probably good options for Captain Falcon to use to rack up damage against his opponents. D-throw to u-air works, but you can find other ways to combo with him. When you learn to combo, you'll deal a lot of damage on your opponent. Combos are guaranteed to hit, provided you use them properly.

Stop getting upset that your classmate is beating you. Try to develop a different attitude instead of beating yourself up over it or letting it get to you. Learn to find openings, i.e., finding the appropriate times when your opponent is vulnerable to an attack. Does he shield a lot? Then grab him. Does he dodge a lot? Then wait for his dodge animation to finish and hit him. Does he roll a lot? Don't roll with him. Try to short hop in the direction he rolls so you're still in front of him. He has to wait for the roll animation to finish, but you don't if you don't roll with him. Or, if he rolls around you, try a d-smash or f-smash in the direction he's going to roll.

When you play someone who is better than you, you'll improve anyway. Ask for tips from him or what he sees you doing. Hopefully he'll tell you what he does and why it works against you. You're better off playing against someone who wants you to improve so that you both can develop your skills. Playing against someone who doesn't want to tell you what you're doing wrong (if he or she knows what you're doing wrong) is not someone worth playing with. Or, it might be worth it to you. Just take your losses as opportunities to learn and improve. You can see that a Sonic player ( HuntHuntHunt HuntHuntHunt ) is willing to give you advice, since he understands Sonic.

Don't worry about losing. Otherwise, you won't have any fun with this game, and if you're not having fun, you might not get any better. I'm sure people here would be more than happy for you to improve. I would be happy for you to improve. So just relax, have fun, and learn. Learning to play is the first step to becoming better.

Edit: Also, if you're looking at Captain Falcon when you play, don't. Look at Sonic or whoever your opponent is. This way, you'll see what your opponent is doing and can find patterns.

roysrevengefgc

Smash Apprentice
NNID
roysrevengefgc
We played another rematch today and i took my W today. He picked sonic and i 2 stocked him out of 3. I played against a level 8 and 9 sonic for two weeks and counted frames/hitboxes before i faced him again to win. I went to my local arcade yesterday and played 3 stock 5 minutes for about 6 hours. Manged to play against someone else who was a link and mewtwo main helping me work on my defense a lot more. After beating him today i noticed i was a MUCH bigger defensive player than when i fought him previously. i was able to spot dodge all of his attacks and shield a lot more effectively. i was jabbing his dash attack, raptor punching him after his smash whiffed (which can kill sonic) and grabbed him after spot dodging his smashes. I played then ground game better and stayed out of the air, stopped spiking so much which left me open, and punished EVERY missed/whiffed/shielded smash he threw at me. At the end of the first match (Best two out of 3) he began to just run away because he didnt know how to counter all of my attacks lol he litterally ran around the stage just jumping and running like he had no idea what he was doing. I up aired him and killed his sonic when he missed his spin dash. He counter picked pac man because he knew ik how to beat his sonic. He literally threw fruit and fire hydrants the entire match lol nothing else, we ended up going to sudden death and i falcon kicked him out.

I studied the falcon and sonic match up to practice good counter techniques to beat him. ik he doesn't do well under pressure and just runs out the clock for a win. He also recognizes when i have figured out his match up and habits regardless of who he picks. Ik all his counter picks now (he plays several characters) and now i am going to proceed to play against them to prepare for the money match next week. Thanks again everyone for the info, advice, and tech advice. Helped me finally get my win lol

origamiscienceguy

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, ask your friend for tips on how to beat him. None of us can coach you effectively if we aren’t seeing the matches.

Top Bottom