• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Still can’t figure out short hopping after a year. :/

ShulkinatorZeke

Smash Rookie
I’ve been practicing short hopping, and I can’t seem to get it quite how I want it. I’ve tried practicing on a pro and wireless GameCube controller by softly pushing the jump buttons, but they have resistance until they instantaneously click in once enough pressure is applied (which often times is too much). It would make it easier if the buttons would push in smoothly and uniformly instead.
I’ve tried the A+Y trick, which allows for a SHORTER jump but not as low of a jump as the video I will show below. (It’s the 3rd jump in the clip)
https://twitter.com/lightshadtorin/status/1138232060806455296?s=21

The first two jumps are about as high as a Y+A jump will give me. Never been able to jump as low as the 3rd one.

Last edited:

ShulkinatorZeke

Smash Rookie
Any help is very much appreciated.
Sorry accidentally hit submit before finishing why I’m having a problem but I don’t know how to delete this and redo it.
EDIT: Edited the post, all the info is there now.

Last edited:

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
The Speed art reduces Shulk's jump height. Doing attack and jump at the same time OR two jump buttons at the same time will give you a short hop. If it's higher than the one in that clip, it's probably because your character just jumps higher than that (Speed Shulk has a pretty low jump height).

ShulkinatorZeke

Smash Rookie
That makes tons of sense thank you! Do you have any tips on perfecting a short hop without relying on the double tap? Is it determined by how fast the button is pressed, or how softly it is pressed?

Last edited:

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
That makes tons of sense thank you! Do you have any tips on perfecting a short hop without relying on the double tap? Is it determined by how fast the button is pressed, or how softly it is pressed?
It depends on the speed. Since jumpsquats in Ultimate are 3 frames for every character, to short hop you need to either use one of the jump+attack or jump+jump macros or push jump and then release it within the 3 frames before your character leaves the ground.

Khao

Smash Lord
None of Nintendo's controllers have pressure-sensitive face buttons, it's all about speed. If you're trying to press buttons slowly, that's probably your problem in the first place, as that will inevitably be a slower motion. Try the exact opposite. Push the button as quickly as possible and bounce your finger back immediately.

ShulkinatorZeke

Smash Rookie
Thanx! Good to know that it’s about speed rather than pressure!
I guess I’m not familiar with all the terms the community uses even though I’ve been playing since I was a kid. Are Jump Squats the combination of short hopping and fast falling?
Also is there any page on here that has a list of combat names to be aware of like Jump Squats, Nair, forward smash, and etc?

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
I guess I’m not familiar with all the terms the community uses even though I’ve been playing since I was a kid. Are Jump Squats the combination of short hopping and fast falling?
Also is there any page on here that has a list of combat names to be aware of like Jump Squats, Nair, forward smash, and etc?
Jumpsquat is the time between pressing the jump button and the character leaving the ground.
While by no means complete, there is a partial glossary here: http://kuroganehammer.com/Glossary

FartyParty

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7316-5581-8026
I've come to favor the shortcut with pressing two jump buttons at once, but if you're trying to short hop with just one jump button, don't even really "press" the button. Rather, quickly drag your finger across the button. You get a faster input that way as opposed to pressing your finger down and raising it back up.

yyy50yyy

Smash Rookie
I have found a huge help for me in learning just how to short-hop is to press the least amount of the X button possible to get an input and slide it off the bottom of the button. This trick also allows me to get a faster nair or any other aerial as my thumb is on its way down to the c stick.

Top Bottom