• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Steve...

mbit99

Smash Rookie
From what I see from recent gameplays, Steve sounds... OP when he has blocks and gets his diamond things... But is it true?

My main question is, if you are a smash ultimate competition committee or you are the players who play for the competition, will you ban STEVE over all characters or you will still ban other characters over STEVE?

Please, answer this objectively and based on what the game serves you, not based only on own taste..

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
This isn't Brawl. We don't ban characters. This isn't subjective, there are no broken characters in this game and there likely never will be, with how good Sakurai is doing at balance. There are probably more mid-tier characters than ever which is an amazing thing.
Steve is an interesting case. He's the most unorthodox character in the game and came out in the middle of a pandemic that forces most of us to practice online. It's practically impossible to know how good he is yet. I don't think we'll truly know until at least a month or so in the future.
My guess though? He has great frame data and tools, but has bad mobility and needs time to mine, and in competitive Ultimate, time to breath is a luxury. He destroys some characters and gets destroyed by others. But nothing I've seen has made me think he's overpowered. I would never choose to ban any character in this game, unless Sakurai just went absolute bonkers and somehow made another Sm4sh Bayo, and I don't see that happening.

mbit99

Smash Rookie
"This isn't Brawl. We don't ban characters. This isn't subjective, there are no broken characters in this game and there likely never will be, with how good Sakurai is doing at balance. There are probably more mid-tier characters than ever which is an amazing thing."

Whoa, this is like a surprise to me to know but oh okay then...

"Steve is an interesting case. He's the most unorthodox character in the game and came out in the middle of a pandemic that forces most of us to practice online. It's practically impossible to know how good he is yet. I don't think we'll truly know until at least a month or so in the future.

My guess though? He has great frame data and tools, but has bad mobility and needs time to mine, and in competitive Ultimate, time to breath is a luxury. He destroys some characters and gets destroyed by others. But nothing I've seen has made me think he's overpowered. I would never choose to ban any character in this game, unless Sakurai just went absolute bonkers and somehow made another Sm4sh Bayo, and I don't see that happening."

Hmmm... Oh okay then

Etheus Rook

Smash Apprentice
As far as character banning goes, it would be nice if the game offered players the ability to selectively ban characters before character selection, rather than trying to officially ban characters at tournaments.

Top Bottom